Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

That was a good read.

I think there's a certain amount of dissonance in there though. I believe you're casting The Block (this needs to catch on) as a metaphorical rejection of mathematical nerd basketball based around three point shooting, but in fact the block came, like most blocks, on a layup attempt. After all, Moreyball is about eliminating the midrange and not necessarily about increasing your average shot distance, although that seems to be a byproduct of putting it into practice. Maybe I'm simplifying the point you're making too much though.

Blocks on threes are rare, and they don't really register much because you have no idea if the shot was even close to going in. It's too bad there's no way to pin a weak three point shot at an invisible backboard in the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

Probably Magic posted:

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION AHEAD:

I'm still more fond of that block LeBron did on Tiago Splitter, because holy hell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI8-PbK1wmY

Agreedo, that block was amazing. It's unreal the strength it must have taken to counter the momentum of Splitter's arm+the ball in mid-air. The stakes weren't as high though since the game was already out of hand, and let's not forget Tiago got his revenge the year after (not on Lebron and I think maybe a goaltend(?), but still): https://youtube.com/watch?v=uFxH1-fPeXo

• Locked thread