Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

i am so goddamn gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Well they can gently caress with bombs to make yields high explosion low radiation or long lasting radiation or a non explosion with lots of ionizing radiation that kills 100% of all organics in among the most horrifyingly painful ways, acute radiation poisoning, leaving infrastructure unmolested.

Maybe they can lower the explosion to something near tnt and low enough in radiation to not be a warcrime that also creates a weaponizable emp? Probably not i guess.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

hemophilia posted:

Maybe they can lower the explosion to something near tnt and low enough in radiation to not be a warcrime that also creates a weaponizable emp? Probably not i guess.

they have come up with devices that can produce EMPs without also being literal nuclear bombs but they're kind of ridiculously impractical and nobody's bothered using one yet because the people with the tech to build them haven't fought anyone with more advanced equipment than a toyota hilux in decades

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Quick racism question! I'm an American and I don't want athletes who competed in Brazil bringing back plagues to my country because they were too selfish to say no. On a scale of grandma who doesn't like Italians to Hitler, how racist am i?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
You're not racist but you are a weirdo and a pussy for not putting your emotional attachment to sport at the top of your priorities in life.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Quick racism question! I'm an American and I don't want athletes who competed in Brazil bringing back plagues to my country because they were too selfish to say no. On a scale of grandma who doesn't like Italians to Hitler, how racist am i?

Are sportsmans a race though? Maybe it just makes you a bigot, in which case I'd say you would be right around an older Aunt that lives in a small town who occasionally tells a racist joke with out realizing it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_cJ9BlMCw8

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

You're not racist but you are a weirdo and a pussy for not putting your emotional attachment to sport at the top of your priorities in life.

Excuse me, but I have a football avatar. I only watch real sports though.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are sportsmans a race though?

Most of the American champions tend to have something in common.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Most of the American champions tend to have something in common.

A competitive spirit? The heart of a champion?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Zika is a sham. Don't be a brexit-grade mug.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

jBrereton posted:

I'm more concerned about different strains of MRSA from the Bay. I enjoy being able to take antibiotics instead of amputations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
MRSA is bug that's almost entirely contained to hospitals, at least here in the UK, so unless you wind up getting into a car crash or something you're really unlikely to get it.

Maybe things are different over the pond? but I doubt it, since it's not something people just walk around harbouring.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chichevache posted:

I'm more concerned about different strains of MRSA from the Bay. I enjoy being able to take antibiotics instead of amputations.

don't worry, people that get that will be too sick to get on a plane

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Chichevache posted:

well if you're white you're automatically at gigahitler levels but that's also the case no matter what you believe

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

whatever7 posted:

"The EU is in a chaotic state, I think it's time to jump ship" said UK.
"You have done your job well, come back and debrief" said US.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

EMP grenade? Wait, do those exist outside of video games yet? poo poo.

lol

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Chichevache posted:

MRSA is baby tier at this point. The golden age of antibiotics is over.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

jBrereton posted:

Zika is prolly overexaggerated to scare people away from going to Brazil. Look what happened with Swine Flu; we bought £1billion worth of vaccines against it, and less than a quarter were used.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Everything is either ignored pointedly in the news, or exaggerated to "porkchop sandwiches" levels of "omg wealllgunnadie".
France is rioting, is it in the news in the uk? no? how bizarre.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, the first order of business for the new prime minister was apparently to get new nuclear subs.

#priorities #makebritaingreatagain

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I watched Tory MP's cream themselves at the prospect of slaughtering millions of innocent people as the ultimate revenge fantasy. Lots of people making fun of the SNP as well which I think we're going to see a lot of as the possibility of another referendum looms over the horizon

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

How does being a minister work like do all these weird people have a paper pushing job where they do business like in a government bureaucracy between making fun of earchothers penmanship in the house of commons

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

How does being a minister work like do all these weird people have a paper pushing job where they do business like in a government bureaucracy between making fun of earchothers penmanship in the house of commons

there's probably a lot of shitposting going on

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Can I still gloat now?

:smuggo:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hemophilia posted:

they announce huge stupid ministerial initiatives which the civil service do their best to derail, sometimes they go on TV and make an announcement which they usually have to take back later on, and every couple of years they're reshuffled for hideous incompetence or fiddling expenses and everything carries on as normal

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hemophilia posted:

mostly the work is done by civil servants, who will often stay on regardless of who has the position, much like how the SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR in America doesn't actually run the national parks service

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

hemophilia posted:

Watch The Thick of It.
It's less farcical than real life, but shows how they work.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

well if you're white you're automatically at gigahitler levels but that's also the case no matter what you believe

I'm white.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

How dare you!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is yes, minister no longer relevant?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Armando Iannucci ruled out any more of The Thick of It because real life politics is so farcical and toxic there is nowhere left for satire to go and the creators of Veep are in an even worse situation

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I rewatched a couple episodes of the West Wing recently and it weirded me out seeing a show that portrayed politics as a glamorous place full of honourable people

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 24, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

I rewatched a couple episodes of the West Wing recently and it weirded me out seeing a show that portrayed politics as a glamorous place full of honourable people

it's basically a liberal fantasy

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm vague on your fish-and-chips political system, but from what I'm vaguely seeing in the news various Catholic Northern Ireland political figures are calling for a border poll per the Good Friday Accords to see if the public wants to unite with Ireland, but Brokenshire, the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, is "lol, no".

So this guy is a Tory political appointee for NI who has no explicit NI popular mandate for holding the role, and yet he's somehow a key figure in deciding if NI gets to vote to leave the UK and rejoin the Republic to stay in the EU?

And they're proposing a new "Unity Flag" for NI that really just seems like trolling: http://i64.tinypic.com/1hutc0.gif (did both TinyPic and Imgur just stop working on SA???)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brexit's never coming.

The Independent: Bookmakers have lost faith in Article 50 ever being triggered

quote:

Bookmakers have shortened their odds that Article 50 — the two-year notice period the must give to officially leave the EU — will never be triggered.

Sky Bet currently has 6/4 odds on Article 50 happening in "2018 or later or not at all," the favourite option in its Brexit betting market. This is even shorter than the 2/1 odds it gave the same bet in late July.

Although Prime Minister Theresa May has always insisted that "Brexit means Brexit" since she became leader of the UK, the complexity of actually leaving the EU is starting to emerge.

EU officials said on Monday that the UK should not expect a Brexit to happen before at least 2020, with one diplomat telling the Financial Times that British politicians have "to sort themselves out", saying:

"They come from London and they don’t know what they want. They don’t know what their government wants, what their parliament wants. They have not prepared."

The clock is ticking for the EU as well as Brits. European Parliament elections are set to take place in 2019, and a brand new assembly could theoretically block any proposed Brexit terms. That means Article 50 will have to be triggered either at least two years before then to avoid an overlap or afterwards, when negotiations can be conducted with a new EU parliament.

Another potential roadblock is the UK's own House of Lords. Tory peer Baroness Patience Wheatcroft told the Times on Monday that the Westminster's Upper House could delay a Brexit taking place if it went through the Commons. "I think the Lords might actually delay things. I think there’s a majority in the Lords for remaining," she said.

On top of that, a crowdfunding scheme called #BrexitJustice that wants to use courts to prosecute pro-Brexit politicians it claims lied to the public during the referendum campaign, has cruised past its £100,000 ($133,565) target to raise £145,000 ($193,669).

The legal aspects of Brexit are still unclear as the vote was not legally binding and many have said the decision to follow through on it should go straight to the UK's Supreme Court.

tl;dr Article 50 would need to be triggered by 2017 to avoid facing a new and hostile EU parliament, but British politicians have their heads up their rear end at the moment and would likely not be able to get it together before that deadline.

As well, the British parliamentary elections are in 2020, which means that election could be used as a second referendum of sorts to derail the whole process.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Young Freud posted:

Brexit's never coming.

The Independent: Bookmakers have lost faith in Article 50 ever being triggered

tl;dr Article 50 would need to be triggered by 2017 to avoid facing a new and hostile EU parliament, but British politicians have their heads up their rear end at the moment and would likely not be able to get it together before that deadline.

As well, the British parliamentary elections are in 2020, which means that election could be used as a second referendum of sorts to derail the whole process.

when some of the bigger complaints about the EU are that it is both undemocratic and also an incompetent bureaucracy, to negate democratic decisions via bureaucratic means really isn't helping their case.

That brexit is coming, sooner or later.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Velkest posted:

when some of the bigger complaints about the EU are that it is both undemocratic and also an incompetent bureaucracy, to negate democratic decisions via bureaucratic means really isn't helping their case.

too bad that's the system the Brits have in place and that's how its gonna work out regardless of what you think about democracy huh

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Velkest posted:

It's not the EU that is delaying this whole shitshow, they are the ones who want this all to be over as soon as possible to alleviate the uncertainty. It's Britain that is dragging their feet. It seems like the EU has settled on being totally powerless here and accepted that they can't do anything until Brits trigger the 50th.

It's been several months now and it seems like British politicians are still coming to EU meeting totally unprepared and whining about how the dog ate their homework. This is gonna take years at this pace.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Velkest posted:

yeah seriously. if they just wait out the clock then go "oops sorry, democracy isn't real!" then they will have a large problem on their hands. you think pro-leave people will take being denied their democratic rights lying down?

of course they won't just come out and say "we aernt doing it". that would lead to immediate riots. they will delay and push off as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Rutibrexit

• Locked thread