Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was the biggest war criminal of Killzone 2?
Rico
Sev
Visari
Blind Sally
Killzone 1
Crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

VolticSurge posted:

Wait,really? Is it a glitch,like this? Or is it actually intended by the devs?

Nah, it's a gameplay mechanic. Mercenary has some pretty awesome alternate objectives and challenges implemented into the game, kinda like Perfect Dark or Goldeneye 64. Just hitting Benoit from behind nets you a trophy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f7WXJ1mBpM (it's an easy one to get since when Benoit uses his shield he moves really slow)

But if you take the time to wound rather than kill Benoit (which requires you to play a little more carefully), you do the "Interrogation" mechanic which is just an amped version of Killzone 3's brutal melee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KLizWpBbHk&t=1525s

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yes, because it was powerful enough to knock out an ISA Crusier with a single blast as seen in the opening cutscene of Killzone 2. Given how much petrusite is under the planet's surface, the Helghast could've just spent the whole time spamming the fire button while the ISA ran all of its ships into the ground.

Presumably, though, not all of Helghan has cities that have ports leading off planet, so my guess is the battle groups (of which there are twelve) only attacked the space-capable cities on Helghan, such as Konstantine City and Pyrrhus. Templar's group is not the first wave that you see getting blown up in the Killzone 2 intro. That's an earlier group, potentially Admiral Grey's group--Admiral Grey being one of the major characters in Killzone: Mercenary.

In Mercenary, the ISA actually find their invasion completely halted by the arc cannons. I'm not sure over which city, Konstantine or Pyrrhus, one of the two. Anyways, the ISA actually hires a PMC, the Phantom Talon Corp, to run a demolitions op on Helghan to take out the offending Arc Towers. The characters in Mercenary are successful and the ISA are able to make planet fall and, presumably, run more ground-based ops against other Arc Towers safely beneath the fire range of them.

At some point after this, Templar's battle group lands. So yeah, the Helghan weapons WERE powerful enough to destroy the ISA fleet, but after losing a few ships, the ISA kept their cruisers out of range until the weapons were demolished and they could safely (more or less) land.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

hey, here's the next update. some fun things happened in it. i stayed up too late editing it and now i'm too tired to write-up the post that goes along with it. i'll work on that later, but it's been a few weeks since the last video, so please enjoy crow's meltdown while you wait!

oh, and there were some technical problems in the recording of this video. uh. you'll see what i mean.

EDIT: also, Lotish, it's looking like you may have lowballed crow's deaths a bit :v:

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 28, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shei-kun posted:

Did Crow manage to double his death count in one video?

To be more specific, crow managed to double his death count in half a chapter. We've still got to upload the other half.

:unsmigghh:

(but seriously, the last chapter and this chapter--gently caress, i don't know what happened, but crow and i really lost our groove. we get it back for the rest of the campaign, but hot drat, we both dropped the ball here)

Fish Noise posted:

Hold on, so you basically inadvertently Off-World Interceptor Extreme'd your own LP?

Yes!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Some interesting differences in that trailer you posted, crow. It's always interesting to see how things changed from development to the final product. For one, Sev is seen hiking up the snowy cliff as the Dropships fly by instead of a random Helgoon. Rico then says something early on about how "he's bringing POWs down here", so I wonder if originally Sev was meant to go back for Rico so the two could go on to rescue Narville once he was captured. It also appears that Guerrilla might have been planning to include a sweet as heck side kick attack to stun enemies. Kinda wish that one stuck around.

Otherwise, it looks more or less like the Chapter 5 we wound up getting, including the back half of that trailer which we will see in the next video.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
A few of the ISA's big wins on Helghan have been thanks to the intervention of PMCs hired to do their dirty work :yum: Specifically, an Earth PMC.

Anyways, my Casual Thread LPs are done (Turok: Dinosaur Hunter Remastered, Off-World Interceptor Extreme), so I am back to focussing all my energies on Killzone 3. Next update is recorded and I'm currently editing the commentary.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Apep727 posted:

I think it's proof that Vekta isn't as pure and noble as would be expected from the player-faction in a game like this. The Helghast are just as corrupt, but their society is set up in such a way that corruption is encouraged - how else do you explain a guy like Stahl (who is not an elected official, but a businessman) being so involved with the senate?

Yeah, this. The ISA are not unified, but neither are the Helghast. Once free of Visari's sheer force of personality, the petty Helghast "warlords" who were once held under his heel come bubbling to the surface willing to destroy each other to gain power. The ISA never had a "Visari" figure to round up such disparate personalities, so corruption was a lot more obvious and immediate, what with Stratson and Adams.

Reminder, the most comparatively noble faction in the Killzone series has been EarthGov and the lone Earth-human character, loving Aran Danner the PMC merc, whereas both the ISA and the Helghast have been committing war crimes left, right, and centre--and that's a conscious story-telling choice from Guerrilla's part. No black and whites, lots of shades of grey. Despite playing as the ISA, you shouldn't necessarily feel like the hero.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:rip: Natko :rip:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeeeeeah, we originally planned to have co-op vids for the first third of the game and then singleplayer for the rest--show off Natko before he disappears forever. each update had the commentary and no commentary videos. then crow decided, hey, i'll grab a partner and go through the first third of the game singleplayer just to show it off without splitscreen! i thought it was great, but the LP had already gone up, so those singleplayer commentated videos of the first three chapters went up out of order and have since been edited into the posts. think of them as bonus features, really.

so main LP is one where crow and I are in every video--the first three chapters are splitscreen, the rest are done through singleplayer.

bonus videos are of crow, argate, and jobbo going through the first three chapters in the singleplayer campaign (they've just gone up after the posts they complemented).

I've made a helpful diagram to better illustrate this:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Here it is, the moment where we catch up with opening chapters! Now we get to move forward with the resolution of the plot--

Second verse, same as the first. This first part of the chapter is all a revisiting of the first part of the game. Thankfully, we only have to go back through the first few minutes. When it comes time to hit the firing range, that gets skipped over in favour of some new content:

Though not an admiral or a general, Captain Narville is a pretty high-value hostage. Even though he's about to be executed, you'd think they might allow him a little dignity and let him walk to his death, but not so. A lot of hatred here from the Helghast, but these are also members of Stahl's person army and not the rank and file Helghast. Honestly, I do wonder if Narville would've been treated better had he been in Orlock's custody. After all, Orlock has an interest in respecting the Vektan capitulation.

Anyways, there's not a lot of new stuff going on in this level. For the most part, this is a pretty simple shooting gallery where we walk from killzone to killzone to get to the next plot video. Stahl Arms has a lot of machinery in the background, catwalks, glass, crates, and other miscellaneous stuff, but none of it really stands out other than to point out that, yes, Stahl owns a lot of big, fancy factories.

We eventually get to the body scanners, which I find to be one of the most unintentionally hilarious moments of the whole Killzone universe. All this rhetoric about the Helghast being different from human beings, having evolved to be bigger, stronger, more resilient, having become an entirely new species--and nothing out of the ordinary pops up when these Helghoons point their scanners at a bunch of humans. No alarms, no emergencies--heck, there's not even a throwaway "hmm, their readouts look a bit strange". For all the surface differences between Helghast and Vektans (i.e., Helghast have less hair, paler skin, and denser muscle and bone tissue), they're all just human after all.

(Note: there are three scanners because one of them is needed for Natko in the co-op campaign! :eng101:)

Moving right along, we find ourselves back in the execution chamber where Sev originally revealed himself to Malcolm McDowell. This bit we've seen before, but I always enjoy watching Stahl chew the scenery in this game.

Posted this in the Killzone 2 thread eight or so months ago, and I still love it.

The speech is expanded here and we get to see a bit more of Stahl attempting to rally the nation to his support. He looks like such a salesman in this screencap, I love it. I feel like he's about to start selling me the Slap-Chop.

The man'll be Autarch for sure!

Anyways, it's all the little flourishes of this speech that really make it brilliant: the ever modest Stahl downplaying his oratory skills, the cuts to soldiers huddling around a monitor in a factory or around a PSP in the cold just to hear their leaders speak--

--the Helghan Senate watching the events unfold--

--and Admiral Orlock having a rage anuerysm.

Back in the facility, Narville prepares to die--

--Sev reveals his identity to a hilariously flabbergasted Stahl--

--and opens fire, officially, finally, at the very last, bringing us to the moment in the first chapter where we cut away to "SIX MONTHS EARLIER".

What we didn't see back then was that Stahl immediately started throwing his Helghoons in front of the Irradiated Petrusite Cannon's energy to act as human shields.

Eh, this is basically what they're being paid for.

Anyways, this leads to Orlock getting upset and some people on the internet attempting to make a meme out of him:

This is Helghan (Outrage!! Sparta Remix)

Admiral Orlock's "This OutRage!" Remix

I don't know why this didn't catch on.

Anyways, Rico pulls of his helmet and Narville is understandably shocked, doing the whole "You're alive?!" double-take. Rico's response is a suitably passive-aggressive "yeah, no thanks to you", and here we get a wonderful little character building moment--

Narville is surprised.

I mean, yes, he's surprised that Rico is alive in the first place, but he's taken aback by Rico's comment as well. We've been with Rico for four games now, this is not a surprise to us. We know that Rico is petty, vindictive, and has a fundamental distrust for his superiors (not counting Jan Templar). Of course he's got a chip on his shoulder for Narville and of course he's going to back-talk his commanding officer about it. Heck, he had to be convinced into going to rescue Narville; he was happy to leave the man to die. Narville, though, for all his making GBS threads on Rico and threats of court martial at the beginning of the game, is glad Rico is alive.

Throughout Killzone 2, Narville was portrayed as a shallow R Lee Ermey knock-off. He was abrupt, no-nonsense, and quick to get in soldiers' faces when poo poo went bad and they needed a kick in the rear end. Thanks to extended Killzone lore, we know that Naville is, to some extent, compensating. Just as a reminder: he was away on Earth on secondment during the Vektan invasion. The news of his homeworld being attacked and his being unable to be there really hit him hard. The Helghan invasion and his assignment to Avenger Convoy were in part his way of redeeming what he saw as a failure of himself to project his home. To review, the ISA had three main objectives with this invasion:
  • Remove the Helghast as a military threat.
  • Capture Autarch Visari for a public trial.
  • Establish a more easily controlled regime on Helghan that avoids the oppression that sparked this conflict.

Now, by the time Visari had set off the nuke in the last game, there wasn't really much hope of removing the Helghast as a military threat. That said, Narville's Avenger Convoy was tasked with capturing Visari and were within striking distance. In the wake of Red Dust, the ISA could have still potentially put Visari on trial and in doing so seen a more Vekta-sympathetic regime installed.

Instead, Rico does what Rico does and Visari winds up dead.

Now the ISA have failed all three primary objectives. We're back at the beginning of Killzone 3 and Narville isn't as confident as he once was. He's pissed off at Rico and can still do a mean impression of R Lee Ermey to let Velasquez know his place, but as far as his confidence in the mission? It's, well, kinda gone. The first section of the game is Narville trying desperately to pick up the pieces, to salvage what's left of the mission. For Narville, who has always been about protecting his home and his people, that means saving as many ISA soldiers as he can and getting them off Helghan as quickly as possible. This goes back to our conflict of leadership. General Mandaloniz's ships are crumbling before Orlock's navy and he's put a strict deadline on Narville's evacuation. Rico doesn't know this and would rather find shelter and hole up--a wise strategic move in the moment, but it means being left behind on a hostile planet surrounded by hostile soldiers. Narville is left with no choice and pushes the ISA straight through to the cruiser, taking damage to his convoy and losing soldiers. Thanks to his deadline, it even means leaving behind soldiers like Jammer and Rico. It's nothing personal. Narville wants to be able to save everyone, but his commanding officers are screaming in his ear warning him that they're going to leave him and ALL of his people behind.

So Narville does what Narville does and triages the situation.

He tries to save as many soldiers as he can. This means leaving behind Rico and Jammer. Unfortunately, Mandaloniz's forces are unable to hold out, and despite Narville's best efforts, Avenger Convoy and the remnants of the ISA invasion force are largely left behind. Not only has Narville failed to save Rico and the remnants, but he's failed to save the convoy that managed to keep up with him. This has go to be devastating for the man, but how could he know?

The intervening months are of Narville hiding his people in the jungle, doing what he can to keep their spirits up and to keep them alive, waiting for good news. That window of opportunity arrives when the ISA high command informs Narville that they're surrendering. Not an ideal solution, but as prisoners of war they can be negotiated and exchanged as hostages back to Vekta. Now, if the regular Helghan Army had managed to find the ISA, this might have been what went down. Orlock, for all his faults, is a man who believes in the rules of engagement. Unfortunately for Narville, it's Stahl's private army that finds them.

Which brings us back to this moment. Narville's pretty beat up, had his confidence shaken, but every decision he has made up to this point has been to protect his people. It hasn't gone well and those decisions have certainly been weighting on him. He's on his knees awaiting death and judgement when Rico, a literal ghost of his past, someone he effectively condemned to death, shows up. This is a glimmer of hope for Narville. This is proof that not all of his orders have destroyed his people. So when Rico responds the way he does, Narville is genuinely taken aback. He damned a few in order to try and save the many and presumably he thought Rico would recognize that.

Anyways, we shoot a few more of Stahl's Helghoons and get a cutscene where someone finally gets around to telling Rico about the ISA's white flag. Sev is correct from a certain point of view, it doesn't seem like the Helghast are going to honour the surrender, but it's clear he doesn't realize that they've been captured by and are currently fighting Stahl's private soldiers. Again, if Orlock's forces had been able to capture them, this whole situation might have played out very differently. Of course, though, Narville, Sev, and Rico can't know about the schism in the Helghan Senate, about the rivalry between Orlock and Stahl. For all intents and purposes, the Helghast at large really are getting ready to reignite the war.

We also get a moment where Narville and Rico's competing views on the matter are laid bare: Rico mistrusts anything to do with the Helghast and would rather fight to the death, whereas Narville was willing to do what it took to save as many of his soldiers as possible. This argument is yet to reach its crescendo, but Sev is going to have more and more to say about it, caught in the middle as he is.

Quick break to shoot some badguys and we find ourselves at he next plot dump.

If you hadn't realized that Stahl and his creepy irradiated petrusite experiments are bad, we are treated to a brief moment of Sev and Rico grimacing as they see what Stahl does to his prisoners.

Then Sev and Rico find Stahl's deep, dark secret: invasion plans for Earth!

(Note: the Earth hologram has been visible the whole time in gameplay. If you go back through the video, you can plainly see it. Heck, you briefly see it right before the cutscene.)

(Note 2: goodness, Sev's stupid face. The guy makes the stupidest expressions sometimes. There are Killzone 3 memes. Did you know there are Killzone 3 memes? There are. I like the ones that make fun of Sev's gormless expressions:)

The simulation starts and--

:stare:

uh

okay

Considering all the pains the Helghast went through to get a single nuke from the ISA, I'm not sure if the regular army has access to this much ordinance of this scope. I'm guessing this is all from Stahl's personal stash of war crime weapons. I'm going to go even further and guess that this is the projected yield from highly experimental petrusite and irradiated petrusite weapons. According to this simulation, Stahl has developed a cruiser and armament capable of eliminating every major city on the planet. Hard to say how well Earth's defenses could handle such an assault since we know so little about Earth, but if Stahl has more than one of the cruisers and is able to warp in before Earth can muster its forces then they are well and truly doomed.

Fast foward to Stahl returning to that same hologram room. His speech has been ruined, his big plan a wash, all thanks to Sevchenko and Velasquez, so he is now desperately trying to advance his invasion plans for Earth. Stahl figures that if he can follow through with his plans, he can still win over the Helghan Senate and become Autarch, his slip-up on national television forgiven.

Unfortunately, he's interrupted by a call from Orlock. As Visari's image looms over Orlock's shoulders, we can already begin to guess the reason: in the wake of Stahl's embarrassment, the Senate has moved to vote Orlock in as the new Autarch.

:colbert:

Stahl is forced to concede to Orlock.

At least publicly.

But the gears are turning in that twisted head of his.

The invasion plans hover before his eyes.

You just know Stahl isn't going to take this lying down.

More shooting, some jetpacks, and an ATAC later, the tension between Narville and Velasquez boils over again. Sev is once again caught in between, but his reaction is different this time. In the first third of the game, Sev leaned towards Narville. Sure, Sev wasn't entirely on board with Narville's plan, but he understood that he didn't have a complete picture of the battlefield. He trusted Narville's orders and he reminded Rico to fall in line. The reaction makes sense. Rico had recently disobeyed orders by killing Visari, making him a martyr in the process, ensuring that the Helghast would be inspired to fight even harder, and in doing so, effectively dooming the remaining ISA. The sensible choice was to shut up and stick to the evacuation plans.

Since then, Sev has seen Helghast soldiers kill ISA POWs with a gun that fires radiation and causes the human body to disintegrate explosively. He has seen heavily armoured Helghast soldiers stab fleeing ISA soldiers with toxin-laced blades. He has witnessed Helghast forces descend upon the ISA and butcher them--AFTER the ISA had surrendered. He saw that the Helghast planned to go further and execute Narville on national Helghan television. He then found plans for a Helghast invasion of Earth. As far as Sev is concerned, the Helghast aren't to be trusted and the remaining ISA have been forced into a situation where they basically have to fight to the last person because there's really no chance they're getting off the planet alive. (That all the horrible things Sev has witnessed has been at the hands of Stahl and his private army are besides the point--as far as Sev can tell, this has been the fault of the Helghast at large).

Thus, where Sev once used his sway to get Rico to shut up and follow orders, he's now going to use it to get Naville to gather his forces for a last stand.

I really like that Sev is not a silent protagonist. This happens a lot in FPS games and it would have been easy for Guerrilla to make Sev just another voiceless grunt. Instead, he has a personality of his own, with conflicted ideas that change over the course of the game and help affect the narrative.

Regardless, it's hard not to feel a little frustrated when Jammer flies in bad mouthing Narville.

Rico has clearly been fostering a distrust of command amongst his Raiders. Still, it makes sense from a narrative perspective to provide balance. If Narville has Hooper as his trusted right-hand person, it makes sense that Rico would have his own second in the form of Jammer.

One short (forgettable) action sequence later--

Helghast forces are gathering. Again, our heroes do not know that these are a rogue Helghast faction acting under Stahl's orders.

All that they know is that a scout ship has been launched in preparation of an invasion.

crow and I are joined for this video by Cirvante, or Cirv, also known on the forums as Mersenne. Cirv is, like nine-gear crow, yet another weird anime plane game enthusiast. He hasn’t done any LPs himself, but he has appeared as a guest commentator on a number of LPs, including crow's weird anime plane game, crow's other weird plane game, in CJacobs’ Spec Ops: The Line FUBAR Mode bonus stream, and near the tail end of Dash Rendar’s Emily Is Away stream LP for the Casual Games thread, among other various things.

StA-5X Irradiated Petrusite Cannon

Utilizes irradiated petrusite, stored as a plasma-like substance in canisters and fire as a concentrated stream of gas. Will cause lightly armoured opponents to explode violently with a blast or two. Can be charged to release a more powerful stream of gas. Due to the properties of irradiated petrusite, one only needs to fire it in the vicinity of a target--the gas is attracted to the weak bioelectrics of living organisms and will gravitate towards them.

In cutscenes, it is seen fired as a constant stream (imaging the Gluon Gun from Half-Life). In-game, it is fired in a blast.

Overheats quickly. Ammo is not traditionally found in the game environment, requiring players to either pick up a new Petrusite Cannon or to use an ammo box which inexplicably contains every possible type of ammunition ever made forever. Truly, the ammo boxes are Killzone 3's greatest inventions.

This gun is great! There are a lot of waves of enemies in this section of the game that can easily bog you down. The Petrusite Cannon is meant to eliminate that problem and get you through Stahl Arms quickly and efficiently. Like other specialized weapons, the Arc Cannon of Killzone 2 and the Jetpack, its appearances in the game are limited, so have fun with it while you can.

Ice Saw

A big militarized snowmobile. Has a minigun and lock-on missiles stored in pods of five. The Helghast certainly don't mess about when it comes to transportation.

Sev and Rico looking out at the space elevators and Stahl's fleet. I'm wondering where this irradiated petrusite crater came from. Clearly related to the New Sun's crash (:rip: Templar :rip:), but were the space elevators always there or did Stahl have them set up after the fact around the crater to hide their presence from, say, Orlock?

MAWLR assembly line concept art. Stahl's mass producing these things. :stonk:

Concept art of the scientists in Stahl Arms.

Bonus Killzone memery:

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 16, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Glancing over that list, I'm having trouble deciding who my top 5 would be.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

1. Hakha
  2. Luger
  3. Sev
  4. Stahl
  5. Narville / Radec * Tied for 5th

NEXT!

You philistine!

Though your Narville/Radec tie made me realize that ranking them is so difficult because the characters should earn their TOP 5 rank based on how interesting their interactions are as characters. That is to say, you can't just have a TOP 5 KILLZONE CHARACTERS list. Killzone is less about characters than it is about their conflicts with other characters. Therefore, you need a TOP 5 KILLZONE CHARACTER CONFLICTS!!!

For your consideration, I submit my list:

In 5th place

Adams and Templar

An anime space villain betrays his own kind in some sort of weird power grab slash worship of the enemy and in the process kills Generic Action Hero Man's not-daddy. Thus sets the stage for one of the more by-the-numbers conflicts in the game. That you can confront General Anime as any of the main characters is kind of weird when it's clear the plot meant for Templar to confront him.

In 4th place

Lente and Hakha

Imagine two friends who join the military and rise through the ranks together in time for their sci-fi hellhole space planet to descend into space fascism. Now imagine one of those friends is totally okay with space fascism while the other is totally repulsed by the idea. The one stays on and makes general while the other turns traitor. The general, feeling betrayed, has his old friend's brother killed and makes sure to drag his family name through the dirt so that all his relatives hate him. This is what happened to Lente and Hakha. Fast forward several years, Lente is trying to lead an invasion on Vekta while Hakhe desperately tries to thwart him. It all comes to an end when Hakhe kills him by shooting him in the nuts.

In 3rd place

Narville and Sev and Velasquez

We're in the middle of this one, so I won't belabour the point, but Sev struggling to find the balance between the two voices shouting in either one of his ears is great. Will he listen to Narville's reserved judgements or fall into temptation for Rico's violent urges? Who knows!?

In 2nd place

Orlock and Stahl

Two grumpy men yell at each other because they want to sit in the big man's chair. This argument is the most Shakespearean of all and is still yet to reach its climax.

Aaaaaaand in 1st place

Visari and Velasquez

One man, with the charisma and strategic brilliance of every 20th century dictator, builds a new nation, a new species, out of some spit-poor backwater death-trap of a planet, creates a militaristic, totalitarian regime that's the envy of all super villains, is worshipped by his people as a living god--is killed by some pissed off grunt he's never met.

Shakespeare

Oh, and my Honourable Mention goes to

Danner and Grey and Kratek and Benoit

Some putz of a mercenary from Earth with a lovely beard, a lovely hat, and lovely arm sleeve tattoos takes down a woman so consumed with revenge after taking a bullet to the head that she's willing to destroy the population of an entire planet with an incredibly infections super virus, a Helghast colonel that looks so much like a super villain mad scientist that Doctor Doom started taking notes, and a malicious PMC commander that has made a literal mint by forming multiple companies to play off every conceivable side of the war--all because they stiffed him some cash.

SOMEONE GET BUZZFEED ON THE PHONE! JOYSTIQ. HIRE ME KOTAKU, THESE LISTS WRITE THEMSELVES

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 17, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Radec's most interesting character conflict is between him and his gun is when Rico spits on his corpse. :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
My name is Blind Sally and I approve of this message that crow has posted.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

White Coke posted:

I don't think the scanner scene is unintentionally hilarious. It's very much intentional. First it gets you kind of worried that Rice and Sev will be discovered, even though you know they won't, then everything is fine and you realize that the Helghast aren't a Master Race totally distinct from humanity and it's just bullshit pseudo science.

Unintentionally hilarious from the point of view of the Helghast? Regardless, agreed.

Hey Killzoners, all the footage for the last view levels now have commentary. We're basically at the part where I just need to find time to finishing mixing the audio and editing the footage. Going to try and have the next vid up by the weekend, but work has been very demanding recently. It's on its way, though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:worship::worship::worship::siren::siren::siren:

All hail the Gun of Guns, the Supreme Destroyer of Living Things--

The VC21 Boltgun

Say what you will about crow's grenade allergy, he can be a real wizard with heavy industrial machinery.

A few things about the Boltgun that I just want to highlight--

1) It was mentioned in the last LP, but I'll mention it again: during the Invasion of Vekta, Sev's father was killed by a Helghast weilding a Boltgun. Yes. You read that right. Some rear end in a top hat Helghast brought a piece of retrofitted heavy machinery with him to invade a foreign planet to kill middle-class Vektan lawyer/doctor types by pinning them to walls with exploding rails.

2) The Boltgun is as accurate as the game's Sniper Rifle, so crow bringing the Boltgun to a sniper fight was actually pretty well planned. In Killzone 2's multiplayer, there was a DLC map pack that introduced two new maps, each that brought previously singleplayer-only guns into multiplayer as special pick-ups: the Boltgun and Flamethrower. A number of hardcore Killzone 2 players were able to quickly dominate Boltgun maps, simply because they became so good at aiming the Boltgun that they were able to hip-fire snipe people from across the map. Good times.

Also, I want to add onto what crow said at the end about the Rico/Narville dynamic. The best part about the difference of knowledge between the grunts and their superiors is that Rico and Narville have effectively switched roles. In the beginning of the game, right after Visari's death, Rico played the part of the leader who wanted to turtle up and go on the defensive to save as many ISA lives as possible. Narville, meanwhile, had a greater knowledge of the war at large and knew that if they didn't rush for the ISA rallying point, they were going to all get left behind on Helghast. This led to Avenger Convoy's mad dash to the ISA Cruiser along with many ISA deaths--much to Rico's frustration.

Now, Six Months Later..., the roles are reversed, as crow said. Narville wants to play defensively (much to Rico's frustration) whereas Rico has access to greater knowledge of the war at large and knows they need to make a rush for the space elevator or die trying.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Also, at 52 deaths from crow, the following people have been ranked out of the death contest:

• White Coke - Blind Sally: 41; nine-gear crow: 51
  • Kinfolk910 - Blind Sally: 40; nine-gear crow: 50
  • chiasaur11 - Blind Sally: 39; nine-gear crow: 50
  • Lotish - Blind Sally: 30; nine-gear crow: 48

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SIGSEGV posted:

Also it's pretty amazing it didn't get shot to poo poo by the arriving Vektan spacecraft because Helghast oblige that thing's top station must have been covered in guns and missile launchers.

I believe the implication is that this was set up in the six months after the Helghast repelled the initial ISA invasion, in case there was another wave of ISA Cruisers. To me, it looks like this has been set up somewhere in the Maelstra Barrens, where Templar's cruiser went down. (With all the irradiated petrusite, I've wondered if the orbital elevator was in fact placed near the impact site).

chiasaur11 posted:

(I'm neutral on the subject of Boneitus)

:golfclap:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

cirvante joines nine-gear crow and myself once again as the ISA reach their lowest point and the game wraps up it's conflict between Narville and Velasquez.

First thing's first: Chekhov's Massive Energy Spike. You better believe we're going to deal with whatever it is Jammer's scanners have found. Until then, we get a bit of classic Killzone 2-style combat a la Salamun Bridge.

The lead tank here is our marker of progress. As with these stages in Killzone 2, if you let the Helghast entrench themselves you can easily get bogged down in a drawn out battle. If you can rush ahead and prevent them from getting a solid foothold, then your troops and tank will quickly follow.

Also, if you're paying close to your radio chatter, you'll see that the plot between Narville and Velasquez is continuing. As the highest commanding ISA officer, Naville is currently leading the charge, but Rico still can't seem to help himself--he's become used to command and has his own style of attack; operating under the command of Narville again is beginning to chafe. Still, when Narville denies his request, Rico sticks to the plan.

Which is good, because Narville's charge succeeds and the ISA push through.

And now we're introduced to Chekhov's Bunker Full of Helghast Ordnance. You better believe we're going to use it to deal with the Massive Energy Spike. Speaking of which:

This mission chapter is simply amazing for :wtf: facial expressions. But, yes, there's clearly lingering mistrust between Narvile and Velasquez. I mean, Rico has been questioning his orders at every turn--not to mention there's the whole Visari thing that arguably has led them, all of them, the Helghast and the ISA, to this point. That said, Sev is correct: Rico did save all of them from Stahl. The man has made mistakes (many mistakes (mistakes that have needlessly prolonged this conflict and arguably have condemned an uncountable number of people to death)), but he's not irredeemable not completely irredeemable not, uh...h-he's not... er, it remains to be seen if he can be redeemed one of theirs.

Though before Narville can respond, Jammer's Massive Energy Spike shows up.

Narville issues the order to rush to the space elevator, in a fitting parallel to the orders he issued six months earlier to rush to the ISA extraction point. The question remains whether he will be able to commit to these orders or if he'll order a withdrawal. Remember, after the failure to capture Visari, Narville's priority has been to save as many ISA lives as possible and get them home. He lost many lives six months earlier making a mad dash for the extraction point, but the alternative was being left to die on Helghan. Right now, the space elevator offers no such escape from the planet, merely the slim possibility at halting the invasion of Earth. In the face of the MAWLR, there's the distinct possibility that Narville is simply expediting his forces to a quick death from a giant mecha's death ray.

Meanwhile, Sevchenko wanders off to find the Bunker Full of Helghast Ordnance.

Rico clearly disagrees with Narville's tactical plan.

Rico nearly decides to go lone wolf, but in a moment of surprisingly humility he checks in with his commanding officer first. Are we having a "Rico trying to better himself" moment?

Aaaaaand, Narville has decided not to go through with the space elevator 100-metre dash. I don't blame him. The MAWLR is literally liquidating any ISA armour that tries to approach. It certainly seems hopeless.

Ha, nope. Of course, when he doesn't get the order he wants, he decides to force the matter, so, uh, no, I don't count this as a genuine "Rico trying to better himself" moment.

It was mentioned before that Narville doesn't have the full picture of the battlefield as he didn't see Stahl's invasion plans for Earth. I've decided that I'm not entirely convinced. Having been a prisoner of Stahl's, I'm confident that Narville is perfectly aware of what the man is capable of. Not only that, but Narville has fought his way through his factories--he also knows exactly what Stahl is armed with. Furthermore, I'm confident that Narville believed Sev and Rico when they said Stahl was going to invade Earth. It's great that Sev is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to protect Earth, as the commanding officer, that means Narville is responsible for making that decision for every single ISA soldier under his command. It's not an easy decision and Narville isn't taking it lightly; you can see the indecision, the conflict, written all over his face.

The expressiveness of Guerrilla's character models is top notch. You really get the feeling that Narville is caught between a rock and a hard place.

By that time, Rico has shown up to complicate matters further. In this instance, I feel he's right. Earth is looking at global decimation. The remaining ISA here are the only ones capable of giving Earth a fighting chance. It's extremely likely none of them will survive, so really, they might as well keep at it and try to stop the invasion, even if they all have to die trying.

But Narville's only human.

And his confidence has been broken by setback after setback.

Against all hope he managed to get Avenger Convoy to Visari's Palace, but because he was unable to keep one grunt under control, their primary objective failed, dooming the entire mission. He then tried to get his remaining forces off planet and back home, and lost many in the attempt, but ultimately failed. He tried to keep them safe, hidden in the Kaznan Jungle, and while it worked for a little while, it too failed, resulting in countless more deaths. Beaten, broken, he watched helplessly as another soldier under his command was executed before he, too, faced the end of a gun barrel on national Helghan television--only to be rescued at he last minute by the very soldier that doomed the entire mission and a squad of soldiers who he'd chosen to leave for dead six months earlier, many of whom had been grown to resent him.

Now, he faced the prospect of sending the last of his forces to their deaths. Talk about a doomed command.

So put yourself in Narville's shoes for moment. Imagine you've been through all that and are now facing this fateful, final decision, when the guy--that one guy who screwed up everything--gets up in your face and starts yelling at you to just do it. Just send everyone to die already.

And then calls you a coward.

:siren::siren::siren::thurman::bravo::drat::fuckoff::bravo::thurman::siren::siren::siren:

Thankfully, Sev stops things before they can escalate.

He's sick an tired of being caught in the middle.

He's tired of being torn between Rico Velasquez and Jason Narville.

He's done with all the pointless bickering and in-fighting.

He's going to say "gently caress this" to Narville's plan--

--and "gently caress this" to Rico's plan.

And he's going to go fight the MAWLR on foot.

Because Sev realizes something neither Rico nor Narville ever will.

He realizes that he is an FPS protagonist in a video game.

(I kid.)

Sevchenko's idea is a desperate measure, but it's worked for him before. With Narville's Armour Group and Rico's Raiders drawing fire from the ground and air, Sev just might be able to pull of the greatest David vs. Goliath match-up on Helghan.

And he does, proving that when Rico and Narville work together a lot can get done.

Unfortunately, Sev's Hail Mary doesn't work and in fact only serves to piss off the MAWLR crew even further. The remnants of Armour Group give it their all, but as you can see from the above image, they are hopelessly, hilariously outgunned.

:what:

Then we have a moment where Narville, Jammer, and Hooper are all gathered in one place amidst the debris.

There's a second where you think that they're going to get back on the horse and give it one last shot--

--but it is dashed by the Helghast, like an overripe cantaloupe against a rock.

Sev and the few remaining ISA soldiers who followed him to the ordnance bunker regroup. Sadly, no answer on the radio. No Narville, no Jammer, no Hooper--and no Rico, where the hell did Rico get to?

Ah well, Rico and the survivors fight their way to the top of a tower to--I don't know what. Did they plan on jumping onto the MAWLR from there? It's a nice sentient, but you can't brute force everything, Sev. So now he stands there, gazing on at the MAWLR, questioning his life choices.

When suddenly a bunch of idiots bring knives to a gun fight. This could very well be it. The ISA have reached what seems to be their lowest point. Sevchenko has continued to fight on, but it looks like he's going to be overwhelmed by a group of Stahl's best-dressed but least-prepared foot soldiers.

Cue dramatic Hollywood moment:

:black101:

I mean, seriously, why aren't these mooks at least running around with pistols? Their armour is clearly great at protecting them from small arms fire, but doesn't mean they should be armed only with some really short wrist knives. Give them a gun! They're clearly competent! Look at this guy! He dodged the minigun and jumped onto a moving Intruder. Imagine if he'd had a gun? He could be shooting Hooper dead right now. Hooper would be dead, and they'd all crash into the ground. Game Over for Narville and Jammer. Or, heck, they could've all just shot the poo poo out of Sevchenko a moment earlier. Imagine if all of them just pulled out a bunch of handguns and started firing while Sev's bullets ricocheted harmlessly off their armour? Game over, full stop. End of Killzone 3.

But no, Stahl sends them in with tiny knives.

Trying to make them look all tough and unstoppable like the Terminator doesn't work either. He can't even reach in far enough to grab Hooper or to stab him. I bet this idiot was wishing that he had a gun right about now. He could reach his hand through the hole in the windshield and just kill Hooper. There's nowhere to run. Boom. One shot. Game over.

But no, he decides that isn't going to work at all and climbs up onto this platform clearly marked "NO STEP". That is clearly not OSHA compliant.

So he finally makes it onto the Intruder platform, Narville does the Caveman Sponge Bob pose and--

Oh. Hey, Rico.

Really? Really???

Well, it looks cool.

And because Rico is a wizard with harpoon guns:

:stonklol:

Then something weird happens: Narville lets Rico take the lead! It looks like Sev's pep-talk is worked; the two are now working together.

The group then proceed to destroy the MAWLR by literally shooting off every gun on it. Literally. They even saw off the death ray with their miniguns.

They win, but the losses are massive. Barely 60 ISA soldiers are now left on the planet and they haven't even made it on the space platform yet.

Any hope they might've had at stopping the invasion fleet has gone out the window. At best, they can get a warning off to Earth so they can prepare their defenses. It's not much.

There's a rare moment of genuine compassion between Rico and Narville. It's nice.

It also signifies the end of the Narvile/Rico conflict.

Sev's not done with the pep-talks, though, and rallies the remaining soldiers to embark on their final mission.

Hooper and Jammer are tasked with sneaking into the communications array getting a signal off to Earth. The rest of them plan to slow down the fleet's departure.

But how, you might ask? Simple--

Wait, what?!

Y-you guys are going to what!?!

Uh...

I spent the majority of this level using the Helghast and ISA machine guns. I've spoken about them before. They make great hip-fire weapons. I mean, really, any weapon that lets you project as many bullets as possible as quickly as possible is a great gun.

(Which is why the Minigun is the greatest).

I feel it relevant to bring back this bit of concept art:

A little more MAWLR:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lazy Bear posted:

Made something for you.

Guerrilla knows how to give their audience exactly what they want.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, as a matter of record: I have begun recording the first parts of Killzone: Shadow Fall recent. I've got to go through and get all the collectibles before I record anything else, but SF is basically a go at this point.

Well gently caress. I guess now that this is happening I should censor the next video a little bit. We spoiler Shadow Fall as if we're not going to play it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SIGSEGV posted:

Also I wonder how they are going to de-orbit a space elevator, unless it's a shorter than full scale elevator and therefore an active structure, it's supposed to go away from the planet if the cable's tension isn't there to hold it since it is orbiting at geosynchronous speed higher than a geosynchronous (helgasynchronous?) orbit.

tbh, I don't think Sev knows what he's talking about regarding the space elevator.

Fish Noise posted:

Now with extra Rico-blaming.

C'mere, Helghast! Sev's got somethin' to say!

lol

that's beautiful

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha, well played, Tim Harrison.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's beautiful! Play Dark Souls already, crow!!!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Last time on Killzone...

Just to get it out of the way: I love how the two narratives, that of the ISA and the several month long argument between Stahl and Orlock, intertwine in this chapter. We begin with a shot of the ISA soldiers riding up the space elevator to the station, then quickly switch to an image an advanced Helghast Cruiser--

--where we find Stahl about to board the station to meet Orlock.

By now, I hope that you all know Stahl well enough to know that he isn't just going to take Orlock's appointment as Autarch lying down.

As their ships dock with the space station--

--the ISA catch a glimpse of them through the window. This will be a recurring motif throughout the stage: the ISA as background characters. Right now, the focus of this chapter is the struggle between Orlock and Stahl. It's barrelling towards its ultimate conclusion as Sev and co. struggle through the station. By the time either Stahl or Orlock realize the threat that the ISA pose, it will quite literally be too late for them to do anything about it.

Even as Orlock's aides warn of him their presence on the station, not to mention the fact that they took down the loving MAWLR, Orlock brushes it off. In his mind, the ISA are all but an after thought. Stahl is his only real enemy now and he plans to revel in his defeat.

The final conflict begins. Two warriors grumpy old men size each other up before battle.

Well, let's be honest, Stahl, neither of you brought very men. That said, I agree. Orlock is underestimating his opponent. This may be intentional, an attempt to throw shade in order to further insult Stahl. Still really foolish. Orlock plans to have Stahl killed and he brought along a retinue of soldiers that are, quite frankly, outclasses. Stahl's troopers are more heavily armed and armoured. They have gigantic electricity cannons on them.

Orlock is being foolishly arrogant.

Yup. Super, super arrogant. Look at the smug look on his face. This is a man who thinks he's already one, who is toying with his prey before going in for the kill.

An excellent shot here. Upon first viewing, it doesn't seem all that ominous. A quick glimpse at the soldiers standing behind Orlock. Perhaps they're tense. Makes sense, they're getting ready to put a bullet in Stahl and his troops.

Of course, Stahl has already planned ahead. The silent disappointment on Orlock's face is majestic. So much rage must be boiling under the surface. Again, the facial expressions in this game are amazing.

Look at this. Look at this face. This is the face of a man who was centimetres, no, millimetres away from ultimate victory over his most hated foe, only to completely loving botch it in the end. Shoulda brought more people Orlock. Shoulda shot Stahl as he walked in. Shoulda just torpedoed his ship from orbit. Heck, you shoulda bombarded Stahl Arms from orbit with Stahl inside. You shoulda done a thousand things differently, but instead here we are.

Good job.

Good job, Orlock.

Well done.

Stahl then immediately decides to show his superiority to Orlock by doing what Orlock should've done in the first place by, uh... w-wait, by blowing up other Helghast? Well, gently caress it, it looks like we're in for a coup. You've messed up Orlock. If Stahl can get himself elected by the Senate, he'll make himself Autarch.

It's at this point we discover that Stahl has created energy shield. Presumably from irradiated petrusite, since that's the macguffin that just keep on giving--oh, and due to the green hue. This is a pretty big game changer for the Killzone universe. We know this from Orlock's reaction:

The ramifications are huge. If it's petrusite-based, this is a technology neither Vekta nor Earth have. Stahl will be able to fly his ships in largely unopposed and enforce his will on any other planet in the galaxy.

This has gone too far, even for Orlock.

Mean bastard though he is, Orlock still has an internal moral compass of some sort.

Stahl, having rubbed Orlock's face in it a bit, finally draws his weapon, ready to end it.

But even Stahl can't help but do the villain's monologue, even after he showed up Orlock for doing it. Orlock, who conveniently always carries around a blade with him ever since his rough childhood on the streets of Helghan (this isn't mentioned in-game--probably in the tie-in novel, I don't remember), makes his move.

Between this and Rico, Guerrilla is drat good at giving their audience what they want. I mean, look at that face: this is an incredible "oh poo poo!" moment that Stahl is on the receiving end of.

Seriously, though, why is everyone such a colossal screw up? You shoulda just shot him, Stahl, etc., etc.

The nameless mooks make short work of each other--

--and Orlock suddenly has the upper hand once again. Only this time it's down to the two grumpy old men.

Stahl ducks out of the scene--

--and we're reminded that the ISA are still very much a thing. I love that there's this incredibly intense and personal battle for the very future of Helghan taking place on one side of the space station, and here we are on the other just doing our own thing watching it all fall apart from the outside. We're going to keep doing our own thing, and again, by the time Orlock or Stahl realize what a threat the ISA still are, it will be way too late.

It's also at this point that we get our last orders from Narville. The plan to warn Earth and deorbit the space station is out of the window. Thankfully. We really didn't need to add anything else to the War Crimes Counter.

Instead, the plan is to hijack some of the Helghast Strike Fighters and to attack the Helghast fleet with conventional weaponry. With all the confusion of the Helghast ships attacking other Helghast ships, I suppose it won't be too difficult for the ISA to swoop in and knock out the flagship. It's more traditional combat and is probably a nicer way to end the game than initiating a colony drop.

Hooper and Jammer are told to forgot the whole communications subplot, though, which seems like a mistake to me. Yeah, sure, go grab some fighters and start shooting at bad guys, but it's probably a good idea to warn Earth as well. It looks like they're already there. I mean, didn't Hooper just help Jammer get some sort of access key? Can't we use that to warn Earth? Wait, I guess Jammer said "way ahead of you", so maybe she had already decided warning Earth was a waste of time, preemptively ignored Narville's orders, and instead grabbed a key to the strike fighters? But what if Narville hadn't changed orders? What if Stahl's forces were about to make the jump for Earth and Narville was all like, "hey Jammer, at least you got the message off to Earth, right?" but instead it turned out she and Hooper had wasted everyone's time by grabbing keys to space jet fighter? What would they have done then? Ah gently caress it.

I guess this moment is to show that even Rico and Narville's No. 1's can work together. It feels a bit superfluous--a tacked on scene so Jammer and Hooper's VAs would have more dialogue, but here we are.

Anyways, we move on to some more combat--

(This one's for you CJacobs).

It's nice to know that Guerrilla didn't forget about the exploding spider robots from Killzone: Liberation.

Oh, and the artificial gravity is turned off. Except it's not. It's just weaker, so you can space jump. Except, uh, when you get shot at. So if you are a piece of destructible environment, a Helghast soldier, or one of their guns or helmets, the moment you die you become weightless. This is because

Okay, the back half of Portal 2 makes more sense because there's now a war going on outside and I imagine the station is taking some collateral damage. Still, the whole gravity but no gravity thing is absurd, even for an already absurd FPS.

Back to the real plot, Stahl gets in a sneak hit on Orlock, producing one of the most gifable moments in the game:

Orlock has lost his advantage again. Sorry, Ray Winstone, Malcolm McDowell has the upper hand.

This is a great moment. So great that I think whoever wrote the script for Dredd may have been inspired by it when the did this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raqF9qsakY4

Orlock's "wait" is so human. Stahl's response is perfect.

This moment here is a great bit of character development. A genuine plea from Orlock, true compassion and concern for his fellow Helghast. I believe Orlock. I don't think this is a ruse. He's a soldier. A leader. I'm sure he's experienced with "acceptable losses", but he doesn't want the Helghast people to self-destruct. He doesn't want Helghast to slaughter Helghast. He doesn't want a civil war.

I believe this is a genuine moment from Orlock to reach out.

Too little, too late, to be frank, but I appreciate the attempt nonetheless.

(Shout out to the person in charge of captioning this game.)

Of course, Orlock is ever the opportunist and takes this moment to try and get the upper hand again. This isn't him being a hypocrite, this isn't proof of him lying to Stahl--again, I believe that was a genuine plea a moment ago. That said, Orlock is just now truly realizing what a menace Stahl is to Helghan society. At this point, Orlock is trying to put down a mad dog.

Sadly, it's once again too little, too late.

:pwn:

This mistake is more egregious than the whole gravity but not gravity thing. The nuke gun is established as literally disintegrating people, clothing included. How the hell did Orlock's suit and gloves survive? What is this nonsense?

Anyways, I love this moment. At the climax of the game, the two enemies duke it out with themselves and kill themselves. The protagonists of the game, though nearby, never actually cross paths with them. They've been influencing each other this whole time, but never directly face off. I love when stories do this. It reminds me of The Fifth Element, particularly the scene where the heroes step onto one elevator, just as the primary antagonist steps out of another only to eventually be killed off by another set of bad guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhcvbPGyFso&t=59s

Stahl is reminded that, yes, the ISA do still exist.

He throws some shade on Orlock then orders the entire destruction of the space station.

This is the man who now leads the Helghast. He's made it quite clear that he doesn't hold his people in quite the same regard as his former opponent.

(What self-respecting piece of architecture or technology wouldn't have the Helghan Triad?)

As Stahl's nuke approaches the station, our heroes make a last moment escape on the strike fighters.

Another stupid thing to note: the Helghast Strike Fighters leave red contrails.

Except when the ISA fly them, which makes them blue. (If you can spot Jammer and Hooper's fighter in this screenshot, nine-gear crow will by you a new avatar!)

This is effectively it for the game. This last part is an on-rails shooting gallery. It's not particularly exciting. It culminates with us blowing up a green metal Fruit Loop then pressing the "O" button to win.

For such a dramatic moment, the gameplay is sure ending on a whimper. All the previous Killzone games gave us some sort of boss encounter, from taking pot shots at General Anime, to Stratson's Mini Metal Gear, to Colonel Radec's genuinely terrifying and challenging invisible knife fight. It's a shame that there wasn't something here.

Regardless, Stahl's ship is going down. His right hand sees the writing on the wall, but Stahl is stubborn.

He's also good at his job. He stabilizes his flagship--

-- just in time for the player to press "O" to win. Yeah, mess him up, Sev!

I wasn't kidding about pressing "O" to win the game. This is our final boss fight. This is how Killzone 3 ends.

Not with a bang, but a whimper.

(2nd most gifable moment in the game.)

Ha, okay, I was wrong about this game not ending in a bang. There's at least a bit of a bang.

Or--dang. That's a pretty big explosion.

Holy--are you kidding?

I, I--

T-this is no time to joke around, Jammer.

Sad face Hooper meme is far more appropriate.

Jesus Murphy.

Y-yeah, Rico. You did it.

You all did it.

Sally fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 17, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Enter ORLOCK, STAHL, and respective security teams

STAHL
If I mistake not, thou art Count Orlock.

ORLOCK
What game is this, Stahl? Thou speak'st as if I would deny my name.

STAHL
By order of the most highest council of Helghan,
I, Jorhan Brimve Stahl, do commit myself to thee.
I shall thus serve in whichever capacity is required.
But what is this? Where'st thy retinue? Thy flag-bearers?

ORLOCK
Stahl. A very valiant rebel of the name.
LIke father like son, failure is your business.

STAHL
Dost thou take me for a Leonard? No.
Tis ironic that thou needed both of us to help thee.

ORLOCK.
Have the weapons been brought?

SOLDIER
Sir, yes. Armaments confirmed on the chairman's cruiser.

ORLOCK.
Thou should'st be proud, Stahl.
Thy creations will usher in a Golden Age of Helghan dominance.
I am the Autarch; and think not, Jorhan,
To share with me in glory any more:
Two stars cannot keep their motion on one sphere;
Nor can one Helghan brook a double reign,
Of Jorhan Stahl and the Autarch of the Helghast.

STAHL
Nor shall it, Admiral; for the hour is come
To end the one of us; the woefully underpaid military
Do betray thee--pathetcally predictible--
And would to God thy name in arms were no as great as Stahl Arms!
Commodore, preparations are ready?

COMMODORE [over radio]
Yes, Chairman.

STAHL
Release!

ORLOCK
Thou wouldst not dare! You developed Greek Fire? When?

STAHL
Why dost thou avert thine eyes? Behold!
Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!

ORLOCK
I'll make it greater ere I part from thee;
And all the budding honours on thy crest
I'll crop, to make a garland for my head.
Stahl Arms will be mine once thee are dead!

STAHL
I can no longer brook thy vanities.
Thou shalt beg at my feet, just as the senate will!

They fight

Enter VELASQUEZ

VELASQUEZ
What the gently caress?

VELASQUEZ remains out of sight

The Helghast security kill each other; ORLOCK stabs STAHL

STAHL
O, fiend! O, blackguard!

STAHL hides himself behind a pillar

VELASQUEZ
aside What is this Shakespeare bullshit?

ORLOCK
Well done, Stahl, well done!
Nay, you shall find no boy's play here, I can tell you.
Now reveal thyself! Thou canst not hide for eternity!

STAHL strikes ORLOCK from behind

ORLOCK
Stay your hand, Stahl! Search your feelings.
Wouldst thy leave Helghan defenseless?

STAHL
Is that all? Is that your best?

ORLOCK
Pray, friend, Helghan, countryman! Lend me your ear:
Even if thy success is at hand, would Helghan's enemies
Give you time to rebuild? Look! Look around!
Thou art destroying our people!

STAHL
Not if my enemines no longer were. My weapons,
Stahl Arm's weapons could kill everyone. Will kill everyone!
Earth shall be laid bare. The colonies would [snap fingers] kneel before me!
And I would not need your help.
Like I said: predictable!

STAHL shoots ORLOCK

ORLOCK
O, Stahl, thou hast robb'd me of my reign!
I better brook the loss of brittle life
Than those proud titles thou has won of me;
They wound my thoughts worse than Irradiated Petrusite Cannon my flesh:
But thought's the slave of life, and life time's fool;
And time, that takes survey of all the world,
Must have a stop. O, I could prophesy,
But that the earthy and cold hand of death
Lies on my tongue: no, Orlock, thou are dust
And food for worms. O, that this too, too solid head
Would melt, thaw, and resolve itself into a pile of goop!
dies

VELASQUEZ
[aside] poo poo, that's nasty!

Enter COMMODORE

STAHL
I imagine that hurt.

COMMODORE
Chairman!

STAHL
Thy report?

COMMODORE
As per your orders, weapons are ready.
Earth will be at our mercy.
We may jump to warp posthaste.

SOLDIER
Sir, the ISA approach.

STAHL
For worms, foolish Orlock: fare thee well!
Ill-weaved ambition, how much art thou shrunk.
And the ISA? Thou could'st not even get that right.
Utterly useless.
Away! Destroy the station as we depart.

COMMODORE
But sir, the men!

STAHL
Let them die!

Exit all except VELASQUEZ

VELASQUEZ
Huh. gently caress it.

VELASQUEZ fires his gun into what is left of ORLOCK's body

VELASQUEZ
Yo, hey Sev, hey Narville, look who I killed!

Exeunt, chased by exploding spider droids

Sally fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 18, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cooked Auto posted:

You typo'd Orlock right in the beginning. :v:

The ending though is great.

Fixed that, plus some other minor things.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So if those containers were filled with Killzone games and they were exploding and such, would that mean they were Volatile Games?

:getout:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

i have a surprise for you

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Other Things Defying Gravity

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Watching the mocap in action is pretty great. Found one of Brian Cox doing Visari in the final Killzone 2 cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr3UFnToAYY

Also, Yahtzee liked Killzone 3 less than I did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwPDRSVcfJo

Also, also, Yahtzee liked Resistance 3 more than I did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8TujFWKjQ

Also, also, also, a great making of Killzone video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Bbsea4frk (wish I found this one sooner)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

NejD posted:

I get why they made some of these choices basically to save money on animation and make the scene feel more unexpected but i really dont think the surprise would ever be worth making the actual impact lessened.

Considering how much work Guerrilla put into animations in general, I personally lean more towards believing they just wanted the cinematics to look more like a Hollywood movie than anything--even if that meant sacrificing some of the more visceral moments in favour of cinematic style.

Not to say this is a defence of that scene; I absolutely agree, the cutaway makes the punch less gratifying.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, the gist of the overarching plot goes something like this: Helghan invades Vekta. The Vektan ISA hold out until the Earth fleet can arrive and the Helghast are decimated or driven back to Helghan.

That's the first two games, Killzone and Liberation. Afterwards, EarthGov says to Vekta, "DO NOT INVADE HELGHAN, WE ARE SENDING DIPLOMATS TO SETTLE THIS WITHOUT FURTHER BLOODSHED. I REPEAT: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE INVADE HELGHAN."

Then Vekta invades Helghan (Killzone 2 & 3), culminating in the loving accidental genocide of the Helghast.

I like to imagine at that point EarthGov just called up the Vektan government and said, "gently caress you, loving fix this."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Marshal Radisic posted:

It makes perfect sense if, like EarthGov, the only emotion you can feel anymore is spite.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I meant, let's be honest here, if EarthGov, Vekta, and Helghan were capable of solving this crisis in a truly rational manner we wouldn't have any more Killzone games.

Earth only ever figures into the universe from the background, though, so it's genuinely hard to guess what their motivations are.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Okay, so that's not actually all. There's still a few things to discuss before we wrap up this mess. Let's go back to the last chapter and look at that credits stinger:

Alright, the planet's been blown up, and while billions have died, there are still Helghast survivors--including these Stahl Arms goons.

I wonder what a pair of Stahl Arms employees could be looking for in the ruins of Helghan?

Huh. It looks like some sort of pod. Like, an escape pod. From a starship of some type. A Stahl Arms starship, perhaps.

Oh, hey, the two Stahl Arms goons are calling a mysterious figure off-screen "sir". I wonder if we'll ever find out who the high-ranking Stahl Arms official they're talking to is. Will Guerrilla Games ever resolve this?

Ha. W-wait, what?

No, really? That's bullshit.

Seriously, this is actually crap. Not in a "man, that's lame" kind of way, but in a "that's straight up not true" way. This is obvious deflecting from the devs to not spoil the idea that, yes, Jorhan Stahl is very loving much alive and will probably appear in Shadow Fall. In fact, while one of those links is still alive, the other one is a dead link off of N4G--so maybe they scrubbed the evidence one it was revealed that Stahl was still kicking?

So yes, this was a not-so-subtle bit of foreshadowing from Guerrilla--but hey, let's take a moment and look back on the surviving characters of Killzone 3 and find out what happened to them, shall we?

First off, let's start off with our heroes: Sev and Rico.

They are more or less forgotten. By Guerrilla, I should say, not the Helghast. We aren't going to see either Sev or Rico ever again. At least not in person. Their story is done, but hints of what happened to them appear in the Killzone sequels. First, there's Killzone: Mercenary, although since the events of Mercenary occur concurrently with Killzone 2, none of the information we find is new. At some point on Helghan, the protagonist, EARTH-MAN ARRAN DANNER, finds an ISA Intelligence report on the initial invasion. It briefly outlines the successes of Narville's Avenger Convoy and then highlights a number of new targets that have arisen. Among them, it mentions Evelyn Batton's identification of the petrusite element. It then goes on to mention that, and I quote, "a unit under the command of Sergeant T. Sevchenko discovered a map of the Petruside distribution system."

Hahahaha, god drat, even the ISA's Shadow Marshall's couldn't tell whether or not Sev or Rico was in charge of Alpha Squad. Visari didn't have a chance. Anyways, this is doubly hilarious because if you remember back to Killzone 2, the discovered of the petrusite grid was actually all Rico--Sev showed up after Rico had already killed the guards and analyzed the map. Anyways, the attached image is a shot of Sevchenko with Rico in the background, so again, the ISA's intelligence had no idea what the gently caress was going on with Alpha Squad.

The last bit of information we ever hear about these two comes from some news headlines in Shadow Fall:

A few things to laugh at here. First, the idea that the Helghast successfully negotiated an evacuation to Vekta. :laffo: if you think the Vektan government wanted that and EarthGov weren't involved in the background. I mean, there's no actually text that confirms this, but I feel the writing is on the wall. As far as I'm concerned, this is propaganda to bolster the mood of the Helghan people. Look at the tone in the rest of the articles. Anyways, the second one is obviously most relevant. Rico and Sev are alive, they have not been tried for any war crimes, are in fact listed as "missing in action" by the Vekta government, and their whereabouts are apparently unknown. I tend to agree with the Helghast news with this one--I think the Vektan government knows exactly where these two are. Only, I'm willing to bet that they're not on Vekta but some other remote colony where they are in hiding, living the rest of their lives in obscurity, far from Alpha Centauri. (That third article, about the child, V. Tyran? Remember that name. Tyran becomes a major character in Shadow Fall).

This is probably the best outcome for them, considering they are now answerable for the deaths of over a billion Helghast. Whether or not they would be found guilty at a tribunal, I don't think either the Helghan or Vektan governments wants to reopen new wounds while they try to resettle their two populations onto a single planet.

I have a feeling I know how Vekta views Sevchenko, though--in Shadow Fall, there is a multiplayer icon of Sevchenko available that is titled "The Hero".

These characters are totally forgotten. Natko got the short shrift early, as we all know, being turned into Killzone 3's multiplayer ghost. One thing of note: dialogue in the co-op mode will refer to him as Sergeant Natko. He was a Corporal in the previous game, so he must have had a field promotion.

Narville essentially disappears once he gets onto Sev and Rico's strike fighter. He's in the engine area somewhere doing support, as he and Rico yell at each other a couple of times, but otherwise that is it. He doesn't even get a bit of dialogue in the end.

Jammer and Hooper do, but we don't hear about them either. In the novel, Ascendancy, Sev develops an attraction for Jammer over the course of the game and promises to himself that he's going to buy her a beer and a burger after it's all over. Maybe they do. Who knows. An interesting bit of characterization since Jammer and Sev hardly say anything to each other in the game, but whatever. If the world was truly just, Jammer would go on to Earth where she would become the next EarthGov President Space Ke$ha. Hopefully Hooper makes it somewhere safe too. He has a wife and two daughters, so I assume they would go into hiding together.

Jammer, like Sev, gets a special title for her playercard in Shadow Fall: The Corporal. So if you ever wondered what her rank in the ISA was, there you go.

He's alive. That's him at the end of the video. Let's not much about with any conspiracies about how that was actually Scolar Visari's reanimated mummified remains hidden in that pod, it's Stahl. Between the Commodore insisting Stahl get to the escape pod, the novelization, Ascendancy, making a big deal about the escape pod, and the pod being found by Stahl Arms employees, there's not really a lot of room for imagination. Stahl's return in Shadow Fall is already being hella telegraphed.

So yeah, he's alive. We'll see him again soon. We'll also see--

She's definitely still alive. This is a reminder of the very first post of this LP: Hera was evacuated from Helghan shortly after Visari's speech and was taken to the colony of Gyre for the remainder of the war. Details of her time on Gyre are limited. After the war, she went to Vekta where she became the Chancellor of the Helghast of New Helghan.

But more on that in the future.

Lastly, I want to talk about Earth, the ISA, and the Helghast--

With regards to this whole stupid conflict, let's not forget that the governments of both Vekta and Helghan are populated with idiot assholes who are descended from the original Helghan Corporation. Let's not forget that the First Interstellar War, of which so much resentment and hatred led to the Second, was originally started by the Helghan Corporation, and that it was Earth that most decidedly ended it.

(If you want to fully catch yourself up on the backstory and lore of Killzone, please direct yourself to this post from the previous LP: http://lparchive.org/Killzone-2/Update%2016/)

In short, EarthGov goes nearly bankrupt trying to pay for the colonization of the galaxy to literally save the human species. Meanwhile, the Helghan Corporation, doing their best impression of Weyland-Yutani, succeed in profiting massively off of the work and suffering of human colonists. They go a step too far when they try to secede from Earth, threatening the livelihood of all of Earth's distant colonies (ships leaving Earth need to stop and refuel in the Alpha Centauri system before moving onto the outer colonies, and vice versa). EarthGov responds in a suitably Old Testament manner in order to ensure that the survival of humanity won't be left to the whim of a private corporation's profits. Afterwards, EarthGov tries to negotiate a peace, but the Helghan Administration's elites mastermind terrorist attacks killing many innocent civilians alongside Earth UCN and Vektan ISA forces, which leads to tighter restrictions on the Helghan populace. The Helghan elites eventually pool their money to buy some transport ships and ask to leave Vekta for planet Helghan. Earth's UCN and Vekta's ISA, now thoroughly sick of this poo poo throw up their hands in exasperation and let them all go, even going so far as to declare planet Helghan the sole property of the Helghan Administration and to recognize them as a sovereign nation, just to loving end all this mindless stupidity.

It's madness. The best part is that the Vektan ISA would've likely been sympathetic to the Helghan cause considering they're all from the same planet, but the Helghan Administration did their best to alienate them. They subverted their local ISA, they tried to co-opt them, then when they EarthGov's fleet was en route, they tried to expel them from the planet. In the aftermath of the conflict, they then killed their civilian populace in terrorist attacks. Through their own greed, the Helghan Administration fostered hatred and resentment in their ISA neighbours before they even left Vekta.

The most ironic part is that there's a legion of Killzone fans on the internet who can't seem to get that the Helghast are actually massive hypocrites and not actually victimized good guys. In Mercenary, Guerrilla left some intel that highlighted the hypocrisy of the Helghast--literally the first two pieces of intel found in the game. The first one, entitled "Why We Fight", is a piece of propaganda written by Visari's office. Maybe a line or two is devoted to the Helghan Administration's shady background, and it's phrased as them seeking "independence from the oppression of colonial rule". The terrorist attacks on civilians and ISA forces are not mentioned. Instead, it says that "[t]he ISA seized control of Vekta, and those settlers who were not imprisoned suffered further oppression." The rest of it talks about the modern history of their oppression, which was awful on the Vektan ISA's behalf and not justifiable, but it doesn't diminish the fact that Weyland-Yutani Heghan Corporation brought it on themselves.

The second bit of intel, a briefing from the Vektan Ministry of Information, notes that the Helghast portray themselves as victims of the ISA. This next part I'm going to quote verbatim: "This ignores the fact that they used their strategic position to exert a stranglehold on trade and the flow of resources throughout the Alpha Centauri system." Yes, I know this is from the Vektan ISA's perspective, and there is some biased wording here as well (it claims that the ISA intervened to secure peace and prosperity for all colonies, glossing over the massive role Earth's fleets played in the resolution of the conflict), but it matches the information given in Guerrilla's lore timeline. But seriously, what happened is EarthGov crushed Weyland-Yutani. If this were Aliens, we'd all be cheering--but Guerrilla hasn't made this explicit in their games, instead choosing to hide this information in the background and behind layers of in-game propaganda to muddy the issue, confusing players, and making the whole issue rather grey. Oh, in a last bit of bias, I love how the Vektan intel sums up the Helghast's situation: "Attempts at reconciliation were met by guerrilla warfare, terrorist acts claiming the lives of innocent civilians alongside ISA troops stationed on Vekta to maintain law and order. When the campaign of terror failed, those behind it chose to resettle on the mineral-rich planet of Helghan and were allowed to do so unimpeded. Any hardships they suffered as a result were entirely self-inflicted."

So in the end, remember this:

The Helghast are terrible.

The ISA are terrible.

EarthGov is terrible.

The Killzone universe is the darkest timeline and the average person is being ground to dust beneath the pressure of cruel military leaders, emotionless corporate entities, and space politics. Even the planets in this game want to destroy human life. In short:

Helghan on fire.

The space station above the space elevator.

Station interior.

The space station.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Eveything is terrible. Including the grammar.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This is a bump for the KZ3 thread since archiving is happening again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I hope it turns out the robots are just hyper-advanced sentry bots and the game takes place on a post-post-apocalyptic Vekta

• Locked thread