Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

argondamn posted:

Quest 64 is a cool game and I mean this unironically.

Agreed, but it's such a terrible game too.

But goddammit I want someone that remake it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Tranny Gladiator seems like a loving awesome game.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zorodius posted:

the art in 20XX looks really bad, like notebook doodle bad

The trailer I saw doesn't look that bad, but tbh I could barely see the characters behind all the beams and poo poo. Do you have any higher detail images?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Applewhite posted:

The trailer I saw doesn't look that bad, but tbh I could barely see the characters behind all the beams and poo poo. Do you have any higher detail images?

the art is fine. not amazing. just fine.

the game is still undergoing changes. three bosses were overhauled recently. also a lot of icons and font changes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Serious Frolicking posted:

that last boss fight looked so lovely. swiffing with a sword at projectiles with no indication that they were being affected in any way. they just passed through normally with no animation or sound effect to indicate they had been nullified. also, the boss model looked like it belonged in a gamecube game.

Except the GameCube had extremely nice graphics, maybe you're thinking of the N64.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Heath posted:

You know you hosed up when your assets look worse than the pack-ins that came with your software. At one point I saw this

Which if it had been rendered in a high quality animated format in this style would have been pretty well regarded even if the gameplay was simply an okay Mega Man clone. It is startling how much more dynamic and charming that still image concept art is than the actual product turned out to be in motion.

that's why you don't buy into a game when all you've got to go off of is a single pretty jpg

cuz then you get star citizen

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

CharlestonJew posted:

that's why you don't buy into a game when all you've got to go off of is a single pretty jpg

It get even worse: This is the Unreal Engine Visulation Test they did in 7 days using stock assitst that looks like that picture in motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXDiQrgI6M

So after two years and 4 million dollars they made a product worse then what was the earliest of Alpha builds.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

IDK I watched the video and it looks like a megaman game? Do people have some weird memories that they were more than some little cartoon guy running around and jumping?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BexGu posted:

It get even worse: This is the Unreal Engine Visulation Test they did in 7 days using stock assitst that looks like that picture in motion

So after two years and 4 million dollars they made a product worse then what was the earliest of Alpha builds.

Apparently trying to support so many platforms hosed it....I am not so sure.....

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

I've never paid money to a kickstarter ever. Idea people are human garbage. Make a goddamn game then sell the goddamn game. Jesus H.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

spud posted:

Apparently trying to support so many platforms hosed it....I am not so sure.....

Gotta get that OUYA crowd a library somehow.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i just successfully executed the hadoken-kill on sigma and his dog

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

FuhrerHat posted:

i just successfully executed the hadoken-kill on sigma and his dog

Good Game. Final Phase is kind of hard though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
http://store.steampowered.com/app/314710/

quote:

Mighty No. 9 is a 2D Side-scrolling Action game that takes the best elements from 8 and 16-bit classics that you know and love and transforms them with modern tech, fresh mechanics, and fan input into something fresh and amazing!
User reviews:
Overall:
Mixed (1,096 reviews)
Release Date: Jun 21, 2016]/quote]

[quote]Not Recommended
10.6 hrs on record
Posted: June 26
Still playing it to the end, but WTF is that?

Almost 4.000.000,00 wasnt enough to a good side-scrolling action?

Shovel Knight is a way much better than this and only costes us 311.502. Think about it.

Sorry, but I'm really disappointed : /

quote:

Not Recommended
0.7 hrs on record
Okay before I do this review I want to make something perfectly clear:
KICKSTARTER IS NOT A PREORDER PLATFORM. IT IS AN INVESTMENT PLATFORM. ANYBODY WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS LYING OR SORELY MISTAKEN.

With that said, I also backed this game on Kickstarter. I mourned the loss of the megaman series at the time and wanted to see what Keiji Inafune could do if given creative freedom to make the game he wanted to, and without Capcom's interference.

WELL BOY HOWDY I GUESS I GOT TO SEE THAT :|

sigh. Pizza explosions: Real.
Terrible voice acting: Real.
A cute character utterly gutted of any personality and interesting details: Real.
Floaty controls: Real.
Terrible animations: Real.
Godawful stage backgrounds (no wonder they had the embargo not to show stages like the oil refinery. christ...): Real.
Kinda naffy music that wouldn't have been out of place in the 90s but feels really dated here: Real.
Placeholder/alpha looking assets that are sadly final: Real.

I suppose if you strip away all those elements there's the potential for a good game. The absorbtion mechanic is pretty cool, the shot powerup you can get from absorbing certain enemies is pretty cool too. It is however seemingly utterly random what powerup you get from them, so there's no way to plan around it. Turns out it is actually set what powerups you get from certain enemies. I didn't see a tutorial on this however, or any indication which ones give what powerups and under what conditions though, and personally I find the icons a little hard to distinguish at times. Others may find it easier, and with time you'll probably get used to the mechanic.

I wanted to give this more time to play and get to grips with this game, maybe find the good points of it, but given how grating everything you are assaulted with WITHIN THE FIRST FORTY MINUTES, I can fully understand why people aren't recommending this...

And that's why i can't recommend it either.

If this is the best that Inafune can come up with, with the huge budget KS gave him, and without Capcom's interference... maybe they were right to can all the megaman games.

quote:

Not Recommended
5.0 hrs on record
I've been trying really hard to enjoy this game, but It's testing my patience.

It takes all of the most anti-fun gimmicks from Mega man, and puts them all in once place. Instant death platforming, cheeseball enemy placement, some of the power ups feel entirely worthless save for trying to quick kill a boss before they can scum you out, some of the boss attacks feel literally undodgable if you're less than a speedrunner.

Honestly? I can see why the "Hard mode" is one hit kills. Because it literally doesn't matter. Everything pretty much kills you in one hit anyway.

It plays fine, and looks fine, but the design is terrible. I'd advise getting it as cheap as possible, cause I really don't feeel it's worth $20.

Sorry guys.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Borden posted:

I've never paid money to a kickstarter ever. Idea people are human garbage. Make a goddamn game then sell the goddamn game. Jesus H.

The only kickstarter money I ever spent was for people making a game about their kid who died from cancer. I donated, never played it, don't want to, and I hope it helped them get through it.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

natetimm posted:

The only kickstarter money I ever spent was for people making a game about their kid who died from cancer. I donated, never played it, don't want to, and I hope it helped them get through it.

was that 'That Dragon Cancer'? Cause the guy who made that turned out to be a douchebag who insisted his game was high art and claimed LPers were stealing his game.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Borden posted:

was that 'That Dragon Cancer'? Cause the guy who made that turned out to be a douchebag who insisted his game was high art and claimed LPers were stealing his game.

That was the game and yes the people who made it were weirdo hipsters trying to make art who were almost industry darlings but then they turned out to also be religious and have undertones of that in their game so people turned on them. Also, there's supposedly not a lot of actual gameplay in it, so I could see where LPing it would prevent someone from buying it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
here's my legacy to my dead gay son: a bad videogame

rest in peace my child

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How are we going to spend our dying child's last few years / months alive? Let's make a video game and tell as many people about it as we can.

I mean everyone deals with grief in their own way but profiting off of your dying kid's cancer is a little bit tacky.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

natetimm posted:

That was the game and yes the people who made it were weirdo hipsters trying to make art who were almost industry darlings but then they turned out to also be religious and have undertones of that in their game so people turned on them. Also, there's supposedly not a lot of actual gameplay in it, so I could see where LPing it would prevent someone from buying it.

They did a thing on NPR about it and the creator was describing how basically nothing works. Like absolutely nothing. You can do nothing to console your dying child except pray. I get you want to make a 'not game but exeprience' but there are times when maybe you should just make a movie. You have animation software and can animate. Go to it. Tell your story.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
It was supposedly a labor of love and the kid was already dead. Nobody ended up millionaires over it or anything. I'm not going to judge someone's grieving process when they lose a toddler to cancer and if they want to make something artistic about it that's fine.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Borden posted:

They did a thing on NPR about it and the creator was describing how basically nothing works. Like absolutely nothing. You can do nothing to console your dying child except pray. I get you want to make a 'not game but exeprience' but there are times when maybe you should just make a movie. You have animation software and can animate. Go to it. Tell your story.

I have a buddy who died from chemotherapy at 39 when it wiped out his immune system I can only imagine what it's like with a toddler. Simply having kids makes most of the people I know go a little bit crazy, I can't imagine what watching one waste away in front of you and die while you're powerless to stop it does to you mentally.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
evidently it makes you incredibly pretentious

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Borden posted:

Something like that works when it's used to subvert expectations or as a dramatic ending, if the whole game was like that then it's retarded. A good example is the end of Shadow of the Colossus where you can never reach your target no matter how hard or long you try, but that was at the end of a game where you had full control over the character.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bill NYSE posted:

Gotta get that OUYA crowd a library somehow.

Was this released on OUYA?

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

natetimm posted:

It was supposedly a labor of love and the kid was already dead. Nobody ended up millionaires over it or anything. I'm not going to judge someone's grieving process when they lose a toddler to cancer and if they want to make something artistic about it that's fine.

I'm all for making art in whatever medium you want. Just goddamn understand that if you make a game people like this WILL play it, and you can't really get upset about it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJbwy459VkY

I mean to be fair he's pretty moved by the whole game. SO.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Borden posted:

I'm all for making art in whatever medium you want. Just goddamn understand that if you make a game people like this WILL play it, and you can't really get upset about it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJbwy459VkY

I mean to be fair he's pretty moved by the whole game. SO.

I got about 3 seconds in and then my vision went red and I was consumed by a desire to light that green shock of lovely hair on fire and throw him off a cliff.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

IDK I watched the video and it looks like a megaman game? Do people have some weird memories that they were more than some little cartoon guy running around and jumping?

I know understanding things is hard but this is a lovely, unfun version of what you described.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

natetimm posted:

The idea of ppl complaining that ur stealing their "grieving process" that you made w/ donation money.... seems off.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Speaking of Kickstarter games, I just finished The Way and it was really beautiful and good.
Let me tell you though you really want to play it with auto run mode "on" because I didn't know that setting existed so I had to hold the shift key down whenever I wanted to run, which was every second of the game.
The pain in my pinkie and ring fingers really distracted me from the beautiful artwork and smooth animations.

CONS: the puzzles were tedious and unrewarding. Half the time the big problem wasn't solving them as much as it was sitting through the awkward process of making your character do what your brain has already figured out. Maybe it's easier when you don't have at least one finger on the shift key at all times but the puzzles that weren't too easy were too hard by virtue of being overly precise.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Because I backed Mighty Number Nine, I also got the Ray DLC. I chose Xbox One as my platform.

Guess what? The Ray DLC was broken until today. (Yeah, yeah, it matches the Bone, wrong RAM, whatever.) it downloaded but want recognized. I think the Retro Hero DLC is broken too but seriously who even gives a gently caress about that.

The Ray campaign seems fun if you're a masochist. You're basically Zero from Mega Man X but the nipple gems mean you're a girl and you have a claw instead of a sword and a CONTINUALLY DRANING health bar. Waiting out boss patterns won't even work, you're dead in well under a minute if you're not constantly outputting damage.

Well that's my Mighty Number Nine story, thanks for reading.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

BexGu posted:

Unreal Engine lightign is really good at making something that is poo poo look good

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Ork of Fiction posted:

The idea of ppl complaining that ur stealing their "grieving process" that you made w/ donation money.... seems off.

The game is basically just a bunch of scenes you navigate around in while they're happening. There's zero replay value to the game and almost no gameplay, so a Let's Play is essentially giving the entire thing away. It's like if someone did a Let's Play or a Rifftrax of a movie that came out this week.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

BexGu posted:

That looks like UE4, but everything now says the final build is on UE3, and UE4 being loving free beyond royalties should imply that this isn't something they did in the name of corner-cutting because $

I'm guessing they made a mock-up in the epic games launcher UDK only to realize that they have zero experience in anything other than UE3, mostly when it comes to porting, as the wii u can barely handle UE3 ports of ancient games as it is

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

That looks like UE4, but everything now says the final build is on UE3, and UE4 being loving free beyond royalties should imply that this isn't something they did in the name of corner-cutting because $

I'm guessing they made a mock-up in the epic games launcher UDK only to realize that they have zero experience in anything other than UE3, mostly when it comes to porting, as the wii u can barely handle UE3 ports of ancient games as it is

iirc ue4 hadn't even been announced yet when the kickstarter happened

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

natetimm posted:

they complained publically about youtubers and streamers cutting into their profits, and it wasn't just one guy but a team of seven people who apparently expected a return on it

http://www.thatdragoncancer.com/thatdragoncancer/2016/3/24/on-lets-plays

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Guided arthouse/walking simulators are notoriously profitable

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Yeah, a retard right, UE4 was not released until Sept 2014 and this was published on Sept 2013. I'm not familiar with engine but that seems to make it WORSE if UE3 does not port well since the major focus of this game appears to be focused on getting it on as many systems as possible.

Newest rumor is that $60 kickstarter backer only skins are going to be sold through the MS store as DLC. Now this could just be a way to handle the DLC or Inti Creates is really trying to squeeze out as much money as possible.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

BattleMaster posted:

they complained publically about youtubers and streamers cutting into their profits, and it wasn't just one guy but a team of seven people who apparently expected a return on it

http://www.thatdragoncancer.com/thatdragoncancer/2016/3/24/on-lets-plays

While their complaints are a little naive, I do find it kind of upsetting that everyone seems to have made money off TDC except the people who actually made it. A bunch of popular LPers, Youtube itself - all of them got paid at least a little from all the clicks and ads, while the people who actually made the content are shut out. This seems to be a problem happening more and more lately - tube sites are full of people putting up music, movies and TV episodes without the creators' consent, allowing places like Youtube to make millions of dollars off other peoples' work.

Also, this:

quote:

We’ve also seen many, many Let’s Players post entire playthroughs of our game, posting links to all of their own social channels and all of their own merchandising and leaving out a link to our site.

...is just incredibly lovely behavior.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Question, is this better or worse than Takedown Red Sabre?

• Locked thread