Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Madden NFL 17
Release Date - August 23rd, 2016
Platforms - PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360

Pricing and Preorder Bonuses

All Retailers, Physical and Digital
$59.99 USD Standard Edition - Pre-order copy will recieve up to $15 in bonus content including nine Madden NFL 17 Ranked tickets, and up to seven Madden NFL 17 Ultimate Team Pro Packs.
$79.99 USD Deluxe Edition - Get up to $50 in additional value bonus content including 30 Madden NFL Ranked tickets, and up to 10 Madden NFL Ultimate Team All Pro Packs.

Online Stores only - :siren: YOU WILL ONLY GET A COUPLE PACKS PER WEEK:siren:
PSN - $99.99 Super Deluxe Edition - You a Madden NFL 17 theme as well as additional value including 30 Madden NFL Ranked tickets and up to 30 Madden NFL Ultimate Team All Pro Packs.
Xbox Games - $99.99 - Super Deluxe Edition - Get a one month EA Access trial as well as additional value including 30 Madden NFL Ranked tickets and up to 30 Madden NFL Ultimate Team All Pro Packs.

The prelaunch advertising blitz is in full effect for Madden 17, and enough information is out to make a new thread to condense it all, and give us all a place to shitpost about the new game.

We'll kick this off going over the meat of the game, the mechanics. Since that's what most of us care about, aside from Franchise improvements.

New Features

:siren: New features are exclusive to PS4 and Xbox One. Last gen likely just gets a shined up version of M15 with new rosters and MUT. EA didn't bring any of last year's improvents to last gen, either. :siren:

:killdozer: Defense :zerg:

EA is touting a few improvements on defense this year - specifically, looking to work on improving gap play, and reducing the effectiveness of all those cheap rear end nano and turbo blitzes that powergamers will eventually find and exploit anyway.

Gap Play - Defenders can be assigned different gap assignments to better attempt run containment, allowing inner gap shots, outside run coverages, etc. In theory, this will help reduce the insane effectiveness of Inside/Outside Zone run plays, but we'll need to get our hands on the game to better determine that. Early game play videos don't look all that much different, but nobody has had much time to dig in yet

Improved Zone Coverage - EA is touting an overhaul of Zone Coverage this year. There is apparently 8 new types of zone coverage being introduced, with the ability to set defenders to better match up in the zones receivers will be running their routes in. Hopefully, this means the nearly uncoverable slants and drags will see some opposition this year, as a West Coast offense was incredibly to hard to stop and get turnovers on.

:derp:Special Teams:derp: - New kick meter coming this year, which is reminiscent of older kick meters! An Ice the Kicker mechanic is coming on (likely similar to NCAA 14's ITK mechanic, which effectiveness is questonable, as in real life). EA is promising a new mechanic to block kicks, and is saying we'll see a greater variety of trick plays. Hopefully this year running kicks back isn't as impossible as it was in the last two generations on PS4 - Xbox One.

:histdowns:Offense:histdowns:

Ball Carrier Controls - We are supposedly seeing an improved run game this year. The last couple years, most running backs all felt very similar in performance whether they were a power back or a speed back. The intention this year is that power backs will feel much more like Power Backs, as will Speed backs be more elusive and nimble. Todd Gurley should be more of a trucking machine than LeSean McCoy is, and the last few years not much difference was felt (anecdote - I run the ball a poo poo ton, and was putting up 2700 yard seasons with Bishop loving Sankey in goon leagues). EA is promising better prompts to make cuts, as well as guidance on running lanes during trainings (not sure if this applies to games.) For the lesser skilled folks on lower difficult, just handing off lets the CPU do the work for you.

Passing Game Refinement - Last year dramatically overhauled the passing system, and Aggressive Catch was the bane of online games everywhere. You could send out 5'10" Desean Jackson on streaks and holding Triangle/Y would let him Moss defenders just as well as 6'5" Calvin Johnson could. EA is promising this year to improve on this, by taking into account receiver stats for Spectacular Catching and Jumping, to have more influence on this to help dial down some of the crazy. This one will remain to be seen.

Now, to what a lot of us care about here JOIN SASFL

Franchise

EA has released a few bits of info for franchise improvements, which seem focused so far around a few key areas.

Game Prep - Game prep will continue to be the mechanic to earn XP and confidence for your players. This year, a new feature is added that can help you prepare for your upcoming oppenents (CPU or Human) based on their playcalling tendencies! Does your opponent love to sit in Cover 3? The mode will provide drills to work with your defense on stopping Cover 3. This is actually a pretty nice evolution of the system.

A benefit of executing the drills that can contribute to gameplanning your opponent, is that you may get a small boost to execution of certain plays you practiced that counter opponent tendencies. I am worried this may be kind of broken, but it's unclear what kind of boost is available at this time. If they pull it off though, it's definitely a welcome addition.

Play the Moments - This feature is one I am actually very excited for. In the past, simming through CPU games often felt like the worst, but predetermined RNG ever. Multiple 15 yard penalties, 80+ yard runs, constant 3 and outs - it was truly awful. This year, Key Moments helps to alleviate some of this, and make the slog of CPU games during online seasons, or solo play, much more enjoyable! The game will sim to Key Moments of the game that can have a huge impact either way (stop your opponent on a goal line. Convert a key 3rd and long. Go for it on 4th while down by a FG. Play a crucial half down by 2 scores. It can probably go on and on.) The game will stop the sim, and give you the option to play the Moment, or just the sim keep going. Once you complete (or fail, you scrub) the scenario, the sim will pick right back up.

Player Development

Dynamic Development - EA is promising more benefits to development levels this year. In the past, Superstars just got more XP than a Slow developer. This year, Superstars will be able to last longer in the league, whereas Slow developers may actually have a chance to bust out and leave early. If a player who is not a superstar has a breakout season, there's a very good chance they can increase their development the next season, instead of spending XP for it. Good news for the SASFL tendency to feature UDFAs :haw:

My only hope is that EA gets a better balancing for XP gains right off the bat this year. Last year, XP gain was nonexistent for the first few months of the year, and wasn't reconsidered until December. Developing depth was difficult. I would really like to see an XP gain that allows Depth development without the whole team becoming superstars, which their update was able to provide.

They are indicating you can focus up to 3 players for XP per week, in additional to regular Game Prep XP, so this may help alleviate some of that concern, depending on tuning.

Big Decisions - Another new feature this year is the implementation of Big Decisions, and to be frank, it's a pretty big overhaul. There's quite a few aspects to it.

Coach goals - In previous CFMs, your season goals were automatically assigned by the CPU, and were quite honestly, pretty arbitrary and seemingly only based on the OVR of your team. This year, you get to set those goals for your coach yourself. Feeling like a juggernaut? Set you sights on the Super Bowl. Suck horribly? Shoot for 7 wins. If you miss goals, as always you increase the chance to get fired, but will get more XP back if you meet and exceed them.

:romo:Injuries:romo: - While injuries will remain random as ever this year, and I haven't heard anything if offensive lineman will stop being invincible,(Scud? can you confirm/deny?) but a new feature this year is the ability to bring a player back before the full duration of their recovery time. Need your star QB 2 weeks before he's ready? You can make the decision to start him ahead of recovery, at the risk of further injury. The game will show you the performance with and without an injured player to help make that decision.

Getting New Players - The Free Agency and Trade menus have been replaced with an Acquisitions menu (no word if the old menus remain. Probably a dev question). This menu allows you to easier browse available FAs and the Trade Block, and quickly compare them from the vital stats without diving into depth charts or scrolling through stats.

Resigning - Unfortunately, not much has really changed here other than the promise of a new UI, and different timelines to resign players on last year deals based on their prominence. The code for this is probably so spaghettified that we won't see anything change until whenever EA invents the newest iteration of Franchise, unless they can pull some voodoo off. This will greatly upset :haw:Volkerball and Eifert Posting :haw: (Not a dig, just taking the low hanging fruit guys <3)

At least a benefit of the new commentary (I'll touch on that later) is the commentators will make remarks in games about players in contract stalemates, or FA pickups.

Practice Squad! - New this year is a more streamlined approach to cutting players in the preseason to make the roster cap of 53, but there's on very important new addition - We get a loving Practice Squad this year! In past franchise years, 53 was the hard roster cap. As in the real NFL, we now get a practice squad that you can stash players with less than 2 years of service time onto (no veterans, obviously). They can be called up anytime to contribute, and will earn XP from game prepping. However, just as in the real NFL, other teams can poach from it. I am very interested to see how this exploitable this is, and which goon will be the first one to kill someone IRL for poaching from it. :v:

Regression Feedback - We all very much know that players over 30 start losing their juice in this game. Sometimes realistically, sometimes not so much (lol Eli retiring at 34, 32 year old Larry Fitz having 71 speed).In past games, you had to manually figure out where your guys were regressing, which was cumbersome at best, and easy to miss key stats. This year, we get a menu showing the exact nature of regression, which will be helpful managing veterans.

Player Cards - New last year was player cards, but they weren't very useful other than showing their stats in a window instead of the standard depth chart style. This year, they add quite a bit - the players comparative NFL ranking, and where their XP upgrades are going.

Lastly, since this is all we have until they do another deep dive, we'll go over the most exciting part of this year's game, and one we've wanted for a while.

:getout: PHIL SIMMS IS loving GONE :getout:

Commentary - EA went in-house for commentary this year, hiring as actual EA Tiburon employees Brandon Gaudin and Charles Davis. As a result of the heavily increased access to their commentators through the lifecycle of the game, the promise is that commentary will be evolving through the season. If players heat up or break out, lines will be added in. They'll have more color and interactions than ever before, as they won't just have access to the commentary team for a couple of quick phoned in sessions. Very hopeful it remains much more fresh and we aren't shutting them off after one game.

:shepspends: Madden Ultimate Team :shepspends: - We all know what MUT is. Some of us spend way too much disposable income on it. Others do not! EA hasn't released any details on MUT for 17 yet, but when they do I'll add them in. It will probably be one of their last blog posts.

Additional Media - Credit to Afterfather for digging some of these up.

Madden 17 Gameplay Trailer

Commentary and Presentation Videos
Defense and Running Gameplay
EA Highlight Reel

Offical Twitters - EA is actually pretty good about being active on these.
Madden Twitter
MUT Twitter

Rex and Clint, Creative Director and Developer respectively, are pretty active on their twitters as well. @RexDEAFootball, and @ClintOldenburg

I'll update the OP with anything that gets released between now and release, as well as maintain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Reserved for League info.

Really would like to see the Xbox One people start one up.

We have an extremely active playerbase on PS4, and SASFL will be commished by yours truly again this year.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
New thread is made, shitpost away you fuckers.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Ground floor. Takr my money EA

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Definitely not pre-ordering this year

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Someone on OS confirmed that OLinemen are still invincible because there are still no off the ball injuries. They can get hurt like last year if they pick up a fumble or something.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
I'm gonna pre-order from Amazon since prime members get that discount.

Rex Dickson interview with random youtube guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljGBSbuHGTo

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully with the moments mechanics, we'll get some youtubes of people trying to go through a few seasons so we can see if franchise works or not. Holding off until then.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Someone on OS confirmed that OLinemen are still invincible because there are still no off the ball injuries. They can get hurt like last year if they pick up a fumble or something.

:argh:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I'm going to put my replies on each byline since it'll be easier that way. Also this is my last year working on Madden, I've taken a job with Splash Damage and am moving to England in August so I know what's going on for 17, and some of the patches but from next year on I really don't know a lot of how things will work.

Dubious posted:

Improved Zone Coverage - EA is touting an overhaul of Zone Coverage this year. There is apparently 8 new types of zone coverage being introduced, with the ability to set defenders to better match up in the zones receivers will be running their routes in. Hopefully, this means the nearly uncoverable slants and drags will see some opposition this year, as a West Coast offense was incredibly to hard to stop and get turnovers on.
Dunno why we haven't mentioned it, or maybe it has but none of you sperglord powerusers care about it, but we've added the ability to do a defensive playcall that counters a specific area of field you've been getting burned on. So if you see a guy always running short inside passes you can choose that playcall mode after they've chosen their play and it will give you some better counters.

Dubious posted:

:derp:Special Teams:derp: - New kick meter coming this year, which is reminiscent of older kick meters! An Ice the Kicker mechanic is coming on (likely similar to NCAA 14's ITK mechanic, which effectiveness is questonable, as in real life). EA is promising a new mechanic to block kicks, and is saying we'll see a greater variety of trick plays. Hopefully this year running kicks back isn't as impossible as it was in the last two generations on PS4 - Xbox One.
I worked a lot on this feature and it's....interesting. The kick meter is your basic 3-click meter from older Maddens or almost any version of Tiger. Dunno why they went back to it, but :iiam:

Dubious posted:

Ball Carrier Controls - We are supposedly seeing an improved run game this year. The last couple years, most running backs all felt very similar in performance whether they were a power back or a speed back. The intention this year is that power backs will feel much more like Power Backs, as will Speed backs be more elusive and nimble. Todd Gurley should be more of a trucking machine than LeSean McCoy is, and the last few years not much difference was felt (anecdote - I run the ball a poo poo ton, and was putting up 2700 yard seasons with Bishop loving Sankey in goon leagues). EA is promising better prompts to make cuts, as well as guidance on running lanes during trainings (not sure if this applies to games.) For the lesser skilled folks on lower difficult, just handing off lets the CPU do the work for you.
The running lanes prompt does show up ingame depending on your difficulty level. Ditto with the button prompts for skill moves to get around defenders. It's auto on rookie, gives prompts on Pro and up and on All-Madden I believe they're not shown at all.
Now, to what a lot of us care about here JOIN SASFL

Dubious posted:

Game Prep A benefit of executing the drills that can contribute to gameplanning your opponent, is that you may get a small boost to execution of certain plays you practiced that counter opponent tendencies. I am worried this may be kind of broken, but it's unclear what kind of boost is available at this time. If they pull it off though, it's definitely a welcome addition.
It's not too bad, you basically get some performance boosts to your players if you call a play during the game that specifically counters something you trained for. Your guys don't become all pro HOFers for a play.

Dubious posted:

Play the Moments - This feature is one I am actually very excited for. In the past, simming through CPU games often felt like the worst, but predetermined RNG ever. Multiple 15 yard penalties, 80+ yard runs, constant 3 and outs - it was truly awful. This year, Key Moments helps to alleviate some of this, and make the slog of CPU games during online seasons, or solo play, much more enjoyable! The game will sim to Key Moments of the game that can have a huge impact either way (stop your opponent on a goal line. Convert a key 3rd and long. Go for it on 4th while down by a FG. Play a crucial half down by 2 scores. It can probably go on and on.) The game will stop the sim, and give you the option to play the Moment, or just the sim keep going. Once you complete (or fail, you scrub) the scenario, the sim will pick right back up.
I fuckin love this feature even if I don't use it a ton at work. It looks neat and the fact that you can just turn up the sim speed to instant you can basically blaze through a game in a minute or two even if you do actually play some plays.

Dubious posted:

:romo:Injuries:romo: - While injuries will remain random as ever this year, and I haven't heard anything if offensive lineman will stop being invincible,(Scud? can you confirm/deny?) but a new feature this year is the ability to bring a player back before the full duration of their recovery time. Need your star QB 2 weeks before he's ready? You can make the decision to start him ahead of recovery, at the risk of further injury. The game will show you the performance with and without an injured player to help make that decision.
I'm pretty sure I've seen linemen get injured through normal play, hell for a long while the injuries were tuned wrong and you'd get an injury almost every other play. It was hilarious and hosed up, thankfully it's been tweaked quite a bit but there are still a lot more injuries than in previous years.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
One of the lead designers said that OLine injuries weren't in in an interview.

https://youtu.be/9N8d38iep-Y

Should be at 9:17

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

real_scud posted:

Dunno why we haven't mentioned it, or maybe it has but none of you sperglord powerusers care about it, but we've added the ability to do a defensive playcall that counters a specific area of field you've been getting burned on. So if you see a guy always running short inside passes you can choose that playcall mode after they've chosen their play and it will give you some better counters.

I did my writeup by reading through all of the blog posts, and summarizing while adding in my own thoughts and commentary (it's bad, but it's not Madden School level of effort where everything is straight up copy-pasta spammed on reddit for CLIX). I didn't quite catch in the defense overview this was actually a thing. If it is, that's really nice to see.

Also congratz on the move!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Congrats on the new job!!!!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The day they start to trickle out the new MUT ratings for guys on MUThead is better then Christmas for me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Actually I don't mind the system for signing players because the solution is trivial. You just have to save scum. It's development that drove me nuts.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Another year, and no PC. Some day maybe I'll get my wish.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
There's a new nearly impenetrable copy protection that may help that happen

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

zimbomonkey posted:

There's a new nearly impenetrable copy protection that may help that happen

Yeah, that EA uses for all their games already anyway. That amazon listing a few days ago got me really excited too.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
had a bit of leftover cash and said what the heck, grab one last bundle in M16

:allbuttons:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
That three bosses you pulled this year?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

That three bosses you pulled this year?

two bosses and a GT.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Amen to starting an Xbone league. I will not have time to run one but I will definitely join one.

Icing the kicker as a mechanic? Are you loving kidding me? It doesn't work in real life and I can't even hit a 50 yarder, especially in online games, on All-Pro.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
This is more a madden 16 question but what are the chances we get another shot at the gronk solo before 17 comes out?

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Dubious posted:

two bosses and a GT.

Hahaha I love you

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Happy to see the release date getting moved more towards the middle of August. I miss the days of Madden hitting the second week of August to help for the dog days of training camp.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, Madden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc-u5S2NCiY

Watch Tebow dropback after the incompletion. It's magical.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
he's just posturing up to unleash the trebuchet

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
This might be the first year in.... holy poo poo, 14 years, that I don't buy Madden. SASFL is fun but I'd probably get destroyed every week and that is literally the only game mode I use. I'm starting grad school this fall in Chicago so finding video game football time will be difficult.

Never forget, I led Geno Smith to a SASFL Super Bowl title in SASFL Season 1, Madden 15. Never Forget.

The Piper fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 1, 2016

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

See ya in August.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

I intend to have many meltdowns over this game. In fact, I may post about it...on this very forum.... :spooky:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
:salt: :qq: :salt:

come on new game, we need to get some league drama in full swing :v:

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
I'll play in the league in 17. I was so sad when 16 kept dropping me from literally every mut match :( . My team was actually good. Dubious even gave me a Calvin!! Just praying this game doesn't have the same issue for me. Every other online multiplayer runs smoothly but madden just poo poo the bed on me so I ended up getting a refund from PSN for $60 even though I bought the game 8 months prior. I intend to be the cause of many goon meltdowns in this game.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Dubs, might need some help unlocking Lawyer for 17 depending what the requirements are. Got my back?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

Dubs, might need some help unlocking Lawyer for 17 depending what the requirements are. Got my back?

I've got 1.5 million in coins, my team is set, and am not going to grind that card out. let me know what you need.

E: I've also got 2 40J cards you can have to go towards the set.

Dubious fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 4, 2016

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Dubious posted:

I've got 1.5 million in coins, my team is set, and am not going to grind that card out. let me know what you need.

E: I've also got 2 40J cards you can have to go towards the set.

I was not expecting that to be so easy to do.

Sold off my team, finished the set, now I'm just going to buy UL players for the loyalty badges till I run out of coins. Have 6 vouchers, I think 7 is within easy reach. Maybe 8.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
i may as well do it myself then.

i won't complete any other master sets, so at least having that safety will be nice.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Well, I've finally caved. I'm getting a ps4 friday and will be getting this when its out.

I'm assuming there's still cool goon leagues to play with? I played in one last time I had a madden game on 360 (Madden 12, I think) and had a lot of fun, even though the Seahawks were bad then and I was even worse so I got rolled a bunch.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

hopterque posted:

Well, I've finally caved. I'm getting a ps4 friday and will be getting this when its out.

I'm assuming there's still cool goon leagues to play with? I played in one last time I had a madden game on 360 (Madden 12, I think) and had a lot of fun, even though the Seahawks were bad then and I was even worse so I got rolled a bunch.

Yup, goon leagues are still around.. I hope we can get 3 up this year.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

AfterFather posted:

Yup, goon leagues are still around.. I hope we can get 3 up this year.

Afterfather, I choose you to run the Fantasy Draft league. Because reasons.

I'll do SASFL as usual.

SASFL, the forum's premiere saltmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Dubious posted:

Afterfather, I choose you to run the Fantasy Draft league. Because reasons.

Aw yeah, time to bring in NCAA rules.

• Locked thread