Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

What is Sea of Thieves?

Sea of Thieves is a Sandbox pirate game where you man a ship with a crew of people in search of treasure. Everything on the ship has to be operated by someone, and the game requires quite a bit of cooperation. Very little is currently known about the game currently, although they did release some gameplay footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQlsN6EO2oU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc-7GHh5iP8

So this is like a Sandbox MMO right
No, no, no, of course not; that term doesn't test well with the casual audience. Its a Massive shared world co-op Multiplayer game that you play Online. :frogon:

When can I play this

They are shooting for early next year with a beta sometime before that.

Game looks like it could be fun, if nothing more than to mess around with for a little while. I am un-ironicly excited for this game.

How do I play with goons?
goons have a discord now:
https://discord.gg/wtUFUE5

Doggir fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Looks like Worlds Adrift but with more survival poo poo/on land gameplay. Seems interesting.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
I wants this now. Pirates and tall ships are my favorite things ever.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Uziduke posted:

I too would like to get fake drunk on a pirate ship

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Uziduke posted:

World's Adrift will come sooner and that sounds like your thing.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hasn't this been tried with like three other games that have all died

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Robo Reagan posted:

More or less.

I think the last real pirate MMO was Pirates of the Burning Sea? Still technically alive and free to play, but with only 3 devs to support it.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

All they have to do is make this a 3d puzzle pirates and I'm sold.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

More or less.

I think the last real pirate MMO was Pirates of the Burning Sea? Still technically alive and free to play, but with only 3 devs to support it.

That game was fun. Shame they didn't go the Star Wars Galaxies route with it though. Imagine bounty hunting.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I look forward to the inevitable goon drama when there is a full on riot over who gets to drive the big boat and who gets stuck with some boring role.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah, but this one comes equipped with Microsoft's deep pockets; they'd never just cancel a game and let the studio go under..
https://youtu.be/2v9rtc2a0rQ

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The physics with the sinking look neat and I liked pirates of the burning sea during their beta even though the game itself sunk fast.

What I don't understand with this game is how exactly does it work regarding who gets a ship? where do the ships come from, how does someone get to be in charge of one if you need a bunch of people to get it running.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Doggir posted:

Yeah, but this one comes equipped with Microsoft's deep pockets; they'd never just cancel a game and let the studio go under..
https://youtu.be/2v9rtc2a0rQ

Cancel Fable 4 which was supposed to be set in steampunk Britain in favor of an $75 million dollar asymmetrical competitive multiplayer game that no one wanted. What could possibly go wrong?

Good lord am I glad that Xbox's old leadership is gone. What the gently caress were they thinking?

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Cancel Fable 4 which was supposed to be set in steampunk Britain in favor of an $75 million dollar asymmetrical competitive multiplayer game that no one wanted. What could possibly go wrong?

Good lord am I glad that Xbox's old leadership is gone. What the gently caress were they thinking?

Haha, poor lionhead they where a great studio. I can only hope they come back under a new name with legally distinct Black and White successor; I would let them steal all my money if they Kickstarted that

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What I don't understand with this game is how exactly does it work regarding who gets a ship? where do the ships come from, how does someone get to be in charge of one if you need a bunch of people to get it running.

All they've shown so far is exploration and ship combat. If I had to guess based on what they've said is you make ships and once they sink they are gone for good, but that might just be wishful thinking.

As for who is in charge they've stated everything is left up to the players to figure out.

https://youtu.be/VNo-3QCwRtw
This interview is the best bit of info you can get that I've found; the dev doesn't seem to want to say a whole lot, but if you read between the lines you can catch a bit of information about their philosophy for the game at least.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I can't support this game because the thread wasn't started by Alexander DeLarge.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

forge posted:

I can't support this game because the thread wasn't started by Alexander DeLarge.

:same:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

forge posted:

I, too, stopped reading at "Doggir".

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Would be kinda funny if you could fish out the crew of a ship you sunk and get them to join your crew, assuming they don't immediately try to sabotage you out of spite as soon as they got on your ship.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Would be kinda funny if you could fish out the crew of a ship you sunk and get them to join your crew, assuming they don't immediately try to sabotage you out of spite as soon as they got on your ship.

Toss them in brig get to shark infested waters, have them walk the plank.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
I hope you can board other ships and fight to take control of them.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Sounds like life back in those days.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Freakazoid_ posted:

There's an age of sail game in early access right now called Naval Action. It's pretty PotBS-ish. There was a goon guild but most people seem to be waiting for a server wipe.

Besides being tallships this games seems pretty different from PotBS or Naval Action though.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

Pavlov posted:

There's an age of sail game in early access right now called Naval Action. It's pretty PotBS-ish. There was a goon guild but most people seem to be waiting for a server wipe.

Besides being tallships this games seems pretty different from PotBS or Naval Action though.

Navel action is only ships, and raiding and treasure finding is a big part of being a pirate. Also having to a real crew controlling the ship seams real fun. I need to practice my Barbosa lines from Pirates of the Caribbean.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm really interested in seeing actual gameplay because they've been focusing heavily on the ships, but they seem like they're incredibly destructive and I can't see them being obtained easily... I'd imagine the vast majority of content is on land gathering/crafting/treasure hunting.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Uziduke posted:

Navel action is only ships, and raiding and treasure finding is a big part of being a pirate. Also having to a real crew controlling the ship seams real fun. I need to practice my Barbosa lines from Pirates of the Caribbean.

You forgot getting drunk enough to fall of your boat, that too is an important part of being a pirate.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'm really interested in seeing actual gameplay because they've been focusing heavily on the ships, but they seem like they're incredibly destructive and I can't see them being obtained easily... I'd imagine the vast majority of content is on land gathering/crafting/treasure hunting.

They talked about ship battles being more of a rarity and not being sure if they are friendly or not and reputation of players blah blah. My guess is you get some sort of ship that man's a small crew for free to hunt down treasure.

I hope that when your non generic ship sinks it's gone making ship battles mean something; they do keep referencing back to games like Rust/DayZ.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah I am guessing there is some lovely free ship. It would be pretty boring if island hopping wasn't the norm and sitting on some super continent grinding it out and pooping on other grinders was.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Yeah I am guessing there is some lovely free ship. It would be pretty boring if island hopping wasn't the norm and sitting on some super continent grinding it out and pooping on other grinders was.

Nah, I really hope it just ends up being another WoW clone but like way grindier.. Have the ship PvP they showed us be an instanced BG.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There are a lot of questions to be asked on how this game would function.

Like, how many people can you have on one ship?

If one group goes treasure hunting on a island and anchored their ship, can you just have half your crew steal their ship in a piratey way or is it going to be video gamey and the captain player has the only keys to start his ship?

If you can steal it, are they basically marooned until the next ship picks them up or will they just fast travel back to Pirate Hub 1?

Are treasure and goods going to be physical objects you need to put into a ships hold or does everyone have really big pockets?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I wanna form fuckin' navy seal frogman squads like in Black Sails

also put this in the OP, thread theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLotX3HE-4c

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

I wanna form fuckin' navy seal frogman squads like in Black Sails

also put this in the OP, thread theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLotX3HE-4c

That show any good?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It starts off kind of slow, takes a bit to find its sea-legs so to speak, but it's not awful. It gets really good quickly and it's continuously gotten better as more plots are developed, more historical pirates are roped in, it starts edging the characters towards what we know about them from Treasure Island (black sails being a prequel and all) and the budget growing

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

It starts off kind of slow, takes a bit to find its sea-legs so to speak, but it's not awful. It gets really good quickly and it's continuously gotten better as more plots are developed, more historical pirates are roped in, it starts edging the characters towards what we know about them from Treasure Island (black sails being a prequel and all) and the budget growing

I might have to check it out, hold me over till Sea of Thieves beta.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

Black sails is great. I can't wait till next Jan when season 4 hits. The First season about 50% or more of the show is filmed in a brothel.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yea I'd like to see some realistic crate and chest carrying, the chance to get marooned, the ability to sink ships by standing too many people on them. Basic heave ho mechanics

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

I doubt they will let you get marooned, they seem to want it to be casual friendly.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Doggir posted:

I doubt they will let you get marooned, they seem to want it to be casual friendly.

Why does getting marooned have to be a bad thing? They could make it fun

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Doggir posted:

Casuals can be just as good at being marooned. We just have less time to be marooned than you toxic elitist no-life marooners :argh:

This game looks ace. I hope the MMOish elements actual pan out rather than it end up a lobby shooter / cannonballfirer.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

And +1 for Black Sails. I love that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Kettlepip posted:

Casuals can be just as good at being marooned. We just have less time to be marooned than you toxic elitist no-life marooners :argh:

This game looks ace. I hope the MMOish elements actual pan out rather than it end up a lobby shooter / cannonballfirer.

Filthy casual!! Being marooned has to leave you on that island for months until another ship comes by and hope they notice you!!

And how they talk about the game if I had to guess it will have matchmaking going on in the background to limit how many ships are in one instance of the game. Especially since they keep talking about player encounters being rare.

• Locked thread