Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Highwang posted:

So, I have a few questions now that we're here.

- I've seen a lot of mini videos of people showing off with broccoli-mode. What exactly is the advantage of fighting with your vegetables? Also, you gonna show it off?
It synergizes with a certain weapon that we haven't seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

-For the lightning line spell, does it hit multiple times or just once? It almost looks like if you used it closer it would've done more hits. Also, is lightning cheaper than eyeball, cause it felt like the former was doing double the damage.

It can only hit each enemy once. That plus it's higher bullet cost (5 compared to the Eye's 1) makes it a poor choice unless you just want to do higher burst damage. Still really good for groups of enemies.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Laurence's theme is so good guys.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So the Sunflower thing is actually pretty interesting, because Sunflowers follow the sun through the sky. Now these are actually called Lumenflowers, as this is the Lumenwood garden and downstairs is the Lumenflower gardens. Of note is that the Lumenflowers look a lot like closed Sunflowers, so they might actually be a special breed attuned to the celestial energies just as normal sunflowers would appear to be attuned to solar energy.

Samovar posted:

Wow that Living Failure fight was... horribly long. Are they resistant to whatever damage the wheel gives out?

Edit: Hah! Does Maria hold her gun to the side when she shoots?!

They are actually resistant to arcane I'm pretty sure, also yes Maria holds her gun side-ways. Anyone using the Cainhurst gun Evelynn does the same thing, so it's specifically a Cainhurst thing.

Other interesting things about this fight, she has a few moves that are very similar to things Gehrman does. She also has two unique visceral attack animations, which are either hugging you close and whispering in your ear or kissing your cheek. Both of these are done whilst she's got her hand deep in your gut and then she tears it out of you.

Edit: On the note of Laurence being on fire, you'd think this would mean fire is ineffective against him but no it still works. Furthermore I'm pretty sure he's permanently ablaze because he was the reason Djura and the Powder Kegs burnt Old Yharnam to the ground, and thus he burned with it.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 16, 2016

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 32: Owned by Murlocs

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
those ain't fishes everywhere. they're slugs

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I personally think the city below the ocean is just the Hunter's Nightmare, not Yharnam itself. But that's probably not a particularly important distinction at this point. Also there's a little more than just Byrgenwerth experimenting on the villagers, and weirdly enough I don't think it's them who the curse is applied to actually, even though they're the ones behind what happened.

Also you've given your co-commentators incorrect information about Maria and her Rakuyo. She hated blood blades which is why she uses the Rakuyo and not the Chikage, she threw it down because she could stomach the Rakuyo no longer, which suggests she grew disgusted with the lifestyle of a Hunter and possibly what happened at the Fishing Hamlet. The fact that she uses Blood Blades in her fight even though it's a version of the Rakuyo brought forth from her memories suggests she really doesn't want you to see what happened at the Fishing Hamlet. She did something by force of will that usually requires a specially produced and ritually inscribed blade, so she must be a very strong Vileblood.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 23, 2016

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
It's kind of neat how the hanging corpse at the beginning on the village is the same shape as the hunter's mark.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

They're not fish-dogs, they're obviously dogfish!

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
It hadn't occurred to me that the "curse" placed on Byrgenwerth by the inhabitants of the Fishing Hamlet (or their *aherm* matron) might've been, in fact, the curse of Beasthood. Is there any evidence one way or another? At first blush, I would've assumed the whole Hunter's Nightmare was the manifestation of their curse - unjustly falling on the Hunters, as "descendants" (through blood, of course) of the Byrgenwerth scholars who committed the crime. (Leaving Beasthood/the Scourge as just, y'know, one of those things. Exhibit #257 for why you shouldn't go around doping with Alien Squid God blood.)

Also: do we ever find out what exactly Byrgenwerth came for / took from the village? I remember it being pretty unequivocally stated that the whole blood-experimentation thing is kicked off by something they found in a Chalice Dungeon (Old One blood, presumably); so they must've been looking for something else in the Hamlet, right? Just more sources of weird blood to tinker with?

Panderfringe posted:

It's kind of neat how the hanging corpse at the beginning on the village is the same shape as the hunter's mark.

There are a lot of hanging-upside-down corpses throughout the game; someone (maybe VaatiVidya?) suggested that the Hunter's Mark may actually be directly representative of people executed/displayed in that way. Some sort of ritual method of disposing of beasts. (A thought just occurs: the victim is hung upside down and their throat slit - in order to maximize the amount of blood that can be collected from them. )

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 24, 2016

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 33: The Secret Word is Halloween

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Oh boy, the snail ladies. They're really irritating to deal with, but the Boom Hammer's chargeg, ignited R2 is wonderful for dealing with them. Also extremely satisfying to slam that hammer down on 'em.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Compufreak was slightly incorrect with his Shadow Over Innsmouth summary. It was contact that caused the people of Innsmouth to become fish-like, it was generations of breeding with the Deep Ones resulting in most of the people bearing their blood and thus inevitably turning into fish people as they aged. Even the protagonist having a very slight bit of Innsmouth ancestry was enough to cause that to happen to him, eventually.

The women are snails are are possibly a soft reference to Junji Ito's Uzumaki.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I've been following this LP for a few episodes but only now found the thread, just wanted to say that I adore this LP and wanted to congratulate you nerds for making it.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Yeah, that was a lot of talk about Shadow & H.P.L. to not once use the word "miscegenation."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

One thing I do like about the Hamlet is that you can see how flooded the place usually gets.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 34: Indestructible

Small correction of myself in the description; I'm pretty sure what I said in regards to Kos in this episode was wrong.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Regarding Lovecraft and math, I'm fairly certain he was fine with Pythagoras and all that jazz. I think all the impossible angles and non-Euclidean geometry stuff was essentially his reaction to the more recent advancements in math, stuff like imaginary numbers.

Kobuddy posted:

Small correction of myself in the description; I'm pretty sure what I said in regards to Kos in this episode was wrong.

I don't think you are. I think it's pretty strongly implied that Byrgenwerth is directly responsible for the death of Mother Kos, with Gehrman likely being the specific hunter that did it. That's why the villagers put the curse of blood upon the hunters, why it targets all hunters (it was targeted at Gehrman and all his "children" which means all successive generations of hunters), and why Gehrman stops having nightmares once you've killed the Orphan, the source of the nightmare.

e: Also I will fight you on your opinion that the Kos Parasite is trash. It's a bit tougher to make good since it's very picky with regards to what blood gems are actually good in it, but even without good blood gems it's actually a lot stronger than its low AR would imply. Most of its attacks have shockingly high AR multipliers, with the R1s in both forms having 2.00+ multipliers. For reference, most other weapons move multipliers don't go over 1.5, and even the charged moves usually top out at around 2.0. You also didn't show off the L2 move which is pretty much the best spell in the game and makes the weapon worth using just as a slightly more complex hunter's tool.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 30, 2016

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008
I can't believe you got owned by a lovely music choice.

Also, Ragny would probably be shocked by how often mundane poo poo kills elder gods with Lovecraft.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mister Xenophobe posted:

I can't believe you got owned by a lovely music choice.

Also, Ragny would probably be shocked by how often mundane poo poo kills elder gods with Lovecraft.

Eh, at least if you're talking about Lovecraft's own stuff, actual eldritch abominations aren't ever unduly affected. I think the most that ever happens is Cthulhu getting pushed back into R'leyh by a steam ship but that's basically the equivalent of hitting the snooze button on his alarm clock. If something gets killed it's either the mortal offspring of an Old One, or some sort of alien being that is superior technologically to humanity but it still a living breathing creature that can be killed with guns and poo poo. And the humans involved usually end up going crazy anyway so even that's kind of a wash.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm pretty sure Mother Kos washed up on the beach, Gehrman killed the original Sweet Child/Orphan of Kos though. The curse is primarily targeted at Gehrman and his Hunter's though, and likely the Nightmare was originally the First Hunter's Nightmare instead of just the Hunter's Nightmare.

My other big thought about this all is that Laurence is also being punished because he was the scholar in charge of the trip to the Hamlet, and thus the one who ordered the assault and experimentation. Also that the reason Kos died and washed up on the beach was so that her child could live, as every Great One loses their child, Kos decided the loss would be her own death so that the Child could still live and yet be lost to her.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 1, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So was Ebrietas found before or after Kos? Because in the base game it seems like Ebrietas was the source of the Church's healing blood and got everything started.

Also great lp. I love the reverse Geop format you've got going on.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ebrietas was the healing church's second chance after they lost access to blood

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Which I assume happened during the burning of Old Yharnam, as the Chalice they originally used is found there in the modern day. So during the time of the Research Hall they only had second hand blood so to speak, nothing fresh only stuff already diluted and horded by the Pthumerians, all the work was to refine it back to as close to Great One as possible. Then they lose the chalice and can't access the dungeons until they find Isz and with it Ebrietas, who gives them pure Great One Blood and lets them succeed at creating the Celestial Emmisary, compared to the Living Failures of the Research Hall.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I can't help but feel pity for the poor creature; even if he is a bastard to fight.

Also, I think the reason that Kos is so named is because Hippocrates - the first healer - actually comes from the island of the same name.

Edit: Last scene - I didn't know you could cosplay as OctoDad!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 1, 2016

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 35: A Tale of Souls and Swords, Eternally Retold

I meant for this to upload at 1 pm, not 1 am.

Oops.

But yeah, that's the end of the game. Now, there's an hour and a half long retrospective we recorded. That'll go up...sometime in the future. Due to the way my mic worked, it's going to be hell to edit.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I personally think the empowerment of hunters to kill Great Ones isn't a personal goal of the Moon Presence, it's actually part of the original agreement made between it and Laurence. You can find lore in the game that says that Laurence and his fellows made contact with the Moon Presence, and from knowledge that Great Ones are sympathetic in nature I suspect that the request from Laurence was to empower people so as to keep the research of the Healing Church from ever self-destructing.

Essentially Laurence and Gehrman made a deal with the Moon presence, in return for Gehrman living as it's surrogate the Moon Presence will animate the Doll for him and empower Hunters to protect the Healing Church's future. Gehrman is waiting for Laurence's research to complete because Laurence promised to retrieve him when that had happened, alongside the Doll and possibly Maria because Laurence would be a Great One at that point.

On why it can't take control of you in this ending and why it's so weak I imagine it has to do with you being very nearly an infant Great One at this point, so instead of a lesser being it can control you're an equal it cannot. Particularly noteworthy is that Gehrman is missing a leg when sitting in the chair, and so are you after the ending where you kill him but get taken, so apparently the Moon Presence eats right legs. It being an easy fight is pretty nice all told because they are back to back and it's entirely possible that the Moon Presence has never had to fight much, it also looks mostly dead as it is so it's entirely possible that it is trying to heal from a long ago injury and that's why the Hunters.

Also the best description of this ending I've ever heard is as follows; "You're a kid now, you're a squid now".

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Kevin is now the ultimate good boy.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Kevin is ready to splat some nerds.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

All that she wants

Is another baby

Shes gone tommorow boy

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Shlapintogan posted:

Kevin is now the ultimate good boy.

Yes, by virtue of becoming 4/3 of the other good boys. That's just math!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

No, no. The currency has a different name, so the video should be titled 'A Story of Steel and Blood Echo's told through Time'.

Edit: I just realised Gehrman dying looks like he's trying to make contact one last time.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 10, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

^never noticed that
Thats a real neat touch

White Coke
May 29, 2015
No chalice dungeons then? I guess they'd interfere with the continuity thats been established.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
How can Kevin, the ultimate good boy, go into the chalice dungeons? He's got no arms to hit things with any more! And that Bleaksol's off sitting in his new chair, the old edgelord. You'd need a real bad dude to take on the dungeons now. A loose cannon kinda guy, you know?

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

White Coke posted:

No chalice dungeons then? I guess they'd interfere with the continuity thats been established.

Chalice Dungeons will be up eventually. The person who's doing them for me is very busy, between his job and his own LP, so it's just taking a while. With luck, we should be able to get a couple up in between this update and the retrospective.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I can't wait to find out how this mysterious new person is related to the Bleaksol lineage.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Wordybird posted:

How can Kevin, the ultimate good boy, go into the chalice dungeons? He's got no arms to hit things with any more! And that Bleaksol's off sitting in his new chair, the old edgelord. You'd need a real bad dude to take on the dungeons now. A loose cannon kinda guy, you know?

There's no one like that.

e: vvv EXCEPT FOR BADDER COP

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 13, 2016

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

So, remember how I said I'm having someone else do chalice dungeons for me?

Meet BADDER COP and Badder Cop: recorded by Bohampscious and Goggalor.

Bloodborne Co-op Chalice Dungeons [1] - The Cop AU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
In the criminal justice system, blood-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In Yharnam, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the bloodcrimes unit. These are their stories. :doink:

• Locked thread