Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Eltoasto posted:

Dang Nicole, week 1 isn't the time for pawns.

Even better, pawns aren't needed when you have prime pick of over half a dozen people to put on the block, regardless of the week. Mind-blowingly bad gameplay in episode 2. Just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Is this season the most drastically different from broadcast to feed in recent memory? It feels that way to me. It feels like they are ignoring a lot of key drama to shoe horn their own story lines into the edit. Stuff always gets left out, but the last few seasons had been pretty good at showing when people were just being assholes or something.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

Although if Bridgette is playing Frank, it's masterful.

Unlikely, as there would be a DR with her basically saying this. Isn't she also a nurse? How are the two nurses in the house among the dumbest, most gullible people in the cast? I thought you had to be relatively smart to be a nurse. But I guess they also managed to cast the mathematician who couldn't win a basic addition based comp.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Is there a popularity chart like there was on previous seasons?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Frank hit rock bottom! And he was top 2! Glorious. I like that Frank is now less popular than someone who has been gone for 2 weeks. Also happy to see Bridgette falling.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The team immunity completely ruined a lot of potential for the coming week.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So they didn't really show any of the mean girl mentality the other HGs have shown for Tiff. It's weird seeing such padded edits for everyone when the past few seasons have had fun blowing horrible people up.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

What is the rule for the giant dice game? It has the same head to head style and is also usually a POV right? Did winner choose the next two? I can't remember.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So that fight with James and Natalie was pretty cut down. And I thought it was more about flirting than slop on the feeds. Michelle is also getting a very, VERY kind edit. Well so are Z and Da I guess, at this point.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I am kind of glad Tiff went home. She was pretty bad at the game, and was obviously miserable. She didn't really have anyone in the house, so coming back in would have been a huge waste unless she got lucky and won HOH.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So I guess the birthday drama isn't going to air, which isn't surprising at this point. The majority of the actual drama isn't making it to air at all. Coupled with bad gameplay all around, this is a really rough season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Teek posted:

Probably bull poo poo:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2016/07/big-brother-19-fall/

That doesn't leave much time to gut the house and remodel it with a new look.

Scheduled to begin immediately after this season ends? Unlikely. Also, I doubt BB is enough of a ratings powerhouse to take three time slots during the FALL season on CBS. Last time BB aired out of summer was due to the writer's strike and it was mid season anyway.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I wouldn't mind the streaming experiment, just to see if it is viable. I wonder if streaming only would change the atmosphere of the show, or if the budget would be severely reduced. Would it have a new host even? It's interesting if true. They could show much more stuff without being confined to the normal schedule.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

And they still haven't shown any of the abuse Bridgette has received, nor Michelle having a fit like a baby (with tears even) when people talk to the girls she doesn't like. This season is borderline out of line with the editing. It's like Evel Dick levels, but spread on nearly the whole cast. It's crazy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

"Celebrity"* Big Brother

*Only need to have been a contestant on normal BB or be related to a celeb.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The problem with casting a bunch of idiots is that they all clump together. Instead of having interesting players all trying to get each other out and making moves.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bagrada posted:

When you go vote it says what the next few are. Never Have Not this week, then Eliminate 2 Eviction Votes, Super Safety (safe + wear a stupid costume), co-HOH (1 of the votes), and BB Bribe ($5k to offer one other houseguest to influence them).

Those are better than almost any of the twists we have had recently.... We should have had this poo poo weeks ago.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Letting the audience give powers is definitely something that could have improved the show years ago, so it is weird that it took this long for them to finally cave in and do it. The show lives or dies on its audience commitment to it, especially with the feeds not being free, so why not give them some control over the show, instead of the dumb boring bullshit we get every year. It really sucks that they waited this long, because it probably won't shake out well for the audience, as everyone they like will be eliminated probably, and that will result in the producers deeming this a failure.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I hadn't realized when I said that that BB hosed it up by making it only one power per person. The way this is being deployed, it will almost certainly just gently caress up the game because a decent amount of the good poo poo will have to go to some assholes. It's like they realized they hosed up casting so bad that no one would vote for anyone but James and Nat.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Tide posted:

With any luck, the feed viewers vote in droves over the people that watch on TV.

Well there are 5 powers to give, and only 3 decent people in the game. One of whom has a chance of going home with no power, as she is on the block now. That means 2 or 3 powers must go to people like Day, Paul, Paulie, Corey, Michelle, etc.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The funny thing about that Star Trek show is that the only two die hard Trek fans I know both seem pessimistic as gently caress about it and don't seem to be looking forward to it at all. And in general, I don't know a single person who is hyped or optimistic about it in the way people are about Netflix or other streaming shows.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

obliriovrons posted:

I haven't had All Access for like a year, have they made it, like, more functional? That was a big hurdle for me, is that the entire thing was an ugly, difficult piece of garbage when I just want it to look and act like Netflix.

It was easy enough to teach my mother how to find the BB feeds, but I remember having problems last year too, now that you mention it. Finding full episodes of some shows was WAY more loving difficult than it needed to be.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Teek posted:

At least this year they have the All Access app semi-working with the feeds.

Edit: All Access Fall Season Officially Official: http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother/news/1005575/new-digital-edition-of-big-brother-coming-to-cbs-all-access-this-fall/

Sounds like the same crew are returning, including the producers and Julie. No mentioned of calling it "season 19" though...

No start date yet, but from what I've seen with studios like that (the house is literally just a studio building) they can pretty much clear and rebuild a lot of it extremely fast, as they would have pre-measured EVERYTHING in there. I doubt they would reuse the current design only if to avoid confusion. They probably want the house to look distinct enough so that a viewer at a glance can distinguish it from the previous season. Or they could be totally cheaping out and I'm wrong.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The editors are going to have to go from "how much are we going to cut to make these people look decent" to "there is literally not enough time for us to explain to you what has happened."

This is where we will see the true colors of the producers this season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

If Paulie wins the care package I might legit stop watching. It is atrocious that they left the votes open for that without showing even a portion of the poo poo that went down for the house flip.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Arcanen posted:

:cripes:

We've officially hit season 15 levels of awfulness at this point, right?

In a word, yes. Assuming they show it. If they water it down, it is because his family, who has already been defending him online, asked them to, which is bullshit, because his actions were enough to cause a bit of a stir on twitter, and that was just feed viewers watching some late night poo poo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Could anyone provide some background on what made Season 9 awful? I did some brief research and it looks like early on a Houseguest who would go on to win and use that money to start a drug ring had also made negative remarks about people with autism, and that there was also a really lovely gimmick question in an HOH comp. I'm wondering if there was any other major controversy I'm missing that made it the worst season, or if it was just unwatchably boring.

I am one of the people who feel 15 was truly worse than 9 in terms of people. 9 was a train wreck, and two of its contestants went on to get arrested for trafficking cocaine, but the behavior in the house was a fraction of what happened on 15. Literally every bad thing that happened in the house in 9 happened in 15 but more often and worse.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

All I remember about BB9 was that guy who was ranting at one HG that she should kill herself like her father did, the Boston douchebag who was slutshaming the crazy girl, and Chelseia throwing a temper tantrum when she got nominated.

I forgot about that first one.

But my point remains, the things that happened were similar to things that happened in 15, and 15 just had more awfulness in general.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's pretty much single-handedly ruined by the one win per HG rule. At the very least, they could have just had a "cooldown" rule where a HG can't win back to back powers.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

mancalamania posted:

I think a good way to fix the idea for future seasons and also solve the need-a-Sunday-comp problem is have a Sunday comp where the top 2 or 3 finishers in that comp are "nominated" for America's Care Package and the audience votes from Sunday night to, say, Tuesday night in the house.

The only reason the one-per-houseguest rule is in place it to prevent the same person from winning it every single week like the MVP. Tying the voting options to a comp prevents that, unless the most popular player can win that comp finish in the top 2-3 in that comp every single week. Limiting the number of options in the vote also prevents a fanbase from inadvertently splitting their vote across multiple people and letting someone win a package with like 15% of the total vote (something I fear may happen this week).

Comp monsters like Paulie would constantly be in the running. That is WORSE than the current situation, for the viewers, even if it is more "fair" for the players.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Eb posted:

I think the episode turned out pretty well, would rather have seen Natalie or Michelle gone than Bridgette but what can you do. At least some more people are realizing they are playing a game now. Should be pretty interesting how stuff plays out from here. Paulie looked pretty shellshocked the whole episode.

Well, wearing a sombrero is enough to cause a stir on Twitter, and while he's probably a bit of a tool I'm sure most of the Paulie stuff is the same overexaggerated fake outrage stuff you'd normally see there.

There is nothing over-exagerrated about the reaction to how he's behaved the past few days, unless you subscribe to the "lol everyone is so sensitive why can't people just be hateful assholes like the good ole days without someone crying about" way of thinking, in which case, Paulie would probably love to have a beer with you.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Snowmankilla posted:

poo poo, I read the spoilers thread and have not even seen that.

Happened very recently I think. But yeah, I doubt it gets shown for reasons that are dumb. They are definitely going to ply Paulie up as a villain going forward, since he keeps digging a deeper hole. It's funny because if he'd have calmed down by DE night, he might have gotten away relatively unscathed. But he's really making it unavoidable now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It is what it is.
It's a strategic move/It's just strategy. (strategy can be replaced with game/game move.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It could just as likely go the other way. They could cast crazier people since they would be censored less.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That was probably the nicest edit they could have given Paulie all things considered. They cut out hi MRA rantings, among other just generally disrespectful things he says. They also completely removed Michelle from the situation which is hilarious considering she and Nat were at the epicenter together.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah Nat and Michelle were given extremely weak edits and I think it actually does a big disservice to them. The door thing not making air is kind of ridiculous considering Michelle's apple throwing made it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Completely bullshit edit and I was right to think they were going to do it. This is why they need to abandon having people related to past HGs or even past HGs themselves on the show. I dunno why or how they care so much about Paulie, but here are somethings we didn't get to see this week.

He apparently hit Michelle with a door hard enough that Corey thought he might get thrown out.
On double eviction night, he made reference to his family kicking the girl's asses outside of the house. He later amended this to female family members.
He stuck the girl's pads and tampons to a wall and spelled out some kind of message with them. (didn't expect to see it, but still.)
Claiming he never tried to kick someone when they were down in this game, after noms, in response to Michelle laughing, despite him laughing at her nomination and also him planning to humiliate her during this week's noms (he thought she was going up.)
He told James he was booby blind, and when James told him that wasn't cool, his response was, "maybe I should have said booty blind."
The argument in the kitchen today had a major point of contention which was the fact that he made a final 3 with James and Corey AND a final 3 with Paul and Victor. He admitted there that he had been lying to Paul and Victor, which is why Paul says "but gently caress me right?"
He got caught in a bunch of lies because he kept running around the house giving sob story reasons and people kept calling him out on his dumb poo poo.
He claimed he was not going to stay at jury because of claustrophobia.
He brings up an aunt who has cancer as a reason to both stay in the game, and a reason to dodge jury.
He initially refused to get his costume and the producers had to somehow force him to do it.
After baking one pie, he refused the second call, resulting in them cutting to fish.
Crying and not wanting to sleep in a bed alone.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 18, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Arcanen posted:

A slightly different read on the edit:

Paulie is a misogynistic macho dude bro, and the people he likes seem to be the same. People who like him will tend to be the same incl. fans of his and his real life friends.

So rather than being "sympathetic", the edit he got last night is potentially the most damaging he could have possibly received. Because he was "crying like a little girl", and that won't go down well with the dudebro demographic he'll be returning to one he leaves the house. It'll be utter humiliation for him.

That's a very optimistic outlook. I highly doubt the producers are specifically editing him to hurt him with his bros back home and no one else. Bros aren't a big demo for the audience, who is what matters for ratings, and the edit they gave him played him as sympathetic, emotional, and an underdog to audience, most of whom will never touch the feeds. It was a complete bullshit edit meant to protect him and his family for some weird, as of yet unknown, bullshit reason.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Britt Burns posted:

Why do we keep watching this terrible show?! :psyduck:

There's nothing else on in the summer... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Have any jury buybacks been random games? I feel like they have all been beastable comps. Probably why Paulie didn't give a poo poo tonight. Who in the jury is going to beat him in a beastable comp at this point? The only chance is if Corey goes next week, or Victor.

• Locked thread