Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully with the moments mechanics, we'll get some youtubes of people trying to go through a few seasons so we can see if franchise works or not. Holding off until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
he's just posturing up to unleash the trebuchet

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

real_scud posted:

Yep, that's why I put in 60hr weeks every year, to poo poo out the same thing with just a roster update.

We'll see if your tune changes when you start your new job. :colbert:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Madden 11 owned.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

real_scud posted:

That's because people would pitch a fuckin fit if they couldn't pick plays and were instead forced with whatever the CPU picked.

i always really appreciated it in the ncaa games, even though it'd get annoying if you were a running back or a receiver and the coach was constantly calling plays where you weren't really involved.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i'm liking the changes i've heard so far about franchise. a friend of mine has been toying around with it and said that you still have weekly training, but once you get gold on a drill once, you can simulate from then on out and get a gold result, at least in that particular franchise. Which means no more grinding the same drills over and over every week when you're trying to simulate through seasons. And instead of worrying about that tedious training part with the players you want to git good, you just designate 3 players as focus players, and they will get boosts based on the same weekly training that you can simulate once you get gold. so in theory, you could after the first season or two, simulate an entire season fairly quickly with no punishment. which sounds awesome. i definitely want to see training results in action before i buy it though. i want to see your younger players with good potential traits noticeably going up in overall with your 3 focus players going up noticeably more, and a more logical attribute disparity between different players at the same position. that poo poo before with corners maxing out at like 84 overall and other positions with 30+ players above 90 was stupid. the accuracy of game simulation is another thing that's a potential deal breaker i still haven't heard anything about. the better team generally winning, the stats looking realistic, your players overall ratings having an impact on their statistical performance, your scheme having an impact on how your teams stats turn out, etc.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 20, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

davecrazy posted:

I like it. It's an improvement. I'll play a lot of it.

:wow:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dubious posted:

i went through one season simming, and im playing through the second every game to see the progression rates. So far playing your games, even if just doing play the moment, is significantly more XP, but nothing gamebreaking so far as upgrade costs for older guys is heavy (as it should be)

There weren't any obvious dumb roster moves after season one, but hopefully tonight ill wrap out the season im playing and then ill sim it 3 more years.

What were your thoughts on the sim results? Anything wacky happening with league leaders, player stats in general, and standings?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Paperback Writer posted:

after one season in my sim the Cowboys had a MVP rookie qb with 44TD/4INT

what was his overall rating

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lobatos stats don't look too crazy and i would be ok with rodgers putting up those numbers if that's on the very high side for him, and the packers coach has like 80/20 in favor of passing on that slider.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dubious posted:

not pictured - Matt Ryan throwing 615 yards and 3 TDs against the packers secondary in that game

oh boy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oberst posted:

Always play owner mode. There's no reason not to unless being john harbaugh arouses you

I'd rather be John Harbaugh than a concession stand tycoon.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm weak. Just bought a copy used. Only $56! :downs:

Edit: The intro game casually shows the Bengals losing a wildcard game in the ticker. :smithicide:

let me know what you think of franchise. if it's good i'll get it for $53.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I used to see him all the time. The gas station closest to his house was the gas station closest to our house in Mooresville. He's p chill.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eifert Posting posted:

I had to say they've definitely fixed the draft classes and the experience gains in connected franchise. There are certain teams that hoard draft picks and certain teams that trade away all of theirs, and some of the roster decisions are a little weird, but overall I would say that the mode has made a huge Improvement.

In my franchise the Colts had literally one draft pick in 2 years and traded away all the others. Meanwhile despite having a pretty stacked roster the Jaguars drafted literally 19 players in the last draft. I think they ended up cutting a ton of them. That's just a bit screwy though, not game breaking.

Good job y'all. Only thing I really miss is assigning coverage. Game mode is much better than the last couple iterations.

Agreed with all of this. I think they got rid of the sliders too, which sucks. The 0-100 run vs pass, 0-100 conservative vs aggressive ones that were part of your coach scheme. I can't find them anywhere. I used to play with those when I had a QB who I wanted to break the all time passing yards record, or a RB who I wanted putting up 2k yards every year. But I'm legitimately having fun simming through seasons, which hasn't been the case in like 5 years. I started with the niners, and in 2021 we went 12-4 and made it to the NFC championship game without me personally playing a game or doing confidence drills or anything stupid like that. Just steady, consistent gains year to year as we built through the draft. Developing players is fun and requires some strategy in your drafting without being tedious as well. I'm probably going to put a lot of hours into this.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eifert Posting posted:

I have a shoo-in for strangest Madden glitch of all time.

I have video of Alex Mack the center running for a 7-yard gain and then falling over. It held up no flag.

He's a really good center.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just simulated a game that might have the worst passing performance in NFL history. My QB is 97 overall, with all of his rating coming from passing attributes, and I also have 96 overall Alshon Jeffery. Against the 2017 Browns, he went 4-15 for 44 yards and 2 INT's, for a 0 QB rating. That's a little absurd, EA.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My suspicion is that the stat generation being that off was based on my QB having the "trigger happy" trait, which you can't actually change by spending XP. I think there's just a default setting at the start of your career based on your player type and backstory. Also might have had something to do with coaching, although John Fox runs a vertical offense in the game, so I'm not sure how a good QB and receiver wouldn't put up numbers in a simulation. Whatever the case, I created a QB in the creation zone with all the good traits and started him off at 74 overall with beastly physicals, and he threw for 4700 yards and ran for another 1400 his rookie season. That's more better.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dubious posted:

actually you can change this, its the senses pressure trait

In a qb player career, senses pressure isn't listed on the traits page in "spend xp." All you have is development, clutch, force pass, throw away, tight spiral, penalty, and predictable. The only way you can see your senses pressure level is on your player card. You can edit the trait from that menu in a coach career, but you can't edit players in a player career. It's the same story with juking and spin move abilities. They're locked in from the start of the career.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
About time the plucky Patriots got a madden cover.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema posted:

never woulda guessed you played madden

Oberst posted:

cant wait for the autism about simmed game stats not being accurate enough

Did that clear things up a little bit? And gently caress you oberst.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema posted:

I just want to be able to do run plays

Idk how I took the browns to the Superbowl and won ok I was on average difficulty but it was still tough for me with running an average of 40 yards a game minus a few run touchdowns

Yeah they made run lanes non-existent and the back doesn't run downhill into the line at all, so running just feels futile. I haven't really really dug into it like I did last year, but all the juke moves seem a lot more useless this year too, especially in the backfield.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite is when you go around the outside and the receivers act like they are running a route and don't even consider blocking. They'll just run right past defenders. Thanks bro.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm all for making player careers more detailed and interesting, but these weird play in a scripted movie modes that started with the NBA 2K career mode (a spike lee joint!), and have since moved to FIFA and now Madden, just aren't that good. I think if you're going to try and make those game modes more interesting, the old NHL game models are the way to go. Play your player from the beginning and work your way up to the draft. Your draft stock is based on your overall and how well you played. Then after you get drafted, you continue on to win 13 MVP awards or w/e. That gives you replayability at any position. The NCAA games were really good at this too. You started in high school, how well you played determined which schools would recruit you, and then you had practices where you had to score points that led to you beating out the guys ahead of you on the depth chart. Then you just played out your college career. I probably did 20 different careers in that mode. It's so weird to put all the emphasis on like, character development, instead of playing sports.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

zimbomonkey posted:

FIFA wasn't that bad because for the most part it stayed out of the way. Your career hits a few predetermined speed bumps but for the most part it's pick your team, play your schedule, watch the occasional cutscene of your friend being an rear end. I actually like it for what it is: A MyCareer mode but with a slight narrative thread.

I just got the game on sale yesterday, so I haven't tried out the journey yet. I definitely will give it a shot tho.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Waroduce posted:

So I only play career mode, is madden 17 career mode seriously broken in anyway? Cause I'll probably stick to this year's unless the new engine is like super good. My last madden was madden 25 on 360 so it's all new to me.

Nah, it's pretty good. There's XP sliders in the settings menu once you're in career mode, and those are your friend, but it's definitely playable.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oberst posted:

Can't wait to hear you retards whine about sim stats or whatever dumb poo poo

IN WHAT WORLD DOES KHALIL MACK GET <2 SACKS A SEASON FOR THE REST OF HIS CAREER

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just your 99 overall middle linebacker here to let you know I'm 33 and I never made the pro bowl in my entire career

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Metapod posted:

Sorry your favorite player is bad

He wins DPOY like 9 times and retires with a higher legacy score than tom Brady every time I'm not the Raiders. :(

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Uh no, the game is broken. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

zimbomonkey posted:

I never get more than 5 or 6 years into a franchise before teams have hosed themselves with huge contracts. The raiders usually can't afford to keep 30 players under contract by 2022.

I turn the cap off to deal with this.

• Locked thread