Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was the biggest war criminal of Killzone 2?
Rico
Sev
Visari
Blind Sally
Killzone 1
Crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

It's a good write-up, if I do say so myself. Only problem is, the guy in that picture isn't Hooper. Yeah, Hooper is a generic looking ISA space marine guy and it's easy to confuse them, but he's not that generic looking ISA space marine guy in particular. So crow and I quickly went to task getting different screen grabs of Hooper for a new, more accurate, portrait. Unfortunately, they're both hilariously awkward and I love them both and can't decide on which one to keep in the post. Instead, we figured to let the thread decide. Which does everyone prefer:

Catching-flies-in-his-mouth Hooper?

or Sad-meme-face Hooper?

Sad meme face Hooper for sure. It's only appropriate for a game whose world is now so thoroughly, uh, hooped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Blind Sally posted:

or Sad-meme-face Hooper?

My vote is on Sad Hooper. Because he probably has all rights to be sad at what is to come.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Definitely sad Hooper.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WHICH OF YOU FUCKERS VOTED FOR SEV :byodood:

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Sad meme man

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

WHICH OF YOU FUCKERS VOTED FOR SEV :byodood:

Hig supporter, that's who.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

While open fly mouth IS hilarious, the sad face better explores the reality of the situation created by Rico's wonderful competence.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'd say that's enough to call the vote then. Sad Meme Hooper is our chosen portrait. Now we just need to wait for Sally's self-inflicted probation to expire.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

Sad Meme Hooper is our chosen portrait.

It's done.

The next step is to create dozens of Sad Hooper memes :unsmigghh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, I do hope you're all watching the commentary-less single player videos, for which I apologize there being no commentary for because Blind Sally is a lazy gently caress currently busy with important Real Life things at the moment, because there's some rather choice stuff in there that's not seen in the co-op videos:

I might do a solo commentary run at them or drag in CJacobs or some else from my Ace Combat commentary pool just to have a commentary version of them too if I get some free time soon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
YES LET'S DO IT I'M DOWN FOR IT

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The more I hear that Helghan accent, the more I sense a joke about current events ready to go off at any moment.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
#hexit

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm watching the single player videos, mostly to enjoy the story without you two knuckleheads yapping over it.

I think I'm finally starting to understand what you're talking about with the two levels of plot going on. For Sev and Rico, it's all explosions, noise, and uncertainty, kind of like (I imagine) what's it's like to be in an actual engagement. We can't get more info, however, because that could make the shootbangs more complicated. We don't need to know that we're the last piece of the ISA army. We only need to know our next objective, and how we're going to achieve it.

Narville's role isn't to be a pain in the rear end, it's to relay the orders of high command, even if they contradict what we on the ground think is "right". As grunts, we can't know what the general knows (or even what Narville knows), or we wouldn't be able to do our job.

I'm super looking forward to what the game will throw at our intrepid hunks of beef next.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that Rico thinks he and Sev are still friends after what he did to Visari, it's cute and kind of sad in a way

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"Hey man, I said I was sorry, what the gently caress do you want from me?"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

I like that Rico thinks he and Sev are still friends after what he did to Visari and Garza, it's cute and kind of sad in a way

ftfy

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's been some posts in the past about how some of the Killzone weapons are based on real ones, but I was looking at the HS Produkt VHS-2 assault rifle out of Croatia and it looks pretty Helghan itself:

Even better, this rifle was made after Killzone 3.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love rifles where all the grabby holdy bits are in front of the magazine, they feel very ~futuristic~ design-wise

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

There's been some posts in the past about how some of the Killzone weapons are based on real ones, but I was looking at the HS Produkt VHS-2 assault rifle out of Croatia and it looks pretty Helghan itself:

Even better, this rifle was made after Killzone 3.

Yeah I was about say that. But that one is ridiculously Sci-fi and I love it.

The Polish FB MSBS Radon is another one of those guns I just think look incredibly sci-fi as well. It almost looks like an ISA weapon in comparison.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

CJacobs posted:

I love rifles where all the grabby holdy bits are in front of the magazine, they feel very ~futuristic~ design-wise

Maybe it's me, but bullpup rifles always seem like they'd be really awkward to handle. I mean, I understand the theoretical benefits, but... I dunno, magazine out front just looks more right.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The worst thing is that he looks like an early 2000s rap-metal drummer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
one more dank Killzone meme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4-En48Rkmk

This one is informative, I swear. I collected all the clips of horrible bullshit that Sev has been through in the past 24 in-game hours.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rico's the worst.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

one more dank Killzone meme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4-En48Rkmk

This one is informative, I swear. I collected all the clips of horrible bullshit that Sev has been through in the past 24 in-game hours.

killzone.mov

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love how 90% of the horrible poo poo in that video is all Rico.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Do you know what this game is like? It's like you watched Gavrilo Princip shoot Archduke Ferdinand and his wife, have started to see Europe descend into the bloodiest war in world history...and you've gotta go into work with the guy the next day, and he still doesn't understand what he did wrong. How do you act in a situation like that? There's no etiquette guide for that.

I know you guys are probably going to be talking a lot about the problems of Helghan worship in the Killzone fanbase in future videos, but I wanted to mention that there are ways that you could make a Helghan-centric game that doesn't descent into fascist power fantasy. I recently read Jaegir: Beasts Within, a spin-off series from 2000AD's Rogue Trooper comics that focuses on the Norts, the antagonists of the series who are, for all intents and purposes, '80s Brit sf-comic renditions of the Helghast. The comics follow a police agent who makes her living prosecuting enemies of the state and killing dangerous mutants, but the real energy of the comic comes from discovering the systemic dysfunctionality of her society (depicted as a sadistic, even more cynical rendition of the stagnation-era USSR in space), and how she and everyone around her deal with it. It doesn't glamorize the Norts, but it humanizes them, and you can see how people could fit together and get by in such a place. Something like that could be doable in the Killzone context: some sort of game that has you running head-on into the grievance-holding and post-corporate military-industrial fiefdom bullshit of Helghan society, with you as a character who's given the backstory of someone who feels themselves alienated from their society (even if they do subscribe to other aspects of it with little comment).

Also, I forgot to point this out, but in the prologue mission I'm pretty sure disguised!Rico is still carrying around his ISA light machine gun (in the middle of the biggest small arms plant on Helghan) and he even talks once or twice without trying to fake a Helghan accent. Man, you can just imagine it now; Rico's all happy because he gets to play Shadow Marshal while Sev's just thinking "Yeah, good job, Solid Snake, you're a regular Agent 47 jesus christ why didn't i leave you in a loving dumpster gently caress my life gently caress everything gently caress gently caress gently caress"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

I love how 90% of the horrible poo poo in that video is all Rico.

Yeah. I think the only things you can't pin directly on Rico are Templar and Evelyn's deaths and Visari detonating Red Dust, though I'm sure if you were keen enough to you could work Rico into the equation.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah. I think the only things you can't pin directly on Rico are Templar and Evelyn's deaths and Visari detonating Red Dust, though I'm sure if you were keen enough to you could work Rico into the equation.

Doesn't Rico unknowingly help the Helgast get the Red Dust Bomb in the first place?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

Doesn't Rico unknowingly help the Helgast get the Red Dust Bomb in the first place?

Stratson gave Metrac and Cobar Red Dust shortly before Templar, Rico, and Hallucinatory Hakha arrived in Rayhoven. He just tried to pin it on Rico by sending him on that double blind covert ops mission into Metrac's camp and then burning him once Rico had feigned his defection. At most you could say that Rico unknowingly helped Metrac smuggle Red Dust off of Vekta, but at that time it was still useless to the Helghast because they didn't get the detonation codes out of Evelyn, nor any information they could use to reverse engineer the detonation trigger.

But I can definitely see how the case can be made.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Also Sev wasn't there for that. Would he even be surprised if someone told him, at this point?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Marshal Radisic posted:

Also, I forgot to point this out, but in the prologue mission I'm pretty sure disguised!Rico is still carrying around his ISA light machine gun (in the middle of the biggest small arms plant on Helghan) and he even talks once or twice without trying to fake a Helghan accent. Man, you can just imagine it now; Rico's all happy because he gets to play Shadow Marshal while Sev's just thinking "Yeah, good job, Solid Snake, you're a regular Agent 47 jesus christ why didn't i leave you in a loving dumpster gently caress my life gently caress everything gently caress gently caress gently caress"

This is true. Rico's Helghan accent is terrible. I'm willing to give him a little bit of a pass one carrying around the LMG, since the ISA and Helghast use eachothers' equipment fairly frequently. The Helghast often use ISA shotguns, for example, and the ISA are pretty much dependent on Helghast medical technology for their field medics. Though that said, I've never seen a Helghast use an ISA LMG in game when Helghast LMGs are generally, as a rule, much better than what the Vektans can bring to the table. Soooooo, uh, I guess I don't really give Rico a pass. That was dumb. He should have had a Stahl Arms gun in hand.

Also, knowing Rico, wearing a Helghast uniform is probably a walking nightmare for him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazy Bear posted:

Maybe it's me, but bullpup rifles always seem like they'd be really awkward to handle. I mean, I understand the theoretical benefits, but... I dunno, magazine out front just looks more right.

There are pluses and minuses. The big reason they were created is that having the barrel go so far back into the gun allows for you to get a really long barrel length (meaning better accuracy and power) with a shorter external barrel length, basically a carbine with the power and accuracy of a full-size rifle. That's about the only positive, though. They're back-heavy, obviously, and more awkward to reload without a lot of practice. Only a few bullpups are left-hand friendly because you need to design the gun from the ground up to be ambidextrous, as traditional rifles can easily be shot left-handed with only minor problems but a bullpup will spit hot casings directly into your face if you try that; a good example of an ambidextrous Bullpup is the FN F2000, which pushes the casings down a chute so they fall out the front of the rifle and has a dial-like fire selector near the trigger.

In the list of Killzone guns based on real ones, the ISA assault rifle looks a lot like a British L85:

The shotgun is a SPAS-12:

The Helghast SMG is a Soviet PP-19 Bizon:

The ISA light machine gun is an FN Minimi, famously used as the M249 SAW in the United States:

And in keeping with the Nazi-esque imagery, the Helghast machine gun is a nearly unmodified MG 42:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
At least they made the Helgast's main assault rifle a French one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chitoryu12 posted:

The shotgun is a SPAS-12:

AKA the standard video game shotgun, period.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So we just recorded the alternate Single Player commentary for the first third of the game. So Missions 1 and 2 should be up either later tonight or tomorrow, so soon you too can experience the wonder that is "a solid minute of Jobbo and Argate belching before we start the video" :barf:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm suddenly glad I was too ill to record with you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Presented against my better judgement and the will of Blind Sally, in loving memory of CJacobs, and in defiance of peace and sanity, I give to you here and now, Let Us Playeth Killzone the 3rd, the Alternate Reading. Joining me for the duration of these first three chapters are visiting scholars ChaosArgate and Jobbo_Fett.

I [Crow] have been progressively dragging ChaosArgate closer and closer into my orbit of insanity via Ace Combat and now Killzone, and he has, up till now, been a rather good sport about it. Argate has tackled LPs of (among other things), Saints Row IV, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Sleeping Dogs (with Jobbo), and the Restless Leg Syndrome-curingly* amazing Devil's Third (with Jobbo and my LP nemesis Artix).

Jobbo_Fett, meanwhile is no stranger to the Killzone LP threads. In addition to joining Argate for Devils Third, Sleeping Dogs and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, he also helmed an LP of 007 Legends with Argate, and is currently running LPs of Panzer Corps and The Amazing Adventures of Johnny McPotatoFace The Saboteur with ChaosArgate and a host of guest commentators (like me and Blind Sally! :buddy:)

* NOTE: Watching the Devil's Third LP will not cure Restless Leg Syndrome. Please consult a doctor before viewing.

• Locked thread