Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.

Shlapintogan posted:

I got you, friendo.

This is why you are my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That was one rude mansquito at 09:42.

Edit: Actually, the sun really reminds me of a... particular type of eye disfigurement? Damned if I can remember what it is called, though.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 24, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Samovar posted:

That was one rude mansquito at 09:42.

Edit: Actually, the sun really reminds me of a... particular type of eye disfigurement? Damned if I can remember what it is called, though.

This is entirely intentional, as the key item for entering the DLC is the Eye of a Blood Drunk Hunter. In which the pupil has collapsed and turned to mush, a sign of the onset of the Scourge of Beasts. Make what you will of the fact that the DLC sun looks like such a pupil.

Also on the note of the gender of the Great Ones. Ebreitas is the daughter of the Cosmos. The Wet Nurse is pretty obviously female by name, except in my opinion there's something very weird going on with the Wet Nurse, which is that it's not a real Great One, it's a manifestation made by Mergo (Nightmare Newborn) based on the Shadows of Yharnam as protection. Rom is never gendered in game but I think was called female by one of the developers. Amygdala is called Lord by Patches, which suggests masculinity but might just be him going on about his god. The Emissary and friends I'm pretty sure are the members of the Choir, or experiments on children and as such likely contain both men and women. Oedon who is described in a few runes is said to be male, but exists only in voice and maybe blood. I think Mergo is also suggested to be male.

So whilst there's a nearly even split so far in regards to lore you've fought all of the definitely female Great Ones and none of the definitely male ones.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 24, 2016

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Lord_Magmar posted:

the pupil has collapsed and turned to mush, a sign of the onset of the Scourge of Beasts.

:stonk:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also on the note of the gender of the Great Ones. Ebreitas is the daughter of the Cosmos. The Wet Nurse is pretty obviously female by name, except in my opinion there's something very weird going on with the Wet Nurse, which is that it's not a real Great One, it's a manifestation made by Mergo (Nightmare Newborn) based on the Shadows of Yharnam as protection. Rom is never gendered in game but I think was called female by one of the developers. Amygdala is called Lord by Patches, which suggests masculinity but might just be him going on about his god. The Emissary and friends I'm pretty sure are the members of the Choir, or experiments on children and as such likely contain both men and women. Oedon who is described in a few runes is said to be male, but exists only in voice and maybe blood. I think Mergo is also suggested to be male.

So whilst there's a nearly even split so far in regards to lore you've fought all of the definitely female Great Ones and none of the definitely male ones.

Having played through the game again just recently, I can confirm that Patches refers to Amygdala as "he". Amygdala in general is kind of the odd one out in terms of Great Ones. There's a lot of his kind roaming the world as opposed any other Great One you encounter (outside of Chalice Dungeons) and, as you mentioned, he's pretty much the only male one you fight. He's an interesting exception to the rule in a lot of ways.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I've always liked the theory that the Amygdala is one consciousness over a very large number of bodies, and the one you fight is the Prime body so to speak. It's interesting that unlike Mergo's Wet Nurse and thus Mergo he doesn't give a Nightmare Slain message, possibly because you haven't actually slain the Amygdala, merely removed a hand or leg.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 28: In Which I Disappoint Everyone

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008
I don't know if I've ever seen someone get owned this hard in one video.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I actually agree about the Horse thing, I think Ludwig would ride his horse around and intentionally give off the image of a proper holy knight instead of a shady Hunter like Gehrman, who would be his predecessor in leading the Hunters of Yharnam. But of course in a hunt a Horse is as likely to be harmed as a human, and being a good owner Ludwig would treat it with the Healing Blood as he would himself, and when they turned they turned together fusing into one being.

Ludwig's original human head is the Silver-beast looking growth growing out his neck, and that's why they have 8 limbs and 2 heads and such, because their were originally 2 creatures into one. This is also why the personality transformation happens, Ludwig remained inside his head and the Horse took control for the most time, but when you hit him hard enough which mind is in control swaps.

I'm a little sad you didn't get the other bit of dialogue from the campy guy, as he talks about how Ludwig died a true hero, with his ideals intact and that he earned that much at least. Which is interesting because he did indeed die a true hero, as himself defending the secrets of his masters and thus for a certain value of hero he died as such.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 27, 2016

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm a little sad you didn't get the other bit of dialogue from the campy guy, as he talks about how Ludwig died a true hero, with his ideals intact and that he earned that much at least. Which is interesting because he did indeed die a true hero, as himself defending the secrets of his masters and thus for a certain value of hero he died as such.

Tbh, it's mostly 'cause I just assumed that always happened. Like I've said in one of these DLC videos, I've only played through the DLC once, and the first time through I answered him the opposite way (which caused Simon to show up and shove an arrow in his eye).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kobuddy posted:

Tbh, it's mostly 'cause I just assumed that always happened. Like I've said in one of these DLC videos, I've only played through the DLC once, and the first time through I answered him the opposite way (which caused Simon to show up and shove an arrow in his eye).

I think Simon always does it just based on if you warp in and out enough times, but I'm not sure and you definitely have to have been to the top of the elevator to get it to occur I'm pretty sure.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's interesting, the design of Ludwig; his 'human' head is essentially a mockery of the Bergymwerth scholar's original goals - he has only eyes on the inside of his head, but is most certainly NOT enlightened. Kinda... a cruel irony, as it were.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 29: Elevators.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Bloodborne is truly just about escaping the 90s. The Hunt is ultimately a giant metaphor for radical skateboarding. The newborn child you must silence is 90s Kid.

EDIT:
I noticed you left plip plop party popper alive. Are you going to get the brain fluids?

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Alternative title to this video: "Kobuddy, why"

I'm starting to worry about Kevin's sense of direction.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
In a video full of goofs, one goof stands high above the rest.

Also wow, such sass from the guest commentary this time. Completely deserved sass in this case, mind you. Honestly Kevin, I thought you were the good boy.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn05qpn2e1Y

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
(Up to Video 14):
Aaaagh poo poo I literally never put the "borne" -> "born" -> 'themes of birth and literal babies' connection together before now. :doh:

Also you guys are a pretty great LP team. Hope you keep making videos together!

Edit: Did you/anyone in the thread ever spell out what happened to the little girl you sent to safety for the co-commentators?
Edit 2: Happened right after I wrote that. :doh:x2

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 10, 2016

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 30: Good Boy Beams

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Henceforth all arcane implements in this game are good boy beam emitters.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Kevin has a long way to go before he can truly master his Good Boy Beams.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Certainly a Call from Beyond is the best of boy beams.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Always remember to ask before using you're good boy beams

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Formally requesting a picture of two bloodbornes firing good boy beams at each other and having them collide dbz style.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
(Still catching up...)

Commentators: [dead silence]
Mergo's Wet Nurse: [unfolds to reveal multitude of knife-limbs]
Compufreak: "...hmm!" :crossarms:

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 31: Bloodborne After Dark

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Bloodborne really is the most anime thing.

I always wondered why people mocked Maria on some forums but man after seeing that she's a 2kat weilding fire dracula with infinity blood range. That's so hilariously cringy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

Bloodborne really is the most anime thing.

I always wondered why people mocked Maria on some forums but man after seeing that she's a 2kat weilding fire dracula with infinity blood range. That's so hilariously cringy.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
I can't believe Kevin brutally killed Mama Bleaksol in cold blood. Disappointing for Yharnam's Ultimate Good Good Boy.

Maria is one of my favourite bosses in the whole Soulsborne collection. It's so frantic and fun to play through, especially the first time when you see her bag of tricks for the first time. That moment of "hey what is she OH poo poo BLOOD MAGIC DEATH SWORDS" is such a rush. Also incredibly frustrating since she won't ever let you back off and heal past that point, but still so satisfying to bring her down at last.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Wow that Living Failure fight was... horribly long. Are they resistant to whatever damage the wheel gives out?

Edit: Hah! Does Maria hold her gun to the side when she shoots?!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 13, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Samovar posted:

Wow that Living Failure fight was... horribly long. Are they resistant to whatever damage the wheel gives out?

The wheel's not all that strong of a weapon in the first place, but the Living Failures do just have a shitton of health. You're best off going for visceral attacks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Damnit, what's the music that's played during the Maria montage?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Ah, I do love how all those numbers are actually real. What a fantastic image.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Samovar posted:

Damnit, what's the music that's played during the Maria montage?

It's from Catherine, and it's called Bizet - L'Arlésienne Second Suite Farandole

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

There it is!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Funnily enough her weapon, the Rakuyo, is one of the most powerful weapons for a Skill user and it can really wreck bosses very quickly.

I think only the Chikage can match it in power, which makes sense as they are sister weapons.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 31A: Tale as Old as Time

Just some small wrap up for this episode, before we head to the third and final area of the DLC.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Man the wheel kinda sucks.

Edit: I think this link may be of interest considering the last thing talked about.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 15, 2016

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Ha, I completely forgot I suggested that song for the death montage. Glad to know you actually went with it. I've been ramming my head against Laurence in NG+ lately and hoo boy, he's even worse with his inflated health pool. May have to try that ranged strategy next time I decide I want to get mad at video games again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So, I have a few questions now that we're here.

- I've seen a lot of mini videos of people showing off with broccoli-mode. What exactly is the advantage of fighting with your vegetables? Also, you gonna show it off?

-For the lightning line spell, does it hit multiple times or just once? It almost looks like if you used it closer it would've done more hits. Also, is lightning cheaper than eyeball, cause it felt like the former was doing double the damage.

• Locked thread