Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Popete posted:

Yeah Windows 10 is fine I don't care about having an OS argument. It's the fact the Micrsoft is terrible about promoting their games and end up artificially restricting the player base on PC by making it Win 10 only and use their lovely app store. This game will be dead on PC in a month from release and it's entirely Microsofts fault. I'm bitter because I want to play it but no one I know is getting it.

Yeah it couldn't possibly be because of performance improvements from windows 10 and not wanting to deal with the hassle of keeping it working on several different versions of windows because spergs can't stand new things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Yeah it couldn't possibly be because of performance improvements from windows 10 and not wanting to deal with the hassle of keeping it working on several different versions of windows because spergs can't stand new things

You truly think it would be hard to get this game to run on Windows 7?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
This just sold me on your weird, pirate themed walking simulator

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/874077866157146112

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Popete posted:

I think back patching directx is more trouble than its worth

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Donnerberg posted:

This just sold me on your weird, pirate themed walking simulator

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/874077866157146112

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Popete posted:

Much much much harder than getting you to just upgrade already. Like, they gave out windows 10 upgrades for free for a very good reason, dude.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Much much much harder than getting you to just upgrade already. Like, they gave out windows 10 upgrades for free for a very good reason, dude.

I have Windows 10, I'm not against Windows or anything I just think it's another hamfisted way for Microsoft to try to get people to upgrade to 10 and use their bad Games for Windows or whatever they call it now ecosystem. It artificially limits who is going to be playing this on PC.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

All the E3 footage of this game coming out looks amazing. Can't wait to play.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Popete posted:

I have Windows 10, I'm not against Windows or anything I just think it's another hamfisted way for Microsoft to try to get people to upgrade to 10 and use their bad Games for Windows or whatever they call it now ecosystem. It artificially limits who is going to be playing this on PC.

They are artificially limiting you to using windows 10 so that developers don't have to do a shitload more work so a grog hipster like you can keep using your old operating system.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

They are artificially limiting you to using windows 10 so that developers don't have to do a shitload more work so a grog hipster like you can keep using your old operating system.

Again I have Windows 10, I don't think you're understanding this. I don't care about the Windows 10/7 argument you're just attacking a straw man.

It's about them continueing to use their dumb Windows app storefront instead of Steam so by default it's already going to limit the people who will buy this since many won't ever even notice it pop up. On top of that the Windows 10 only is a poor excuse to push upgrades because getting this to run on 7 is likely almost not extra work for the devs. Do you ever hear about other developers complaining that it's too much work to support Windows 7 and only do a Windows 10 release? No.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Popete posted:

Again I have Windows 10, I don't think you're understanding this. I don't care about the Windows 10/7 argument you're just attacking a straw man.

It's about them continueing to use their dumb Windows app storefront instead of Steam so by default it's already going to limit the people who will buy this since many won't ever even notice it pop up. On top of that the Windows 10 only is a poor excuse to push upgrades because getting this to run on 7 is likely almost not extra work for the devs. Do you ever hear about other developers complaining that it's too much work to support Windows 7 and only do a Windows 10 release? No.

If it's not about windows 10 why do you keep bringing up 7 instead of "put it on steam"

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Sea of Thieves: Bill Gates'sss revenge

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

If it's not about windows 10 why do you keep bringing up 7 instead of "put it on steam"

Why can't it be both? It should be on Steam and it should be Windows 7 compatible just like every other game on the planet that isn't developed by Microsoft for PC. But again it's not because of "too much effort" it's Microsoft's ham fisted way of forcing people into their app store ecosystem and to move over to Windows 10. But in reality no one (or very few) is going to do that just to play Sea of Thieves and I really wish Microsoft would just give up on that and release their games like any other normal developer. Instead this game will have a limited player base on PC and likely die out in a month.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Popete posted:

Why can't it be both? It should be on Steam and it should be Windows 7 compatible just like every other game on the planet that isn't developed by Microsoft for PC. But again it's not because of "too much effort" it's Microsoft's ham fisted way of forcing people into their app store ecosystem and to move over to Windows 10. But in reality no one (or very few) is going to do that just to play Sea of Thieves and I really wish Microsoft would just give up on that and release their games like any other normal developer. Instead this game will have a limited player base on PC and likely die out in a month.

:stare:

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

You sir, Popete, have really strong feeling about an outdated operating system that you can upgrade for free.

Edit: Windows 7 launched in 2009. It's time to let go and move on. Lie about being disabled and get it for free. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 21, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how many times I have to say that I already have Windows 10 and I really don't care about arguing about 7 vs 10 it doesn't matter to me.

My point is primarily that Microsoft continues to restrict their games market by trying to force people into their app eco system and it sucks. It's more a complaint that it should be on Steam, but I was harping on Windows 7 because acting like it's a huge pain for a Microsoft published game to support Win 7 compatibility is a really bad excuse when literally every other game on the market works just fine in 7 and 10.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Popete posted:

I don't know how many times I have to say that I already have Windows 10 and I really don't care about arguing about 7 vs 10 it doesn't matter to me.

:thunk:

Popete posted:

Popete posted:

Popete posted:

The Windows 10 requirement is just stupid, I have Win 10 but no one is going to upgrade to Windows 10 just to play Sea of Thieves so they're limiting themselves over some stupid policy the highers up want enforced.

I'm more annoyed that this will only be available on the Windows store or whatever and not Steam, after the poo poo show that was Games for Windows I never want to use a Windows game management client again. No one uses that poo poo so it's just another restriction that self limits whose is going to get this game.

I mean, maybe if you stopped bringing up windows 10/7 and just talked about distribution platforms you'd be right in saying I'm strawmanning you, buuuuuuut...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:thunk:

I mean, maybe if you stopped bringing up windows 10/7 and just talked about distribution platforms you'd be right in saying I'm strawmanning you, buuuuuuut...

Right, it ties into what I'm saying. Microsoft has been trying to rope people into their app ecosystem and force upgrades via Vidya Games for a long time. Does no one remember Games for Windows and how lovely that was? Windows 7 like it or not is still a large share of the OS marketplace and the only reason to limit it to 10 is to get those people over. Which sure ok whatever, I guess at this point they can do that but the game will have a smaller market because of it.

All of this is my way of saying I want to play this game and I don't have an Xbox 1 and I'm pretty sure this game isn't gonna have a big following on PC and it will entirely be Microsofts faults for limiting themselves in the name of pulling people into their ecosystem.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Popete posted:

Right, it ties into what I'm saying. Microsoft has been trying to rope people into their app ecosystem and force upgrades via Vidya Games for a long time. Does no one remember Games for Windows and how lovely that was? Windows 7 like it or not is still a large share of the OS marketplace and the only reason to limit it to 10 is to get those people over. Which sure ok whatever, I guess at this point they can do that but the game will have a smaller market because of it.

All of this is my way of saying I want to play this game and I don't have an Xbox 1 and I'm pretty sure this game isn't gonna have a big following on PC and it will entirely be Microsofts faults for limiting themselves in the name of pulling people into their ecosystem.

New thread title: "Sea of Thieves: Ecosystem!"

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 21, 2017

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

I'm really trying to give a gently caress about what's being discussed here but I just want to play this game.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Hi Mr Popete. Could I suggest you investigate what windows operating systems have directX 12 on them, what the xbone has running on it, compare the two and then come to a conclusion why microsoft first party/exclusive xbone games require windows 10. It might surprise you!

Edit: Also a MP only sandbox pirate sim that can't be played solo was always going to die in the rear end almost instantly so getting hissy about the pc market being split is kinda lol.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
hey um while I too want to play this game I dropped in to say you should upgrade your OS if you like your personal info to stay safe and all

all those viruses you see everyone getting owned by in the news?

hint

they didn't upgrade their os and keep it patched hth

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I definitely plant to upgrade my OS when Windows 11 comes out

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I change OS when I change PCs, except if the newest OS is less than a year old when I'm getting the PC, because I don't want to deal with bugs and game crashes. Sorry, Windows 10, you had bad timing. See you in three years.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Byolante posted:

Hi Mr Popete. Could I suggest you investigate what windows operating systems have directX 12 on them, what the xbone has running on it, compare the two and then come to a conclusion why microsoft first party/exclusive xbone games require windows 10. It might surprise you!

Edit: Also a MP only sandbox pirate sim that can't be played solo was always going to die in the rear end almost instantly so getting hissy about the pc market being split is kinda lol.

I'm not a techman, why is this directX 12 thing win10 only?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

I'm not a techman, why is this directX 12 thing win10 only?

I assume he was referring to the fact that Xbox is effectively running Windows 10 on it, so it means all Microsoft games are more or less fully cross-compatible with Windows 10 (almost) out of the box. That's how "Xbox Play Anywhere" came about, since it costs them almost nothing to have a game run on Xbox AND Windows 10, when they may have only ever meant to develop stuff for Xbox. Basically, Windows 10 is going to get a fuckload more 'console-exclusive' games (in theory), since they've made it extremely easy for an Xbox dev to sell their game on Windows 10 going forward.

Pryce fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 30, 2017

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pryce posted:

I assume he was referring to the fact that Xbox is effectively running Windows 10 on it, so it means all Microsoft games are more or less fully cross-compatible with Windows 10 (almost) out of the box. That's how "Xbox Play Anywhere" came about, since it costs them almost nothing to have a game run on Xbox AND Windows 10, when they may have only ever meant to develop stuff for Xbox. Basically, Windows 10 is going to get a fuckload more 'console-exclusive' games (in theory), since they've made it extremely easy for an Xbox dev to sell their game on Windows 10 going forward.

Yeah this essentially. Win7 and an Xbone are very different beasts in terms of APIs and what have you whereas Xbone and Win10 are similar enough that a port is trivial. A good example of how markedly different and behind current events Win7 is would be that you need to load a driver to be able to use a xbox 360 controller, win10 comes with the xbox dash built in.

That comes up when you press the xbox button on win 10

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Except this game is using the unreal engine and they could port it to PS4 by clicking a checkbox if they wanted to.

lol APIs.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

When can I play this game? I just signed up for early access, did that already happen?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

M2tt posted:

Except this game is using the unreal engine and they could port it to PS4 by clicking a checkbox if they wanted to.

lol APIs.

Sure, but that's not what this conversation is about. We're arguing about why these are Windows 10 exclusive games (instead of supporting previous Windows version).

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pryce posted:

Sure, but that's not what this conversation is about. We're arguing about why these are Windows 10 exclusive games (instead of supporting previous Windows version).

Except it is because it's a business decision by Microsoft, all these technical excuses are white knighting nonsense.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Pryce posted:

Byolante posted:

Yeah this essentially. Win7 and an Xbone are very different beasts in terms of APIs and what have you whereas Xbone and Win10 are similar enough that a port is trivial. A good example of how markedly different and behind current events Win7 is would be that you need to load a driver to be able to use a xbox 360 controller, win10 comes with the xbox dash built in.

That comes up when you press the xbox button on win 10

Thanks for the explanations!

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
I really hope this game isn't complete poo poo. I haven't kept up with it outside of the general announcement, but it looked to be as if it could be quite fun.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah I would really love for this game to be good.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Senor Dog posted:

Thanks for the explanations!

Sadly it will still be a portfest with badly optimised controls and generally poor graphics in comparison with made for PC only games.

There are only so many "hacks" you can do(higher res textures, fake AA such as FXAA, et cetera)

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I like pirates

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Game looks cool but not upgrading to Win 10 for this.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

hayden. posted:

Game looks cool but not upgrading to Win 10 for this.

Cool story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
You know that free OS upgrade that allows me to play a lot more games on my PC and significantly improves the performance of all the other games? Yeah gently caress that. My potential ability to make useless posts about my old and poo poo OS that no one has cared about since 2015 far outweighs me actually having fun gaming.

• Locked thread