Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Crackle is home to News Radio (2 season at a time, rotating semi-annually), The Shield (2 seasons at a time, rotates every two months), and seinfeld (if you don't have hulu it's 4-10 episodes per month updating on Mondays). For a long time, they had the full Larry Sanders Show. Like, all of it. For years. It was great. Ask me more about Crackle, I'm like their historian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Why in the world would they do that rotating seasons stuff in a world where binge watching is becoming the norm?

Because they're owned by Sony Pictures and what those properties bring in over Crackle surely pales to their syndication profits. Especially Seinfeld. Even Newsradio, as Crackle is so poorly monetized that I don't think it's ever intended to pull a profit.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

hcreight posted:

Every so often Sony will pump some original content into it, like the Joe Dirt sequel no one wanted, presumably with the hope that something will catch on big and make the service easier to monetize. The big studios don't want to let go of the notion that they should be able to make money hand over fist with their own services instead of selling rights to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.

To be fair, Crackle's existence still makes more sense than Yahoo! Screen's.

Joe Dirt 2, The Throwaways, Ch:os:en, Cleaners, SuperMansion, Sports Jeopardy, and The Art of War!? This is the golden age of tv you're passing up here.

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is really good. The rest of the original series are weak, unless you ever wanted to see Diedrich Bader as an assassin in a psychological thriller (you didn't and don't).

The other thing is, there is plenty of Crackle content that is also on other platforms (Hulu still has all of Seinfeld, right?), so it's not even really an exclusivity play (outside the original content). It's just there, and it plays things I like so I keep using it.

Oh, for a while it was also hooked to m points, which is a wholly different thing except that it's exactly the same. That was/is a system for mobile app rewards akin to bing rewards; get 50 for playing a movie, get 30 for a tv episode. Mpoints were even in the dictionary.com app, with rewards for looking up antonyms and looking at the word of the day.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Welp, looks like my Hulu subscription's days are numbered...

...never mind. :shobon:

nth'ing about wtf Crackle is supposed to be. The one time I've used it was when I tried streaming Heavy Metal over my XBone, and the sound was several seconds out of sync. And now they want people to pay for a subscription?!

No, there's no paid version of Crackle. Crackle is free and has been since 2011. I might know way too god damned much about Crackle, but I'm not crazy enough to pay that poo poo. I'd just catch Room 227 on MeTV instead.

Continuing the theme of knowing way too much about Crackle, the sound sync issues are real and platform-independent. Luckily, that means the solution is too--do the quickest thing you can do unload the stream and reload it. Examples of this are to load a different video, close the app, or navigate to a different page.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The day everyone is looking forward to is here! Right now! Crackle has new video content! Before you get too excited, NewsRadio is gone :smith:

New series:
Happy Endings motherfucker (Season 1)
Frankin and god damned Bash (Season 1)
Charlie's Angels (no, not that one. Not that one either. Yeah, no one cares.) (Season the only one)
Huff (RIP Anton Yelchin) (Season 1)
That's My Mama (Season 1)

New episodes:
Seinfeld (This is a sad-as-gently caress month with only The Letter, The Couch, The Invitations, The Package, and The Voice. Don't be concerned about Seinfeld leaving though, they tried that one month and followed it up by having like 13 eps the next two.)
The Shield (Season 6) Wait wait wait wait wait wait what the gently caress happened to Season 5? God Damnit, Crackle. I'm trying to make you look good here

Categories I don't pay attention to and may have new content:
Anime, Childrens

Movies: I don't always look at this category, so this is more what I'm noticing than what is necessarily new
Undercover Brother
Sheena
The Professional (NOT the Leon cut if you care)
Parker Definitely new, marketed as exclusive
Mystery Men Okay, absolutely cheating here, not new, I watched it twice last month but seriously it's a great movie
Money Train Deffo new
Jack Hunter: And the Lost Treasure of Ugarit
Jack Hunter: The Question for Akhenaten's Tomb
Hulk (Erik Bana) How the hell did that get here?
Double Team (JCVD, Dennis Rodman)
Marvel: Avengers Confidential: Black Widow: Punisher
I'm So Excited Pedro Almodovar, people. I'm telling you there's good stuff here.
Mallrats Okay, so it's not all good
Josie and the Pussycats (Rachel Leigh Cook) But a lot of it is! Don't hate
Orgazmo I don't know if this title is going to be edited or not, I've never really concerned myself with whether or not nudity is kosher on Crackle
Rudo y Cursi
Donnie Brasco This one is not new, it's here all the time, alongside the next one
The Devil's Own
Echoes Cross The Tracks Morgan Freeman-narrated documentary about blues
Meeting Evil This movie sucks
Rumble Fish There's a deep Papa Coppola cut for ya
Oldboy US version don't watch this garbage

There's also some horror and Thriller content, but it's all garbage unless you find nonsense like Insidious entertaining in some way. Oh, I lied, there's Wild Things, so you might see like a boob or Kevin Bacon's schlong. Again, I'm unsure of the nudity situation here.

Crackle: For when you miss the days of the broadcast Saturday-afternoon matinee double-feature.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

The day everyone is looking forward to is here! Right now! Crackle has new video content! Before you get too excited, NewsRadio is gone :smith:

New series:

Frankin and god damned Bash (Season 1)

Lol quoting myself because Franklin and Bash is janked the gently caress up on Crackle. Episode 4 "Pro Bono" is the second episode listed, but that's okay because it links to the pilot again instead of the intended episode. I'm really trying to help you out Crackle, you've even got this on the landing page as a featured new addition.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

raditts posted:

I liked the end of Limitless well enough, but it seemed a bit deus ex machina. The resolution seemed too "easy", like it almost feels like they were going for a possible "the ending was just a hallucination / dream" but if they did that I have no idea where the show could have gone for a second season.

Anywhere. No one worried about what the next season of Psych had in store for the greater plot, it was just fun. I felt the exact same way about Limitless.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

raditts posted:

The plot of Psych didn't hinge on Shawn requiring a magic pill to continue being a fake psychic, or a magic shot to keep the magic pill from rotting his brain.
That's what I'm talking about, it seemed like the ending where they catch Sands' operation totally unawares and handily defeat him, followed by Piper suddenly showing up with a needle full of deus ex machina was a bit tacked on and convenient for happy ending purposes, and it felt like that either only happened because the show was ending or was intended to be Brian's Swiss cheesed brain fantasizing about how he wanted things to go.
I'm wondering if / how the plot would have continued if Brian had to muddle on without that, although presumably they'd have to reset the status quo eventually.

I didn't see it as anything more than Shaun's needing to be a 'psychic,' or videos of Mary from beyond the grave. I guess I just wasn't as concerned with the overarcing plot, and really just liked watching the bruntouchables fighting crime from their hq (not really a spoiler, but it could take some of the fun away from people just starting the series)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Netflix should be sending these people thank-you notes.

EDIT: Oh God loving 12 MINUTES PER HOUR. Has anyone counted Hulu's ad load, because I'm almost certain it's less than that.

No, but i've watched plenty of 44-47minute long "hours" of TV. That's 12 vs 13 - 16, not a notable difference from broadcast. Unless you're comparing to local news, i guess.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

Hour long shows these days are 40 minutes. 12 minutes an hour is 8 minutes an hour less that TV, i'd call that a noticeable difference.

I guess I watch different shows, then, because looking over the episodes of things I do watch paints a picture of 42-45 minutes with most being 43 and some change. So, my numbers were a bit off, but still not 40. Most of what I watch isn't broadcast, but Person of Interest was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kraps posted:

As someone who didn't grow up with a tv I don't understand why people find the >5 minutes of ads on Hulu/other services intolerable compared to the 18-20 freaking minutes on tv.

People want their thing and they want it now. Add to this taking something that is traditionally free (OTA TV) and adding a charge sours them. Some people are just angry that it's the same ad on repeat (often a 3 minute break of two 15 second ads on some services). Others aren't going to be happy until they've got the audio file in flac served alongside .srts for every language because that's what technology is for right? The ad industry will always have opponents, but I'll take the ads from hulu, youtube, and crackle over the ads served by websites and (other than hulu/crackle/et al) mobile software. A video you can't skip is still better than a popup you're forced to dismiss, if you're youtube and the video can be dismissed after 5 seconds all the better.

Edit:

raditts posted:

I don't know if this is intentional on your part, but this is awfully condescending toward the totally valid stance that you shouldn't have to sit through a shitload of ads when you're already paying a premium.

I wrote this with way too much haste, and I agree with raditts that it came off condescending.

There is a wide melange of reasons and validities thereof, that was the only intent to that. To elaborate, there's nothing wrong with wanting a thing, there's nothing wrong with wanting it now. There's nothing wrong with wanting more accessibility features, which is what things like .flac and .srts would facilitate (or really, plenty of other standards.) There is nothing wrong with hating the same message on repeat--it's the exact same reason I don't listen to Top 40 radio. We all watch TV differently with different expectations of the experience--but we do all watch it for primarily entertainment purposes. There's no right-or-wrong way to be entertained, and if those stated issues are shared by you it's a totally valid complaint. You expect entertainment, and there's something negatively affecting your ability to attain it. Now you're being asked to 'pay for the privilege,' when it was barely tolerable to you free. It's just as much your entertainment as it is any other viewers, and none of these stances are ill-informed or indefensible.

Iron Crowned posted:

I kinda like those, it reminds me to pause and take a break.

I think a lot of people must not watch tv with others anymore, because it is so much nicer to have sensible commercial breaks for group watching as opposed to asking everyone to pause while you use the restroom/grab a beverage/do whatever you gotta do, first because the content is formatted for the pause, and second because it offers opportunity to converse. I'm more impressed by the ability to pause live TV, using it at the end of commercial breaks for a good conversation than anything else. (That, by the way, has been a failing of some online content portals--let me pause your ads. There's no good reason to be opposed to this.)

Edit: I watch TV socially because there aren't a ton of social activities that can fit into my schedule that don't raise health concerns, not because TV is meant to be shared or not a worthwhile solitary endeavor. I don't think this part was condescending on its own, but paired with the other I figured it probably best to explain a bit more.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 30, 2016

• Locked thread