Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/790541911887060992

I have a good feeling about this, how many times do we play the Shanghai Sharks during the NBA season?

Well, they do play the Pels four times, which should help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Papes posted:

Did you forget about the curry injury?

I honestly am not sure if you're making fun of GSW apologists or not, but if a team is not able to overcome that kind of late season wear and tear then they probably won't dominate the playoffs. That's not rooting for an injury, that's just how the game works.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lockback posted:

I think the other way, a guy who relies on his physical talents but that isn't enough in the NBA. Javale McGee or Alonzo Gee or someone. I mean, Beas was the Chinese MVP (foreign players) and averaged 31/14/3/2/1.
When I think of AAAA type players you get a mix of both good athletes with limited skillsets and bad athletes with not quite enough skills to make it.

But then I don't think Fredette was done in by a lack of athleticism and I only sort of agree on Morrison, in that he didn't have the athleticism in addition to not having the skills, and then he got horribly injured.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I don't know, I think EuroLeague is too high a level for someone like Beasley to dominate, although tbh I have only see a few games recently. But the last 5 EuroLeague MVPs have been old AK47, Spanoulis, Sergio Rodriguez, Bjelica, and Nando de Colo. If a physical freak was able to dominate like you suggest, I think we would see a physical freak MVP. Instead you have Jan Vesely averaging 12pts a game (albeit on good shooting).
Kirilenko was absolutely a physical freak.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Anyone need a guard?

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/790640599758168064

I like Archie, hopefully he lands on a team that gives him some minutes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Everything coming up Sixers !!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Kibner posted:

Well, they do play the Pels four times, which should help.

Hahaha aww :(

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Anyone need a guard?

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/790640599758168064

I like Archie, hopefully he lands on a team that gives him some minutes

Oh wow, Dejan and I were just talking about him and his crazy couple of weeks last year where he averaged like 20-25 ppg before Booker started revealing his true self. He'll get picked up quickly

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wasn't Archie untouchable last season in trade talks?

But man some young guards on the waivers who theoretically fit a need. So I'm sure Vlade will stand pat and try to reclaim Farmar and Lawson's careers

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

Hahaha aww :(

I love my dumb, bad team.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/okcthunder/status/790620857374683136?s=09

Bye Mitch

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers better pick up Archie .

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
GSW being what it is doesn't really bother me. My team wasn't going to be winning an NBA title in the prior few years or the next few years really, but we're fun to watch and improving a lot every year.

I mean, realistically, most fan's teams aren't winning a title in a given season so if removing the possibility of that removes your enjoyment of the game go be a fan of tic tac toe or something

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The 10 years or so between the Shaq/Kobe lakers and the Heat Big 3 were probably the golden age of NBA parity.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Sixers better pick up Archie .

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shear Modulus posted:

The 10 years or so between the Shaq/Kobe lakers and the Heat Big 3 were probably the golden age of NBA parity.

It was six years and ehhhhh

Props Department
Jul 10, 2007

creamed corn & confucius
I will never be able to hear the name Archie Goodwin without thinking of Jon Bois calling him "the baby Diego of the NBA" in that hilarious piece where he put useless players in the 2K draft class every year.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

yup. but lol, the east still sucked big time. so i guess its somewhat overrated. but the competition in the west was anyone's game so in raw numbers of contenders its was great. plus, i guess the heat did manage to win once, controversially (and boston)

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

IcePhoenix posted:

It was six years and ehhhhh

yeah that great parity where the spurs went twice and the lakers still went 3 times

agreed though that if you ignore the celtics going twice, the east was kinda competitive

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The Suns were a terrible team last year and Goodwin was one of their most terrible players who saw regular minutes. The idea that he's going to have a lot of offers around the league based on interest in his performance is kind of laughable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shear Modulus posted:

That's some bashez levels of trolling.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Shear Modulus posted:

8 different teams won a championship in the 70s

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shear Modulus posted:

We've just had 6 distinct champions in the last 7 years. The current Champion never won a championship and the team before hadn't won since 1975.

Despite all the hand-wringing the parity in the NBA is pretty decent right now. It's basketball, so it won't be a toss-up every year like the NFL and MLB sometimes are, but looking at the wider view its a lot better than it historically has been.*

*Edit for Dokmo: Post cocaine-fueled era.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

dokmo posted:

8 different teams won a championship in the 70s

What you're saying is we need another ABA to siphon off talent.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Parity is when my team wins

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

It's legit the worst it's ever been, so far it's been a bad change, but mayybe they'll get there.

humpthewind posted:

In shooters who can't shoot news, Anthony brown was cut from the Lakers today in favor of Thomas Robinson and MWP. Boy has his stock plummeted.

This was unexpected based on the contact situation but probably the right move based on basketball.

Anthony Brown's whole role with the team was based on the idea that Nick Young was unusable and the fact that the Lakers are running an offense where Young has a green light again made it tough for Brown to make the team.

Libertine posted:

The Suns were a terrible team last year and Goodwin was one of their most terrible players who saw regular minutes. The idea that he's going to have a lot of offers around the league based on interest in his performance is kind of laughable.

What evidence do you have to support this?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Libertine posted:

While I don't disagree, the teams being brought up to grab him would do so on the chance a change of scenery helps him a bit. It's a gamble worth taking because he has shown flashes in the past

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's official: Metta World Peace has made the Lakers' 15-man roster. Ditto for Thomas Robinson. L.A. makes room by releasing Anthony Brown.

I had no ide Metta was older than his coach.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

What evidence do you have to support this?

Goodwin ranked dead last in RPM last year for SGs:
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2016/page/3/sort/RPM/position/2

Some of that was the fact that the Suns were, in fact, terrible last year and their backcourt play was more focused on giving young guys minutes rather than trying to win games. But Booker was still like -1.5 pts below Nik Stauskus. That is not where you want to be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tae posted:

Parity is when my team wins

So parity is a myth!

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

I mean poo poo, I'd give a few of the guys released today Metta's spot on the roster, including Goodwin.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Libertine posted:

He's a great athlete and he gets to the rim at will. There is Potential but I guess they see him as more Tony Wroten than Tyreke Evans

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I wouldn't mind the bulls taking a flyer on Goodwin.

Sign everyone in the world who can't shoot.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I mean he has potential, he's young (22) and he probably still needs some refinement but he's also been in the league for 3 years and is already on a team in a situation that should be ideal for him to get minutes and develop and he hasn't, so I'm not sure that a change of scenery is going to really make much of a difference. I don't have anything against the guy, but yeah his performance numbers are terrible and Phoenix is a young team actively trying to develop young players and they decided they don't want him. Those are two big red flags.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

humpthewind posted:

I mean poo poo, I'd give a few of the guys released today Metta's spot on the roster, including Goodwin.

I would rather have Archie than Metta but not Yi or Brown instead of Metta, if that makes sense.

Lockback posted:

Goodwin ranked dead last in RPM last year for SGs:
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2016/page/3/sort/RPM/position/2

Some of that was the fact that the Suns were, in fact, terrible last year and their backcourt play was more focused on giving young guys minutes rather than trying to win games. But Booker was still like -1.5 pts below Nik Stauskus. That is not where you want to be.

I'm sealioning.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Is Trevor Booker (Brooklyn Nets) Devin Booker(Phoenix Suns)'s father?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Libertine posted:

I mean he has potential, he's young (22) and he probably still needs some refinement but he's also been in the league for 3 years and is already on a team in a situation that should be ideal for him to get minutes and develop and he hasn't, so I'm not sure that a change of scenery is going to really make much of a difference. I don't have anything against the guy, but yeah his performance numbers are terrible and Phoenix is a young team actively trying to develop young players and they decided they don't want him. Those are two big red flags.

Except he never actually really got a shot to play minutes and develop. He's been the third or fourth SG on a team that didn't even really play shooting guards under Hornacek, and the second he got a chance under Earl, he had a much younger player emerge and take his spot (deservedly so, but it really stopped the whole development train in him). He basically had like a two week stretch where someone said "all right kid go out there and learn and it's OK if you make some mistakes."

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/790662240714317827

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
RIP Rockets team dad Prigioni

I'm sure we'll get some convoluted explanation of how this frees up $67.5 of cap space two years from now or something

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love Tony Wroten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Rick posted:

I would rather have Archie than Metta but not Yi or Brown instead of Metta, if that makes sense.

It does and I agree. Metta is a known quantity who could be made a special assistant or something if they want to keep him around for training purposes or whatever.

Players I would have on the roster before Metta that were released lately:

Alonzo Gee
Archie Goodwin
Cleanthony Early
Mitch McGary

• Locked thread