Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

dethkon posted:

Wait- how big is the EUs army compared to Britain? Although if they can stall the initial invasion force, it'll probably come down to the Air Force like in ww2... what is southern England's industrial capacity, and how long before they can be restarted for war production? Those limey's might just be able to stand a chance!

The EU has got a pretty large expeditionary force hailing largely from North Africa and the Mid East at their disposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Danger Mahoney posted:

Can someone smarter than me explain what the Brits get for being in the EU? Like what is the benefit for them as a nation.

In theory, better commerce is the big one. Lowered international barriers supposedly means the ability to import and export freely in a trans European marketplace.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Lol I can't believe people are legitimately arguing for the EU as a way of virtue signalling. Well I can't believe it because I've heard way dumber poo poo, but the truth is the EU has been doomed from the start.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

Hey at least I'm not a bitter 38 year old white man who tries to chalk up his failures to Tumblr and clouds in the sky.

No, your a 35 year old guy from Texas pretending to be a British woman for internet points.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Prorat posted:

Daily terrorists attacks with casualties in the hundreds of thousands for the last 15 years in the name of Catholicism?

Bu-bu-bu THE CRUSADES!!!!!

Which is my favorite argument because it basically says Islam has made 0 cultural advancement in the past 1000 years (not that it's responsible for any advancement ever, but that's a different thread).

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i know that. its just our lot are so much stupider

Counter point: The Olympics are still planned to happen in Rio as of June 23, 2016.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Stumpalitious posted:

Somebody is angry that their pet cause is going to lose.

Media companies don't do exit polls, but major investment groups are conducting their own secret polls to make decisions prior to the announcement of the result and you don't think that sounds bad?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

spasticColon posted:

sooo if Brexit does happen how does it affect us here in the usa?

Britain will become the de facto summer destination of USA tourism dollars in Europe. Francerabia, Germanistan, and other Euro countries will see that influx of money dry up as people avoid the "no go" terrorist zones in those places. That means that the UK will have lots of dollars to spend, so you'll see US exports to the UK increase (as well as an influx of UK tourists in Disneyworld) and a decrease in trade with the remaining EU countries. The GBP will regain strength with relation to the dollar, and the Euro will decrease in value, but American people will continue to avoid Europe, even as it goes "on sale", because saving a few thousand dollars on vacation isn't going to be worth the risk.

Tricky D posted:

Sounds like a lot of capital is on the line so I don't know why they wouldn't do this.

Sure, but the main reason the BBC, Sky, et al. aren't doing exit polling is supposedly because it's not possible due to lack of a baseline (???). It's a stupid premise, but apparently Barclays, RBSC, etc. figured it out so the lack of exit polling from the media sounds suspicious.

tenspott fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 23, 2016

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

from their instagram page

gently caress this and gently caress you

Once I had pizza in France with corn on it. It was not very good. I was like, jesus, don't you idiots have any pineapple?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Pound_Coin posted:

also pretty sure it's some kind of veggie bean burger,

if you decide to go vegitarian, you dont get burgers anymore

it's a double warcrime

Hello I dont eat meat because of some bullshit reason but my brain still craves it because humans are inherently meat eaters no matter what so allow me to form this random poo poo into meat shapes.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

Do you really think this is because they are Islamic though? Like, thought experiment: what if everything was the same except instead of Muslim they were all Hindu. Do you really think the ME wouldn't a massive violent shithole?

It's politics and economics, not a bunch of true believers.

Thought experiment: Let's take Muslims out of their poor economic and political conditions in the Middle East and put them someplace different and prosperous- say Germany or Sweden, and see how they behave.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

Hm yeah because if you put poor as gently caress rural goat farmers into a wealthy environment magically their entire background changes, too.

I'm not saying take a bunch of immigrants, I'm saying stop acting like it's some weirdo religious war like you're from 1300.

Well what you're actually saying is that muslims are either unable or unwilling to adapt to their environment and conditions. So that means they're either inherently backward and wicked or they are not better than animals, incapable of rational thought. I'll let you pick which one you meant.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

lol you're an idiot.

I accept your surrender.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

If you don't understand how taking a bunch of people from the rural Middle East and putting them in a totally alien environment might not work out smoothly regardless of their religion then you're dumb. It has nothing to do with them being too stupid to adapt.

So you think they're unwilling to learn and adapt then? I just want to make sure what your position on Muslims is, particularly with why you consider them lesser entities.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I can practically see you manhandling your diminutive chubby through your jorts as you write this stuff

I'm pretty sure quorn was invented because it's scary watching sacred cows get butchered in front of you.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Ape Fist posted:

i also think everyone who does not conform to my way of thinking is a racist, and also a sexist, and also a transphobe.

Gotta enforce purity of thought. (Even if it ultimately means that you consider "others" too stupid or stubborn to measure up to the standards we supposedly hold so dear!)

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

i hope they burn her and the rest of them alive imho

No leave that poor royal baby alone!

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Danger Mahoney posted:

Brits start dying in temps over 80, might want to warn them before they come over to play

Britons survived India and founded Australia. They can handle Texas.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Banano posted:

I don't think anyone's got a problem with the poles tbh, they all came over 10 years ago and fixed our houses up nicely for a very good price and now we can get nice bread in most neigbourhoods

Perogis are a god tier food.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Congratulations Britons on sanity ruling the day. You have successfully fled the sinking ship that is the EU. Here's to many years of prosperity!

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

MiracleWhale posted:

well I suppose that's a fair argument, but in general a simple majority feels fairly undemocratic to me when the vote is very close. it doesn't really represent the will of the people in that situation, imo

That's literally the definition of democracy.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

MiracleWhale posted:

if 501 of 1000 people vote for something and 499 vote against, it doesn't seem to me like the 501 people have a strong case to make the 499 people live under the consequences of the vote. for many decisions that's acceptable but for decisions of extremely serious importance I don't think it's so great. :shrug:

So you dont like democracy. Ok. Good to know.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

/the working class called the financial elite's bluff and this is their temper tantrum

/everything's back to normal in six months
Exactly. Most people have no concept of how finance works and think things like market cap = actual real money sitting in a pile somewhere. All these numbers are meaningless to the normal Britons who woke up this morning.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

McNutty posted:

Is it funny?

Whatever you do, don't read the Bloomberg magazine. Last issue had an article about Tim & Eric. SERIOUS BUSINESS REPORTING!!!!!!!!!

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

when 100% of the media and all of the worst scumbag neoliberal politicians are making GBS threads their pants and screaming that the sky is falling that's all the proof you need that the right thing was done

Don't forget the people complaining about racists.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Over 80 pages and not one single cohesive argument for remain that doesn't involve ~racism~.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

A Magical Lamp posted:

Because I don't want my travelling rights taken away from me and I highly doubt I'll ever be seeing any of the money that gets paid into the EU anyway?

Do you think it will become very difficult for a UK citizen to visit France or vice versa? I don't think that will be the case.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

wit posted:

Because

Are you saying some people have better or more worthwhile votes than others? I've always assumed a vote is a vote, regardless of the person casting it. Wait, that sounds awfully familiar....

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm just honestly curious because I feel like people who are just peachy saying how lovely and backwards certain white cultures are get really into cultural relativity the second darker skins get involved. On the scales of what's worse I feel like people wanting to stick to their own is a lesser evil than not letting women drive but it seems like the modern progressive movement doesn't really share my order of priorities.

Someone once told me FGM is no worse than the male circumcision many white Americans do.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Flubby posted:

Sure, I can see regret. Why not? I could imagine being one of those people that votes Trump in a swing state because gently caress Clinton and then he actually wins. I'd probably walk in front of a train the next day because gently caress me.

Doing your part to make America great again.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Ewan posted:

To be fair, the meltdown is far from limited to D&D. The resentment is widespread among Londoners and more broadly younger voters across the country. There has for a while been some resentment towards the older generation, as it is often perceived their reckless finances of the 80s and 90s has caused today's younger generation to grow up in a world of debt, where buying a house is nigh on impossible for anyone but the richest, with the older generation having seen their assets multiplied hugely and with gold-plated pensions often backed by the taxpayer. It is now this same older generation that, based on long-entrenched anti-EU prejudices, have voted for a future that disadvantages the younger generation while likely having little effect on them.

There is similar resentment towards those Leave votes who did it for the immigration. It is clear that there are plenty of Leave voters who did so based on views that the economy would be better off outside of the EU. These voters I respect. But there is a large chunk of Leave voters who did it as they have been brought up to blame their life's problems on the EU and immigrants, and others who fell hook, line and sinker for the "take back control" argument which has no real basis in reality.

This comment from the Financial Times website sums up the feelings very articulately.

http://imgur.com/kIhnUFd

Hahaha that comment is loving awesome. They actually list missed friendship opportunities as a real tragedy stemming from the Brexit. No wonder these spoiled children are getting obliterated by common sense and reality on both sides of the ocean.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

I just can't believe the remainers lost with this attitude. Maybe next time double down on crying racist; you probably didn't do it hard enough this time.

It doesn't matter. There are more intelligent, thoughtful, and brave people in the UK than there are idiots and remainders.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Velkest posted:

But they are not going to the middle east

There, I fixed that for you. Unless, of course, you feel middle Easterners are too stupid or weak to express self-determination and are purely driven by animal instinct to become terrorists. Then I guess it would be fair to blame others for their actions...

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

A bit of market volatility is expected, why are people so surprised ?

Nothing worth fighting for is easy in the beginning.

People are so desperate to be right about "arrrgh racism!" they they are actively cheering for a global depression based on one day of economic volatility.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

steady posted:

They weren't doing too badly, it was just a lot of whining about immigrants (incidentally they bitched about Polish migrants who were doing menial lovely jobs they wouldn't do, but moochers from ex-colonies were OK) and the "terrible hegemony" of EU (read Germany) sucking their hard-earned monies to fund backward shitholes like Romania (never mind that two regions where majority of Leavers were are North England and Wales, the poorest regions of UK who depend on government and EU subsidies). No one yet said anything about if Brits bothered to keep their industry strong then maybe EU wouldn't be able to bully poor little them, because that's how things always go, stronger and bigger push the weaker around. All they had for themselves were tourism and international banking and banking will piss off to Germany now because money rolls where the strong economy based on real production is situated.

Whew, this felt like a DnD ramble but people need to be enlightened, I s'ppose.

Lol no banking isn't going to Germany. Banking didn't congregate in London because of the EU, it set up shop there because the UK is a satellite state of the US and they're pretty wishy washy on enforcement of banking regs for big spenders while retaining a veneer of respectability.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe Braveheart was actually true and they really did just want their freedom? Ever think about that?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

I automatically dismiss any group with protest signs that include memes.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

kikkelivelho posted:

Nothing "inherent" about it. If anything, the current state of the EU is unsustainable, and we can't back out now so the only way forward is to go forward. Not only would a theoretical USE rid us permanently of the disease known as nationalism, but it would also allow us to compete not only with the americans and russians, but also with the rising BRICS economies.Why be German or French when you could be an European?

You say the united states of europe would be doomed to failure, but I think the exact opposite is true: without the USE we will fall to irrelevance and oblivion. Now that the UK is out of the way, the road seems clear for further integration. The sooner the better I think.

Hahah you said BRICS. gaywad

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

BRICS aren't rising especially after the whole recent commodity reaches.

China is a house of cards, Russia will probably have a decade of recession due to the oil crash/wild foreign policy, Brazil is a huge mess and only India will probably have positive growth over the next few years.

India's aquifer is almost empty. They're pretty much toast. That, and their perverse love of red tape and weird social stratification has made them a tremendous failure on a global scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

Just drive on a US freeway and see how rich and diverse it is by the restaurant offerings displayed on the side of the road. Hope you enjoy Taco Bell & McDonald's for 2000 miles :)

Tear down Europe's borders so they can have this type of Paradise too !!

Typical continental fare consisting of two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a NON sesame seed bun. They like to mix it up over there!

• Locked thread