Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Is anyone gonna watch over the top? I love BB but idk if I wanna buy all access just for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It'll be interesting to see how it works, because it seems intriguing:

No feed blackouts (this is a typical complaint about the feeds usually during comps and ceremonies. They'll still black out for legal issues though)
No big outdoor competitions (Okay, this would probably help explain why they aren't as many blackouts)
Big feed viewer impact on the show (Punishments/rewards? Care package-like drops?)

Some questions still remain:

Are there still HOHs, vetos and HOH nominations?
Do people win those via competitions or viewer vote?
Are there even physical competitions any more? Are they doing smaller Road Kill like competitions or more intriguingly, could they be doing Phone Booth type challenges were they have to figure out mental challenges?

My dream scenario was basically this being The Genius: Big Brother. But that may be hoping for too much based on it being normal open casting.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I wouldn't be surprised if OTT readopted the original format of viewer votes for evictions. That could tie into the "big viewer impact".

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Big Brother can go a lot of ways, but "genius' is definitely not one of them

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It's regular formatted.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Teek posted:

No feed blackouts (this is a typical complaint about the feeds usually during comps and ceremonies. They'll still black out for legal issues though)
No big outdoor competitions (Okay, this would probably help explain why they aren't as many blackouts)
Big feed viewer impact on the show (Punishments/rewards? Care package-like drops?)

Some questions still remain:

Are there still HOHs, vetos and HOH nominations?
Do people win those via competitions or viewer vote?
Are there even physical competitions any more? Are they doing smaller Road Kill like competitions or more intriguingly, could they be doing Phone Booth type challenges were they have to figure out mental challenges?

My dream scenario was basically this being The Genius: Big Brother. But that may be hoping for too much based on it being normal open casting.

Where'd you hear there are no big outdoor comps?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Teek posted:

I thought due to the way it's broadcast it's not going to have as many blackouts beyond family members stuff.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Will there be an ability to watch previous "episodes"?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

violetdragon posted:

The only thing I remember about comps was that they wouldn't be the huge complicated stuff. So probably not OTEV type stuff or stuff with crazy themes. I can still see simpler things like the mixed faces since that is a TV and some buttons. Stuff like shuffle board and even slip and slide should be fair game, unless they are just being super lazy and cheap, which is totally possible.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Will there be an ability to watch previous "episodes"?

They mentioned something about recaps to catch up. I still don't know what that means though.

sbaldrick posted:

I thought due to the way it's broadcast it's not going to have as many blackouts beyond family members stuff.

I think that is what he meant by legal stuff.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

violetdragon posted:

I seem to recall Heath Luman, one of the Executive Producers, tweeted about it.

Here are a few:

https://twitter.com/HeathLuman/status/766807857303920640

https://twitter.com/HeathLuman/status/766828260235677696

Teek fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 22, 2016

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

They mentioned something about recaps to catch up. I still don't know what that means though.

Yeah, that part is really ambiguous and is a deal breaker for me. If the recaps are just handwritten summaries by some intern and they have to squeeze an entire week's worth of Big Brother into a single hour long episode each week then the episode will be packed with 2 competitions, 2 ceremonies, and an eviction. There will be essentially be no room for strategy, and more importantly there is no room for Diary Room segments which are pretty important to these shows.

On the other hand, if the recaps are short 10-15 minute episodes with Diary Rooms, then I think this format could actually be pretty fun. It's a bit counterintuitive but I'd actually waste less time on this silly show if there were short well-produced 10 minute recaps every night that I could just watch before I go to sleep, instead of checking in on badly written reverse chronological Reddit posts at various points throughout the day.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

This will also be only 68 days long so it's abbreviated as a season for sure.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Teek posted:

I seem to recall Heath Luman, one of the Executive Producers, tweeted about it.

Here are a few:

https://twitter.com/HeathLuman/status/766807857303920640

https://twitter.com/HeathLuman/status/766828260235677696

Yeah these can mean anything from (podium games only) to what I mentioned earlier (simpler comps that don't require giant pools of water and crazy set decoration and moving parts, etc.)

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah that may mean we have much lamer comps that don't require producer interference. We shall see.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Killing some time, I tried to think of relatively simple games they could still play besides basic podium question games:

The ball rolling game where you have to catch it on both sides of a tube.
The ball rolling game the played this season with the raised thin platform.
Shuffle board.
The color explosion memory game.
Guess the number Poker.
Slip and Slide.
Face mix.
The ball bouncing games they played this season.
The catapult game.
The giant dice game.
The puzzle game where you also have to keep hitting a button to refresh your timer.
The egg cage.

Basically any game that doesn't require harnesses, moving walls and/or platforms, giant pools of liquid, and/or canons shooting liquids, foams or anything like that.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I just don't want to pay for this if I HAVE to watch it live. I never watch tv when it's actually on

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

mancalamania posted:

Yeah, that part is really ambiguous and is a deal breaker for me. If the recaps are just handwritten summaries by some intern and they have to squeeze an entire week's worth of Big Brother into a single hour long episode each week then the episode will be packed with 2 competitions, 2 ceremonies, and an eviction. There will be essentially be no room for strategy, and more importantly there is no room for Diary Room segments which are pretty important to these shows.

On the other hand, if the recaps are short 10-15 minute episodes with Diary Rooms, then I think this format could actually be pretty fun. It's a bit counterintuitive but I'd actually waste less time on this silly show if there were short well-produced 10 minute recaps every night that I could just watch before I go to sleep, instead of checking in on badly written reverse chronological Reddit posts at various points throughout the day.

You can get a free week trial to check it out. You might be able to get a month, even.

I'm pretty sure the recaps will be videos, and the episodes will be watchable any time, like everything else on All Access.

I have no idea about diary room sessions, though. I've been wondering about that myself.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahahahaha Michelle

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ummmmmmm like I really tried hard and ummmmm did stuff behind the scenes

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ridiculous, a poo poo season ends in poo poo.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
HUH. I wouldn't have guessed that one!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Farrttttttt

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
What a waste of a season

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Well. Huh

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

gently caress that poo poo. What the gently caress? How?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Corey is going to win Americas favorite if that is any indication.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Pissed.

rafington
Aug 21, 2008
Pretty thrilled with the result, Nicole was the superior player and Paul deserves to lose for taking her.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
At least Victor got America's Choice! :woop:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

rafington posted:

Pretty thrilled with the result, Nicole was the superior player and Paul deserves to lose for taking her.

He should have taken James but lol superior player.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
How did you win? That's a good question.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

rafington posted:

Yeah but vets have such a huge huge advantage in these things.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Wow..terrible. The way they feed information to the jury is insane, they should get to see what goes on and not have to rely on bitter newcomer jury members second hand retellings of it. Paul's game was so superior it's not even close.

BB18 is like BB15 but somehow worse.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
So for people who were watching the feeds and stuff, does this stem from, like, the way he was acting towards other people that we didn't really see all that much of on the TV edit? Because otherwise I don't really understand this result

Edit: Also this is my first season of BB so maybe I just don't understand BB

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I.... how did Nicole win? Like, dumb on Paul for taking her instead of James. But how did that Jury look at both of their games and think Nicole did better? Or even remotely close?

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I thought it would be close, but his speech was SO MUCH better I thought that sealed it (I'm pretty sure she closed with "I don't know" and "I'm not good at speaking"). This will show for always that speeches don't matter.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think they were pretty close. I mean I prefer Paul and his speech was obviously better, plus he's new, but Nicole was safe with the Paulie alliance all along and then flipped Natalie on the Sitting Ducks near the end to remain safe. Then went back on the Ducks because James is worse on challenges. Nice little ping pong game and Paul brought her to the finals because James didn't deserve it which is probably why you bring him. She also didn't have her closest ally live three lives in the house.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

obliriovrons posted:

So for people who were watching the feeds and stuff, does this stem from, like, the way he was acting towards other people that we didn't really see all that much of on the TV edit? Because otherwise I don't really understand this result

Edit: Also this is my first season of BB so maybe I just don't understand BB

Paul called Michelle a oval office. Everyone was mad

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Popero posted:

I thought it would be close, but his speech was SO MUCH better I thought that sealed it (I'm pretty sure she closed with "I don't know" and "I'm not good at speaking"). This will show for always that speeches don't matter.

I caught hardly any of this season but Nicole's answers during the questions were so much better and she reiterated how she orchestrated a pivotal moment. Paul's speech was not very good. Maybe even a simple I'm sorry for being rude could have turned a vote. Ultimately I think Paul deserves to lose for taking Nicole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Did Day cast the wrong vote?? From the moment she walked on stage she kept dropping hints that she wanted Paul to win and was literally cheering during his speech. I was actually upset for a few seconds when I realized Day was the last vote Julie was going to read, because I thought she had telegraphed her vote so obviously that it ruined the suspense.

Anyway, a fittingly close vote for two strongish players. Paul probably had higher highs throughout the season, but he also made more mistakes. And while his speech was better than Nicole's, his answers to the questions were just as bad if not worse. His answer to the first question about his vulgar language was particularly terrible. It has such an obvious answer: that, at times, he was deliberately playing up the most offensive parts of his personality for strategic reasons (like the wacky plan to keep Victor over Corey at the first Final 7 that almost worked) and he apologizes for crossing the line at times. I don't know if it would have changed anything, since the people most offended by Paul either voted for him (Bridgette, Michelle) or were locks for Nicole anyway (Natalie). The only person who might have been swayed was maybe Day.

Also, did anyone get the sense that there was some fight backstage involving Michelle right before the show? She seemed visibly annoyed for the entire live portion of the show and even seemed snarky at Julie at one point when she was reading her question.

ETA: Of course, nitpicking Paul's answer to the vulgar comments question is missing the forest for the trees. Had he just taken James he probably would have won easily, and he doesn't really have any excuse for making such a stupid mistake other than clearly never watching a season finale of Big Brother before.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 22, 2016

• Locked thread