Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Kickin, I actually just finished re-watching your Dark Souls II LP and I'm oh about 3/4 of the way through this game as of right now so I'll be glad to see the correct way to get through this mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Honestly, I never finished Dark Souls 2 and I wanted to refresh myself on all the stuff they reference in 3. And your run was both informative and low-key, as opposed to some of the obnoxious goddamn dark souls LPs out there on the YT.

On a personal note, I felt like the High Wall of Lothric was a lot tighter than Undead Burg in terms of concept and design. It has a really obvious progression and a natural flow that, as you said in your post, helps tacitly guide the player. Without giving anything away, it also teaches you the skills needed for, and expectations of, later parts of the game, so each feels like a refinement of previous challenges rather than a series of arbitrary traps.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I love Vordt's design, in fact I love the Boreal Valley aesthetic in general. Vordt's a very Bloodborne boss - vestiges of humanity twisted into a bestial form, his every move savage and chaotic and laboured, as though his human reason were fighting with his animal body. He can also be a huge motherfucker if you're unprepared for it, as I was. Definitely an exciting start to the game, and a good twist on the "big dude with sword" design.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Sheesh, I had a couple of adrenaline-pumping moments just with some of the miniboss encounters - that red-eyed lothric knight being one of them. I'm not used to games making me feel things.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I dunno man, it makes sense to me that the hollows of Londor venerate the chosen undead who linked the fire and (presumably) paved the way for all the various other lords of cinder throughout the ages. Maybe it's a religious thing - when the bells of awakening toll, they go on their pilgrimage to the walls of Lothric castle, and die to lend their souls to the unkindled. That's my read on it anyway - I like Yoel. He's a nice guy for a zealot.

Anyway, I had a really hard time in the Undead Settlement. Lots of nasty deaths at the hands of those undead evangelists - bleed-inducing, wide-sweeping melee attacks at close range, and dorhy's gnawing at long range make them super scary. Worse still, you usually fight them in tight quarters. They're the bestworst enemy in the game.

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 10, 2016

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I really like their "WHO WILL CLEANSE THE BASTARD'S CURSE" line as they cast Warm Hug and try to squeeze the sin out of you. They're nasty customers.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

More like the purse-rotted greatwood amirite :v:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Jeez, it's just lucky Part 2 of this piece of poo poo zone is actually pretty great.

Because gently caress blightswamps.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Man, these guys are super cool. Especially their kickin' rad gang sign.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Wolnir is a really silly fight imo. It's pretty cinematic, but it lacks the understated solemnity of the Four Kings, or the buildup of Manus. It's just, you grapple your way through the nasty ol' catacombs and then BOOM giant skeleton.

That said he's a pretty good boss to farm in co-op, or at least he was when the game was more active. Two or three motivated players can take him out in just about two minutes, I think.

Edit: TOTP

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Jeez I hate Pontiff beasts most of all.

I ended up doing some pretty dirty tactics on the first fella who chased you across the bridge. If you double back, he can't cross the archway at the end of the bridge and with some judicious line-dancing you can either wear him down or take a moment to replenish your health.

It doesn't matter too much though - they can kill you pretty much instantly with their weird Bloodborne moveset.

Anyway, I really like Irithyll, even if it's basically just Yharnam on Ice.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah well I had a hard time with him so there.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Crystalgate posted:

However, I'll give the shieldless run a go. If that makes the action much better, then New Game+ should become much more fun as well.

From page 1:

Anyway, I never met the archdeacon on account of I couldn't beat the two Pontiff Beasts. Them things are motherfuckers at the best of times - I was only able to beat the one on the bridge by cheating.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I wonder if some day folks will realize seath was really incredibly stupid and stop trying to emulate him.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It strikes me that Oceiros probably founded a library within Lothric castle so he didn't have to commute to study the perverted dragon magic.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

How do I become best friends with Skippy and Shibbo?

How fundamentally broken are you as a person

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Welcome to the family then, son!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Nice LP, pal! Thanks for having me along for the bonus run

• Locked thread