Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Dynasty Warriors gundam is a beat 'em up based on the long-running Mobile Suit Gundam series and its many incarnations. It was developed by Koei, who are known for making a lot of licensed games, often taking the Dynasty Warriors formula and re-designing it to fit the respective property. DW Gundam is no exception, and features a greater (but still minor) focus on strategy than its counterparts, as well as introducing AI that is actually competent and reliable, thus cementing my argument that the AI in other DW games is stupid on purpose. It's also very colorful and has a spiffy user interface.

We're going to be playing through the game's "Official Mode" (that's what it's called), so we can experience bits and pieces of the official Gundam storylines, but with more hitting things and less watching things hit things. We'll level up mobile suits, level up pilots, equip items, and sometimes go to outer space! After official mode, we'll take a much smaller look at "Original Mode" which is an original story that crosses over several different Gundam continuities, centering around a mysterious planet that breaks the boundaries of time and space.

Videos:

That's all for Gundam!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
This looks like it's going to be an enjoyable ride. Is it similar to Dynasty Warriors in that you can play as a vast array of colourful characters? Or are you limited to the three on the selection screen?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You unlock more characters as you progress through the different modes. Official has set characters for the routes, since it's based on the actual series' stories, but Original opens the floodgates on characters you can use, since Original gives no fucks.

Are you going to do the whole DW Gundam series, or just the first game?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

quote:

Dynasty Warriors

quote:

Gundam

:stare::fh: Somebody port this to PC, stat!

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

CommissarMega posted:

I love the Dynasty Warrior Gundam series, even if I found the gameplay really repetitive. I forget if it was 2, or 3, but the series has a special place in my heart for allowing to me create Cyber Newtype Loran Cehack, Ace Pilot for the Principality of Zeon. Truly the best possible outcome of all time. :allears:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

If they didn't port Reborn (4th and latest in the series), I doubt they'll port any of them. Which is a huge shame, because 3 and Reborn both had online co-op, though 3 had 4-player and Reborn only had 2-player, and giant character/mobile suit rosters.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The first game in the series was always the most basic, but goddamn, that shot of the Zaku eyes lighting up in the intro is still cool as hell. The second game is really the point it gets good though, and the third game is fun as hell. Probably tied for Warriors Orochi 3 for my favourite Warriors game.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I had no idea this was a thing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mission "menacingly run into Gundam" complete.

This seriously looks fun though, I've always been interested in this series but console choices make it hard (seriously, port this to PC!). That said Ramba Ral's Gouf loses a lot of importance when it debuts alongside the Dom.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

This looks like it's going to be an enjoyable ride. Is it similar to Dynasty Warriors in that you can play as a vast array of colourful characters? Or are you limited to the three on the selection screen?

As Anime-Boob-Mousepad said, Official mode only features characters that make sense in the official storyline, but Original mode has an absurd amount, to the point completing Original Mode entirely could take around 50 hours.

Schubalts posted:

Are you going to do the whole DW Gundam series, or just the first game?

I'm not sure yet, because as cool as Gundam is and as much as I love Koei's licensed games, there's a lot of other fish in the sea and I'm a bit of a swinger.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I had no idea this was a thing.

There will eventually be a Dynasty Warriors game for everything.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ramba Ral's Gouf loses a lot of importance when it debuts alongside the Dom.

No kidding, especially when Ramba Ral being denied a DOM was an important plot point.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

IIRC soemone told me the second DW:G game has like a relationship system and every time a pilot likes you more they send you a message. Heero's first message is "I'll kill you"

I also heard 2 and 3 had some awful loving Heero and Kira worship. The latter is especially bad because holy poo poo is SEED a shitshow. And I'm someone who like the Freedom Gundam.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I've only played Reborn, but I really, really enjoyed it. SEED got way too much representation, but at least most of the suits were really fun.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SEED was the most popular series, I thought? Not that it means anything toward its quality, but I can understand why they focused on it so much.

Also, iirc, Heero's "I'll kill you" is a recurring in-joke, since he never actually kills the people he claims he will.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 19, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

SEED was the most popular series, I thought? Not that it means anything toward its quality, but I can understand why they focused on it so much.

It was and I have no idea why. Especially after SEED Destiny. THAT apparently broke the dude so hard he made Cross Ange. And that only became popular because Nana Mizuki is a troll who would make FYAD proud.

Also, iirc, Heero's "I'll kill you" is a recurring in-joke, since he never actually kills the people he claims he will.

Yup, that's why I really liked it :v:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

IIRC soemone told me the second DW:G game has like a relationship system and every time a pilot likes you more they send you a message. Heero's first message is "I'll kill you"

I also heard 2 and 3 had some awful loving Heero and Kira worship. The latter is especially bad because holy poo poo is SEED a shitshow. And I'm someone who like the Freedom Gundam.

2 and 3 both had relationships. They unlock those messages, new missions, skills, mobile suits, operators (the person who tells you about objectives in-battle), and pilots.

They don't really. Like Kira's random event (when he randomly shows up during non-Official modes) lines are all about peace and stop fighting blah blah non-lethal, then Athrun shows up and basically calls him a hypocritical idiot for spraying lasers everywhere and tells him to leave.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Nice,cool to finally see this being LP'd! I'm anxiously looking forwards to the fanfiction missions later on,they're pretty fun.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Oh, if only DW:G Reborn had an English dub...

No, seriously, whoever hired these VAs deserves a goddamn medal because each one is just the right amount for campy cheese for me to enjoy. Especially the Black Tri-Stars, who will now forever be angry space Texans, which is funny, because in Mobile Suit Gundam: THE ORIGIN, there is actually a colony called New Dallas where Artesia/Seyla and Cavsal/"Edouard" (Casval's alias before he became the Char Aznable we all know and love) hide out in, I believe. From what I can remember it's basically Space Texas. I'm also eager to see how they handle the Red Comet's voice.

Also, will you be covering the other three games? DW:G Reborn in particular, since that focuses on the main "flagship" timelines (UC from 0079 to Gundam Unicorn and CE from SEED up to SEED: DESTINY) for its story mode.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
Played DW1 a bunch, and 2 even more. I'm looking forward to seeing this because, well, I love me some Gundam.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Lore chat in a Gundam LP? Yeeeeesssssss.

I'm actually not surprised that they put the Odessa battle as the first one, as it's one of the big Set-Piece fights for the series, and is also one of the few that might be recognized by someone only mildly acquainted with the series. That logic is probably also why Ramba Ral appears in a battle that he was not actually alive for in the series. What surprises me is that we didn't have an appearance by everyone's favorite masked Zeon pilot. On the other hand, they are probably saving Char for the second mission.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

HereticMIND posted:

No, seriously, whoever hired these VAs deserves a goddamn medal because each one is just the right amount for campy cheese for me to enjoy. Especially the Black Tri-Stars, who will now forever be angry space Texans, which is funny, because in Mobile Suit Gundam: THE ORIGIN, there is actually a colony called New Dallas where Artesia/Seyla and Cavsal/"Edouard" (Casval's alias before he became the Char Aznable we all know and love) hide out in, I believe. From what I can remember it's basically Space Texas. I'm also eager to see how they handle the Red Comet's voice.

They actually got as many of the original English actors back as they could. Which resulted in things like Brad Swaille talking to himself in 3, because he voiced Amuro and Setsuna.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oh, how I love this game's Original Mode. Especially Puru, Domon and Milliardo's Bogus Journey. Shame that gets dropped for later games.

SSNeoman posted:

It was and I have no idea why. Especially after SEED Destiny.
SEED, for all its faults and issues, helped resurrect the Gundam franchise from being in limbo after 1999's Turn-A Gundam seemed to signal the end of the franchise as a whole. It's part of the reason why Gundam has found relevance in the modern day, as it introduced a whole new generation to the franchise. So yeah, SEED is popular because it revived Sunrise's biggest cash cow. And popularity is nothing new to the franchise. Look at the opening movie, those three Gundams (RX-78-2, Zeta and ZZ) are among the most popular entries in the franchise and get featured heavily in Gundam-related materials or other media that feature the Gundam franchise (see: the Super Robot Wars franchise).

HereticMIND posted:

No, seriously, whoever hired these VAs deserves a goddamn medal because each one is just the right amount for campy cheese for me to enjoy.
A bunch of the VAs are the original English dub actors (Amuro is Brad Swaile, who voiced him in the original series and Char's Counterattack). There are definitely some that are new people hired to replace original dub actors (Mark Gatha, Domon's original VA, retired to be a pediatrician and does not voice him here) or voice the character for the first time in English period, such as the ZZ Gundam and Turn-A characters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I heard that DWG:3 was bad, it basically killed any chance of seeing a PC Port ever, and was the reason why Reborn didn't get a physical release anywhere outside of Japan.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kurieg posted:

I heard that DWG:3 was bad, it basically killed any chance of seeing a PC Port ever, and was the reason why Reborn didn't get a physical release anywhere outside of Japan.

I've heard a lot of bad things about DWG:3 too, but none that anyone ever clarified to me.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Just looked up DW:G 3 for the first time, it seems pretty sweet in all honesty.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DWG3's a great game, in all honesty. I think it gets a lot of flak because it does a SRW-style original story by mashing up all the characters and plots to create its own thing. Really, it's just a typical Dynasty Warriors game, where they refine what worked in the last games and kick out what didn't (the relationship system from the last game is back, for example, but while you could lose points by destroying aces on the field, in this game, the worst that happens is you don't gain anything with them). Besides, it has Gym Gingham being voiced by Scott McNeil in fill-on scenery chewing mode, and if you don't like that, you can just get out.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

DWG3's a great game, in all honesty. I think it gets a lot of flak because it does a SRW-style original story by mashing up all the characters and plots to create its own thing. Really, it's just a typical Dynasty Warriors game, where they refine what worked in the last games and kick out what didn't (the relationship system from the last game is back, for example, but while you could lose points by destroying aces on the field, in this game, the worst that happens is you don't gain anything with them). Besides, it has Gym Gingham being voiced by Scott McNeil in fill-on scenery chewing mode, and if you don't like that, you can just get out.

It also looks really uh... what's the word for something colorful, loud, and energetic? Hip? Pop? Lollipop bop hip hop.

Also, I hate to be contrarian, but while Koei usually makes good progress from game to game, Ken's Rage 2 was an awful mistake and took away everything unique from the first.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 20, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh, how I love this game's Original Mode. Especially Puru, Domon and Milliardo's Bogus Journey. Shame that gets dropped for later games.\

Everything involving Domon in these games is pretty much the best, especially when he and Asia start running into the pacifists.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Also, I hate to be contrarian, but while Koei usually makes good progress from game to game, Ken's Rage 2 was an awful mistake and took away everything unique from the first.
I don't think anyone's gonna debate you on that.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Everything involving Domon in these games is pretty much the best, especially when he and Asia start running into the pacifists.

G Gundam was the best Gundam, and I will challange anyone who suggests otherwise to a Gundam Fight.

gundam

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RickVoid posted:

G Gundam was the best Gundam, and I will challange anyone who suggests otherwise to a Gundam Fight.

gundam

"There is no reason to fight!"

"There is always a reason to fight, start hitting things or die!"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Build Fighters and G are tied.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Build Fighters and G are tied.
I would love to see the Build Fighters cast in these games. They could have fun with their inclusion, like Sei and company geeking out over the Gundam characters, or possibly spoiling plot points accidentally during missions.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I would love to see the Build Fighters cast in these games. They could have fun with their inclusion, like Sei and company geeking out over the Gundam characters, or possibly spoiling plot points accidentally during missions.

Not the Try cast,though. Every mission would be "Sekai does the same over-telegraphed attacks over and over again,until he wins." And everyone would be obsessed with him for no good reason. Buuuuuut on the other hand,Fellini drunkenly hitting on all of the female pilots would probably be hilarious. Or everyone trying to figure out how the gently caress the Beargguy is at all combat-worthy.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 21, 2016

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

VolticSurge posted:

Not the Try cast,though. Every mission would be "Sekai does the same over-telegraphed attacks over and over again,until he wins." And everyone would be obsessed with him for no good reason. Buuuuuut on the other hand,Fellini drunkenly hitting on all of the female pilots would probably be hilarious. Or everyone trying to figure out how the gently caress the Beargguy is at all combat-worthy.

In fairness, isn't doing the same combo over and over again to make everyone cheer with no sense the very heart of the Dynasty Warriors games?

AradoBalanga posted:

SEED, for all its faults and issues, helped resurrect the Gundam franchise from being in limbo after 1999's Turn-A Gundam seemed to signal the end of the franchise as a whole. It's part of the reason why Gundam has found relevance in the modern day, as it introduced a whole new generation to the franchise. So yeah, SEED is popular because it revived Sunrise's biggest cash cow. And popularity is nothing new to the franchise. Look at the opening movie, those three Gundams (RX-78-2, Zeta and ZZ) are among the most popular entries in the franchise and get featured heavily in Gundam-related materials or other media that feature the Gundam franchise (see: the Super Robot Wars franchise).

Also Japan REALLY likes the robot designs. They have just enough hint of classic with a new design to kick start everyone's feel goods aesthetically.

Speaking of robot designs it's too bad the best SEED product: Gundam SEED Astray- hardly gets enough love. It's been in all of I think 3 SRW games, and I can't even fathom why it's not in every one since it was debuted considering it involves Gundams with samurai design swinging around giant ship cleaving sized swords.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TCat posted:

Also Japan REALLY likes the robot designs. They have just enough hint of classic with a new design to kick start everyone's feel goods aesthetically.

Speaking of robot designs it's too bad the best SEED product: Gundam SEED Astray- hardly gets enough love. It's been in all of I think 3 SRW games, and I can't even fathom why it's not in every one since it was debuted considering it involves Gundams with samurai design swinging around giant ship cleaving sized swords.
It's been in only one SRW game, 2007's SRW W for the DS, which featured 3 of the manga side stories (Astray, X Astray and Astray R, with the last one being technically uncredited). As for why it doesn't get a lot of attention, the manga/novel side stories don't often get a lot of attention (outside of the SD Gundam games) period. For instance, Crossbone Gundam is set to make only its second SRW appearance in the upcoming SRW V and Hathaway's Flash is also set to finally make its debut in that game as well. There's no real explanation as to why some stuff gets attention (See: the glut of OYW to Unicorn content) and others get the shaft like the late Universal Century stuff, unfortunately.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Having played 3 and nothing else, the main problem isn't the story but more of a gameplay-related issue in that it can get a touch bit repetitive at times. The maps are more on the small side so you have more missions to compensate for game time, and that means you see the same levels over and over, and even with random events there's only so much you can do to shake them up.

Aside from that, it has really good voice work (even for characters that didn't have English releases for their shows!), a plot that lets all of these characters work off of each other in great ways (Ribbons is the biggest troll in 3 and it's amazing), and I love how the Gundams fall apart like...well, Gunpla models would amusingly enough. Also you could make everyone a Newtype if you max out their relationship. Yes, this means you can in fact vindicate all of those jokes about Kira being a hax Newtype Coordinator and other amazing things like that.

TCat posted:

In fairness, isn't doing the same combo over and over again to make everyone cheer with no sense the very heart of the Dynasty Warriors games?

This man. This man gets it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

TCat posted:

This is so very true. I like to imagine some Koei executive somewhere has read your post and is angrily ranting about it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ken's Rage 2 was an awful mistake and took away everything unique from the first.

Future LP idea??

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Future LP idea??

I want to LP the first Ken's Rage someday, but the second would just be me talking about how everything is worse from the first one. I mean, at least the second one is on WiiU I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hooray, Dynasty Warriors Gundam! I hope the Original mode gets more than a token look. The mechanics for this game is the roughest of the lot, and those improved as the series went on (aside from the soul destroying grindfest of 2), but the original story mode in this is just the best. The later games have some interesting stuff, but nothing on the level of stuff like "Master Asia takes Heero Yuy and Jerid Mesa as his disciples."

For what it's worth, Original Mode plays very fast and loose with things, as is necessary. I'm talking like "you shoot down more Doms in a single fight than were manufactured during the entire One Year War." They also are clearly not using any of the original scripts, because Ramba is supposed to say "This is no Zaku, boy! No Zaku!" Ah well.

• Locked thread