Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is single handedly going to make my retirement in 30 years soooo much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

How, did you just invest $50k or something?

Basically yeah.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

How did you have $50k just sitting around?

Well, it was in my Trad IRA, which I gamble with all the time, so I liquidated some stuff just before Brexit. It was actually closer to $35k.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sound posted:

Curious what you bought. I moved most of my 401k to cash late last year, seems like this would be a good spot to buy in.

A chunk of Barclay ADR, another good chunk into FSRBX (its a US banking sector fund), and then the rest in spatterings of other UK and German ADRs. I'm comfortable losing a ton/all of this though, so don't think I'm giving you advice or anything. I'm being extremely aggressive.

Michael Scott posted:

Why are you liquidating and playing around with it?? What if the market went up a few percentage points while your savings were liquid?

Oh, just for this reason. It's not all of my retirement money or anything like that. I've got a pension, 401k, ROTH, and this traditional IRA. My Trad is where I take all my big risks and this felt like a good one to me.

edit:
Just noticed you weren't asking me that. Yeah, liquidating an entire 401k and leaving it as cash seems a bit odd. Unless you just rolled it over into an IRA or something.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 27, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bitter Mushroom posted:

anyone who has ever bought or sold stocks will be 5th or 6th against the wall when the revolution comes

Buy gold! Gold has never lost value ever! Invest in nothing but precious stones and metals!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

I wish I had your kind of money to play around with, that's all. It feels like a foreign freedom to me. I might never get there. If your company is hiring let me know :)

It's not like I had super high paying jobs or anything. I started a Roth IRA when I was 19 and just always put money into it, contributed to any 401k plan any job offered me, and every time I left a company moved the 401k into a Traditional IRA. One of my dad's good friends was a financial advisor, so having him help me really got me started young and in the mindset of putting away. Go talk to financial advisor. They'll help you get to your goals. Or you can go to Ask/Tell-> Business and finance and be told to get a Vanguard account (which is typically good advice).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

This doesn't actually seem to be a joke btw

Hmmmm, your red text makes me think I should question your apparent knowledge on "jokes."

I choose to trust you on this one though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The US will welcome you into our fold just like all children do when their parents grow too old to care for themselves.

US is good kids.
Australia and Canada are the lovely kids that don't even call on holidays, but keep your picture up to ease their own conscience.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm mostly looking forward to when England joins the other impoverished countries and I can get a hooker for two American dollars.

I'm planning on visiting England in the next couple years so the worse off it is the better. If it turns into an English speaking Mexico, but with mildew instead of beaches, I would love it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maoist Pussy posted:

Why do you divide your national team into 5 lovely teams instead of one good one?

The same reason Canada, Mexico, and the US split up their teams.....language barriers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, the bastion of English culture and heritage that is Utah.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dreddout posted:

:allears: at the South just referring to themselves as "American"

They're probably not wrong if they were born here. :shrug:

That's actually a good question, is the US the only country that's obsessed with ancestry and where you came instead of just saying you're Canadian, or Spanish, or English, etc?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A Magical Lamp posted:

Not really, everyone likes to know where their family came from. Just doesn't come up in conversation much.

I guess that makes sense. I know I'm 50% Italian, 25% Spanish, and 12.5% of both German and English, but what that really means I don't know. I mean besides being all the good looking/heavy drinking countries in Europe mostly Europe.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brannock posted:

Wow the country that's 98.3% immigrants or descendants of immigrants likes to talk about where they're from???

And then we pretend that it means something.

"Of course I love drinking! I'm Irish!" - has never been to Ireland - is actually from Wales

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

City of Tampa posted:

both of these people look like they smell bad

Dude on the right's head looks like a Nazi propaganda portrait of a Jew.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bitter Mushroom posted:

theresa may will bring back thumbscrews and the stock

Bringing back stock may not be a bad way to fix this mess.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Could someone please explain to my ignorant american brain who Theresa May is and why she’s terrible?

James May's wife. An avid car fan.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mexican cartels would take over Texas in a matter of seconds if they seceded from the US. It would be hilarious and I feel it should happen sooner than later.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

pretty sure the cartels would roll right over some pudgy texans

Easily too. You remove the federal government and the cartels wouldn't give two shits about some backwoods "militia" defending their ranches or a local police force. Those rancher's heads would be swinging from overpasses as a warning with in the first day. Mexican cartels don't gently caress around.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Unless they were planning on retiring all at once last Monday they shouldn't care too much about it at all in general.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I don't know if this has been discussed, but could this mean the end of the Union Jack? I really like that flag.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kikkelivelho posted:

We were promised a Brexit. What's taking you so long you drat brits?

Two people tried to leave through the same door at the same time sparking the dreaded "British Apology Loop."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

if scotland somehow gets independence i think we might lose the saltire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25205017 shows some designs

i like the pissjack (the very first one)

:barf:

"Let's make our flag look like a goddamned optical illusion!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Needs a rattlesnake in one claw and a laurel branch in the other. Other than that looks good!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just want to go to an English McDonald's and criticize their American fast food.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RobattoJesus posted:

Your people? Your.... your majesty?

You're majesty! :eng101:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sir Chapsley Goodfellow sounds a lot more posh, but that's just me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There is a special place in hell for people that shake their martinis.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Petrino Herne-Cooper doesn't quite work.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

brylcreem posted:

Apparently Great Britain is literally without a leader right now, since Cameron resigned before May was appointed new prime minister.

lol

Big missed opportunity for some industrious youth to run into parliament and slam his flag into the ground claiming it for himself.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fun fact: The queen of England could change your brake pads for you if she wanted to.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

imo the princes should have to defend their title every few years in a royal rumble with a bunch of commoners

I like this. We could do it for the Presidency of the US as well. A no holds barred throw down. It would certainly show who was the most determined to run the country. Or in the royalties case, leech off their country and act like they have some sort of worth.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Uganda has a black cock with a Mohawk on its flag. Uganda kicks rear end.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chichevache posted:

What stops a robot with a bomb?

Stairs?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Quick racism question! I'm an American and I don't want athletes who competed in Brazil bringing back plagues to my country because they were too selfish to say no. On a scale of grandma who doesn't like Italians to Hitler, how racist am i?

Are sportsmans a race though? Maybe it just makes you a bigot, in which case I'd say you would be right around an older Aunt that lives in a small town who occasionally tells a racist joke with out realizing it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Most of the American champions tend to have something in common.

A competitive spirit? The heart of a champion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

We all want to be german in the end

We all had our chance and blew it. "Greatest Generation" my aching rear end.

• Locked thread