Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In hindsight pig man promising a referendum was a bad idea.

He probably thought the leave vote had zero chance of success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rutibex posted:

thats the biggest problem with the EU. its a top heavy, appointed bureaucracy so it doesn't have any mechanisms built in for popular reform

Not to mention other flaws such as linking multiple countries to a single currency.

It's basically trying to make the Articles of Confederation concept work.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maoist Pussy posted:

hahaha. pro-click, yall.

Also lolling at London saying it wants to leave the UK.

good riddance

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The city of London is a pretty cyberpunk concept especially how companies are allowed to directly vote for local issues.

Just bypass the middleman

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also most of the meltdown in London was due to how the Brexit will make it harder for bankers to raid the rest of the continent.

One of the by product of the EU system was merging financial systems in many ways.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hammerite posted:

lol "please treat us like children, we're so coddled that we didn't realise our voting choices would have consequences"

It took the interviewer all day to find the attractive woman in the beginning of the video

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Decebal posted:

A lot of those young people probably made passionate social media posts about the issue ! That doesn't count for nothing to you ?

It was so important only 35 million votes got cast.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So UK will go Mad Max on monday after turning their backs on globalists and wall street bankers?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lime Tonics posted:

Sad Trombone.aif

London markets lose $164B in 600 seconds

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/06/24/london-markets-take-164b-hit/86336110/

EU referendum: Moody's cut UK's credit outlook to 'negative'

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36626201

Brexit: EU leaders demand quick UK exit as economic fallout grows

Two days after UK voters decided they wanted to leave the European Union, foreign ministers from the EU's six founding countries met in Berlin to discuss the speed and strategy of Britain's exit.
European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has said he'd like to get started on it "immediately."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/25/europe/brexit-eu-leaders-meet/index.html

You dun screwed up this one big time. you duns it.

lmao Euro scum are now trying to neg the noble Brits.

We will punish you in every way possible for leaving a organization that provides the greatest benefits to Germany

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's only a loss if you decide to panic and cash out.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole brexit made me realize that the UK is run by revolting man pig hybrids

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The EU made Europe great again, now excuse us while we go starve some greeks to death.

Germans must get paid

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao looks like Corbyn will probably be another casualty of the Brexit vote due to grumbling in the labour party over his leadership:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/25/eu-referendum-brexit-prime-minister-tory-mps-boris-johnson-leade/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flubby posted:

Wow. Thank God they got out of there before they got bit by the political correctness shark.

i like the part with the muslim trying to rape the figurehead of the ship.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the brussels bureaucrat seems to be some weird man owl hybrid

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

How much could a country the size of South Carolina really offer to the EU?

Also the biggest elephant in the room is even if they adopted the euro to solve the currency problem, a independent scotland would deal with other problems such as sovereign debt.

The price of oil is still depressed with many north sea wells getting shut down.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

is it fair to say that the brexit was a huge own-goal in footballer terms?

I'm still confused why David Cameron even put the vote on the table.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

the tory party has a bunch of crazy backbenchers for whom Brexit was 100% of their reason for getting up in the morning. Cameron is a slick neoliberal type conservative who likes the EU for business reasons. He threw them a bone hoping it would shut them up because he assumed he'd only get into government again in a coalition, and their coalition partner would torpedo the referendum. Unfortunately he won the last election because labour were running some kind of experimental politics mutant against him, but he didn't win by enough that he'd be able to tell his backbenchers to just gently caress off. He called the referendum, hosed up the campaign and the rest is happening.

So he pushed the option since it had a unlikely chance in his mind of a leave vote winning and got burned as a result.

Also for news from the center, looks the shadow cabinet had a mass resignation this morning:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/26/brexit-live-jeremy-corbyn-sacks-hilary-benn-tory-leadership

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

itt shills who clamor for more Tony Blairs in politics.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tminz posted:

Yes and I think that's the point it's making. Following through with it will mean political and economic suicide but so will all the other options. All roads lead to the same final destination.

If they had any brains they could just use the vote to neg the referendum.

Some shrieking euros across the channels say they want maximum punishment for leaving but other leaders such as Merkel said they should try to reform the EU to get the UK back.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Brannock posted:

I was going through a catalog of tweets and anecdotes about UK racism that's been exploding since the vote a few days ago and it's pretty drat bad there and the way things are going it's just a matter of time until we see a straight up murder

This one made me laugh though

https://twitter.com/TheBuddhaSmiled/status/746453668774481920

Rich (and globally mobile, apparently) banker parasite is aggrieved by a homeless person??? Impermissible.

Are you sure this tweet didn't come from SF?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hammerite posted:

who cares? The point is he's what small-c-conservative England thinks of as a sandal-wearing guardian-reader type, which is why he'd never get elected

you mean a sandal with socks guardian reader?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao how shills in the media are melting down over the leave vote winning.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The MSM media is dumb, if the UK was smart they could use the threat of leaving as way to encourage reform in the EU.

Instead you have MSM media meltdowns over the leave vote being the end of the world for the UK.

The Leave vote winning is even worse than a Triffid Uprising!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lichy posted:

can't wait to see Corbyn go full Stalinist on his party

labour needs to be reformed through hard work and purges

so which part of the UK would be the best area to build gulags?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

To me the best thing about the EU is how they put the HQ in Brussels, which is a hilariously dysfunctional country due to all the infighting between the flemish and Walloons.

So maybe it was somewhat appropriate.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mikojan posted:

Please name me a country that does not have a complete clusterfuck for a political scene right now.

You can't

All the EU zone investments are now fleeing to the US now since despite its problem it's a powerful nation state, not a failed political and economic experiment like the EU.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tenspott posted:

I automatically dismiss any group with protest signs that include memes.

If the vote didn't work out for my side it should be run again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Brannock posted:

Lol

I love the world

colonialism works?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Magical Lamp posted:

I like how all the Tory leave campaigners are now backpedalling like crazy. Is anyone still happy about the Leave vote other than Farage?

I guess similar to Cameron they seriously thought that a successful leave vote was impossible.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

do you think british people know what a visa is or how to get one

I for one hope it means less old brits at nudist beaches

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

kikkelivelho posted:

Nothing "inherent" about it. If anything, the current state of the EU is unsustainable, and we can't back out now so the only way forward is to go forward. Not only would a theoretical USE rid us permanently of the disease known as nationalism, but it would also allow us to compete not only with the americans and russians, but also with the rising BRICS economies.Why be German or French when you could be an European?

You say the united states of europe would be doomed to failure, but I think the exact opposite is true: without the USE we will fall to irrelevance and oblivion. Now that the UK is out of the way, the road seems clear for further integration. The sooner the better I think.

The EU attempts integration without fiscal union.

Look at how well it worked for Greece or how in a crisis situation you have competing interests like for the refugee situation.

The EU is failed concept like the US Articles of Confederation back in the day.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

opus111 posted:

I hope youre enjoying our punch n judy shitshow.

UK politics is so superior to what happens in the colonies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

kikkelivelho posted:

a fiscal union would obviously be a part of any reasonable USE setup. political and economical stability could be guaranteed through core-to-periphery wealth transfers, the exact same setup that the USA uses right now.

The problem is in the current EU system you have rich states that happily throw the poorer newer members under the bus that suits them.

Do you really think that rich northern EU countries will sign up for bailing out nasty foreigners or that poorer EU nations would sign over their budget to a bunch of lovely germans?

The US Articles of Confederation didn't last for a good reason.

There's a good reason why EU stocks had a laughable recovery after 2008 while the US stock market and economy made a much more effective recovery.

When crisis hits the US it gets stronger but when crisis hits the EU all the opposing sovereign nations prevent a effective response.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mark Blyth had a interesting interview today on the Brexit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGvZil0qWPg

He thinks it funny how the leave UK for EU scots think the Germans will somehow give them better treatment.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

scotland votes to join ireland, britain renamed "greater manxia"

Scotland is a rich white country so joining the EU makes sense.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Concordat posted:

Yeah it's not like nationalism directly caused two apocalyptic, global, conflicts in the last hundred years.

WWI was caused by the tangled system of alliances created by the rush into empire building.

WWII was caused by austerity not nationalism

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreddout posted:

Third times the charm, I lust for Euro death!

Can't wait for the US to save Europe again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Concordat posted:

Today I learned that the Serbian Black Hand, the German Nazi party, and Imperial Japan were not nationalists. Neat.

the economic squeeze created by austerity is what made both the nazis and militarist factions in japan so powerful, despite starting out as fringe movements.

• Locked thread