Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was the biggest war criminal of Killzone 2?
Rico
Sev
Visari
Blind Sally
Killzone 1
Crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Just a slight heads up for those who are interested while Sally and I work on the video/post for Scapyard Shortcut. This weekend, I will be co-hosting several blocks of the Team Frog Nugget Pre-Halloween Extra Life 24 Hour Charity Stream!

Join me and fellow LPers Faerie Fortune, ChaosArgate, poorlywrittennovel, FPzero, Artix, liquidypoo, JamieTheD, Lunethex, Tyty, Blastinus, Mysticblade, Captain Fargle, Ryushikaze, Fizzicist and MANY MORE for 24 hours of stupidass video games in support of Extra Life, a charity which helps sick children by purchasing video games and other entertainment to help them resume a sense of normalcy while staying in the hospital.

The stream begins at :siren:12:00 PM EST:siren: (9:00 AM PST) on Saturday, October 29th, 2016 and will run through to 12:00 PM EST on Sunday, October 30th. You can check out the action on our Hitbox account, including donation information, donation incentives, raffle prizes, and much more.

Last time around, we raised $950, and this time we're hoping to go for $1500.

See you there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
My name is Blind Sally and I approve of this message that crow has posted.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*Eagerly waiting for Crow to ask me if I'd like to supersize that*

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

White Coke posted:

I don't think the scanner scene is unintentionally hilarious. It's very much intentional. First it gets you kind of worried that Rice and Sev will be discovered, even though you know they won't, then everything is fine and you realize that the Helghast aren't a Master Race totally distinct from humanity and it's just bullshit pseudo science.

Unintentionally hilarious from the point of view of the Helghast? Regardless, agreed.

Hey Killzoners, all the footage for the last view levels now have commentary. We're basically at the part where I just need to find time to finishing mixing the audio and editing the footage. Going to try and have the next vid up by the weekend, but work has been very demanding recently. It's on its way, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

&
We are joined today for this chapter of Killzone 3 by Lazyfire and Kadorhal, who was gracious enough to step in at the last minute to cover for CJacobs, who in turn had volunteered to cover for Blind Sally after he was unable to record that day, but was also unable to record that day as well.

Lazyfire is currently LPing Call of Duty: Black Ops III, and is also currently along for "DoctorStrangelove's Wild Ride" aka the Doom (2016), Ultra-Violence Mode LP alongside Handuar and DA PLANET EARF.

Kadorhal, meanwhile, is a frequent guest on Crow's Ace Combat LPs, in addition to LPing Postal 2: Paradise Lost. He's also a recurring guest on Lazyfire's multiplayer safari videos for his various FPS LPs, and is currently gearing up to LP Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. and H.A.W.X. 2 as companion pieces to Ace Combat.

So after our insane snowmobile jump from the south pole to the desert outside of Phyrrus City, we catch up with our heroes overlooking the wasteland between the scrapyard and the space elevator facility.

The Avenger Convoy remnant has regrouped and is making its push to the space elevator. As you may remember from last time, they have become the last line of defense against Stahl basically murdering every last person on Earth with his irradiated petrusite weaponry.

You can also see in this screenshot that the space elevator (on the left) is ringed with Arc Towers as an anti-personnel barrier. And the Arc Towers, as you’ll remember, were pretty big show stoppers when they showed up back in Killzone 2. So…

Sev quickly realizes things are going south when he catches a whiff of Ozone (O3, for our chemists in the audience), which, I have to say, has a particularly sharp smell to it and one that you don’t easily forget if you’ve ever smelled it before.

Again, this shows just how sharp and worldly Sev is that he can readily identify Ozone—a substance not a lot of people encounter in their daily lives, all told—by smell alone. While Rico continues to be a absolute brick by claiming he doesn’t smell anything.

As the Arc Towers lining the perimeter of the space elevator fire up, their normal blue charge turns green in the irradiated desert, meaning…

Yep. Avenger Convoy has just wandering into a giant irradiated petrusite Arc Tower death trap.

Because remember, when you think of Death Traps, think Stahl Arms, your #1 name in Death Traps! :thumbsup:

Narville, having firsthand experience with all the wonderful horrors of IP weaponry thanks to Stahl’s little PR shitshow last chapter, is acutely aware of the danger he’s just walked his men into blindly and commands everyone to stop still.

Now, this is just me talking here, but I don’t really know why irradiated petrusite energy has suddenly began working on Jurassic Park T-Rex rules here, but apparently if you stand really still and don’t flail about like a panicked dumbass, it can’t hurt you now all of the sudden.

Really, this is just an excuse to build tension for our heroes.

As Avenger Convoy halts its progress, the wisps of irradiated petrusite energy sweep over the no man’s land ominously.

It’s a stalemate now. Nobody is going anywhere unless somebody can find a way to shut the perimeter towers off… or unless somebody panics.

And right on cue, somebody panics. Despite literally everyone around him yelling at him to keep calm, this poor faceless ISA grunt freaks the gently caress out as the energy wisps start twining towards him like ghostly fingers of death.

And he instantly wins the Biggest Goddamn Moron In This Game (…So Far) Award by leaping off the deck of the Intruder in a screaming fit…

And promptly exploding, taking out not just himself, but the Intruder, and everyone else on and in it, and several people around it for good measure.

Rico radios Jammer for an update, and she relays to him the grim news. They are turbofucked.

For his part, Rico is utterly despondent at the news, believing that literally every last ISA soldier on Helghan outside of him and Sev are now functionally dead (and it’s all his fault), and he doesn’t appear to have any faith that Narville’s plan to get out of this mess is actually going to work.

So what is Narville’s plan? Well, he’s going to send Killzone 3 MVP Cpl. Hooper in to slowly walk across no man’s land to the closest Arc Tower and try to manually hack it into shutting down the perimeter fence so that Avenger can press forward… and hopefully not explode in the process.

It’s a torturously slow, perilous exploit with a high probability of failure. Hooper would be better off if Narville had told him to go walk through a literal minefield instead.

But because Rico thinks he’s always right and Narville’s always wrong, he immediately takes issue with this plan, believing (and rightly so, surprisingly), that in the time it’s gonna take for Hooper to play a game of “Don’t Wake Daddy” with the perimeter towers and hotwire them into shutting down, Stahl’s fleet will have warped to Earth and we’ll have a right proper terracide on our hands.

It’s at this moment that the back half of Scrapyard Shortcut comes lumbering into frame: the mobile factory.

And suddenly Rico has a very VERY dumb plan.

Rather than take his suggestion to Narville, Rico merely end-runs him by contacting Jammer directly and orders her to grab a buggy and meet them at the edge of the scrapyard.

They’re gonna hijack the factory.

So it’s at this point that we finally get to gameplay. We start out on the overlook above the perimeter fence. You can see the ring of irradiated petrusite energy stringing from Arc Tower to Arc Tower and the main space elevator facility in the center of it.

We also start out this mission with the triple-barrel magnum pistol as our default weapon. Now, there’s a large selection of guns to choose from for this stage, but you would be remiss if you didn’t make a direct b-line for (and never look back from)…

The boltgun.

Yes, making its triumphant return from Suljeva Village from Killzone 2, the mighty boltgun is back for this level and the next one. The boltgun basically trivialized Scrapyard Shortcut. There is one present on nearly every gun rack across both halves of the level, it’s a one-shot instakill if it connects, and even then it’s still liable to score a rebound kill when its projectile explodes, it’s shockingly accurate both as a hip-fire weapon, and aiming down sights with it, and with a 30 round total ammo capacity and 10 rounds per coil, you have more than enough bolts to clean up a full wave of Helgoons before you have to go back and reload. And by the way, standard ammo refill rules also apply here, which means that you will be practically climbing over ammo crates to get to the end of the level so you will basically never run out of shots for this thing.

And given the hilarious physics fuckery that the boltgun summons into being, I am very happy that Guerrilla decided to be incredibly generous with its special weaponry gameplay for Killzone 3 because if it were up to me, I would main this thing through the entire game.

In addition to living Helghast enemies, drones also appear in this level. Though these guys are more in line with the Killzone 1 style of “utterly useless” drones as opposed to the Killzone 2 and 3 style of “pants-making GBS threads mechanical horrors” that are the ATACs.

They go down in one shot from the boltgun too.

RIP General Lente, the most useless Helghast.

They also tend to cartwheel off in hilarious KILLZONE PHYSICS death spirals. In this case, a drone I killed actually caused a bit of environment damage by destroying a bridge over a chasm that you actually have to cross over. It’s not an endall case as you see in the video, it just makes your pathing through this part a slight bit more involved.

At the end of the first part of the level, Sev and Rico encounter the first big set piece of Scarpyard Shortcut, the magnetic crane.

Sev quickly spots a roadblock in their path.

Their way forward is behind that big giant gate.

That said, Sev also quickly finds a solution. He intends to Looney Toons his way through the barrier by using the crane as a wrecking ball. All told, not the dumbest plan ever.

And luckily for Sev, the crane just so happens to be holding up a Helghast tank as the perfect wrecking ball itself in a completely dangerous and citation worthy manner for a crane that is currently not in active operation.

Helghan OSHA is gonna have some really harsh words for whoever owns this scrapyard when they find out about this.

However, the crane tower itself is defended by snipers, who quickly draw a bead on Sev who’s just sticking his head out there in the open flapping his gums while Rico does the smart thing and sticks to cover.

Sev doesn’t notice the big giant red laser sight on his forehead, but Rico sure as poo poo does.

And he pulls Sev’s dumb rear end back to safety in the nick of time.

So there are two parts to this set piece, the first of which is the assault phase. We need to get up to that platform to operate the crane. But that platform is crawling with snipers and a squad of Helgoons. Since the troopers are infinitely spawning, priority 1 is to take out all the snipers to secure a path up to the crane.

Once that’s done, things shift from assault to the tower defense phase. As the crane slowly sputters back to life, you then need to hold the platform you’ve just taken from several waves of Helghast who will try to press their way up the tower and onto the platform to take it back. Several waves of Overlord dropships will also drop troopers into the arena, and admittedly having the Scylla chaingun here is probably preferable over the boltgun—due to the Scylla’s heavier sustained firepower—but it’s still easily manageable with just the boltgun itself.

With the Helgoons all cleared out, Rico finally gets the crane working and it’s suddenly Miley Cyrus time.

I CAME IN LIKE A WREEEEEEECKING BAAAAAAAAAALL!!~~

From there it’s a quick run up to the end of the first half of the level. When you get there, you’re greeted by another old sight from Killzone 2, the Helghast Heavy!

You remember the Heavy, right? These guys stomped around in giant suits of armor wielding Scylla chain guns and the only way to beat them was to rope-a-dope them so you could destroy the power cells on their back and kill them.

They’re also pumped full a cocktail of psychotropic pain-dampening and aggression-heightening super drugs. Remember that part?

Good times.

Once again, the boltgun makes short work of the Heavy. The explosive bolts will stun him long enough for you to get around back and destroy his weak spot. Really, the Heavy in this part isn’t that big of a threat. The real difficulty comes from the regular troopers who are supporting him, who will almost certainly catch you in a crossfire if you’re not paying them as much mind as you are the Heavy himself.

But with the Heavy down, it’s on to the second half of Scarpyard Shortcut, the Mobile Factory!

Sev and Rico go through a door at the end of the stage and basically wind up falling down a giant hill of sharp, rusty debris on their backs. It’s all incredibly horrifying if you stop and think about it for more than a second… like the game doesn’t.

To make matters worse, their slide dumps them right down in front of the Factory, which comes looming at them out of the dust like something out of Shadow of the Colossus.

Luckily though, Jammer and an unnamed ISA stooge arrive in the nick of time to scoop up Sev and Rico before the Factory pulverizes them with its various hilariously deadly rending apparatuses.

We also get treated to some Fast & Furious-by way of-Galaxy Quest shenanigans, as Jammer is forced to take the buggy under the Factory to avoid being crushed and just barely misses several of its overwrought impelling devices.

They emerge out the other side unscathed, but Pvt. Shia LaBeouf has clearly had it with Jammer’s automotive bullshit. Like, this guy serves no functional purpose other than to be a screaming wussy. Why did she bring him along, anyway?

Sev and Rico have Jammer swing the buggy around so that they can hop onto the Factory’s caterpillar tread and hopefully climb up into it before it crushes them to death.

Of course, they make it on without incident and it’s time for the back half of this level.

I mention very late in the video that this part is very reminiscent of the finale of the second level of Halo 2 where you have to board and hijack the Scarab and kill all the Covenant troops on it in order to do so, only greatly expanded in this iteration.

Your primary objective is to fight your way through the Factory’s innards and get up onto its top deck, ultimately pressing into its wheelhouse and capturing it. This part of the stage probably takes about as much time on its own as the actual scrapyard part did. It is actually a deceptively big set piece.

Along the way comes some real opportunities for the boltgun to shine, and by that I mean break Killzone 3’s physics engine to the point of Lovecraftian madness. That black spaghetti strand in the center of the screen? That’s a Helghast… or what’s left of one.

Yes, the combination of railings, the sheer concussive force of the boltgun, the instakill pit beneath it, and Killzone 3’s vaunted ragdoll-scripted hybrid death animation engine lead to some truly magical happenings throughout the Factory stage of Scrapyard Shortcut.

The game just cannot process the sheer number of things happening to some Helgoons at the moment of their deaths so it just has a complete breakdown resulting in some things that generally only happen in EA games because I’m convinced that EA intentionally programs their games to glitch the gently caress out when you look at them the wrong way.

The jetpack troopers make a return for this level, marking three straight levels they’ve been in now.

What really makes the Factory a chore to clear, however, are the rocket troopers. You’ll get like two or three of them mixed in with any given wave of Helgoons and while your attention is diverted taking out the grunts or the jetpack troops, these guys will blow your face off with a rocket and send you back the last checkpoint you cleared.

It gets to the point where I give in and grab a Scylla because the final push to the wheelhouse is kind of unfeasible with the boltgun alone.

Mounted at either side of the bow of the Factory are a pair of anti-air Scylla Cerberus AA guns which the Helghast turn on you as a last ditch effort to keep you from breaching the wheelhouse. The handheld Scylla chaingun makes these things fairly trivial though, but as is the recurrent theme of this level, it’s not really the heavy pieces that kill you, it’s the grunts that overwhelm you while you’re working to take the “boss” down.

Finally though, Sev and Rico reach the wheelhouse and breach the door with a detonation charge.

There’s one last trio of Helgoons waiting for you in the control room itself, but the Scylla makes short work of them.

With the Factory under their control, Sev and Rico quickly plop themselves behind the controls and try to bring the beast to heel.

The Factory begins to turn, ever so slowly, as Sev wrenches it towards the Arc Tower grid.

Meanwhile, oh hey, Hooper actually succeeded and making it to the tower. He’s got the panel off and is well under way towards shutting the perimeter grid down.

…Kind of makes Sev and Rico taking over the Factory seem like a big wasted moot point now, doesn’t it? Given how in the time it took them to fight their way through the scrapyard, onto the Factory, and then into the wheelhouse, Hooper has already basically got this thing all sewed up and without all the pointless violence and death.

As he works, the ISA troops eye him nervously, all of them remaining tensely still, knowing that if they move even slightly that it’s all over for them.

Hooper too is moving meticulously slowly.

It’s at this point that Narville spots the Factory roaring over the hill towards them.

While Sev and Rico still struggle to keep it on course.

And it’s at around this point that I realize that Jason Narville is basically the unluckiest son of a bitch in the entire Killzone franchise. It must be such an utterly horrifying thing to have your right hand man come within inches of saving everyone, including yourself, with exemplary deft skill, precision and know-how, only to have the two jackass Duke Boys come charging over the hill in a giant dump truck blaring the Battle Hymn of the Republic and shooting off roman candles from their asses to ruin everything with some good old fashioned blunt violence.

I really, honestly, like Sev as a character and a protagonist, but there are times when I get incredibly exasperated with him and find myself firmly on #TeamNarville, mainly because Sev has a worrying tendency to get a little bit too drunk for his own good on the Rico Sauce every once and a while.

Though true to form as a toned-down R. Lee Ermy expy, Narville is quick to snap everyone to attention and quash anyone’s notions about running away in a panic. There may be a giant Mad Max hell factory careening towards them with little sign of it actually making the turn to not crush them all to death, but by god they will all to a man stand there are not move a loving inch as it passes, GODAMMIT!

And thankfully, Sev manages to make the turn with mere feet to spare between the crawler and Avenger Convoy.

It strikes the Arc Tower head on, knocking it off its base and disrupting the connection to the perimeter network, taking the whole thing offline.

And the peasants rejoiced.

And Narville, to his credit, is proud and relieved by Rico’s insane gambit actually working, while not glossing over the fact that yeah, Rico is still an incredibly dangerous lunatic.

But in taking out the Arc Tower, the Factory has suddenly decided it’s had enough, and begins to catastrophically explode.

Sev and Rico make a quick run for the deck as the wheelhouse is engulfed in flames behind them.

And they’re scooped up by Jammer, who commandeered an Intruder now that it’s safe to fly again.

[ACTION SHOT]

We’re also treated to some nice little post-danger sarcastic banter between Jammer and Sev. It’s a bit of a treat to see Sev being relatively lighthearted and funny for a change, and it’s something I kind of wished there was more of in the franchise. Killzone is often situationally funny, or structurally funny, it’s rarely overtly funny like it is here.

But that quickly falls by the wayside, because we’ve got to re-establish that Rico and Narville hate each other and disregard each other’s authority. Rico quickly falls back into his de facto command position, issuing orders to the Raiders to press forward to the space elevator.

You need to remember that functionally speaking, Rico has only been back to being second in command for maybe two hours, tops at this point. He is still in the headspace he has been in for the past 6 months of believing he is the highest ranking ISA soldier left on Helghan and that his word is law. He still has not adjusted to the fact that Narville is in command here again.

Which Narville quickly reminds him by countermanding his order.

But Rico just can’t leave well enough alone and pushes back against Narville, taking things a step too far.

Resulting in Narville going full R. Lee Ermy on his rear end, chewing him out on the a private channel for undermining his authority out in the clear.

He basically takes a rhetorical sledgehammer to any lingering semblance of authority Rico has in his mind that he still possesses and shoves Rico’s well-documented string of failures and corpses and/or craters left in wakes back in his face as the exclamation point to shut him up completely.

Rico tries to fight back with the tried and tested “NO U!” but ultimately relents, either realizing its futile to continue arguing with Narville, or just being too consumed by frustrated rage to continue speaking.

Sev, for his part, tries to placate Rico, but it comes too late and too short. The damage is already done.

As Sev hops off the Intruder, Jammer and Rico are left alone together for the first time since they rescued Sev. She asks him what he’s thinking, and he responds thusly, ordering her to remain with the Intruder as a backup plan, which she happily agrees to. While Rico might be done publically undermining Narville for the moment, he’s gonna make sure he can at least covertly undermine him. And with Jammer being loyal to Rico over Narville, she will prioritize any order Rico gives her over any countermanding order that Narville might give her in reverse.

I said earlier in the thread that Killzone 3 is all about interlinking binary relationships. Sev and Rico. Rico and Narville. Sev and Narville. Narville and Hooper. Rico and Jammer. Stahl and Orlock. That’s (probably) the reason Natko was kicked into the shadow realm of co-op—he’s a third wheel, there’s no room for him in these binaries. He just gums up the works. And in rapid succession in this scene, we have seen three of these binaries play out with Rico as the focal point to each of them.

The core binary of this part of the game is the Rico-Narville conflict. Both men are equally right and equally wrong in their approach to how they plan to stop Stahl.

From Rico’s perspective, digging in and forming a defensive position at the base of the space elevator is pointless and time-wasting. Every second they spend stymied, Stahl gets one second closer to jumping to Earth and eradicating it. Rico believes, but doesn’t say out loud, that basically every last ISA soldier still on Helghan is basically a walking corpse. This is a suicide mission with only one path to victory, and even then “victory” will probably kill them. They need to rush at the space elevator in a sustained assault and throw every last man to the cause of getting up the that space station and getting aboard Stahl’s flagship to kill him and destroy the irradiated petrusite weapons intended for Earth.

Rico is, shockingly, focused on the big picture. Whatever happens here on Helghan, it’s all meaningless if Stahl makes it to Earth and kills everyone. Whoever has to die down here from the ISA, even if it’s Rico himself, if it stops Stahl, it’s worth it. This isn’t about being a hero, or getting a commendation or recognition, or even about redemption any more. This is about doing his loving job and stopping Jorhan Stahl from becoming the greatest mass murderer in human history.

Now, Narville, on the other hand. This is where the whole “information disparity” thing that the series has been running with for a while boomerangs back around to bite Narville in the rear end. True, he as seen what irradiated petrusite weaponry does to people, and he has a vague notion that Stahl is planning to attack Earth with it, but only Rico and Sev saw the hologram outlining the full extent of Stahl’s plan. He is ignorant to the true scale of the danger that Earth is under. Narville is still largely ignorant to the fact that the rules have all changed on him. Him being taken aback by Stahl’s barbarity at Deep South highlights that. He is still acting as a soldier while fighting against a monster… and the monster’s gonna win.

Right here and right now, Narville’s concern is for his troops’ wellbeing. Because he is a decent man and a good soldier. He assumes a defensive position because he doesn’t want to fling any more bodies at what could very well be a futile cause and just get everyone killed pointlessly. He wants to stop, assess his options, and then act in a swift, precise, and surgical manner. A good course of action… if he weren’t up against a ticking clock.

And so we have our character and situational dilemma going into the penultimate chapter. Stopping to prepare for the optimal strike is going to cost valuable time and could let Stahl get away scot-free, but blindly rushing in with sustained force is too big a gamble with too narrow a path to victory when the stakes are this high.

And Sev is caught in the middle. As always.

The clock is running down…

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 5, 2017

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I'm certain now. There's plenty of good character conflicts in this, but the absolute best is between crow and grenades.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Crow's attention span is like a magpies, as soon as he sees an ammo box he goes "ooh shiney" and goes instantly for it and ignores everything else.

Also he has severe grenade allergy, can't stand them in his face and can't use them either.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 6, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:worship::worship::worship::siren::siren::siren:

All hail the Gun of Guns, the Supreme Destroyer of Living Things--

The VC21 Boltgun

Say what you will about crow's grenade allergy, he can be a real wizard with heavy industrial machinery.

A few things about the Boltgun that I just want to highlight--

1) It was mentioned in the last LP, but I'll mention it again: during the Invasion of Vekta, Sev's father was killed by a Helghast weilding a Boltgun. Yes. You read that right. Some rear end in a top hat Helghast brought a piece of retrofitted heavy machinery with him to invade a foreign planet to kill middle-class Vektan lawyer/doctor types by pinning them to walls with exploding rails.

2) The Boltgun is as accurate as the game's Sniper Rifle, so crow bringing the Boltgun to a sniper fight was actually pretty well planned. In Killzone 2's multiplayer, there was a DLC map pack that introduced two new maps, each that brought previously singleplayer-only guns into multiplayer as special pick-ups: the Boltgun and Flamethrower. A number of hardcore Killzone 2 players were able to quickly dominate Boltgun maps, simply because they became so good at aiming the Boltgun that they were able to hip-fire snipe people from across the map. Good times.

Also, I want to add onto what crow said at the end about the Rico/Narville dynamic. The best part about the difference of knowledge between the grunts and their superiors is that Rico and Narville have effectively switched roles. In the beginning of the game, right after Visari's death, Rico played the part of the leader who wanted to turtle up and go on the defensive to save as many ISA lives as possible. Narville, meanwhile, had a greater knowledge of the war at large and knew that if they didn't rush for the ISA rallying point, they were going to all get left behind on Helghast. This led to Avenger Convoy's mad dash to the ISA Cruiser along with many ISA deaths--much to Rico's frustration.

Now, Six Months Later..., the roles are reversed, as crow said. Narville wants to play defensively (much to Rico's frustration) whereas Rico has access to greater knowledge of the war at large and knows they need to make a rush for the space elevator or die trying.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Also, at 52 deaths from crow, the following people have been ranked out of the death contest:

• White Coke - Blind Sally: 41; nine-gear crow: 51
  • Kinfolk910 - Blind Sally: 40; nine-gear crow: 50
  • chiasaur11 - Blind Sally: 39; nine-gear crow: 50
  • Lotish - Blind Sally: 30; nine-gear crow: 48

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You lost 5 Guys in that cutscene, now where will you get delicious burgers at low prices?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You know they got some pretty good mileage out of that snow mobile if they managed to get to the equator where that space elevator must be anchored in order for its physics to work. Also it's pretty amazing it didn't get shot to poo poo by the arriving Vektan spacecraft because Helghast oblige that thing's top station must have been covered in guns and missile launchers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Also, at 52 deaths from crow, the following people have been ranked out of the death contest:

• White Coke - Blind Sally: 41; nine-gear crow: 51
  • Kinfolk910 - Blind Sally: 40; nine-gear crow: 50
  • chiasaur11 - Blind Sally: 39; nine-gear crow: 50
  • Lotish - Blind Sally: 30; nine-gear crow: 48

My one regret is Crow sucking so much.

(I'm neutral on the subject of Boneitus)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Will my ridiculous wager somehow win me the death contest?? :eyepop:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SIGSEGV posted:

Also it's pretty amazing it didn't get shot to poo poo by the arriving Vektan spacecraft because Helghast oblige that thing's top station must have been covered in guns and missile launchers.

I believe the implication is that this was set up in the six months after the Helghast repelled the initial ISA invasion, in case there was another wave of ISA Cruisers. To me, it looks like this has been set up somewhere in the Maelstra Barrens, where Templar's cruiser went down. (With all the irradiated petrusite, I've wondered if the orbital elevator was in fact placed near the impact site).

chiasaur11 posted:

(I'm neutral on the subject of Boneitus)

:golfclap:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Tyty210/status/795862985298186240

I have been asked by Tyty (who ruined Metroid Prime 2 and hates Killzone) to post a poll in this thread. Please vote in it.

No, you will not get any further context than that.

Thank you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As I assume AC means Ace Combat, yes I do think Tyty should do LPs of all the Ace Combat games.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/Tyty210/status/795862985298186240

I have been asked by Tyty (who ruined Metroid Prime 2 and hates Killzone) to post a poll in this thread. Please vote in it.

No, you will not get any further context than that.

Thank you.

A.C...

After Colony! Restart, in this context, of course means to restart civilization. Tyty's planning to set off a colony drop, wiping out civilization and probably dooming humanity! There's no other logical way to interpret any of this.

So, yeah. I vote yes.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

A.C...

After Colony! Restart, in this context, of course means to restart civilization. Tyty's planning to set off a colony drop, wiping out civilization and probably dooming humanity! There's no other logical way to interpret any of this.

So, yeah. I vote yes.

Wait a second, Trump hasn't won yet.

NejD
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah ac is way better for transferring over long distances.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

White Coke posted:

Wait a second, Trump hasn't won yet.

Oh really?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:golfclap:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

At least Stahl is also cunning and (fairly) intelligent as opposed to some dumbass who just spews whatever nonsense it takes to get idiots people to vote for him.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

cirvante joines nine-gear crow and myself once again as the ISA reach their lowest point and the game wraps up it's conflict between Narville and Velasquez.

First thing's first: Chekhov's Massive Energy Spike. You better believe we're going to deal with whatever it is Jammer's scanners have found. Until then, we get a bit of classic Killzone 2-style combat a la Salamun Bridge.

The lead tank here is our marker of progress. As with these stages in Killzone 2, if you let the Helghast entrench themselves you can easily get bogged down in a drawn out battle. If you can rush ahead and prevent them from getting a solid foothold, then your troops and tank will quickly follow.

Also, if you're paying close to your radio chatter, you'll see that the plot between Narville and Velasquez is continuing. As the highest commanding ISA officer, Naville is currently leading the charge, but Rico still can't seem to help himself--he's become used to command and has his own style of attack; operating under the command of Narville again is beginning to chafe. Still, when Narville denies his request, Rico sticks to the plan.

Which is good, because Narville's charge succeeds and the ISA push through.

And now we're introduced to Chekhov's Bunker Full of Helghast Ordnance. You better believe we're going to use it to deal with the Massive Energy Spike. Speaking of which:

This mission chapter is simply amazing for :wtf: facial expressions. But, yes, there's clearly lingering mistrust between Narvile and Velasquez. I mean, Rico has been questioning his orders at every turn--not to mention there's the whole Visari thing that arguably has led them, all of them, the Helghast and the ISA, to this point. That said, Sev is correct: Rico did save all of them from Stahl. The man has made mistakes (many mistakes (mistakes that have needlessly prolonged this conflict and arguably have condemned an uncountable number of people to death)), but he's not irredeemable not completely irredeemable not, uh...h-he's not... er, it remains to be seen if he can be redeemed one of theirs.

Though before Narville can respond, Jammer's Massive Energy Spike shows up.

Narville issues the order to rush to the space elevator, in a fitting parallel to the orders he issued six months earlier to rush to the ISA extraction point. The question remains whether he will be able to commit to these orders or if he'll order a withdrawal. Remember, after the failure to capture Visari, Narville's priority has been to save as many ISA lives as possible and get them home. He lost many lives six months earlier making a mad dash for the extraction point, but the alternative was being left to die on Helghan. Right now, the space elevator offers no such escape from the planet, merely the slim possibility at halting the invasion of Earth. In the face of the MAWLR, there's the distinct possibility that Narville is simply expediting his forces to a quick death from a giant mecha's death ray.

Meanwhile, Sevchenko wanders off to find the Bunker Full of Helghast Ordnance.

Rico clearly disagrees with Narville's tactical plan.

Rico nearly decides to go lone wolf, but in a moment of surprisingly humility he checks in with his commanding officer first. Are we having a "Rico trying to better himself" moment?

Aaaaaand, Narville has decided not to go through with the space elevator 100-metre dash. I don't blame him. The MAWLR is literally liquidating any ISA armour that tries to approach. It certainly seems hopeless.

Ha, nope. Of course, when he doesn't get the order he wants, he decides to force the matter, so, uh, no, I don't count this as a genuine "Rico trying to better himself" moment.

It was mentioned before that Narville doesn't have the full picture of the battlefield as he didn't see Stahl's invasion plans for Earth. I've decided that I'm not entirely convinced. Having been a prisoner of Stahl's, I'm confident that Narville is perfectly aware of what the man is capable of. Not only that, but Narville has fought his way through his factories--he also knows exactly what Stahl is armed with. Furthermore, I'm confident that Narville believed Sev and Rico when they said Stahl was going to invade Earth. It's great that Sev is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to protect Earth, as the commanding officer, that means Narville is responsible for making that decision for every single ISA soldier under his command. It's not an easy decision and Narville isn't taking it lightly; you can see the indecision, the conflict, written all over his face.

The expressiveness of Guerrilla's character models is top notch. You really get the feeling that Narville is caught between a rock and a hard place.

By that time, Rico has shown up to complicate matters further. In this instance, I feel he's right. Earth is looking at global decimation. The remaining ISA here are the only ones capable of giving Earth a fighting chance. It's extremely likely none of them will survive, so really, they might as well keep at it and try to stop the invasion, even if they all have to die trying.

But Narville's only human.

And his confidence has been broken by setback after setback.

Against all hope he managed to get Avenger Convoy to Visari's Palace, but because he was unable to keep one grunt under control, their primary objective failed, dooming the entire mission. He then tried to get his remaining forces off planet and back home, and lost many in the attempt, but ultimately failed. He tried to keep them safe, hidden in the Kaznan Jungle, and while it worked for a little while, it too failed, resulting in countless more deaths. Beaten, broken, he watched helplessly as another soldier under his command was executed before he, too, faced the end of a gun barrel on national Helghan television--only to be rescued at he last minute by the very soldier that doomed the entire mission and a squad of soldiers who he'd chosen to leave for dead six months earlier, many of whom had been grown to resent him.

Now, he faced the prospect of sending the last of his forces to their deaths. Talk about a doomed command.

So put yourself in Narville's shoes for moment. Imagine you've been through all that and are now facing this fateful, final decision, when the guy--that one guy who screwed up everything--gets up in your face and starts yelling at you to just do it. Just send everyone to die already.

And then calls you a coward.

:siren::siren::siren::thurman::bravo::drat::fuckoff::bravo::thurman::siren::siren::siren:

Thankfully, Sev stops things before they can escalate.

He's sick an tired of being caught in the middle.

He's tired of being torn between Rico Velasquez and Jason Narville.

He's done with all the pointless bickering and in-fighting.

He's going to say "gently caress this" to Narville's plan--

--and "gently caress this" to Rico's plan.

And he's going to go fight the MAWLR on foot.

Because Sev realizes something neither Rico nor Narville ever will.

He realizes that he is an FPS protagonist in a video game.

(I kid.)

Sevchenko's idea is a desperate measure, but it's worked for him before. With Narville's Armour Group and Rico's Raiders drawing fire from the ground and air, Sev just might be able to pull of the greatest David vs. Goliath match-up on Helghan.

And he does, proving that when Rico and Narville work together a lot can get done.

Unfortunately, Sev's Hail Mary doesn't work and in fact only serves to piss off the MAWLR crew even further. The remnants of Armour Group give it their all, but as you can see from the above image, they are hopelessly, hilariously outgunned.

:what:

:stare:

Then we have a moment where Narville, Jammer, and Hooper are all gathered in one place amidst the debris.

There's a second where you think that they're going to get back on the horse and give it one last shot--

--but it is dashed by the Helghast, like an overripe cantaloupe against a rock.

Sev and the few remaining ISA soldiers who followed him to the ordnance bunker regroup. Sadly, no answer on the radio. No Narville, no Jammer, no Hooper--and no Rico, where the hell did Rico get to?

Ah well, Rico and the survivors fight their way to the top of a tower to--I don't know what. Did they plan on jumping onto the MAWLR from there? It's a nice sentient, but you can't brute force everything, Sev. So now he stands there, gazing on at the MAWLR, questioning his life choices.

When suddenly a bunch of idiots bring knives to a gun fight. This could very well be it. The ISA have reached what seems to be their lowest point. Sevchenko has continued to fight on, but it looks like he's going to be overwhelmed by a group of Stahl's best-dressed but least-prepared foot soldiers.

Cue dramatic Hollywood moment:

:black101:

I mean, seriously, why aren't these mooks at least running around with pistols? Their armour is clearly great at protecting them from small arms fire, but doesn't mean they should be armed only with some really short wrist knives. Give them a gun! They're clearly competent! Look at this guy! He dodged the minigun and jumped onto a moving Intruder. Imagine if he'd had a gun? He could be shooting Hooper dead right now. Hooper would be dead, and they'd all crash into the ground. Game Over for Narville and Jammer. Or, heck, they could've all just shot the poo poo out of Sevchenko a moment earlier. Imagine if all of them just pulled out a bunch of handguns and started firing while Sev's bullets ricocheted harmlessly off their armour? Game over, full stop. End of Killzone 3.

But no, Stahl sends them in with tiny knives.

Trying to make them look all tough and unstoppable like the Terminator doesn't work either. He can't even reach in far enough to grab Hooper or to stab him. I bet this idiot was wishing that he had a gun right about now. He could reach his hand through the hole in the windshield and just kill Hooper. There's nowhere to run. Boom. One shot. Game over.

But no, he decides that isn't going to work at all and climbs up onto this platform clearly marked "NO STEP". That is clearly not OSHA compliant.

So he finally makes it onto the Intruder platform, Narville does the Caveman Sponge Bob pose and--

Oh. Hey, Rico.

Really? Really???

Well, it looks cool.

And because Rico is a wizard with harpoon guns:

:stonklol:

Then something weird happens: Narville lets Rico take the lead! It looks like Sev's pep-talk is worked; the two are now working together.

The group then proceed to destroy the MAWLR by literally shooting off every gun on it. Literally. They even saw off the death ray with their miniguns.

They win, but the losses are massive. Barely 60 ISA soldiers are now left on the planet and they haven't even made it on the space platform yet.

Any hope they might've had at stopping the invasion fleet has gone out the window. At best, they can get a warning off to Earth so they can prepare their defenses. It's not much.

There's a rare moment of genuine compassion between Rico and Narville. It's nice.

It also signifies the end of the Narvile/Rico conflict.

Sev's not done with the pep-talks, though, and rallies the remaining soldiers to embark on their final mission.

Hooper and Jammer are tasked with sneaking into the communications array getting a signal off to Earth. The rest of them plan to slow down the fleet's departure.

But how, you might ask? Simple--

Wait, what?!

Y-you guys are going to what!?!

Uh...

I spent the majority of this level using the Helghast and ISA machine guns. I've spoken about them before. They make great hip-fire weapons. I mean, really, any weapon that lets you project as many bullets as possible as quickly as possible is a great gun.

(Which is why the Minigun is the greatest).

I feel it relevant to bring back this bit of concept art:

A little more MAWLR:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

It was mentioned before that Narville doesn't have the full picture of the battlefield as he didn't see Stahl's invasion plans for Earth. I've decided that I'm not entirely convinced. Having been a prisoner of Stahl's, I'm confident that Narville is perfectly aware of what the man is capable of. Not only that, but Narville has fought his way through his factories--he also knows exactly what Stahl is armed with. Furthermore, I'm confident that Narville believed Sev and Rico when they said Stahl was going to invade Earth. It's great that Sev is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to protect Earth, as the commanding officer, that means Narville is responsible for making that decision for every single ISA soldier under his command. It's not an easy decision and Narville isn't taking it lightly; you can see the indecision, the conflict, written all over his face.

This is like the best representation of someone thinking "fuckin god dammit poo poo piss harumph" ever.

:hellyeah:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

:aaa: Now that is what I call a brilliant set piece level if anything.

Although I wonder, based on the reviews and general opinion, that you'll end up regretting those words considering Infinite Cods.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

:aaa: Now that is what I call a brilliant set piece level if anything.

Although I wonder, based on the reviews and general opinion, that you'll end up regretting those words considering Infinite Cods.

Keep in mind, that commentary was recorded nigh on a month ago before IW launched. That said, I will probably pick it up eventually regardless of its quality, but definitely not before a substantial price drop.

Also, as a matter of record: I have begun recording the first parts of Killzone: Shadow Fall recent. I've got to go through and get all the collectibles before I record anything else, but SF is basically a go at this point.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Made something for you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lazy Bear posted:

Made something for you.

Brilliant :golfclap:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuramor posted:

WASP clearly stand for "We Are Spreading Peace".

Congratulations to Nuramor on winning the WASP acronym contest. Enjoy your new avatar to replace that ugly baby one car of Jobbo_Fett!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

Congratulations to Nuramor on winning the WASP acronym contest. Enjoy your new avatar to replace that ugly baby one car of Jobbo_Fett!

Too late! The offer expired yesterday :grin:

Nuramor doesn't have Plat. Lame.

Crow never goes through with these, what a jerk!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 13, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also please, Jobbo, make sure it is this Avatar/Title combo:

I won this picture of Rico getting punched for absolutely no actual reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Only now caught up on the thread. It's the boring answer, but I suspect WASP stands for "Wide Area Saturation Projectile" or some such. The Helghast don't seem to have much of a sense of humor or irony.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Oh, nice! Good to see Sev deciding to one-up the Helghast in the warcrime department.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nuramor should get in touch with me on Twitter or Steam[Jobbo_Fett] or something...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lazy Bear posted:

Made something for you.

Guerrilla knows how to give their audience exactly what they want.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, as a matter of record: I have begun recording the first parts of Killzone: Shadow Fall recent. I've got to go through and get all the collectibles before I record anything else, but SF is basically a go at this point.

Well gently caress. I guess now that this is happening I should censor the next video a little bit. We spoiler Shadow Fall as if we're not going to play it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The WASP kind of reminds me of the rocket launcher/chain gun from Painkiller.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

nine-gear crow posted:

Also please, Jobbo, make sure it is this Avatar/Title combo:

I won this picture of Rico getting punched for absolutely no actual reason.

I'm more thinking about "The most productive thing that ever happened on Helghast.", but I'm open for suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Nuramor posted:

I'm more thinking about "The most productive thing that ever happened on Helghast.", but I'm open for suggestions.

"On Helghan."

Also I wonder how they are going to de-orbit a space elevator, unless it's a shorter than full scale elevator and therefore an active structure, it's supposed to go away from the planet if the cable's tension isn't there to hold it since it is orbiting at geosynchronous speed higher than a geosynchronous (helgasynchronous?) orbit.

Basically they're going to have to mess with massive thrusters that don't really have a reason to be there. (Unless the elevator is a still fully ready single stage to orbit, light candle and play, deal.)

Science fiction!

Also it was a good punch.

• Locked thread