Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I saw an uglystik with a nice matte finish in dark gray. What is the point of that, it was not ugly in the slightest it was actually pretty nice lookin.

The early versions of the rod had a clear tip, which was unlike other rods of the time, to highlight how resilient the top section was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

extra stout posted:

they still look the same, i think it's just where the carbon fiber hollow part becomes some weird super-bendy plastic which supposedly helps you feel the action on the hook more quickly without costing you any strength

in defense of a 40 dollar rods marketing: i've never actually heard of or seen any break at that part, mine works exactly as well as it did a year ago despite not having oiled the ball bearings or anything

I'm using one that's 30 years old. My dad paid 25 bucks for it and it has yet to lose even a single eyelet.
Ugly stick + Shimano quick fire reel + 8 lb test Fireline= Indestructible Rig

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Plus, that setup costs less than 100 bucks

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Fireline is a braid. I generally only have to respool every 3 years or so. And catches pike, muskie, steelhead with no leader.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

extra stout posted:

for me this is the exact opposite of what is true and good about fishing

drink a beer if you can do it while rapidly casting from an isolated corner of a lake or dam that you are mastering for the sake of dinner getting

but sitting? sitting while fishing? better be in a dugout canoe you carved with an adze or i'm about to beat you up

This guy gets it. If i haven't torn my legs up in briar or gotten poison ivy getting to a hole i feel like I've wasted my time

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
I've got some info on a disused golf course (eat the rich) across the river from a state park. The water hazards were stocked to keep mosquitos in check. I'll be breaking the law later this week...

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

jeff smisek posted:

Life owns right now

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php#/forumsite/20518/topics/36104?page=1

Scroll down a little, pike is good solo, but better with a little effort

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

jeff smisek posted:

:eyepop: holy moly.. too bad I'm not bringing a cooler with me

Shore lunch my dude. Sub olive oil for butter, Lil plastic thing of lemon juice, Walla!

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

Carmant posted:

I like to fish out on the ocean but fishing on a lake or river is boring

Dude, harsh

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Now that i think about it, i saw another pike recipe that skipped the boiling all together. Pan fry cubed pike with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, browning on each side. gently caress butter

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Makes bass edible too

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

stealie72 posted:

A wise person told me a while ago that better gear won't necessarily catch more fish, but it will make the experience more pleasant.

Totally agree. Go cheap initially, and once you have a feel for it, decide where to invest, if at all. Presentation (what lure, and how you retrieve it) will catch fish regardless of price.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

VendaGoat posted:

Only a bad workman blames his tools.

I don't think your interpretation is accurate. The $200 dollar rod is a joy to use, but a bamboo rod, line, hook, and worm can produce.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

VendaGoat posted:

let me attempt to translate.

Only a poor angler blames his lures.

An experienced angler can adjust, to whatever variants, given he has the proper equipment. It is only a poor angler that would say he/she is either ill prepared, or not experienced enough to adapt to his surroundings.

:) better?
Not quite.
The advice simply said that the tools of higher quality were more comfort, not more effective. Also, we're not discussing lures, but rods and reels. In the parlance, lures are referred to as Terminal Tackle. Any experienced angler, since we're using that antiquated term, knows that there are variables introduced by each piece of equipment that affects all the others, so blaming the lure is, prima face, an argument that only reveals the inexperience of the plaintiff.

You mentioned earlier that you were not well versed in the habits of anglers, but it appears you're doing some research.

What's your particular hobby?

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

VendaGoat posted:

You're telling me that an experienced angular would not first research where he/she is going and compensate for their tackle box, in regards to the environment they are going to be fishing in?

You're saying a master of their craft would not understand that there would be a difference between fishing in the pacific northwest and the Galveston harbor?

As for your question, Photography, amongst other hobbies.

I think we're arguing to different points. You're discussing lures, while we were discussing the equipment used to present the lure (rod, reel, etc.). Your points on lure selection are correct: geography is absolutely a factor to consider. What works where i fish might be useless, from a terminal tackle perspective, than what works somewhere else, but the delivery system (rod, reel. Etc. ) relies more on technique preferred, rather than fish species sought.

Hopefully, this clears up any confusion for you in regards to lures versus rods et. al. I can elaborate further if you'd like, but the finer points might prove boring for someone who has no interest in actually fishing.

What draws you to photography?

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

VendaGoat posted:

What draws you to angling?

I enjoy it.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
I hope the same holds true for you and photography.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I like fishing but I don't like grabbing the gross slimy flopping fish off the hook and trying to get it off

and I can't ask anyone to do it for me because my friends would call me a pussy

so I don't go fishing anymore

Ask your friends to show you the right way to do it. No one learns without guidance. If they still call you names, your friends might be dicks.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Fishing report:
Early afternoon was 5 smallmouth ranging from 1 to 4 lbs, pond, muddy water, red 1/4 oz. Strike King spinner with Colorado blade
Evening was different pond, clear water, 2 largemouth, one on a spinner that has never produced, crayfish colored, which i promptly lost after a 4 lb catch, and a 2 lb. Caught on a rattling top water rebel frog, hard body, not the kind thrown into pads.

A good day.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

extra stout posted:

it would be much goonier to be an alcoholic who gets his food from a bottle or a bag than to be good at catching and cleaning fish, sorry to negate your post

*hunting version of this logic*

lol frank shot a deer!! and ate it!! that loving tryhard idiot, i'm just here to get fuckin rekt and wear this new camo

And say you're going "cunting", instead of "hunting", because swearing is edgy too

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Beetlespin for panfish are a good artificial lure, cheap and they give you 3 rubber replacements in the box! The spinner part lasts forever, and you can reuse it with different plastics.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

BONGHITZ posted:

please tell me how to fish, i like to fish but i have nothing except money

What kind of fishing are you looking to do? Salt or fresh water?

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

BONGHITZ posted:

fresh water, probably Folsom lake in California.

What kind of fish?

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

thylacine posted:

Are fishing license generally pro-rated for the year. I guess I could call the state, but they want $30 for one in Kansas, :ohdear:.

Call a license bureau. Or, since you live in Kansas, pick a direction, walk for five minutes, and go into a Walmart. They sell em there, too

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

OMGVBFLOL posted:

probably whatever kind are in folsom lake

I posted earlier a (in my opinion) good, cheap setup

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

BONGHITZ posted:

Apparently there are smallmouth and largemouth bass, also perch.

Strike king spinner baits, jigs, and plastics will work

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

After 4 days of fishing up nothing but lovely perch and crappie from this bullshit manmade pond I managed to hook a 17" smallmouth bass with nothing but a small hook and a tiny piece of worm.

Felt pretty good.

Nice. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

extra stout posted:

aside from the mouth which also ends a bit closer to the eye, largemouth get bigger, are generally more common in most areas w/ bass, and the quickest way to identify them is to just learn the different patterns on their scales

Also, in my experience, largemouth are less finicky about lure selection, but both are fun to catch

• Locked thread