Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cnut
May 3, 2016

what about og hous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Video game nerds froth at the mouth for hours on how video games are art. Ebert deserves canonization for for this alone.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Mr. Ebert gave a thumbs up to The Beast of Yucca Flats.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Death to Smoochy is incredible comedy. gently caress that bespectacled lump what's he even doing these days?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
He also sucked off Siskel on a dare.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

From his review of Atlas Shrugged:

"There is also a love scene, which is shown not merely from the waist up but from the ears up. The man keeps his shirt on. This may be disappointing for libertarians, who I believe enjoy rumpy-pumpy as much as anyone."

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Toadvine posted:

Death to Smoochy is incredible comedy. gently caress that bespectacled lump what's he even doing these days?

Decomposing

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I liked looking at the Spice Girls in Spice World

client
Aug 19, 2010

Filthy Hans posted:

Ebert gave a negative review to Cable Guy, between that and Death To Smoochy he really seemed to dislike dark, spiteful, misanthropic humor and that's where I part ways with his opinions

he gave Happiness 4 out of 4 stars so that's not totally true

also he liked Angel Heart and knew that the Usual Suspects was crap - dude was cool

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

he didnt like bad boys 2! can you believe it

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Parallax Scroll posted:

he didnt like bad boys 2! can you believe it

Jawdropping

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Wow Martin Short looks like a child molester from the 50s on that cover.

Also, I remember Nick Kroll mentioning Roger Ebert looked like somebody's grandma, can't unsee it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ebert would usually go easy on a movie if it had a lot of tits and wasn't outright awful.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I liked his dvd commentary for citizen kane

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Didn't he like a MS3TK bad movie?
Laserblast maybe, can't remember.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

happyhippy posted:

Didn't he like a MS3TK bad movie?
Laserblast maybe, can't remember.

I think you're thinking of Leonard Maltin

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I disagree with 5, 9, 10, 16, and 32.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Egbert Souse posted:

Ebert would usually go easy on a movie if it had a lot of tits and wasn't outright awful.

Can't hate that I guess.

Pink Flamingos is a loving masterpiece though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Can't hate that I guess.

Pink Flamingos is a loving masterpiece though.

I'm waiting on it from Netflix. I'm a John Waters virgin.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

The second pick is an interesting one because it sparked a whirlwind of backlash from the director. Vincent Gallo can get very defensive about his work. Rogert ebert penned one of the finest articles on film:

quote:

Vincent Gallo has put a curse on my colon and a hex on my prostate.

He called me a "fat pig" in the New York Post and told the New York Observer I have "the physique of a slave-trader." He is angry at me because I said his "The Brown Bunny" was the worst movie in the history of the Cannes Film Festival. I was not alone in my judgment. Screen International, the British trade paper, convenes a panel of critics to score the official entries. "The Brown Bunny" scored 0.6 out of a possible five--the lowest score in its history, the paper said.
This came as a blow to the French. Their national pride could not abide the notion that an American film was worse than any of their own, and so a few days later they countered with Bertrand Blier's "Les Cotelettes.""It actually scored even worse with our forlorn international critics," Colin Brown, editor of Screen International, told me.

"Seven zeroes, vs. Gallo's five zeroes." The "Bunny" press screening "was remarkable for the unrestrained hostility of the audience," wrote A. O. Scott in the New York Times. At the end, the audience "gave voice to that French form of abuse that sounds like a cross between the lowing of a cow and the hooting of an owl." During a scene where Gallo shares a bicycle with a young woman, I became so nostalgic for "Butch Cassidy" that I softly sang "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head." I stopped after six words when my wife jabbed me in the ribs.

I was overheard by a writer for Hollywood Reporter, who included it in his coverage about how badly the film was received, and that is another reason Gallo has put the heebie-jeebie on my colon and prostate. I am not too worried. I had a colonoscopy once, and they let me watch it on TV. It was more entertaining than "The Brown Bunny."

"A day after the fiasco of the movie's premiere, Screen International ran a remarkable interview in which Gallo apologized for his film, calling it "a disaster and a waste of time," and adding, "I apologize to the financiers of the film, but I must assure you it was never my intention to make a pretentious film, a self-indulgent film, a useless film, an unengaging film." He added that the official screening "was the worst feeling I ever had in my life," and said he would never watch the film again.

On Monday Gallo told the New York Post's Page Six that Screen International "made up" his quotes. He added, "I'm sorry I'm not gay or Jewish, so I don't have a special interest group of journalists who support me." Such comments might seem politically incorrect, but not to Gallo, who says he is a conservative Republican, although since his film ends with a hard-core oral sex scene, he is not likely to be fielding many group bookings from the Moral Majority.

But was Gallo actually misquoted?

"Absolutely insane stuff from Gallo," editor Colin Brown assured me. "Not only is everything we wrote in Cannes exactly as he spewed out, word for word, it was all recorded on audio tape." He added, "It makes me wonder whether this is not all some great marketing ploy on his part. I have actually come across people who say 'Brown Bunny' is top of their list of films they most want to see out of Cannes this year."

Fionnuala Halligan, who wrote the Screen International piece, says she quoted Gallo accurately and sent me a copy of his transcript.

"By the end he is shouting and spitting, and his invective is so unpleasant, I feel quite shaken listening to it again," she told me. "I don't think it was a good day for him to meet the press, as he was obviously extremely upset. He was very late, and all the interviews that had previously been arranged got lumped into one group, which is fortunate for me, as he probably would have thumped me otherwise."

Gallo all but wept in a Cannes interview as he described the pain of "growing up ugly," but empathy has its limits, and he had no tears for a fat pig and slave-trader such as myself. It is true that I am fat, but one day I will be thin, and he will still be the director of "The Brown Bunny."

Ebert did get cancer, though Gallo missed with his hex and Ebert got neck cancer instead. He did eventually lose weight before dying. Brown Bunny still survives. It is a terrible movie.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Physique of a slave-trader is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm waiting on it from Netflix. I'm a John Waters virgin.

Me too, however I saw him do stand up last year, so I guess that's like the "do bjs count as sex" argument.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

What? This movie owns. Yeah it gets a little corny near the end with the Dan Ackroyd evil businessman stuff but I watch the whole movie in full any time I catch it. If Ebert (or Evert as the OP calls him) didn't laugh at the scene when Farley is petting the piece of bread then I don't know why he was reviewing comedies.

ive never seen it but the people that tell me that it is a good movie are also fans of adam sandler movies so i just assume chris farley is piss idiot tier

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Why do they still let Vincent Gallo make movies? Are they financed by his parents?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Physique of a slave-trader is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

yea thats solid

Him
Oct 9, 2015

There it is.

You know, I doubt if everyone in this thread has any idea what happened to Ebert, so I'll just put this here.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Vincent also went on to say ``Not only is he a fat pig, if he lost 30 pounds he would still be a fat pig``

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Ive never seen a vincent gallo film but the man's trash talk is on point

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

People hate saving Silverman?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Thanks for reminding that The Love Guru exists.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

People hate saving Silverman?

jack blacks loving garbage

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Freddy Got Fingered was Tom Green's finest hour. In hindsight, the movie was successful in the sense that it successfully trolled film critics.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
the brown bunny is basically vincent gallo telling his friends "hey I bet you fifty bucks I can get chloe sevigny to suck me off on camera" and his friends saying "oh no way vincent you're on"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Howard Beale posted:

the brown bunny is basically vincent gallo telling his friends "hey I bet you fifty bucks I can get chloe sevigny to suck me off on camera" and his friends saying "oh no way vincent you're on"

don't worry Jenny, it's me, Casper

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

don't worry Jenny, it's me, Casper

lol

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Didn't Ebert re-review The Brown Bunny after a massive edit by Gallo and they came to some kind of understanding? Or did I imagine this? I feel like he came away much more positive.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Have to agree that most of the movies on that list are pretty bad. Some of them seemed to be more mediocre than outright terrible, but I haven't watched anything on that list in years.

Also, could probably understand being really annoyed at paying money to see some of those things in the theater.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

ephori posted:

Didn't Ebert re-review The Brown Bunny after a massive edit by Gallo and they came to some kind of understanding? Or did I imagine this? I feel like he came away much more positive.

I remember this happening as well.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

JnnyThndrs posted:

I remember this happening as well.

Sounds like it. He gave it 3/4 after the edit. Ebert said

quote:

Gallo went back into the editing room and cut 26 minutes of his 118-minute film, or almost a quarter of the running time. And in the process he transformed it. The film's form and purpose now emerge from the miasma of the original cut, and are quietly, sadly, effective. It is said that editing is the soul of the cinema; in the case of The Brown Bunny, it is its salvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
You can read the re-review on his site. Specifically addresses his initial take on the film too: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-brown-bunny-2004

• Locked thread