Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

EorayMel posted:

So really what happens now.

nothing immediately, since it was an advisory referendum. parliament will have to draft some legislation and go through the procedures to leave the EU. it'll take a fair amount of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

Actually, all Cameron has to do is invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon treaty.

thats true but itd cause plenty of administrative issues. he totally said he would but there's 0 chance of that happening

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StarMinstrel posted:

Can Parliament just choose to ignore the vote since the result is too tight, on the grounds that proceeding with the results could destroy the UK? Is that a thing?

they absolutely can

they won't, though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hello, i am the politician who ran on the brexit platform, then let you vote on it, and then when you voted for it i stopped it anyway. please reelect me

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

darealkooky posted:

imo its cool and good that britan now gets to have the politicians they democratically elected decide what their country does instead of a bunch of people they can't hold accountable for their actions but then again I'm not a facist so maybe I'm just uncool

you know who else got elected democratically??? thats right btich

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

theres more white people than black people in america so imho we should bring back slavery

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Chinatown posted:

the mexicans are the masters i assume

the masters are whoever is majority at the time. thats fairness

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StarMinstrel posted:

so they're just going to pull the temple down on their heads because "precedents and procedures". Ah, that good ol' british phlegm

no, theyre going to do it because publicly calling your party platform that you ran on and which has majority support a bad idea is political suicide

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Grogsy posted:

Are there any limits in place or can you have another referendum on the same topic within months of the other? Based on that map of votes distribution I would not be surprised if this time Scotland did leave and tried to join the EU. Is that even possible. How would that even work?

you can have referendums whenever the hell you want since they don't legally mean anything

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

too many hitlers spoil the broth

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hemophilia posted:

Alien as we are to eachother i think most americans see themselves as americans first, except for texas, and would eschew leaving for entirely contrived, retarded reasons, except for Texas, who doesn't understand what a perpetual union is.

I would vote for texas secession

you havent actually been to texas right

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The chief ratings officer for credit agency Standard and Poor’s says the UK is likely to lose its AAA credit rating.
Moritz Kraemer told the Financial Times “We think that a AAA-rating is untenable under the circumstances.”

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stuff posted:

Churchill is literally crying

churchill would have voted to keep them blackies out

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Casualty posted:

Wow I'd forgotten all about The Whitest Kids U Know

six kitty companies run everything

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

thomas jefferson would have voted to keep out the blacks and also to embargo them and also he would have raped them

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

But if he did that he wouldn't have been able to have sexy times with them.

he still gets to gently caress them but it's more of a metaphysical loving

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Grammaton posted:

Next the UK should get rid of the royal parasites.

they cast out the german tyrants in the eu, now to cast out the ones in buckingham palace

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

don't worry because malcolm tucker will sort this all out

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WHY DID YOU VOTE FOR THIS YEW loving BAGS OF SHITE

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Abugadu posted:

whoah what the heck is a shadow chancellor? that sounds a bit malevolent.

the shadow chancellor is ostensibly whoever the opposition party would pick as chancellor if they were in power. its tradition to have a shadow cabinet in brit politics

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Can someone explain to me how Cameron ties into the Brexit referendum? Did he campaign on it, thought he was being clever, and then realized he had to keep his word?

Yes. It was supposed to cater to crazy nationalists (and did, since they won the election) but apparently he didn't realize that the crazy nationalists were more than half the country and they'd actually end up winning this vote too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Basically the plan was to just have Dave say, like, "aw shucks well we tried and we'll try again next election too" much like how every republican for years said they would REPEAL OBAMACARE safe in the knowledge they never actually would

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

so i think we can all agree regardless of political creed that david cameron is a loving idiot

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

we have always been at war with EUrasia

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PBS Newshour posted:

i hope this becomes david cameron's ground hog day

i thought he already did that in college

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

did austerity also apply to teeth what the hell happened here

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bring back gordon brown

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4s4bXdU9Ig

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

City of Tampa posted:

"the sky is falling because you didn't vote the way that the Very Serious People told you to! now you can't retire!" lol

what's gonna happen to the credibility of the professional pants-shitters when we get to like January and everything is the same again? Nothing because they are never held accountable for being wrong

Well they won't be reelected so there's that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Volume posted:

fact that all the other Eu members are now crying saying they can't survive with out constantly stealing the UK's money proves that leaving was the right choice

yeah, as nigel farage pointed out they steal so much money that it can pay for the nhs to leave, oh wait, oh wait, oh wait, oh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

im excited for trump to make ameirca grate by .................??????????????????????

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Decebal posted:

Funny reading all the headlines like " EU leaders scramble for options" "EU ministers to hold EMERGENCY meetings !"

Were people that certain that the british will vote Remain ? The odds were 50/50, so how come nobody prepared at all ??

even the proponents of the referendum didnt think it'd pass. i dont really know why either but it's true

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Danger Mahoney posted:

I wonder how many "people shouldnt be able to vote for how their country is run" opinions would be popping up if remain had won

regardless, cameron letting the vote happen was certainly very stupid for his own prospects

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Danger Mahoney posted:

Speculators losing money! Bankers leaving London!

Literally the apocalypse how will the average Brit survive with fewer hedge fund managers and a slightly less wealthy foreign investor??

some things will affect them though like more difficult emigration and the weaker currency etc but yeah nobody gives a poo poo if venture capitalists go bankrupt

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

www posted:

why are people using the reason "THE CUTS" for voting out, ive heard* it a couple of times from the media now

Farage and some of his buddies claimed that with the savings from no longer paying EU fees they could save the NHS and roll back budget cuts without raising taxes. Which is a lot more attractive than DONT BE RACIST or BANKS WILL BE DESTROYED but also was a lie so there you go

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TBF what is the brexit argument that doesn't solely consist of gently caress LIBERALS

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm just honestly curious because I feel like people who are just peachy saying how lovely and backwards certain white cultures are get really into cultural relativity the second darker skins get involved. On the scales of what's worse I feel like people wanting to stick to their own is a lesser evil than not letting women drive but it seems like the modern progressive movement doesn't really share my order of priorities.

people cant do as much about things not happening in their own country

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

breaking news from fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Brussels Politicians Want To Stop Us Drinking English Ale

• Locked thread