Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Al! posted:

this one is terrifying

I know, the drugs just kicked in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i think they're being ridden by white people loa.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i am the steed of Bob Whitebread the voudun protector of used car salesman, meet me at the four leaf clover overpass at the stroke of it's gotta be five o'clock somewhere eh?

beware my cousin Baron Meatloaf Mondays.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

super gross and prevalent image from early 20th century media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLGOzH7yROk

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The good old days when movies, ads, priests, etc begged you to hurt your wife's rear end with your hand.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh and it was in Comics too. Lois Lane getting spanked by friend and foe alike then saying in the next panel she can't sit down for someone take out of context 70 years later. It seems like the Hays Code and Comics Code had a weird exception for spanking.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

woman speaking for herself, unwilling to bend to your masculine will? time for violence! america is insanely good.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

One thing I like about the illustrated ads of this time is that the people managing these things clearly told the artists "I want these people to be ecstatic in this ad. Amazing happy, deleriously happy!" And the artist would do this -

And the results would be odd but fine. Though often they'd do this, and the results would look a little crazy instead:

20th century consumer consuming:

I find the car ads interesting because they are often gorgeously illustrated (like seriously, one GM artist clearly has a thing for Monet as his compositions refrence him frequently) but unless y'all want to see painting of rich white idealized people I'll pedal softly on those

Station Wagons were often 1) the most expensive line in a model, and the one families most often bought.

Another thing about these ads was ad copy, which was typically much longer than it is today

Also, in the 1965-1970 era things were so good you'll see a lot of ads specifically targeting the "second car" family.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

This somehow makes me think of Bizarro World Doctor Who.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

My personal favorite is this one from 1942. I think the story behind the loopy ad copy is that at some point in the 1930s, somebody was making cola and labeling it "Koke".

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

My personal favorite is this one from 1942. I think the story behind the loopy ad copy is that at some point in the 1930s, somebody was making cola and labeling it "Koke".

Coca-Cola Company v. Koke Company went all the way to the US Supreme Court.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/254/143.html

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

new content:

interesting that they felt it necessary to explain what the term meant

"Look in the Books" is a reference to weather almanacs, which published entire years of meteorological forecasts at a time. I have no idea why the store's owners felt it was important that they Paid No Rent.

any nobbier and it could apply for a post in the Ankh-Morpork City Watch

in 1904, this is what teenage boys masturbated to

You just don't see advertisers associating their own products with suicide any more.

... or saying "bunkoed".

clothes that will bring out the ejaculation!

Fascinating that they'd feel the need to explain why a refrigerator is useful

"Political ketchup ad" ?

(actual front-page headline in a real non-parody newspaper)

"Slightly Shopworn Drop Heads"?

stick a glowtube up your nose and cure all ails!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What the motherfucking poo poo.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

my aunt collected classic coca-cola posters and cookie tins and poo poo but i dont remember seeing that weird rear end character around. mostly it was santas

gently caress yeah my baby drinks blatz - through my titty

heroin - the sedative for coughs

cellophane - KILL YOURE FAMILY

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

oystertoadfish posted:

cellophane - KILL YOURE FAMILY

This is so *wrong*

Parahexavoctal posted:

You just don't see advertisers associating their own products with suicide any more.

I forget what this is for; wanna say hair product?

Parahexavoctal posted:

"Political ketchup ad" ?

Well if you're spending the money, might as well remind people.

All of the arrow shirt ads are horrible, they were like the Axe body spray of the 1950s:

Similarly this swimwear maker had ads filled with double meanings and Freudian imagery:

Speaking of

Remember! Dress nicely, it's the law!

Generally they were a little too on the nose about this sorta thing:

Of course there was literally other stuff they were insensitive to

Don't even know why I kept this one:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

how generous

i see a lot of ads that for books and lectures that are like "who are the russians? what are they thinking? what are they going to dooooooooo?" suggesting that everyday life in the soviet union was more or less a mystery to the average american.

hmmm i wonder why they don't really do this anymore. hmmm. hmmmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

21st century guy: "who cares"

it's me, i'm waste king universal

this is weird, i can't find any information on this group and that address is a residential apartment in upper manhattan. i'm thinking either a kook or a cia phishing scheme for commie sympathizers

i bet that some of those plays were hilarious dogshit. here's my spec for hobo: spotlight in the middle of the stage. a man with a stick and bindle steps into the middle and addresses the audience. "well hello there. my name's joe, but you can call me hobo joe or just hobo. i bet you don't see me when you walk down the street. or maybe, you don't want to see me..." etc. etc.

"uh did we get any big names?"

still a lot of stuff that in this age of mass mass mass production you would consider some bullshit you get at ikea

jesus christ JESUS CHRIST

some cool booze and cool dudes

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

O, OYSTERS!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

tell me more about beating the firemen to a happy ending, edna :pervert:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I might be misunderstanding this but Moby Dick is a one-man show?

Bockscar
Jun 17, 2007

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipamazine

(and yes, that was indeed a one-man adaptation of Moby Dick - I was expecting to say that it sank without a trace, but Philip Hanson was apparently quite successful with this, and was still doing it in the '80s.)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Parahexavoctal posted:

(and yes, that was indeed a one-man adaptation of Moby Dick - I was expecting to say that it sank without a trace, but Philip Hanson was apparently quite successful with this, and was still doing it in the '80s.)

I'm amazed

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its been a hwile since i updated this - and ive gotten a lil crazier.... uh so pardon if there are any repeats

its very difficult to relate to the idea of like.... advertising a shipment of sugarplums that came from portugal in the newspaper. "honey, fuckin check it out they're from portugal get out hte stationary and the checkbook we're going to enquore if they would discount it if we bought a lot o 20 of em"

what up my comedy nerds

no thank-you

dangerous and frightening characters like poets n folk singers

i think it stinks, commie

i wonder if you could trace a line of flight between advertisements like this and the adoption of eastern philosophy by westerners (fuckin hippies) towards the end of the decade

in 1962, i'm starting to see a lot more political advertising..... kennedy is prez right now uh in case you were wondering

:q: :pervert: :q:

these play titles are still hilarious

:q: :pervert: :q:

walton's truffle? indubitably
egg l'orange? youbetcha
creamed oyster? uff-da!

this chef seems really unconcerned for how bad he's loving his own poo poo up

of the uh, i guess you would call them big three of silent comedy leading men - buster keaton, harold lloyd and charlie chaplin - harold lloyd was always my favorite. he just had such a charming smile~~~

you might have seen this clip of him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcTjhUN_7U

literarily significant gross dude arthur miller

this was my favorite liquor store in all of nyc because for a month they had bombay sapphire on sale on a deep discount..... never had that sale again, but i was forever chasing that sale dragon

no i dont think i will

:gowron:

you want me to snort..... oh oh ok i think i see what you're saying very nice. very nice

the infection........begins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb-rihW_SwU

....thanks esquore

:same:

they say that late at night, if you listen really closely, you can hear the soft (tink tink tink) of the telephone man out on the peak, luring children to a tumbling death

i get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i still dont understand what is with the extra dividend days

nitecrew!!!!!!

i uh.................... wonder if this is medically accurate

this one's not particularly remarkable..... none have been so far this year. i just like corinthian columns

MY MOTHER-IN-LAW

the telephone ads are actually almost always amazing. this one's some weird kind of housewife shaming????

oops how did this one get in here ha ha

i realize that i gravitate naturally towards any advertisement that's like "THING!!! THING!!! THING!!!!" so its kind of an effective strategy

1963 kind of sucks

• Locked thread