Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was the biggest war criminal of Killzone 2?
Rico
Sev
Visari
Blind Sally
Killzone 1
Crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Man, I finished watching the Killzone 2 LP a few weeks ago, so I'm pretty stoked to see this train drive through the orphanage and make it to the school for the blind!

We've just started, so there isn't much to talk about yet, but there's two things I've been wondering about lately. After working my way through the LPs, I'm wondering if the the gameplay and the storytelling of the Killzone series are in conflict. I mean, you guys have pulled out a lot of associations and themes from the art design and the cutscenes...but games 2 and 3 have you in a Call of Duty mode of run-run-run-shoot-shoot-shoot that keeps the player more focused on simply surviving rather than paying attention to the environment and story, and a lot of what you've guys have talked about regarding the backstory of the conflict comes from outside sources. I'm not entirely sure it could be remedied while keeping the gameplay the same; in this sort of game, diary-reading would just kill the tempo. I'm tempted to say something like Killzone's friendly rival Resistance might be a better fit; the player is a lone character behind enemy lines, so there's an excuse not to be in firefights all the time and to search nooks and crannies. (Speaking of which, Resistance: Fall of Man is something that needs a decent LP. There's weird stuff going on with the story in that one.)

The other thing I'm wondering is...why was Natko written out of the story after Killzone 2? As you guys pointed out, he's introduced as an rear end, but when the chips are down he's willing to rise to the occasion. Could they not get the voice actor (though I don't see why that would stop them), or was it something else?

Klaus88 posted:

And there's Helgan Stalin.

It's sort of weird, isn't it? We've got Admiral Orlock with the mustache, and we've got Jorhan Stahl with the name. I wonder if Guerilla is just pilfering the historical library for associations to totalitarianism, or if there's something more is going to be developed.

Finally...is there, like, an Ikea diagram or something to explain how to make hair do that? I know little enough about women's hairstyles, so whatever Hera's rocking is basically witchcraft to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Do you know what this game is like? It's like you watched Gavrilo Princip shoot Archduke Ferdinand and his wife, have started to see Europe descend into the bloodiest war in world history...and you've gotta go into work with the guy the next day, and he still doesn't understand what he did wrong. How do you act in a situation like that? There's no etiquette guide for that.

I know you guys are probably going to be talking a lot about the problems of Helghan worship in the Killzone fanbase in future videos, but I wanted to mention that there are ways that you could make a Helghan-centric game that doesn't descent into fascist power fantasy. I recently read Jaegir: Beasts Within, a spin-off series from 2000AD's Rogue Trooper comics that focuses on the Norts, the antagonists of the series who are, for all intents and purposes, '80s Brit sf-comic renditions of the Helghast. The comics follow a police agent who makes her living prosecuting enemies of the state and killing dangerous mutants, but the real energy of the comic comes from discovering the systemic dysfunctionality of her society (depicted as a sadistic, even more cynical rendition of the stagnation-era USSR in space), and how she and everyone around her deal with it. It doesn't glamorize the Norts, but it humanizes them, and you can see how people could fit together and get by in such a place. Something like that could be doable in the Killzone context: some sort of game that has you running head-on into the grievance-holding and post-corporate military-industrial fiefdom bullshit of Helghan society, with you as a character who's given the backstory of someone who feels themselves alienated from their society (even if they do subscribe to other aspects of it with little comment).

Also, I forgot to point this out, but in the prologue mission I'm pretty sure disguised!Rico is still carrying around his ISA light machine gun (in the middle of the biggest small arms plant on Helghan) and he even talks once or twice without trying to fake a Helghan accent. Man, you can just imagine it now; Rico's all happy because he gets to play Shadow Marshal while Sev's just thinking "Yeah, good job, Solid Snake, you're a regular Agent 47 jesus christ why didn't i leave you in a loving dumpster gently caress my life gently caress everything gently caress gently caress gently caress"

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Two things struck me in that little scene with the senate. First, let's get another look at these guys.

"Old men, running the world...a new age!"

To me, Jorhan Stahl, despite being well into his fifties, still comes off as the "young firebrand" with a head full of "dangerous ideas" when compared to these Nazi skeletors.

Secondly, his plan of promising the ISA troops "whatever" (cease fire, safe place to disembark), luring them all to one place, then killing them, is a little unsettling. While Orlock is looking at this situation as a battle to win, Stahl seems to be reading it in terms of an act of extermination. I might be reading way too much into it, but I'm getting the impression that Stahl is the sort of guy who thinks shooting down Red Cross planes is a sound tactical decision (and hilarious to watch as well).

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

malkav11 posted:

The premise of Shadow Fall is seriously that they resettled the Helghan survivors on the homeworld of the people they just fought a bloody and catastrophic war with? This is a plan that made sense to anyone at all? :psyduck:

It makes perfect sense if, like EarthGov, the only emotion you can feel anymore is spite.

• Locked thread