Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was the biggest war criminal of Killzone 2?
Rico
Sev
Visari
Blind Sally
Killzone 1
Crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Fish Noise posted:

There's plenty of good character conflicts in this, but the absolute best is between crow and grenades.
Now with extra Rico-blaming.

nine-gear crow posted:

And really, at this point? I think the MAWLR is a better conversation partner for Sev than Narville and Rico

Blind Sally posted:

He realizes that he is an FPS protagonist in a video game.
C'mere, Helghast! Sev's got somethin' to say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:eyepop:

edit:

Killzone 3:

edit again: The filename :pusheen:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SIGSEGV posted:

Also I wonder how they are going to de-orbit a space elevator, unless it's a shorter than full scale elevator and therefore an active structure, it's supposed to go away from the planet if the cable's tension isn't there to hold it since it is orbiting at geosynchronous speed higher than a geosynchronous (helgasynchronous?) orbit.

tbh, I don't think Sev knows what he's talking about regarding the space elevator.

Fish Noise posted:

lol

that's beautiful

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

These are amazing. I might actually get the first one as an avatar one day. :allears:

"Hey SEV! Why don't you use grenades?"
"This why, Rico. THIS is why!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I also want to give a special SA shoutout to this amazing YouTube commentor who left this gem for the final video of Killzone: Liberation

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha, well played, Tim Harrison.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

nine-gear crow posted:

I might actually get the first one as an avatar one day. :allears:
Nah, you gotta maintain your theme.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fish Noise posted:

THE FILENAME :pusheen:

THE EVERYTHING :pusheen::pusheen:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Fish Noise posted:

Brilliant. Just brilliant. :golfclap:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's beautiful! Play Dark Souls already, crow!!!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Blind Sally posted:

It's beautiful! Play Dark Souls already, crow!!!

I look forward to his BOOM! only run.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Last time on Killzone...

Just to get it out of the way: I love how the two narratives, that of the ISA and the several month long argument between Stahl and Orlock, intertwine in this chapter. We begin with a shot of the ISA soldiers riding up the space elevator to the station, then quickly switch to an image an advanced Helghast Cruiser--

--where we find Stahl about to board the station to meet Orlock.

By now, I hope that you all know Stahl well enough to know that he isn't just going to take Orlock's appointment as Autarch lying down.

As their ships dock with the space station--

--the ISA catch a glimpse of them through the window. This will be a recurring motif throughout the stage: the ISA as background characters. Right now, the focus of this chapter is the struggle between Orlock and Stahl. It's barrelling towards its ultimate conclusion as Sev and co. struggle through the station. By the time either Stahl or Orlock realize the threat that the ISA pose, it will quite literally be too late for them to do anything about it.

Even as Orlock's aides warn of him their presence on the station, not to mention the fact that they took down the loving MAWLR, Orlock brushes it off. In his mind, the ISA are all but an after thought. Stahl is his only real enemy now and he plans to revel in his defeat.

The final conflict begins. Two warriors grumpy old men size each other up before battle.

Well, let's be honest, Stahl, neither of you brought very men. That said, I agree. Orlock is underestimating his opponent. This may be intentional, an attempt to throw shade in order to further insult Stahl. Still really foolish. Orlock plans to have Stahl killed and he brought along a retinue of soldiers that are, quite frankly, outclasses. Stahl's troopers are more heavily armed and armoured. They have gigantic electricity cannons on them.

Orlock is being foolishly arrogant.

Yup. Super, super arrogant. Look at the smug look on his face. This is a man who thinks he's already one, who is toying with his prey before going in for the kill.

An excellent shot here. Upon first viewing, it doesn't seem all that ominous. A quick glimpse at the soldiers standing behind Orlock. Perhaps they're tense. Makes sense, they're getting ready to put a bullet in Stahl and his troops.

Of course, Stahl has already planned ahead. The silent disappointment on Orlock's face is majestic. So much rage must be boiling under the surface. Again, the facial expressions in this game are amazing.

Look at this. Look at this face. This is the face of a man who was centimetres, no, millimetres away from ultimate victory over his most hated foe, only to completely loving botch it in the end. Shoulda brought more people Orlock. Shoulda shot Stahl as he walked in. Shoulda just torpedoed his ship from orbit. Heck, you shoulda bombarded Stahl Arms from orbit with Stahl inside. You shoulda done a thousand things differently, but instead here we are.

Good job.

Good job, Orlock.

Well done.

Stahl then immediately decides to show his superiority to Orlock by doing what Orlock should've done in the first place by, uh... w-wait, by blowing up other Helghast? Well, gently caress it, it looks like we're in for a coup. You've messed up Orlock. If Stahl can get himself elected by the Senate, he'll make himself Autarch.

It's at this point we discover that Stahl has created energy shield. Presumably from irradiated petrusite, since that's the macguffin that just keep on giving--oh, and due to the green hue. This is a pretty big game changer for the Killzone universe. We know this from Orlock's reaction:

The ramifications are huge. If it's petrusite-based, this is a technology neither Vekta nor Earth have. Stahl will be able to fly his ships in largely unopposed and enforce his will on any other planet in the galaxy.

This has gone too far, even for Orlock.

Mean bastard though he is, Orlock still has an internal moral compass of some sort.

Stahl, having rubbed Orlock's face in it a bit, finally draws his weapon, ready to end it.

But even Stahl can't help but do the villain's monologue, even after he showed up Orlock for doing it. Orlock, who conveniently always carries around a blade with him ever since his rough childhood on the streets of Helghan (this isn't mentioned in-game--probably in the tie-in novel, I don't remember), makes his move.

Between this and Rico, Guerrilla is drat good at giving their audience what they want. I mean, look at that face: this is an incredible "oh poo poo!" moment that Stahl is on the receiving end of.

Seriously, though, why is everyone such a colossal screw up? You shoulda just shot him, Stahl, etc., etc.

The nameless mooks make short work of each other--

--and Orlock suddenly has the upper hand once again. Only this time it's down to the two grumpy old men.

Stahl ducks out of the scene--

--and we're reminded that the ISA are still very much a thing. I love that there's this incredibly intense and personal battle for the very future of Helghan taking place on one side of the space station, and here we are on the other just doing our own thing watching it all fall apart from the outside. We're going to keep doing our own thing, and again, by the time Orlock or Stahl realize what a threat the ISA still are, it will be way too late.

It's also at this point that we get our last orders from Narville. The plan to warn Earth and deorbit the space station is out of the window. Thankfully. We really didn't need to add anything else to the War Crimes Counter.

Instead, the plan is to hijack some of the Helghast Strike Fighters and to attack the Helghast fleet with conventional weaponry. With all the confusion of the Helghast ships attacking other Helghast ships, I suppose it won't be too difficult for the ISA to swoop in and knock out the flagship. It's more traditional combat and is probably a nicer way to end the game than initiating a colony drop.

Hooper and Jammer are told to forgot the whole communications subplot, though, which seems like a mistake to me. Yeah, sure, go grab some fighters and start shooting at bad guys, but it's probably a good idea to warn Earth as well. It looks like they're already there. I mean, didn't Hooper just help Jammer get some sort of access key? Can't we use that to warn Earth? Wait, I guess Jammer said "way ahead of you", so maybe she had already decided warning Earth was a waste of time, preemptively ignored Narville's orders, and instead grabbed a key to the strike fighters? But what if Narville hadn't changed orders? What if Stahl's forces were about to make the jump for Earth and Narville was all like, "hey Jammer, at least you got the message off to Earth, right?" but instead it turned out she and Hooper had wasted everyone's time by grabbing keys to space jet fighter? What would they have done then? Ah gently caress it.

I guess this moment is to show that even Rico and Narville's No. 1's can work together. It feels a bit superfluous--a tacked on scene so Jammer and Hooper's VAs would have more dialogue, but here we are.

Anyways, we move on to some more combat--

(This one's for you CJacobs).

It's nice to know that Guerrilla didn't forget about the exploding spider robots from Killzone: Liberation.

Oh, and the artificial gravity is turned off. Except it's not. It's just weaker, so you can space jump. Except, uh, when you get shot at. So if you are a piece of destructible environment, a Helghast soldier, or one of their guns or helmets, the moment you die you become weightless. This is because

Okay, the back half of Portal 2 makes more sense because there's now a war going on outside and I imagine the station is taking some collateral damage. Still, the whole gravity but no gravity thing is absurd, even for an already absurd FPS.

Back to the real plot, Stahl gets in a sneak hit on Orlock, producing one of the most gifable moments in the game:

Orlock has lost his advantage again. Sorry, Ray Winstone, Malcolm McDowell has the upper hand.

This is a great moment. So great that I think whoever wrote the script for Dredd may have been inspired by it when the did this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raqF9qsakY4

Orlock's "wait" is so human. Stahl's response is perfect.

This moment here is a great bit of character development. A genuine plea from Orlock, true compassion and concern for his fellow Helghast. I believe Orlock. I don't think this is a ruse. He's a soldier. A leader. I'm sure he's experienced with "acceptable losses", but he doesn't want the Helghast people to self-destruct. He doesn't want Helghast to slaughter Helghast. He doesn't want a civil war.

I believe this is a genuine moment from Orlock to reach out.

Too little, too late, to be frank, but I appreciate the attempt nonetheless.

(Shout out to the person in charge of captioning this game.)

Of course, Orlock is ever the opportunist and takes this moment to try and get the upper hand again. This isn't him being a hypocrite, this isn't proof of him lying to Stahl--again, I believe that was a genuine plea a moment ago. That said, Orlock is just now truly realizing what a menace Stahl is to Helghan society. At this point, Orlock is trying to put down a mad dog.

Sadly, it's once again too little, too late.

:pwn:

This mistake is more egregious than the whole gravity but not gravity thing. The nuke gun is established as literally disintegrating people, clothing included. How the hell did Orlock's suit and gloves survive? What is this nonsense?

Anyways, I love this moment. At the climax of the game, the two enemies duke it out with themselves and kill themselves. The protagonists of the game, though nearby, never actually cross paths with them. They've been influencing each other this whole time, but never directly face off. I love when stories do this. It reminds me of The Fifth Element, particularly the scene where the heroes step onto one elevator, just as the primary antagonist steps out of another only to eventually be killed off by another set of bad guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhcvbPGyFso&t=59s

Stahl is reminded that, yes, the ISA do still exist.

He throws some shade on Orlock then orders the entire destruction of the space station.

This is the man who now leads the Helghast. He's made it quite clear that he doesn't hold his people in quite the same regard as his former opponent.

(What self-respecting piece of architecture or technology wouldn't have the Helghan Triad?)

As Stahl's nuke approaches the station, our heroes make a last moment escape on the strike fighters.

Another stupid thing to note: the Helghast Strike Fighters leave red contrails.

Except when the ISA fly them, which makes them blue. (If you can spot Jammer and Hooper's fighter in this screenshot, nine-gear crow will by you a new avatar!)

This is effectively it for the game. This last part is an on-rails shooting gallery. It's not particularly exciting. It culminates with us blowing up a green metal Fruit Loop then pressing the "O" button to win.

For such a dramatic moment, the gameplay is sure ending on a whimper. All the previous Killzone games gave us some sort of boss encounter, from taking pot shots at General Anime, to Stratson's Mini Metal Gear, to Colonel Radec's genuinely terrifying and challenging invisible knife fight. It's a shame that there wasn't something here.

Regardless, Stahl's ship is going down. His right hand sees the writing on the wall, but Stahl is stubborn.

He's also good at his job. He stabilizes his flagship--

-- just in time for the player to press "O" to win. Yeah, mess him up, Sev!

I wasn't kidding about pressing "O" to win the game. This is our final boss fight. This is how Killzone 3 ends.

Not with a bang, but a whimper.

(2nd most gifable moment in the game.)

Ha, okay, I was wrong about this game not ending in a bang. There's at least a bit of a bang.

Or--dang. That's a pretty big explosion.

Holy--are you kidding?

I, I--

:stare:

T-this is no time to joke around, Jammer.

Sad face Hooper meme is far more appropriate.

Jesus Murphy.

Y-yeah, Rico. You did it.

You all did it.

Sally fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 17, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And Sevchenko wept, for there were no more zones to kill.

Or were there?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

And Sevchenko wept, for there were no more zones to kill.

Or were there?

I guess the real killing zone... was our hearts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am happy to have been a part of this crazy, wonderful journey. Shine on you crazy diamonds. :patriot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I loving WON THE DEATH CONTEST??? WHAT?!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So, like, are Sev, Rico, and the what remained of the ISA on Helgan tried for War Crimes by Shadowfall?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So if those containers were filled with Killzone games and they were exploding and such, would that mean they were Volatile Games?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Well, that certainly was a... thing. I mean holy poo poo, what a way to end a game.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone else imagine that, rather than doing whatever their assigned task was, Hooper and Jammer were just off having "we're probably about to die" sex in some broom closet on the space station? Because that's totally what I'm imagining they did.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i dont imagine videogame characters having sex, cause i'm normal

also i really like the end and look forward to shadowfall, the first game where the entirety of it takes place in a war crimes tribunal

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

i dont imagine videogame characters having sex, cause i'm normal

I'm not imagining them having sex, just that that's what they were doing while Sev, Rico, and Narville were off doing the whole "save the world" thing.

I mean, we've pretty much established that Hooper is probably the biggest unsung hero of the whole series thus far. He's the Wedge of the franchise - not important enough to be a main character, but he's still in the periphery whenever stuff's going on. And he's managed to survive all this stuff without the protection of MC shields. If anyone's the real hero here, it's him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The other hitlers were probably doing the same thing

spbwf7
Nov 1, 2012
Given that this is the end of the trilogy, are there any new insights into the series' driving question, "What the gently caress is a Shakespeare?"

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

spbwf7 posted:

Given that this is the end of the trilogy, are there any new insights into the series' driving question, "What the gently caress is a Shakespeare?"
This is a Shakespeare.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And now you all know why I insisted we title the thread what we did.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
In retrospect Stahl never had a chance of becoming Autarch of Craftworld Helgan. He was trapped of the Path of Corporate Douchebaggery while Orlock had clearly mastered several War Aspects and was thus much more suited to take up the Path of Command.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Stahl, Stahl, Stahl. This is why Nod kept the Tiberium-based weapons under careful lock and key, not handing them out to every combat vehicle.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

White Coke posted:

In retrospect Stahl never had a chance of becoming Autarch of Craftworld Helgan. He was trapped of the Path of Corporate Douchebaggery while Orlock had clearly mastered several War Aspects and was thus much more suited to take up the Path of Command.

I dunno, last time someone took the Path of Corporate Douchebaggery they became president.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

I dunno, last time someone took the Path of Corporate Douchebaggery they became president.

#NotMyAutarch

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

In the end, Sev discovered he was Rico all along.

Also, if not it's not that much hassle, can you guys give the Shakespeare treatment to Orlock and Stahl's dialogue at the end? :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HardDiskD posted:

In the end, Sev discovered he was Rico all along.

Also, if not it's not that much hassle, can you guys give the Shakespeare treatment to Orlock and Stahl's dialogue at the end? :allears:

I've got you covered.

"Oh, that this too, too solid head would melt, thaw, and resolve itself into a pile of goop!"
\

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

perfect A++ would melt heads Shakespeare again

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 18, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Enter ORLOCK, STAHL, and respective security teams

STAHL
If I mistake not, thou art Count Orlock.

ORLOCK
What game is this, Stahl? Thou speak'st as if I would deny my name.

STAHL
By order of the most highest council of Helghan,
I, Jorhan Brimve Stahl, do commit myself to thee.
I shall thus serve in whichever capacity is required.
But what is this? Where'st thy retinue? Thy flag-bearers?

ORLOCK
Stahl. A very valiant rebel of the name.
LIke father like son, failure is your business.

STAHL
Dost thou take me for a Leonard? No.
Tis ironic that thou needed both of us to help thee.

ORLOCK.
Have the weapons been brought?

SOLDIER
Sir, yes. Armaments confirmed on the chairman's cruiser.

ORLOCK.
Thou should'st be proud, Stahl.
Thy creations will usher in a Golden Age of Helghan dominance.
I am the Autarch; and think not, Jorhan,
To share with me in glory any more:
Two stars cannot keep their motion on one sphere;
Nor can one Helghan brook a double reign,
Of Jorhan Stahl and the Autarch of the Helghast.

STAHL
Nor shall it, Admiral; for the hour is come
To end the one of us; the woefully underpaid military
Do betray thee--pathetcally predictible--
And would to God thy name in arms were no as great as Stahl Arms!
Commodore, preparations are ready?

COMMODORE [over radio]
Yes, Chairman.

STAHL
Release!

ORLOCK
Thou wouldst not dare! You developed Greek Fire? When?

STAHL
Why dost thou avert thine eyes? Behold!
Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!

ORLOCK
I'll make it greater ere I part from thee;
And all the budding honours on thy crest
I'll crop, to make a garland for my head.
Stahl Arms will be mine once thee are dead!

STAHL
I can no longer brook thy vanities.
Thou shalt beg at my feet, just as the senate will!

They fight

Enter VELASQUEZ

VELASQUEZ
What the gently caress?

VELASQUEZ remains out of sight

The Helghast security kill each other; ORLOCK stabs STAHL

STAHL
O, fiend! O, blackguard!

STAHL hides himself behind a pillar

VELASQUEZ
aside What is this Shakespeare bullshit?

ORLOCK
Well done, Stahl, well done!
Nay, you shall find no boy's play here, I can tell you.
Now reveal thyself! Thou canst not hide for eternity!

STAHL strikes ORLOCK from behind

ORLOCK
Stay your hand, Stahl! Search your feelings.
Wouldst thy leave Helghan defenseless?

STAHL
Is that all? Is that your best?

ORLOCK
Pray, friend, Helghan, countryman! Lend me your ear:
Even if thy success is at hand, would Helghan's enemies
Give you time to rebuild? Look! Look around!
Thou art destroying our people!

STAHL
Not if my enemines no longer were. My weapons,
Stahl Arm's weapons could kill everyone. Will kill everyone!
Earth shall be laid bare. The colonies would [snap fingers] kneel before me!
And I would not need your help.
Like I said: predictable!

STAHL shoots ORLOCK

ORLOCK
O, Stahl, thou hast robb'd me of my reign!
I better brook the loss of brittle life
Than those proud titles thou has won of me;
They wound my thoughts worse than Irradiated Petrusite Cannon my flesh:
But thought's the slave of life, and life time's fool;
And time, that takes survey of all the world,
Must have a stop. O, I could prophesy,
But that the earthy and cold hand of death
Lies on my tongue: no, Orlock, thou are dust
And food for worms. O, that this too, too solid head
Would melt, thaw, and resolve itself into a pile of goop!
dies

VELASQUEZ
[aside] poo poo, that's nasty!

Enter COMMODORE

STAHL
I imagine that hurt.

COMMODORE
Chairman!

STAHL
Thy report?

COMMODORE
As per your orders, weapons are ready.
Earth will be at our mercy.
We may jump to warp posthaste.

SOLDIER
Sir, the ISA approach.

STAHL
For worms, foolish Orlock: fare thee well!
Ill-weaved ambition, how much art thou shrunk.
And the ISA? Thou could'st not even get that right.
Utterly useless.
Away! Destroy the station as we depart.

COMMODORE
But sir, the men!

STAHL
Let them die!

Exit all except VELASQUEZ

VELASQUEZ
Huh. gently caress it.

VELASQUEZ fires his gun into what is left of ORLOCK's body

VELASQUEZ
Yo, hey Sev, hey Narville, look who I killed!

Exeunt, chased by exploding spider droids

Sally fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 18, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:golfclap:

Thank you very much.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Verily, tis art.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You typo'd Orlock right in the beginning. :v:

The ending though is great.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I think you meant Exeunt chased by a bear sized electricity spider.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

White Coke posted:

I think you meant Exeunt chased by a bear sized electricity spider.

While shrieking madly like a gi-
No wait, that's just CJacobs.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cooked Auto posted:

You typo'd Orlock right in the beginning. :v:

The ending though is great.

Fixed that, plus some other minor things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So if those containers were filled with Killzone games and they were exploding and such, would that mean they were Volatile Games?

:getout:

• Locked thread