Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

mr_cramalldees posted:

Are we just gonna ignore this gem?

Definitive proof that squirrels are vermin that can be induced to kill themselves, much like ants and fruit flies.

Come to think of it, you could probably do this with deer if you had a pit conveniently laying around... :unsmigghh:

e; context for this awful snype:

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I'm trying to grow Peppers from seed and everything went well until I transplanted the 2" seedlings and then 75% of them damped off. poo poo I barely watered you guys and it's been hot as hell out. I think the potting soil I got must have been bad. I sprayed with anti-fungal too. Gardening is hard.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

don't water the leaves. just water the soil. watering the leaves on a hot and/or sunny day will burn many plants.

this is why watering in the morning/evening is best.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

psychokitty posted:

Surprisingly, plants grow from seeds!!!

This fall I'll have about a hundred or so coriander seeds that will either become new cilantro plants or curry.

zounds! who knew?
but most people grow lavenders from cuttings

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

satanic splash-back posted:

don't water the leaves. just water the soil. watering the leaves on a hot and/or sunny day will burn many plants.

water? does it have what plants crave? will Red Bull or Monster work good if one has no Brawndo?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Luvcow posted:

squirrel trap that my neighbor uses:

fill a barrel halfway with water and cover the surface with apples then put several boards/ramps leading up to it, wait for the squirrels to jump in and drown

i do not do this because they never really wreck my stuff but my neighbor is hardcore and salt of the earth so its always interesting to talk with him about his gardening strategies

That's like a super gruesome version of the hamster trap I used to make when I was a kid and had hamsters escape. You put down a bucket with some peanut butter at the bottom and a ramp up to the edge, and dumb rodents will harmlessly drop right in.

Well I guess not harmlessly if your intent is to drown them to death but

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Fat Jesus posted:

water? does it have what plants crave? will Red Bull or Monster work good if one has no Brawndo?

Nope you have to use water. From the toilet.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

This is the truth and why I only water at midnight. Leaf are fragile and precious.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

They didn't burn off/scorch, the tiny bit of water I put in the pot damped them off (fungal infection of the stem). My nice green robust seedlings just flopped over like a fat rich businessman's cocaine boner and withered away.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
here's a pic of me and my buds(get it lol) gardening:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

can I ask for plant advice? :blush:

I stole a twig of honey suckle, my favorite plant ever from childhood and used growth hormone to make it sprout. Its been in a ...very large pot for about 3 years now, and it just flowered for the first time this spring.

I want to plant it in my yard so it can get bigger. Its reached max size in the pot at about 3 feet.

What's the best way to plant it and let it expand without it going apeshit and just taking over everything?

I'm in 6b... I was considering putting a sheet of the hatched wood stuff on my second level deck but I was afraid the honeysuckle would make the wasps even worse there.

Maybe a trestle resting against the side of my house? the back is just that plastic siding stuff so I don't think the vines would destroy it?

I also considered a gazebo or pergola but again, worried about wasps incoming and also maybe the vines destroying the wood.

[edit] when i grew p poor we had chain link fence and it was perfect for honey suckle. That poo poo would just grow all over everything and own. Im not allowed to have a fence right now because it might block the view to my lake for the people that didn't get as good a lot as me. Makes no sense its my lot I should be able to block everyone elses views with my amazing honeysuckle but alas I would get in trouble with the home owners association.

I could, in the future, put up wrought iron fence but my neighbors probably don't want the honeysuckle on their fences because they bitches.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 23, 2016

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
I piss on my lemon tree - that's gardening, right?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Jeff Sichoe posted:

I piss on my lemon tree - that's gardening, right?

Am I gardening your mom?

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

poopnanners posted:

Can anyone recommend a plant that will thrive indoors without a lot of sun? Maybe one that would be good at keeping me company. No cacti please.

There's three off the top of my head which are practically impossible to kill and can handle the low light of indoors.
pothos vine
snake plant (sanservia)
peace lily

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lt. Tanaka posted:

There's three off the top of my head which are practically impossible to kill and can handle the low light of indoors.
pothos vine
snake plant (sanservia)
peace lily

Are succulents cactus or are you just worried about spines? Get an aloe plant. Doesn't need a ton of sun or much water, but you would have some post sun burn treatment on strap yo.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Wendigee posted:

Are succulents cactus or are you just worried about spines? Get an aloe plant. Doesn't need a ton of sun or much water, but you would have some post sun burn treatment on strap yo.

Aloes tend to need full sun and might not grow so well inside. They're extremely hard to kill though!

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Do not plant honeysuckle in your yard unless you want to create a giant mess of overgrowth

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

ChrisHansen posted:

Do not plant honeysuckle in your yard unless you want to create a giant mess of overgrowth

but it smells so gooooooood!!!!

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
It does and you should plant it in your yard. But it is a mother fucker

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Aloes tend to need full sun and might not grow so well inside. They're extremely hard to kill though!

Mine had like very little sun for a year, it didn't die, it did get kinda sickly green colored... but I've water the little dude and put him in the west facing window and he is dark green and full of juices....

spider plant!!! the hanging plant! it doesn't need sun, and as long as you water it it won't ever die.

you do have to water it thoughl.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

ChrisHansen posted:

It does and you should plant it in your yard. But it is a mother fucker

I'f I got like a trellis or wooden-thatch wall thingy and just killed anything not on that every fall wouldn't it be okay? What do you mean overgrowth?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

when i was a kid we used to pick the honeysuckle blossoms and pull this little green nub that would pul the stamen through the base of the flower and there was the jasminey sweet nectar you could lick off it owned bones. I believe that's where the plant got the name from.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

This is a PSA:
Do not plant invasive species in your yard. This includes but is not limited to Japanese bush honeysuckle. Not only will you not be able to control the plant itself, but rear end in a top hat birbs will eat the fruit and spread that poo poo everywhere. This is why there's a continuing program to combat invasive honeysuckle all over the midwest. Keep it in your pot.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

:(

Fruit? Theres no fruit on this plant... its just blossoms and jasmine scent...

Is there not a native honeysuckle for 'Merica?

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 23, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Gardening drives my allergies to 15. Kill all plants.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Wendigee posted:

:(

Fruit? Theres no fruit on this plant... its just blossoms and jasmine scent...

Is there not a native honeysuckle for 'Merica?

I actually just murdered a 15 foot tall "fruitless" mulberry tree because it started making fruit and there was purple poo poo everywhere.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'm planting this really cool vine in the southern US, it's called 'kudzu' and it's just really pretty

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I'm planting this really cool vine in the southern US, it's called 'kudzu' and it's just really pretty

Run.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Wendigee posted:

I actually just murdered a 15 foot tall "fruitless" mulberry tree because it started making fruit and there was purple poo poo everywhere.

there is a tree like this in my backyard that dumps purple berry fruit for a few weeks every year and then it rots in the sun while bugs pick at it until i clean it up :mad:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Here is my honeysuckle potted plant. I watered it a couple times this week, its been 100+ degrees for 3 weeks and its still putting out flowers! its about to sprout!

http://imgur.com/hIyq4BL

This, I think, is the american version because there is no fruit?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

putting honeysuckle in a pot is like putting grass in a pot

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

thathonkey posted:

there is a tree like this in my backyard that dumps purple berry fruit for a few weeks every year and then it rots in the sun while bugs pick at it until i clean it up :mad:

just murder it and plant a catalpa or a maple!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

after googling I've determined that I have native honeysuckle because there is no fruit. so thanks for the invasive poo poo but thats not part of this.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
It's dusk. Going to water my tomater plants, pour myself another whiskey and get dinner ready.

:dong:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srTrDpxm1Uk

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Wendigee posted:

after googling I've determined that I have native honeysuckle because there is no fruit. so thanks for the invasive poo poo but thats not part of this.

The More You Know

Safe gardening, friend.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Ooh you can make kudzu jelly.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i dunno how to show a pic here i thought it was just <timg>link</timg> but that doesn't work for imgur?

with square brackets instead of lesser than or greater than signs.

i dunno...

here my honeysuckle that's about to bloom again... http://imgur.com/hIyq4BL

maybe i should just get a gianter pot so it can get bigger and not spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
im helping this girl with a garden and but shes still not letting me "mulch" her garden its getting tiresome

let me "dig" and find my "Bone" let me "tear into your delicious bush" and "labia" and "vagina"

• Locked thread