Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
okay so I bit the bullet and watched it. now this gay unfunny series is finally dead, I can move on to better stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Did this outfit do that Dan deacon music video where the furniture comes to life looks like the same peeps

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
people legitimately ship the drawing pad and clock just FYI

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

goddammit

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I enjoyed the first two but felt the concept kinda wore out it's welcome beyond that. Like the first time it kind of catches you off guard because you don't know what's coming, a fun little video. The second one you know things are gonna get weird but the idea is still pretty fresh so it's fun to see where it goes, plus it's got some good lines in it. After that it's sorta just like "what, another one of these things?".

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Toriori posted:

people legitimately ship the drawing pad and clock just FYI

you're not kidding, just saw a handful on GIS and each one looks embarrassing. jesus christ.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Junior Jr. posted:

you're not kidding, just saw a handful on GIS and each one looks embarrassing. jesus christ.

I found this out much to my disdain looking for a gif on tumblr of the "but look a computer!" part and all I was greeted with was a personified note book and a romanticized version of the clock as a human

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
:rip: June 20 2016 :rip:

Don't Hug Me I'm Scared

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

:rip: June 20 2016 :rip:

Don't Hug Me I'm Scared

OH poo poo I didn't realise today IS 20TH OF JUNE!

I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I SAID! THIS UNFUNNY PUPPET SERIES WAS DEEP AFTER ALL!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ArbitraryC posted:

I enjoyed the first two but felt the concept kinda wore out it's welcome beyond that. Like the first time it kind of catches you off guard because you don't know what's coming, a fun little video. The second one you know things are gonna get weird but the idea is still pretty fresh so it's fun to see where it goes, plus it's got some good lines in it. After that it's sorta just like "what, another one of these things?".

They actually did not stick to the concept, at least for dreams, meat, and love. Started telling a story more than misteaching a lesson... Had they actually stuck harder to the pattern, it probably be worse though. Kind of made that point with this video with all the lesson song snippets from videos that don't exist and the joke about the documents song.

Probably the pattern would've been a little funnier and less sad anyway but I respect the artist's ~*vision*~

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Acne Rain posted:

They actually did not stick to the concept, at least for dreams, meat, and love. Started telling a story more than misteaching a lesson... Had they actually stuck harder to the pattern, it probably be worse though. Kind of made that point with this video with all the lesson song snippets from videos that don't exist and the joke about the documents song.

Probably the pattern would've been a little funnier and less sad anyway but I respect the artist's ~*vision*~

They still sorta did tho, third one was about love, then they had food and the computer one, the last one was sorta about dreams but otherwise just sorta up it's own rear end. I get that they were trying to make a somewhat complete arc with the idea I just personally felt it worked better as a 1 off with maybe the second ep as an encore.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I have no idea where folks are getting this "deep overarching story with themes" from. It's a Sesame Street parody with horror elements; not every background prop has a hidden meaning, guys.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well I think the up its own rear end ness was in food and love, I just don't mind writers exploring their own asses, it makes the world a more interesting place to have works that are totally up their own rear end

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I appreciate the models like the phone having a puppet sized version and a bigger version so actors can wear gloves as stand ins

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Was this even meant to be funny? I thought being creepy and unpleasant was the entire point.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Bimmi posted:

Was this even meant to be funny? I thought being creepy and unpleasant was the entire point.

Right - it was funniest in the first few iterations when the concept was fresh and the gimmicks were subversively amusing.

But true art must find closure before its praise can be accepted: Here's to hoping there's never a season four of Rick & Morty~

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Again, was humor really the point? I kinda took it as existential/cosmic horror more than anything else, and at that it did reasonably well. Probably a good thing it's done, though.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Digital dancing!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Eventually we all run out of time

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bimmi posted:

Again, was humor really the point? I kinda took it as existential/cosmic horror more than anything else, and at that it did reasonably well. Probably a good thing it's done, though.
i think the entire point of the series was to be the ultimate "hey, come watch this totally not-creepy video, psyche it was creepy!" video that everyone shows their friends

and it worked

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I guess the "reality" section of the last one is supposed to be some self-aware representation of the creators, because the concept of DHMIS would only work on the internet, where any "random" poo poo will pass of as funny, maybe get a chuckle from everyone then they move on to something else, and if they tried this in real-life everyone would think they were acting stupid.

I guess that's what it takes to understand real art.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

I miss it already

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I tried to watch whatever the gently caress this was the other day and turned it off 3 minutes in. It was stupid as gently caress.

And I'm a huge filthy Frank fan.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

facebook jihad posted:

I sometimes get some laughs from frank's vids and raps, but I don't think he's always funny.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Junior Jr. posted:

I sometimes get some laughs from frank's vids and raps, but I don't think he's always funny.
i only like filthyfrank when he's collaborating with the other aussie youtubers like maxmoefoe and idubbzz, because then it's just a couple of australian dudes getting drunk and trying to die on camera

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

facebook jihad posted:

I tried to watch whatever the gently caress this was the other day and turned it off 3 minutes in. It was stupid as gently caress.

Just try time and computer
(2 and 4 I think...)
Those tell the joke the best, I didn't like creative that much beyond just how much work it took to make all the puppets and effects.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Like these days youtube viewers will give you millions of views for recording yourself making funny faces at video games and screaming RAPE, gotta have some respect for actually making a video requiring more effort than most tv shows

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Junior Jr. posted:

OH poo poo I didn't realise today IS 20TH OF JUNE!

I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I SAID! THIS UNFUNNY PUPPET SERIES WAS DEEP AFTER ALL!

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Am I missing it or was there no raw meat this time?

I didn't think it was funny but I loved it regardless. Not as good as the others, they were wise in choosing how many episodes to make in total.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenHeart posted:

I have no idea where folks are getting this "deep overarching story with themes" from. It's a Sesame Street parody with horror elements; not every background prop has a hidden meaning, guys.

There are definitely a lot of themes to take away from it, however, the overarching story which the fans try to piece together is probably just the creators fueling whatever theories the fans come up with. This final episode was kind of bad because the entire focus seemed to be on giving the fanbase some form of an "ending" to a story arch that was probably never actually intentionally there to begin with. It also seemed like they just crammed all of their remaining ideas into one episode.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

There are definitely a lot of themes to take away from it, however, the overarching story which the fans try to piece together is probably just the creators fueling whatever theories the fans come up with. This final episode was kind of bad because the entire focus seemed to be on giving the fanbase some form of an "ending" to a story arch that was probably never actually intentionally there to begin with. It also seemed like they just crammed all of their remaining ideas into one episode.

I know they did a kickstarter for more episodes after Time, so I'm assuming the other singing characters would've had their own episodes if there were enough backers to make them do stretch goals. So they just went "gently caress it" and crammed them all in the last episode, or they couldn't think of any funny material to flesh them out.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

symbolic posted:

i only like filthyfrank when he's collaborating with the other aussie youtubers like maxmoefoe and idubbzz, because then it's just a couple of australian dudes getting drunk and trying to die on camera

Idubbbz isn't Australian dumbass

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

facebook jihad posted:

Idubbbz isn't Australian dumbass
i know but he might as well be for as much as he records with them

e: also i'm not gonna loving type out "aussie youtubers like maxmoefoe and idubbzz even though he's american". that's pointless.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

symbolic posted:

i'm not gonna loving type out "youtubers".

Thank you - now I have a place to come back to if I ever need to copy/paste that word so I don't barf (as much).

(btw like the new dancin' av!)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

(btw like the new dancin' av!)
thanks! i knew the moment i saw it that i wanted it as my new av :3:

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

symbolic posted:

e: also i'm not gonna loving type out "aussie youtubers like maxmoefoe and idubbzz even though he's american". that's pointless.

You just did.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gently caress

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Bimmi posted:

it's not meant to be funny. there's some dark humor in there but the purpose was absurdist horror not comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into the puppets and the songs are catchy, but I prefer the more subtle unsettling moments from the first few videos. This last one was just too overtly disturbing and yeah, just made me feel sad :(

• Locked thread