Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

hifi posted:

i think if you say phoenix failed at hockey then pittsburgh is right up there too with potentially selling the team

Has Pittsburgh ever been a successful hockey market without 2 of the top 5 players in the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd love it if a team with the visibility that the NHL provides would use a team mascot that goofy. I mean, not sure much can top the Gamecocks or the Ham Fighters, but still.

Ham Fighters are actually just the Fighters. They fight for the honour of their owners, Nippon Ham. Unfortunately, they are not hams the fight or people that fight hams.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

fits posted:

this is prior to people choosing to waive their nmc although it would be hilarious if horton refused to do so

see also: clowe, ryane;

It specifically says it excludes people who will waive and people who will be exempted due to injury so it's not actually Horton's choice.

Presumably dead people are on the protect list for now since they could make a miraculous recovery between now and the expansion draft.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Schlesische posted:

I seriously doubt the "I don't want to expand to a place that is already a rabid hockey fanbase" feeling is confined to Bettman.
And in a business sense, he's not wrong. There's more value in expanding your brand somewhere people don't know your name.

There's also value in taking the money rather than using it on lottery tickets.

What makes more sense? You invest $1000 with me and I will give you $50 a year for the rest of your life or you can give me an additional $25 year and eventually I may give you $100 a year starting 30 years down the road (there's a 20% chance that happens).

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

How many cities have the population and fan base to turn vegas games into home games? There's probably a lot of teams that will have fans that will take over when they are contenders, but who's going to send fans regardless of performance (like the Northeast teams in Florida)? I'd guess the 3 Cali teams, Vancouver, and O6 would have enough people to take over year in, year out. Are there enough people in Alberta to invade regularly? Philly?

• Locked thread