Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Vastarien posted:

Speaking of Vincent Gallo, has anyone posted this yet? http://www.vgmerchandise.com/store/pages.php?pageid=4

He'll knock you up for $1,000,000. What a bargain.

$1.5 million if you want natural insemination instead of artificial. You can waive the extra $500,000 by sending him pictures and hoping he doesn't think you're an uggo.

E: also no darkies but if you want a Jew kid, it'll technically count as one. are a Jewess I'm totally in because I want my offspring to be in the movie business, and Jewry plus my talent is unbeatable.

EE: special discount if you have blonde hair and blue eyes, another discount if you can prove your family were Nazis.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Necc0 posted:

thank god for this thread because i thought i was the only one who figured this poo poo out at the very beginning of the movie and it's dogshit

i committed zero of that movie to memory as a result but all i remember is they telegraph the gently caress out of a clue at the very beginning that i thought it was intentional until i talked to other people who were raving about what a good movie it was.

Most people don't pay close attention to details or do any dot connecting while watching a movie, as they are there to be a passive observer and relax. Many viewers are also not formally familiar with storytelling devices and cinematographic techniques that are commonplace.

Dutch angles add a sense of wrongness or upset to a shot, giving you quick visual shorthand that something is off in this scene. If you then asked a viewer why they thought the scene was effective, you're probably not going to hear anything about the Dutch angles or the soundtrack that has been slowly building for five minutes and getting subtly atonal.

Most of the time, if your viewers are thinking about poo poo while watching the film, you've made a bad film. Exceptions include reviewers (who often forget that those reading the review do not watch movies like they do) ,fans of the art and craft of cinema in general, and the occasional insufferable oval office who's smart.

Secret Window was a lovely movie for me (first one that came to mind). I nailed the ending within the first 15-30 minutes (long time ago, so pretty iffy) and spent the rest of the time watching Johnny Depp fart around. My friends who were watching it with me loved it because they were invested in the story the whole time. I'm not going to begrudge them a good time because my brain decided to be a jerk to me.

I tend to watch a lot of movies to check out the neat props and cool camera tricks and bad acting and occasionally a story will hook me and I won't notice a thing until the movie is over. I grew up watching MST 3K, so I can have a good time watching just about any terrible piece of poo poo film anyway.

E: for the record I'm an insufferable oval office who's dumb and enjoys cinema.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 20, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

All this talk about Roger, but no Siskel? Was Siskel ever known for anything (aside from dying)? Ebert got the fat jokes, but there's got to be more.

I assume he was a good counterbalance to and had a well developed and pleasing patter when bullshitting about movies with a lesbian grandma. Just guessing though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

gary oldmans diary posted:

The movie is loving perfect as the action movie it is intended to be, but even though the sparse and easy to follow dialogue of characters that we can relate to (because the movie very clearly captures their feeling of being hunted) very clearly lets the audience in on the revelation that the predator is a sport hunter, Roger Ebert is too dumb to hear it. He had a complaint early on in the movie and even though it was answered as an appropriately timed revelation when the protagonist and the audience learn it together, once an old-man-brain has a complaint that complaint is permanent. The movie docked 1 star for not making sense by an idiot who can't follow 2 pages of dialogue: Roger Ebert.

The Predator is an awful sport hunter though. Skull shots and chest explosions ruin you trophies for one, and showing up with active camo, electronic noise mimicry and the equivalent of an AK-74 with 40mm grenade launcher in tow would be considered a bit unsporting for another. I also highly doubt Predator was sticking to his bag limit.

E: Predator is secretly a psyop piece on the necessity of hunting regulations.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 20, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Howard Beale posted:

Ebert gave the world the line "You will drink the black sperm of my vengeance!" and for that so many things can be forgiven

Seems like Ebert was just generally against violence but ok with sex, which makes him pretty awesome. I like both in movies, but hey, personal taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

PepperSinclaire posted:

The best way forward is clearly to exhume Ebert and yell at his corpse for any & all things we disagree with him over.

Digging up some popes and putting them on trial worked. I guess you could dig up the frumpy, jawless grandma and just ask pointed questions where silence is an admission of guilt, or perhaps agreement with statements read at his corpse.

• Locked thread