Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

The Lone Badger posted:

Foreign assassins!

It really was just a coincidence, but the timing of that death, right after the mysterious foreigner with a bargain left the kingdom, was pretty cool. It's like needful things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
drat Consumerists!

Will we be getting State of the World soon? I'm interested in knowing how things are doing beyond out little corner of America.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

mcclay posted:

drat Consumerists!

Will we be getting State of the World soon? I'm interested in knowing how things are doing beyond out little corner of America.

Yes I should think soon, probably around 2741 (75 years since the game began, it starts at 2666). There will probably be another short update tomorrow due to issues. If you check the first post you'll see I've been updating things, there will be a lineage chart there soon-ish.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Huhhh. I never knew you could use the brokers to get Old World Artifacts.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Bookmarking this thread so I can keep up.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Update #10: The Five Golden Domes of Des Moines

2727 - 2732

King Otis II shared little with his father besides his name. While Otis the First was infamous for his adultery and scheming, Otis the Second was a pious and learned man known for his kindness to the poor and his just and equitable rule. Frail in body, Otis II much preferred the library than the war council, though he was not unskilled in strategy or lacking in ambition.

His wife Evanora, was also known for her kindness and love of reading, although she lacked any real talent. Daughter of the former king and present uncle of the king of Platte, she carried with her a claim to the Pronghorn Crown, which Otis I had planned to pursue prior to his death.

In April of 2727 Otis II successfully passed a reform allowing him to revoke titles when the circumstances allowed it. Shortly thereafter Otis gathered his forces, along with those of his half-brother Andrew, Duke of Iowa, and traveled into western Iowa under the pretense of hunting down a band of Northmen raiders that had recently assaulted Council Bluffs.

While stopped over in Des Moines to resupply, Otis II talked with Duke Franklin III. He told the old duke that Des Moines and the golden palace were rightfully the seat of the king of Iowa, as it had been for hundreds of years prior to the overthrow of Franklin II. Otis II insisted that the county be turned over to him and made promises of future lands in the north in return.

Although his capital was surrounded by 2,800 Iowan troops, Franklin refused and sent out runners in the depths of night to call his vassals to arms.

The counts of Moingona raised their levies at Franklin's call, but with Otis II nearby they were assaulted quickly before any forces could be truly concentrated. At Blue Earth the first battle of the conflict saw a paltry 700-strong force from Rock County attacked by Otis II's forces.

Forces from the duke of Yankton reinforced Otis afterwards and he turned back to the south, assaulting a force half his owns size at Fort Dodge. If the war had continued on in this manner it would have ended very quickly.

But the lords of Iowa were concerned. After granting himself the right to revoke titles King Otis II had immediately marched an army to the hold of one of his subjects and demanded a county. The dukes and counts of the realm agreed that Des Moines was rightfully the kings, but were not comfortable with the growing power of the monarchy under Otis I and Otis II. Believing Otis distracted with his war for Des Moines, the lords of Driftless, Yankton, Chariton and some counts sent a letter demanding the return of some council privileges.

Otis II refused to be intimidated and by June of 2728 only the dukes of Coulee and Iowa were not at war with the king.

Suddenly finding himself at a numerical disadvantage, Otis II returned to Rock Island and, using money loaned by the King of Commancheria, hired the Red Tails mercenary company.

With the newly raised heavy cavalry in tow, Otis headed back west to try and bring a speedy end to the conflict with Franklin. At Pella and Humboldt he scored major victories against a recovered Moingonian army.

Recognizing his defeat in the face of these battles, Franklin III surrendered in December.

Otis pardoned Franklin in exchange for Des Moines and a promise that the duke would fully support his king against his rebellious vassals. Franklin agreed and the thousand men he contributed to the cause allowed Otis to end his contract with the Red Tails before his treasury ran out.

Franklin did not, however, receive his old position as marshal back. Otis' half-brother prince Andrew, for his loyalty, received that honor. Duke Franklin, it seems, did not mind this move so much, having a great fondness for the bastard son of Otis I.

In January of 2729 the main army of the rebels, led by the inept duke of Yankton and the more skilled count of Alton, met with Otis' force along the Big Sioux River outside of Sioux City on a flat, sandy finger of land between the Big Sioux and Missouri rivers. Otis II proved himself a capable commander in the battle, leading his cowboys in a daring charge across the open ground to strike down several dozen skirmishers who did not flee behind the rebel lines in time.

But the battle turned against Otis when the heavy infantry of his opponents forces were able to punch a hole through his light infantry and cause his right flank to rout.

Otis returned east once more to rest and gather more troops. In August if 2729 he got his revenge at the small settlement of Hinton, where the rebel army was sent fleeing across the narrow Floyd River after a crushing defeat.

Otis pursued and this time almost non survived fleeing across the Big Sioux, as a small detachment of cowboys awaited the rebels on the other side.

In 2730, with his enemies armies in the west laid waste, Otis turned east. There lay Alton, county of the leader of the revolt Count Roquat the Lecher. The castle of Roquat fell in June after only a short siege.

With his armies crushed, his holdings captured and the support of the dukes wavering, Roquat saw that his defeat was inevitable and offered to end the rebellion in exchange for amnesty. Otis agreed and the realm, having been at war since almost the very start of his reign, was at last at peace.

Otis moved his court to Des Moines, taking the golden-domed palace as his residence and adding it to his standard.

To avoid further conflicts with the count of Alton and to improve relations with the lords of the realm, Otis granted the duchy of Forgottonia to Gideon Gammton, count of La Moine.

With the plot to turn back the Huetherian reforms defeated, Otis II continued to reign in council power, removing the right of the council to veto banishments declared by the king in 2730.

But peace did not last long. Rumors of a Pope still ruling in Old Rome which had begun to appear during the reign of Otis I emboldened heretical preachers in Yankton. Cheyenne, a Sioux warrior who preached Sedevacanist heresies raised an army of peasants and displaced Lakotan nobles in 2731.

Cheyenne's army was large for a group of peasants, but nothing compared to the full forces of Iowa. The battle at Rock Rapids saw Cheyenne outnumbered 3 to 1 and likely would have been only a footnote in history, save for a stray crossbow bolt,

which pierced the lung of Otis II and brought his short reign to an end. Seeing their king struck down the Iowan forces quickly overwhelmed the heretics and exacted bloody revenge. Otis' half-brother and marshal Andrew led the Iowans to victory and, after caring for the wounded and sending Otis' body off to be interred in the family crypts in Rock Island, was hailed king by the troops.

On January 17th, 2732, Andrew was elected King of Iowa with the support of the duchies of Iowa and Moingona. The bastard son of a philandering king who imprisoned his mother until her death, Andrew I "the Bastard" was thrust into power thanks to a misfortune during battle. This was the official word from the crown,m at least, but rumors of the haunted clock of Huether grew ever louder following Otis II's short reign.

Next Time: At the Gates of Rome

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
:allears: When it comes time to switch dynasties, can we edit the save to send DEATHKLOK along to our new home?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I never white peace anymore after it changed so rebel leaders werent arrested.

They need to pay for their temerity...

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
The DEATHKLOK hungers!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When you wind that cursed watch, every second that you commit to it is one stripped off your own life.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Update #11: At the Gates of Rome

2732 - 2740

In the history of the Kingdom of Iowa few figures are more fascinating than Andrew the Bastard. Andrew's mother was Duchess Henrietta of Iowa, eldest daughter of Duke Eustace, the Greysnow prince who is often blamed for ending the long rule of the Greysnow kings through his plotting against his own brother, King Franklin II. Following the installation of King Poynter I the Greysnows saw their influence dwindle slowly and many blamed Eustace for it and this friction within the family extended to his successor, Henrietta, as Eustace never fathered a son.

Henrietta, while young and not yet duchess, had a short-lived dalliance with her cousin's husband, Otis I (although he was only Duke Otis of the Quad Cities and Coulee at that time). That his wife Betsy was of the Moingonan Greysnows and Henrietta was of the Iowan Greysnows likely only caused more conflict between the two branches of the dynasty. The relationship produced a son, whom Otis I acknowledged but did not legitimize (possibly out of fear that his wife might seek to have the child killed, as rumors of what happened to Otis' other lovers have long swirled around Betsy).

Little is known of Andrew's childhood. His existence isolated his mother from political alliances, as most lords feared a marriage to her would prove unfruitful should Otis legitimize his bastard son and thus make him heir to the duchy. There is nothing to suggest, as the playwright Walter Bessemer depicted in his play Andrew the First, that Henrietta hated her son or blamed him for her isolation both politically and with from her extended family. What is known is that, following the coronation of Otis II, he requested and received permission to retrieve his mother's body and bury her in the family crypt in Des Moines.

We also do not know Adrew's relationship with his father. It is likely that the two had little contact besides when Otis legitimized the boy in 2718 at the age of 17. That his mother and only parent for all of his childhood died in Otis I's dungeon (from deliberate mistreatment according to rumor) likely did not improve Andrew's view of his father. Otis II, however, seems to have had a good relationship with Andrew during his short reign. Andrew proved a loyal vassal and capable marshal in all three of the conflicts fought during Otis II's five years. Perhaps because his half-brother was so unlike his father and namesake: pious, just and loyal to his wife. But for all of his loyalty Andrew did not support Otis II's choice of his eldest daughter, Jezebel, as the next ruler of Iowa. Instead he proposed himself as the next king and was supported by Duke Franklin III of Moingona.

At the age of 30 Andrew was already called "the Bastard" by most in the realm. But despite these jibes Andrew was a very capable man, well-liked for his kind spirit, diligence and bravery in battle, a reputation he had earned at the Battle of Rock Rapids avenging his half-brother against the heretics. Andrew was not humble about his skills, a proud man who always believed himself destined for greater things and a temper when his plans failed to pan out.

His first wife, Lois, failed to give him any children in their 11 years of marriage and died shortly before Andrew's coronation. Of the relationship between the two, only fragments are known.

Much more is known of his second wife, Jezebel Huether. Firstborn daughter of his half-brother Otis and heir to her mother's claim on Platte, Jezebel was only 12 years old when Andrew became king. Shortly after being crowned he arranged the betrothal with her mother Evanora. Bessemer claimed that the act was only partly motivated by the girls claim on Platte, that Andrew did it partly because he had promised to watch over his brother's children should he fall in battle, a claim which has the ring of truth, but is completely without evidence.

Besides the Eagle Crown and his daughter's hand, Otis II also left his half-brother the "cursed" watch of the Huether household. Whether Andrew believed the stories or was merely pressured by the bishop of Des Moines is unknown, but on February 4th of 2732 a ceremony of exorcism was performed and holy water was sprinkled on the artifact before being worn by Andrew.

The first few month's of Andrew's rule was spent on consolidating his position. The Duke of Chariton was an especially powerful rival of Andrew's due to prior conflicts over the county of Ottumwa and Andrew spent several months shoring up his support with the other dukes.

His only full-blooded brother, the unacknowledged bastard Ashton was granted the county of Independence. The boy took up the dynastic name of Cedar later on, having been born and raised in Cedar Rapids.

The new duke of Driftless, a Greysnow boy who had inherited it from his Adams-Farwell mother, was granted lordship over the independent count of Decorah.

The Dukes of Yankton and Moingona were also given positions of prestige within the Iowan court.

Not all of Andrew's vassals were coddled, however. When an Ursuline Crusade against Otis I's friend the king of Northern Quebec blocked off access to the lucrative Quebec gold and diamond mines, the lord mayor of Davenport demanded that Andrew recognize his claim to Cedar Rapids in order to help him offset the loss of income. Andrew flew into a rage and threatened to cut the mayor's ears off if he ever showed his face in Des Moines again. Court recorders officially noted that Andrew convinced the mayor "diplomatically", but the diary of the mayor offer a different account.

The favors and gifts Andrew used to solidify his hold on power were not cheap and a major focus of his early rule was on increasing the kingdom's income. In 2733 he demanded that the Republic of Boonslick pay Iowa a yearly tax for use of the upper Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. The Lord Proprietor Clarence refused the demand outright, referring to an earlier agreement from 2596 which declared the rivers to be "free for all travelers and traders". Andrew responded by gathering his army.

Two armies were gathered along the border, one under the Bishop of SIlvis, Glen and another, larger one, under the king himself.

At Wardsville King Andrew won the day without any harm befalling him, despite taking the cursed watch into combat. The stress of running a war, however, does seem to have worn on the king, a troubling sign given his family's history of stress-related health issues.

2734 saw two events of note, the fall of the Republican capital of Jefferson City and the begining of construction on the Castle of Hiawatha in Cedar County by the brilliant engineer, Alexander Cornflour.

The war continued on as a slow series of sieges, as one-by-one the cities and castles of Boonslick fell without any army to relieve them.

While little of note happened during this period of the war, shocking news came swiftly from the south in April of 2735. Tycoon Karles "The Sword of the Omnissiah" Napton, lord of the great Kingdom of Ohio had led fifteen thousand Rust Cultists across the Mississippi and invaded the independent duke of Great River. The pagans had crossed the Mississippi and now stood at the very gates of Rome.

As the Catholic faithful faced the prospect of a Rust Cultist invasion the Ursuline's to the north celebrated a minor religious victory.

2735 also saw Jezebel Huether come of age. Beautiful and friendly, Jezebel was a woman well beloved by most who knew her, although she was also known to have a streak of cruelty, especially towards the palace staff. The marriage between her and Andrew had to wait until he could return from the war and during this time she engaged in behaviors with the Duke of Yankton which were more alike her grandfather than her father. When Andrew returned and married her he did so knowing full well of her actions but, finding that she was not pregnant and extracting a promise to never engage in such actions again, he forgave her.

In June of 2736 the Lord Proprietor surrendered, granting Andrew extensive taxation rights and a large sum of yearly tribute. At the palace in Des Moines he married Jezebel and it was not long before she began to show signs of pregnancy.

Andrew was ecstatic and doted on his wife constantly. The joy he felt likely did much to relive the stresses of war.

As did the task of furnishing his new castle at Hiawatha.

The next few years went by without incident. Hiawatha continued to grow and Jezebel gave birth to a number of daughters, including one whom Andrew named for his mother.

In 2739 a son and heir was born to Andrew, which he named for himself.

As important as this was, more important was what occurred with King Andrew's daughter Evanora in 2639. King Hank II of Commancheria approached Andrew with a betrothal proposal between Evanora and his own son, Prince Hank. Andrew agreed, but as Walter Bessemer put it "Only upon your solemn oath that when I call upon you, I shall see the riders of Commanche aside me, their swords and bows readied to throw back the pagan scourge. Upon my signal you shall not tarry, but mount your finest steed and ride to Rome, to reclaim the Grand River for Christendom". Although Andrew's words were likely not so grandiose, the king did agree to an alliance.

Andrew awaited the right moment, he did not need to wait long. In February of 2740 the Grand Chieftain of the Miskahannock Julian Glassmacher, rebelled against his lord over an increase in council power. By far the largest of the King of Ohio's vassals, the rift left Ohio vulnerable across its vast length.

It was the perfect time to strike.

Next Time: State of the World

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is awesome, keep it up. This mod hardly gets the attention it deserves, and your writing makes it quite enjoyable.

I've been bandying around the idea of doing an After The End LP myself (Prefecture of Salinas), for a while now,

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I wanted to do an Emperor run; getting rid of the figurehead emperor thing is such a great goal too.

I wish more was going on with Latin America though and that the two sides of America weren't so completely cut off.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I wish more was going on with Latin America though and that the two sides of America weren't so completely cut off.

What do you mean by this? We talking East and West, or Canada and Mexico? Because I'd suppose one can do the former given enough time and luck.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Nothing like a bit of good, old-fashioned, traditional marriage between a man and his half-brother's daughter :gonk:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As royal marriages go, it's still better than Charles II of Spain having at least 3 uncle-niece marriages in his line, at least? :shobon:

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Thrilled to see this is back.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Nothing like a bit of good, old-fashioned, traditional marriage between a man and his half-brother's daughter :gonk:

It's not quite Hapsburg.jpg, but this gives you an idea of what's going on. Ribbon on the bottom is a king or queen, ribbon on top is a duke or duchess. Brought to you by mspaint(C).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Haha, I missed that the mothers of both Otis II and Andrew were both Greysnows, this is a pretty incenstual relationship here. Classic CKII.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The history of royal lineages reveals what is at times a shocking level of resistance to genetic stagnation in our species. But things get a bit...unfortunate if you keep pushing your luck, and I don't recall to what degree CK emulates this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_Spain posted:

The physician who practiced his autopsy stated that his body "did not contain a single drop of blood; his heart was the size of a peppercorn; his lungs corroded; his intestines rotten and gangrenous; he had a single testicle, black as coal, and his head was full of water."[12]

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Update 12: The World in 2740 Anno Domini

On April 21st, 2660 AD the brash former mercenary commander Jacob Huether led a few dozen men in a charge against the Red Tower of Rock Island, where the remaining Northmen warriors had fled. Sword in hand Jacob cut his way through the pagans and up the stairs to the top of the tower, whereupon his soldiers saw him and hailed him count of Rock Island. Eighty years later his great-grandson Andrew I is king of Iowa.

This development can partly be blamed on the diminishing power of the old Greysnow dynasty. In 2429 the Catholics of Texas, Chicago, Louisane and the dukes of Missouri drove out the Americanists and Northmen pagans from the upper Grange. Pope Gloria II awarded Iowa to the Texan Greysnows and Platte to the Chicagoan Bresge's. Now the Bresge dynasty has been supplanted by the Strongroots and the Greysnows by first the Adams-Farwells and then the Huethers. But the Greysnow dynasty remains influential in Iowa, led by Duke Sheldon of Moingona, son of Franklin III.

Once one of the weakest ducal dynasties in Iowa, the Stills of Chariton are now one of the strongest. Viewing his new king as a rival, the deceitful Duke Batholomew I plots in silence against Andrew the Bastard.

The Gammton's of Forgottonia have lost a county to Chariton and continue to slide into irrelevance under Duke Gideon I.

The Antilocapra are a relatively new noble house in Iowa, having been granted the dukedom of Yankton by King Poynter I after he conquered it from the Lakotah. Duke Mishach is a capable steward and has served as such to King Otis I and both of his heirs.

The last Adams-Farwell holding, the duchy of Driftless, has passed out of their hands thanks to a lack of male heirs. Originally only the county of Dubuque, the holding is now the Duchy of Driftless, extending along the northern border of Iowa and made up mostly of conquered Northman lands. The Greysnow Duke Jacob is perhaps the most powerful vassal in Iowa, thanks in part to his marriage to the duchess of Coulee.

Duchess Ruth of Coulee was the eldest female heir of the old duke, who gained his dynastic title after being granted Coulee by Otis II for his loyal service.

South of Iowa lies the Papal State, where the infirm and befuddled Pope Righteous III faces an invasion from the east.

Between the Great Lakes and the Appalachian Mountains there lie three great Rustmann kingdoms. The least of these is Michigan, where the fire-armed Tycoon Orvil I Rostenhauer rules a fractured, but still powerful, kingdom upon the peninsula.

South of Michigan lies Ohio, which extends along the length of the Ohio River Valley and across the Mississippi. It is to be seen if the powerful King Karles can be felled by the combined forces of Iowa and Commancheria.

Further south, hugging the Appalachian Mountains, is the supreme dukedom of Transallegheny (later renamed the Kingdom of Appalachia), ruled over by Oligarch Dawn Strate.

Beyond the lands of the Rostmen lay the old kingdoms of Hudsonia and Deitscherei, mostly unchanged since 2660 except for the loss of territory to Ohio in the west.

The Americnaists, their lands all hugging the east coast, remain, surprisingly. Perhaps the Applachains and the Republic of Miami distract the COnfederacy and prevent it from swallowing Maryland, Delaware, New York and New Jersey whole.

In 2690 the Occultists of New England were briefly unified, only to be split by tribal politics. Today the small kingdoms of New England and Maine remain, beset by Crusading Ursulines.

The Maritimes, led by the Beaton dynasty founded by Caitlin Beaton, have seen little change in the past 80 years. An island of calm amidst the chaos of New England.

Their co-coreligionists in Ontario are much the same as well.

Further west along the Great Lakes coast, the holy city of Chicago has fallen to the pagan hordes, dealing a terrible blow to the Catholic Church in a time of crisis.

Now only the independent duchies of Illinois and Little Egypt hold back the pagan hordes from the Grangelands.

The Grangelands are not without their own pagan problems, however. Commancheria struggles with the Atomicist duke of Transpecos.

While the much diminished Kingdom of Platte deals with a growing threat from the Gnostic's of Colorado, who preach that the physical world is evil and to be transcended through meditation on Jesus. A heresy so strange as to be almost pagan.

Challenged, but undiminished, is the Holy Columbian Confederacy. Ancient and strong, the Confederacy must now contend with the Kingdom of Applachia and the merchant's of Miami.

Miami is an odd place, where two religions coexist. The Santeria worshipers of Cuba and the Americanists of the peninsula cohabitation and even share the rulership, with both Cuban and Floridians holding the office of Lord Proprietor at varying points. Whether or not this unity will be enough to oppose the Confederacy is to be seen.

Along the Gulf the Kingdom of Louisiane and the Republic of New Orleans also oppose the Confederacy, although Louisane has seen its northern border shrink inward in the face of Catholic invasions.

Also along the Gulf of Mexico is the mighty Kingdom of Rio Bravo-Rio Grande, ruled over by the Sagrado Corazon worshiping dos Santos dynasty.

To the west are the de Armas, who rule the mountian kingdom of Sierra Madre and worship the power of Atom.

In the late 2600's much of the northwest was conquered by the Kingdom of Washington, ruled by the native people of the coast who worshiped in the Xhúuyee K'iigaang religion. Since then the kingdom has fragmented and some of the Gaian's have regained control of their lands, but Washington is still a major player in the region.

The holy Mormon city of Salt Lake has fallen to the Gideonite heretics, who preach an end to polygamy and modest reform to the church.

Far to the north, however, the ancient Mormon religion continues in its original form in the Tribe of Golden Valley.

The Winkler dynasty who rules the Kingdom of the Valley have pledged their fealty to the Emperor of California once more, but the kings of Gran Fransisco and Jefferson retain their independence, but continue to pay lip service to the importance of the Emperor.

Socal under the Gables, however, has converted to Consumerism and now worship the Invisible Hand. Socal has expanded north, taking chunks of the Valley and Gran Fransisco and posing a threat to the once mighty Empire of California.

The lands further south are a patchwork of large and medium kingdoms, mostly unknown to the north in 2740.

Next Time: What Happy Fortune...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Clayren posted:

The Maritimes, led by the Beaton dynasty founded by Caitlin Beaton

lol no way

eta: Does it have abs. cognatic inheritance?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

lol no way

Kate Beaton ruling the Maritimes at game start is one of the many easter eggs inserted into the game. For example, the Brasge family rules Platte at the start (Ne Brasge, a name used by Native Americans living in that region, is likely where the name of the state of Nebraska comes from) and there's the Tribe of the Mouse with its capital in Orlando (they're still there, but have mostly been gobbled up by Miami).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Long live the Emperor of California and the clan Norton :allears:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

What do you mean by this? We talking East and West, or Canada and Mexico? Because I'd suppose one can do the former given enough time and luck.
East/West, as the canal and Northern passage are blocked. Just irritating if you're around the middle or far North.

GunnerJ posted:

lol no way

Its one of the things that always makes me a lil guilty when I inevitably invade the kingdom and take it as either the occultists, brethren or americanists.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Clayren posted:

Kate Beaton ruling the Maritimes at game start is one of the many easter eggs inserted into the game. For example, the Brasge family rules Platte at the start (Ne Brasge, a name used by Native Americans living in that region, is likely where the name of the state of Nebraska comes from) and there's the Tribe of the Mouse with its capital in Orlando (they're still there, but have mostly been gobbled up by Miami).

There's also one Elton Yudkow as the one-province Emperor of California in 2666, and two of the patrician leaders in New York City are Florell Laggard and Thom Wayne.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So what's Sowega that's in Savannah, Georgia, and Mississippi?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Update #13: What Happy Fortune!

2740 - 2749

In Andrew the First, Part 2, Act 2 Bessemer introduces the characters Walter, the chivalrous but naive knight, and Karl, the bawdy and irreverent mercenary captain, to act as humorous commentators on the goings-on of the play and to provide exposition where necessary. The two argue repeatedly as they follow their king from battlefield to battlefield, but they do agree on one thing. In act 4 the two enter a tavern, full of rowdy mercenaries and Walter raises a toast to their lord, Karl agrees and says:

What happy fortune,
For a sellsword and a dastard,
To earn his pay and portion,
In the reign of King Andrew the -

At which point Walter covers the mercenary's mouth before he can insult the king's good name. While quite humorous, this passage does hit upon a historical truth: the reign of King Andrew I saw more than its share of warfare.

In February, with the Grangeland Winter still holding firm in Iowa, Andrew began to gather his forces for the war with Ohio. The Knights of Columbus, only partly recovered from the failed crusade for Rio Grande, responded to Andrew's call with 1800 men, mostly heavily-armored knights and footmen.

By June the Iowan forces were gathered along the border with the Papal State, 5,000 men led by King Andrew himself and another 4,000 led by Grandmaster Henreyk of the knighthood.

In Great River these forces met up with those of Commancheria and began sieging the holdings of the pagan kingdom.

The conflict continued without any sight of a proper Ohioan response. In February of 2741 King Hank II, seeing no need for his forces in Great River, recalled his army to take care of a small rebellion, promising to return once the rebellious counts were put down.

Without the Cammanche army the war slowed down, but the capture of De Soto and Cape Girardeau in the Summer brought hope of a swift and generally bloodless victory.

But even these victories were not enough to quell fears of a pagan army on the doorstep of Rome. Discontent with a failed crusade and the occupation of the holy city of Chicago by Rostmann pagans gave trouble-making Sedevacantist preachers leeway to spread rumors of Old Rome, alive and well across the sea.

In 2742, perhaps feeling pressured to show strength, the papacy announced a second, ill-advised crusade for Rio Grande.

Andrew I, meanwhile, was able to retire from the front for a short while to witness the birth of his second son, Hezekiah.

During this time the Bishop Blaine of Indianola proposed the construction of a temple at Ankeny, on the eastern side of the Des Moines River. Eager to use a growing Christian fervor to further his own ends, Andrew agreed and pledged a large sum towards the construction.

The war for Great River saw sieges and small skirmishes, save for a single battle near the town of Malden. As a force of Ohioans attempted to cross the Mississippi near a horseshoe bend in its course the Iowan force, led by Andrew and tipped off by a spy in Purchase County, assaulted the crossing force. Although the Ohioans had more heavy infantry and cavalry the more maneuverable cowboys of Iowa were able to outrun the heavy knights who got bogged down in river mud. The Ohio skirmishers were routed, allowing the Iowan and Boonslicker skirmishers to rain down on the slowly moving Ohio army. By the time the heavy and light infantry of the Rostmann army met with the front-lines of Andrews army it was greatly reduced and dispirited. Soon the Ohioans routed and fled back across the river.

Ohio sued for peace shortly thereafter, granting all lands west of the Mississippi to Iowa.

It was a great victory for Andrew I, but it was spoiled by news that the Duke of Chariton, a longtime rival of Andrew's, had been attempting to gather support amongst his vassals to demand a number of law changes which would have greatly weakened the power of the crown.

Andrew, apparently tired of the duke's plotting, challenged his vassal to a duel.

The elder lord agreed, but his skill at arms paled in comparison to those of Andrew I. Bartholomew asked for mercy and received it, leaving dishonored and chastened in the eyes of the nobility of Iowa.

2744 saw Andrew I further reform the laws of Iowa, as he had done prior to the war with Ohio. In order to secure the vote of the duke of Driftless he promised to immediately begin prosecuting a war for the duke's claim on the Northmen of St. Anthony. In March, following the passage of a number of reforms, Andrew I made good on his promise.

Shortly after Andrew set out with 6,000 men his wife Jezebel gave birth to his third son, Othniel.

The conflict did not last long, two battles, one at Willow and another at Cannon saw the war end before 2745 was out.

During his reign Andrew did much to present himself as a pious defender of Christianity. He frequently visited and wrote to the Pope, who was happy to promote Andrew as a saintly man for his success against Ohio.

Pope What-God-Wills needed all the allies he could get at this time, as Sedevacantist heresies were rife throughout the Catholic realms. A particularly large rebellion by peasants upset at the news of another failed crusade erupted at Magnolia Hollow in 2746.

Although numbering several thousand, these lightly armed and untrained peasants proved no match for the heavy infantry and cowboys of Iowa.

As tales of Andrew's defeat of the mighty realm of Ohio spread they began to attract adventurers and merchants from all over to see his kingdom and court. A Consumerist, named Russel, arrived from Socal in March of 2747, seeking an audience with Andrew. Andrew allowed the man into his court, but was called away before he could meet with the merchant.

No sooner had Andrew left Magnolia Hollow than another group of misinformed peasants rose up under the command of a Sedevacantist priest. The source of these heretics was the duchy of Led Belt, where a crooked priest served as regent for Duke Stirling I Siltland and sent out his followers to stir up trouble and heresy throughout the Missourilands.

Never one to treat the symptom rather than the disease, Andrew gathered a force in May of 2747 and declared war for the duchy of Led Belt.

The Sedevacantist movement was popular in large part because the region was very unstable during this time. The sacking of Chicago by Rostmen, the invasion by Ohio, rumors of a fleet of strange black ships in California, all fed into a feeling that God was angry at humankind, perhaps for following the wrong Pope.

Andrew I took advantage of this, using the threat of heresy and pagans to expand into the Missourilands without upsetting the Pope.

He also used it as an excuse back in Iowa to expand the powers of the crown, arguing that he could not wait for the bickering council members to agree before declaring war in defense of the faith and the faithful. In 2749, following a successful conclusion of his war for the Led Belt, Andrew I removed the council's right to vote on declarations of war.

Andrew's victories, along with a number of gifts, were enough to convince the countess of Bluffwoods to swear fealty to him in August of 2749.

In a ceremony in New Rome, overseen by the Pope, Andrew was crowned King of Missouri shortly thereafter.

In exchange for ending all previously imposed fees and tributes and a promise to transfer the vassalage of Bluffwoods to him, the Lord Proprietor of Boonslick immediately pledged his loyalty to Andrew I, King of Iowa and Missouri.

Next Time: The Last Stand of the Lords of Iowa...

Clayren fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 19, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That demon is back. Be sure he pays for his crimes this time.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Huhhhh. Never had that "Rumors of Rome" event, but haven't really played catholics in the mod.

And it seems really odd how often crusades fail in the mod. I thought there were penalties for not joining? And how did you get that event for building the barony?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Oh my god, Japanese Black Ships landing in California to claim it for the Emperor is a riot.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The Black Ships? Demon faces (masks?)? Is this SunsetRising Sun Invasion?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's even better if you're actually playing the Emperor of Cali because you can then respond to the invaders when they first start nosing about.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
The Japanese are invading California while the Californians are struggling against the Consumerists? :getin:

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sinner Sandwich posted:

The Japanese are invading California while the Californians are struggling against the Consumerists? :getin:

They might even have a chance for once.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Update #14: The Last Stand of the Lords of Iowa

2749 - 2757

King Andrew the First's coronation as King of Missouri was a break from tradition in many ways. The lords of Iowa had seen the conquest of Great River and Lead Belt as being very much in line with the Adams-Farwell conquest of Yankton: an act that added additional territory to Iowa, but kept the number of voting dukes the same. By establishing a wholly new kingdom Andrew was creating a new and separate power-base for the Huether dynasty outside of the influence of the duchies of Chariton, Iowa, Driftless and Moingona. This, in addition to continuing reform efforts by Andrew and rumors that he was planning on dissolving councilor voting privileges entirely , led the lords of Iowa to begin plotting against their liege.

On December 2nd, only 15 months after the formation of the Kingdom of Missouri, a large coalition of dukes and counts from Iowa delivered a demand that Andrew roll back a number of reforms and begin making plans to integrate Missouri into the Kingdom of Iowa. Andrew I refused.

Of Andrew's Iowan vassals, only the Duke of Driftless stayed loyal to the crown. In prior years this would have been disastrous, but the realm had grown rapidly since the mid-2600's and besides Missouri Andrew was able to call upon the forces of Forgottonia, Yankton, Coulee, the Quad Cities and Driftless.

Most importantly at the start of the conflict, Andrew held Des Moines, which sat right in the heart of rebel territory. The sizable Des Moines levy was immediately raised and sent out to assault smaller rebel armies before they could link up and form a consolidated force.

The Battle of Waterloo is an example of one of these small battles that kept the rebel forces scattered while reinforcements from the east and south arrived.

By 2751 Andrew's full army had assembled and what forces of the rebellion that had been able to evade him had linked up and began to head south to assault Missouri. Before these forces were able to get far, however, Andrew's own army caught it near Corning at Lake Icaria. Leading a large force of cowboys and bow cavalry, Andrew cut quite an impressive figure and rallied his infantry when a group of rebel heavy infantry appeared at their flank.

The remnants of the rebel army quickly retreated south, but Andrew again caught up with them near Hannibal in August as they attempted to cross the Mississippi. Rather than immediately assault the rebels, Andrew sent his cavalry in a wide circle to approach from the south. Seeing more than two thousand cavalry approaching, the rebel force attempted to flee to the east, but found their path blocked by Andrew's infantry. The rebel force was pushed north, into a boggy lowlands formed where the Bay de Charles flows into the Mississippi. In the thick mud the heavy infantry of the rebel force were slow and easily defeated.

With the rebel army taken care of, Andrew spent 2752 assaulting the holdings of the rebellion's leader, Duke Sheldon Greysnow of Moingona.

Duke Sheldon returned in October to relieve his holdings, but was defeated handily and his third son was captured in the battle.

Rather than see his son languish in prison for a hopeless cause, Duke Sheldon chose to surrender in November of 2752. His son, Lewis, was released from the Des Moines dungeon and his cell was given to Sheldon.

With all of his opponents in the realm cowed and using the rebellion itself as a pretext, Andrew I revoked all council voting rights in 2754, reverting the council to a purely advisory role and making the monarch the absolute authority in Iowa. It was the culmination of generations of Huether reforms and greatly weakened ducal authority both in Iowa and Missouri.

Andrew's vassals stayed quiet following the war. Conflicts with Sedevacantist heretics continued, but these were few and easily put down.

2755 saw Andrew's heir, Andrew II, come of age. A just and ambitious man raised amongst the war camps of his father's many conflicts, Andrew II was famous for his cleverness and handsomeness.

With an eye towards further expansion into the south, Andrew II was married to Genese Boudinot, daughter of the former duke of Sequoyah in the Ozarks.

The years between the end of the Iowan revolt and 2755 are mostly unremarkable. A number of philosophers visit Andrew from Chicago and Saint Louis to discuss some matters (what these might be are missing from the historical record) and the Socal merchant who had stayed in Des Moines for awhile left after the king refused to sell his watch.

In April 2755, however, news comes from the west that the king of Platte lays infirm following a blow to the head in the midst of combat. His brother acts as regent, but the realm is, in truth, without a ruler. Following the death of his father's wife and his wife's mother, Andrew's wife Jezebel had inherited a claim to the throne of Platte, which Andrew I quickly pressed, arguing that Platte needed a healthy ruler in charge.

A force, numbering 8,888 according to the historian Ames Cedar, was gathered by Andrew and marched across the Missouri, taking Omaha in November.

Battles at Nobrara and Valentine saw the Platte army unable to match that of Iowa-Missouri and the war ended in 2756.

The installment of Queen Jezebel I as Queen of Platte secured Andrews western border and secured his position as the foremost lord in Catholic Christendom. In honor of his victory and in hopes of endearing himself to those Iowan vassals still sore about their loss in the previous war, Andrew released Duke Sheldon I from prison and threw a grand tournament and rodeo in Des Moines.

As was tradition a tremendous cow, sculpted from butter, was built in the city square and thousands of horses, cattle and buffalo were brought in from Texas and Platte for daring cowboys and knights to rope and ride in the arena built outside of the city.

For two months the lords of Iowa and Missouri toasted King Edward the Ever-Victorious, and celebrated with him the birth of his new grandson.

The final event of the celebration was the crowning of Andrew II as Duke Andrew of Iowa. The handover of the Duchy of Iowa in 2757 could not have been any more different than it had been in 2723. In 2723 Andrew the First, one of King Otis the First's many bastards, had inherited the duchy from his imprisoned mother following her death from mal-nourishment and disease. Andrew was expected only to keep the Greysnow family out of power as his half-brother Otis II inherited the throne of Iowa. At age 56, King Andrew I, known as Andrew the Great, granted Iowa to his son Andrew II in order to give his son experience ruling in preparation for his own lordship of Iowa and Missouri in the future. With the line of succession secured through his son Andrew II and his grandson Andrew III, the great warrior prepared to hang up his sword for good and enjoy whatever time he had left.

After all, the Northmen had begun to see the light of Christ (most notably the Duke of Calumet) and even the mighty Rio Bravo, against which so many Crusades had faltered, had splintered recently. What was left for King Andrew the First to do on this Earth?

Next Time: The Last Crusade

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Well, that certainly is a king for the history books alright. Going to go for the empire?

NewMars fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 19, 2016

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

NewMars posted:

Well, that certainly is a king for the history books alright. Going to go for the empire?

Yes, I am actually quite close, probably only 4 updates to go or so. And then it'll be up to a vote, likely candidates so far are: a duke in the rapidly expanding Consumerist kingdom of Socal, an independent duchess in one of the few remaining matriarchal Gaianist realms, the besieged and shrinking Californian Empire or the Japanese colonial government.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Yudkows are probably the best bet; the Japanese sadly don't really have a lot of content when I last checked them, though the Consumerists are also rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Preemptive vote for the last matriarch.

• Locked thread