Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
BREAKING STORY: Youtubers are lovely people, news at 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

They should have just made a movie and hosted it on Youtube. Views actually does equal money in their pocket at that point. Host it on their official channel. They had enough press that this would have gone over well. I'm chalking this up to people choosing the wrong medium for their art.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If your game is so boring that people just watch it on YouTube and don't want to play it for themselves, that's your fault for making a lovely game.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why didnt the new mirrors edge game turn out good either

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nanomashoes posted:

It's like 3 years late at this point and it's only going to be the greatest game ever made, not the potential greatest game possible, so people will be mad.
Barkley 2 is coming out 11/11/23. The promise has been made. Don't spread FUD. :argh:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Uncle Wemus posted:

Why didnt the new mirrors edge game turn out good either

my housemate bought it, the plot was like some rage against the machine lyrics with corporations owning everything and the corporation owned all the sheeple but youre not a sheeperson youre an indiivudal not like some corporation and usually idc about video game plot because it's a video game it's going to be an actual good story but it was bad for a videogame story (if you palyed videogames youll know this means REALLY BAD)

also there was a useless open world for some reason with a 30 second loading screen each time you died or reset which was often because the open world if full of time trials and other trash

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Popular Human posted:

While their complaints are a little naive, I do find it kind of upsetting that everyone seems to have made money off TDC except the people who actually made it. A bunch of popular LPers, Youtube itself - all of them got paid at least a little from all the clicks and ads, while the people who actually made the content are shut out. This seems to be a problem happening more and more lately - tube sites are full of people putting up music, movies and TV episodes without the creators' consent, allowing places like Youtube to make millions of dollars off other peoples' work.

Also, this:

...is just incredibly lovely behavior.

The people who made the content get the money from the people who bought the game to put it on youtube, and the people putting it on youtube are giving the content creators free advertising. Games are fundamentally different from movies / tv / music in that they (in theory) require actual interaction from the player, and thus simply watching a game is very different from playing it yourself.

Unless, of course, your game is just a simple linear story with no gameplay at all, in which case why make a game and not a movie?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ArtIsResistance posted:

my housemate bought it, the plot was like some rage against the machine lyrics with corporations owning everything and the corporation owned all the sheeple but youre not a sheeperson youre an indiivudal not like some corporation and usually idc about video game plot because it's a video game it's going to be an actual good story but it was bad for a videogame story (if you palyed videogames youll know this means REALLY BAD)

also there was a useless open world for some reason with a 30 second loading screen each time you died or reset which was often because the open world if full of time trials and other trash

Sounds like Mirrors Edge, so it's just more of the same.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
seems like the trick is to invent ur own game and then LP streams of it on ur own video hosting site. u own the entire supply chain.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

bring back old gbs posted:

seems like the trick is to invent ur own game and then LP streams of it on ur own video hosting site. u own the entire supply chain.

have you heard of live coding?

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

ArtIsResistance posted:

the original was like that too (super garbo story), but people pretended it was genius storytelling because they'd vaguely heard of the writer lady and EA spent a lot of time hyping her up

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Didn't EA end up taking most of the script the writer made and throwing it in the garbage?

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

I'm Crap posted:

the original was like that too (super garbo story), but people pretended it was genius storytelling because they'd vaguely heard of the writer lady and EA spent a lot of time hyping her up

I don't even know what the story for the first one is. I just skipped all the cutscenes and parkoured all over the place. I mean the last level was kind of dumb where you had to parkour your way through a bunch of snipers and SWAT guys. They should have made it like some kind of Jet Set Radio type game where you just spray graffiti all over the place, and you get achievements for tagging really hard to get to areas. Doesn't need to be some stupid high minded story about the man with his boot on the neck of the people.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The story was some vague "corporations bad" sci-fi trope, except that the city looked pretty clean and orderly and your resistance group was clearly up to shady poo poo so I don't get what they were going for.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

have you heard of live coding?

i have now. off to the patent office.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
mighty no. bad videogame

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Putty posted:

mighty no. bad videogame

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

CharlestonJew posted:

Didn't EA end up taking most of the script the writer made and throwing it in the garbage?

Probably, EA poisons every IP they touch lately.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jose Oquendo posted:

At this point you're loving retarded if you crowd fund a game, especially one from a person already in the industry. They know publishers won't fund their piece of poo poo projects so get nostalgic nerds to pay for it.

There's a handful of exception devs but the market is overcrowded with assholes

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

Probably, EA poisons every IP they touch lately.

EA stood looking at Star Wars and Battlefield, and the Battlefront license.. but only they had the EAness to declare "We will not make this game like Battlefield OR Battlefront, and we will not finish the game. We will make an early 2000s quartermuncher arcade game. This is the best idea ever!"

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I don't mind shelling out a few bucks for a game that isn't finished yet. Rim World, Prison Architect, Kerbal Space Program... all those treated me well (there are others that I can't think of right now). But, I felt comfortable putting down $10-20 because I already had a game in hand I was having fun with.

Giving money for a project sight unseen based entirely off promises and some concept art is silly.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ED: Double posted because I'm an idiot

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

I don't mind shelling out a few bucks for a game that isn't finished yet. Rim World, Prison Architect, Kerbal Space Program... all those treated me well (there are others that I can't think of right now). But, I felt comfortable putting down $10-20 because I already had a game in hand I was having fun with.

Giving money for a project sight unseen based entirely off promises and some concept art is silly.

I gave Harebrained $25 for the new Btech game they're doing, but they proved themselves with Shadowrun.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Popular Human posted:

While their complaints are a little naive, I do find it kind of upsetting that everyone seems to have made money off TDC except the people who actually made it. A bunch of popular LPers, Youtube itself - all of them got paid at least a little from all the clicks and ads, while the people who actually made the content are shut out. This seems to be a problem happening more and more lately - tube sites are full of people putting up music, movies and TV episodes without the creators' consent, allowing places like Youtube to make millions of dollars off other peoples' work.

Also, this:

...is just incredibly lovely behavior.

Its confusing that theres not some middle ground like how blockbuster used to have to buy rental editions of games or movies (if I'm not mistaken). Like charge streamers a license where it's $200 or something, or scales based on views.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Blazing Ownager posted:

I gave Harebrained $25 for the new Btech game they're doing, but they proved themselves with Shadowrun.

Eh fair enough.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Comcept is releasing the backer exclusive in game stuff as dlc

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

i skipped most of this thread so has anyone else mentioned that the final boss of the game looks like a gastly with diarrhea? (and way too much hp)

Blazing Ownager posted:

I still think the way to go with kickstarter gaming is to buy the good ones after they release.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

akulanization posted:

i skipped most of this thread so has anyone else mentioned that the final boss of the game looks like a gastly with diarrhea? (and way too much hp)

I still think the way to go with kickstarter gaming is to buy the good ones after they release.

You mean being a smarter buyer? Surely you expect too much.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So did the translator actually get fired?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Tunicate posted:

So did the translator actually get fired?

The translator, to my knowledge, was Ben Judd. He worked at Capcom for many years, was the original voice for Phoenix Wright, and was a producer for Bionic Commando: Rearmed. He's pretty integral to most of the back-and-forth between Inti Creates, Comcept, and Keiji Inafune. He would be pretty hard to get rid of because he's pretty big friends with everyone involved in this nightmare.

That said, he needs to actually provide proper translations when he's speaking for other people in important matters like this, because hooooly poo poo. I think that he's fine when he's just shooting the poo poo, but this was a translation mistake of disastrous proportions when he was speaking on behalf of Inafune.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
So wasn't their supposed to be a making of documentary that was part of the stretch goals being hit?

C'mon guys... chop-chop

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I've met Judd a few times, he is cool and his Japanese ability is phenomenal, but yeah this interpretation was pretty liberal

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Stoat posted:

I've met Judd a few times, he is cool and his Japanese ability is phenomenal, but yeah this interpretation was pretty liberal

he seems cool and I'm grateful for his involvement in getting Bloodstained kickstarted but that seems to be the case. :( That mistranslation was the last thing they needed at the time.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

akulanization posted:

If that works for you, go for it. They'll never be funded without chumpsinvestors, though.

Mighty No 9 is kind of a disappointment, but Wasteland 2, all 3 new Shadowrun games, and Pillars of Eternity are all pretty good, so the scales haven't tipped just yet for me on Kickstarters.

Gotta have a good eye for these things, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
The first Shadowrun game was kinda lame, but I think Harebrained Schemes were pushing the potential for user-made content pretty hard at that point so they were fine with a generic base campaign. Dragonfall and Hong Kong were great once they got over that.

• Locked thread