Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

i wouldn't be shocked if vegas made the playoffs their first year out. the west is really bad

Everyone but Vancouver is on the up and up in the Pacific. McDavid will be 20 in 2017-18 so the Oilers should really have their poo poo together by then. Gaudreau and the Flames should at worst be playoff also rans. The Coyotes don't have much high level talent, but are getting a lot better. . San Jose and LA should still have the remnants of their cup run teams to drag them into the playoffs. Vegas would be hard pressed to do anything of note with a team of castoffs and a solitary high draft pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

friedman said they were looking at gilman for assistant GM and that is honestly not a bad pairing

I'd say a McPhee/Gilman pairing is borderline fantastic.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Las Vegas BlackReds please and thank you

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

It's okay, Chicago is going to rename themselves the Chicago Ma Ka Tai Me She Kia Kiak

They'll just switch to what most fans call them anyways, the Chicago Actually It's Honoring His Legacies

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It costs next to nothing to register a domain name. I figure some IT department has been tasked with buying up every possibility from a list of a thousand so the team doesn't get scooped when it does settle on one it wants to go with. The last thing they want is to decide on "Desert Knights" but be forced to pay some pasty kid from Wisconsin $50,000 for the URL.

They'll be teamname.nhl.com in the end anyways.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 25, 2016

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

yellowcar posted:

Whoever made that is trying waaaay too hard.

That's internet 'comedy' in a nutshell

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This is a joke right? I plan conferences, and I've held one day planning meetings in Hamilton in nicer digs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

yellowcar posted:

"Step into my office" looks over and sees a maitenence closet next to the boiler room.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm sure Vegas aren't keen* to pay players to sit around doing nothing and not contributing for a year either. I think it's probably fair to give Vegas 1st waiver priority from the start of the off-season up until the first game of the 2017-18 season though.

*judging by that locker 'room' read: "don't have the money"

e: Sin Bin is the weirdest loving blog

quote:

Well, I got an email about a month and a half ago with something I wanted to share with everyone who visits this site, but we’ve been waiting for the perfect time to do it. When we broke the news that November 22nd is the date of the team name unveil, the story I was sent got it’s necessary conclusion, and now it’s time to share it to the world.

The author’s name is Michael Shevlane and he sent in what he dubbed “a dectective noir” about the team name saga the Las Vegas franchise has gone through since the announcement of the team. Without further ado, I present you,

“The Case of the Missing Name”
FROM THE DESK OF BILLY SNEAKS, P.I

Then follows a full, horribly written fan fiction about the fact that Vegas doesn't have a team name yet.

quote:

Their don, a big-money type called Foley, or how he’s know on the streets, The Creator, is said to be putting his feelers out all over town, finding drones for his clan, if you get me

quote:

Kenny looked at me grimly. “For all we know, it may be that Foley is the hero in this piece. If the Silver & Black are coming, it is gonna get ugly. Bribes, guns, spiked shoulder pads, the whole nine.”

:psyduck:

http://sinbin.vegas/the-case-of-the-missing-name/

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 24, 2016

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

After looking at that I'm pretty sure Nashville gave Anthony Bitetto a 2-year deal purely to satisfy the exposure requirements (one D under contract in 17-18 with 40 GP in 2016-17 or 70gp in 2015-2017).

The Canucks signed Richard Bachman to a one year extension in the summer entirely for that reason.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Vegas are getting a free agency exclusivity window where they can sign any pending free agents left unprotected in the 48 hours leading up the the expansion draft. That includes RFAs.

quote:

the Vegas organization will have a 48-hour window ahead of the expansion draft in June to speak with and sign any pending unrestricted or restricted free agents that the 30 teams left unprotected for the expansion draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/lebrun-vegas-to-get-head-start-on-free-agency-1.594178

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

They are finally naming this dumb team tomorrow.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Do you honestly believe that?

I wouldn't put it past Foley to pull a big sheet off a statue that says "NAME COMING 2017" and then just shrug to the crowd.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'm assuming at least 5 of them are just the sin bin guy breathing heavily into the microphone

You wanted grandiose, slightly offputting statements from those Sin Bin sycophants? Well they delivered!

quote:

November 22nd, 2016 will go down in the history books forever. Tonight an organization that was considered to be a pipe dream or a joke of a thought by many will get it’s name, and in turn, it’s identity. know it’s just a name, but it’s a name that will find it’s rightful place in the history books of one of the most colorful cities in the world, Las Vegas.

http://sinbin.vegas/historical-night-means-us/

They're naming a pro sports team... They sound like south American communist guerrillas preparing to storm the state capitol.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

WHO'S READY FOR A NEW NAME?

quote:

Just a few weeks out from the reveal of their name and logo, the Vegas Golden Knights have hit a setback, as their trademark request was denied by the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/12/7/13879416/vegas-golden-knights-trademark-application-denied-bill-foley-nhl-expansion

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zeeman posted:

Man, the NHL is such a bush league sometimes

Only sometimes?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I love this wreck of a franchise.

quote:

Foley admitted that his franchise received permission from the Clarkson University Golden Knights to use the name, but they apparently forgot to seek the same from the Army and the small NCAA Div. II school College of St. Rose, which is based in Albany, N.Y.

http://www.tsn.ca/vegas-golden-knights-trademark-denied-by-u-s-government-1.626523

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

B) gently caress you forever Benning if you, in fact, do not protect a 23yo 19 goal scorer. You idiot.

Granlund is neither especially young or good. His shooting % was 15.6% this year which is best in the league level quality. Drop that down to a even a very good 12% (nearly a full percentage point higher than his career average coming into this season) and he nets a pedestrian 15 goals or 17 over a full season. Basically, he's been given a top six role because there's no one else to fill it and he's performed around replacement level. Granlund's G/60 this year is currently 8th for all Canucks over the last 4 years sandwiched between Sven Baertschi last year and Bo Horvat in his rookie year.

A team isn't going to score zero goals in a year, someone has to put the puck in the net and this year it's Granlund. In 2013-14 Zack Kassian had 14 goals on a similarly high percentage of shots (15.4%) and was younger than Granlund is now. The following year he was on pace for 20. It's not that Kassian's a good goal scorer, it's just that there was no one else there to do it at the time.

With that said, Sutter is still quite useless and horribly overpaid. No one should be having any restless nights over the possibility of losing one over the other.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 4, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

deoju posted:

I hope old man Jagr still goes to the Olympics. It'd be funny to have a roster that's him, and a bunch of kids who weren't even born when he was drafted.

That's the Panthers at the moment. Only 7 roster regulars were born before he was drafted.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Sorry SinBin guy! Maybe next time

I think we're going to see some pretty nasty articles about the CreaTURD coming up in the next few weeks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Also Vancouver is just dregs. There's nothing there. I picked Meygna in my list because goddamn that team is a wasteland

What is that sound high in the rafters
Murmur of eternal lamentation
Who are those blue clad hosers sucking
Over endless games, stumbling on chipped ice
Ringed by empty seats only
Watch as the city ‘neath the mountains
Sucks and rebuilds and gets blown out by the youthful Oil
Failing twins
Gudbranson Sutter Eriksson
Sbisa Dorsett
Awful

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

The thought was it would come down to him and de Haan. That's a real tough choice the make. The stat nerds prefer Calvin.

Given the value Larsson got and the suggested return for Tanev, I think it's safe to say that the Isles will keep Hamonic simply for his trade value. Right shooting, big minute defensive defencemen are worth their weight in gold. De Haan is probably more effective from a possession perspective, but players like him are ultimately easier to come by.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

checksin posted:

Where's St. Louis sending their guys next year

I'm pretty sure they're sharing with Vegas

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sounds like they're sharing. Here's a very weirdly worded statement from Doug Armstrong:

quote:

ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Blues General Manager Doug Armstrong released the following statement regarding the Blues' American Hockey League (AHL) plans for the 2017-18 season:

"The St. Louis Blues will not renew their primary affiliation with the AHL's Chicago Wolves past the 2016-17 season. We will associate with the Vegas Golden Knights and supply players to the Golden Knights' AHL affiliate next season."

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/armstrong-statement-on-ahl-affiliation/c-289468858

The Blues also decided to can all of their assistant coaches too for some reason. Guess they're gonna all be Yeo's boys now.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 16, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Krime posted:

Standing Room Only tickets

Plus the NHL lists outdoor games as attendance so the 33k Winnipeg had for the Heritage Classic is factored in as well.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric Staal was exposed by the Wild

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/876439225637363712

:lol:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/876448303952666624

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Remember when the Leafs signed Ben Smith again and people where talking like it was 4D chess to game the veteran exposure requirements and the Leafs were gonna make some moves.

Nah it's literally just so they could protect Matt Martin

As a general rule, if you have to justify someone's decision making as so clever that literally everyone else can't see how clever it is, it's more than likely not very clever.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The fact that this is linked to the NHL Awards means that it's going to all be announced in the most idiotic way imaginable. Probably one selection before each ad break to make us watch the whole dumb ceremony with the more popular teams coming right at the very end.

Plus it's the NHL so it's going to be so shoddily produced you'll wonder why they even bothered. The guy famous for being Sofia Vergara's husband is hosting so presumably will be responsible for butchering a lot of their names. They couldn't at least have booked someone on the B list at minimum for the big reveal for their new team in their new city?

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 19, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I want there to be loads of fun trades, but I know that somehow Jim Benning is going to come out of this down at least two draft picks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric Haula has been signed by the Knights, so it sounds like he's been traded there in exchange for not selecting Dumba, Scandella or Staal. Alex Tuch and a pick goes along with Haula.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The next 72 hours could be amazing. I am tentatively getting my hopes up for TRADESTORM 2017 here...

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bob is saying that the Knights will only announce their selections tonight. Any trades won't be revealed until Thursday.

BOOOOOO

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Side deals. I've been humming Slide by the Goo Goo Dolls with altered lyrics all day.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

stab posted:

You guys have no idea (except maybe CAS) how muxch this means to me lol

Well I shed no tears for Sbisa's loss, I cannot celebrate knowing the misery that has been lifted from my shoulders now falls onto so many others.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

techno allah posted:

Well so far that is one garbage rear end team. I hope for their sake it changes a lot before opening day

It won't. GMGM is doing exactly what that guy said he would. Deliberately selecting nothing players so as not to upset his rival GMs as he knows full well he has to make a bunch of trades with them over the next few years. He's prioritizing his job over the franchise. Understandable from a personal perspective, but I'm surprised the NHL is okay with this given that they deliberately tried to make it so Vegas could start with an alright roster this time and not flounder around for 3-5 seasons like every other expansion franchise.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

The Pens were desperate to get rid of MAF and all they could get out of it was an additional 2020 second round pick?

GMGM doesn't want to piss anyone off.

He could have a borderline playoff roster today if he'd chosen to be aggressive. Instead he has a really, really historically lovely team. Maybe a tad better than Columbus or Atlanta's inaugural teams, but not much and that was definitely not what the league was going for.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hockles posted:

Would only be a ceremonial thing, since goalies can't be captain. Just like when they sort of named Lu captain when he was in Vancouver, he just had a C painted on his mask.

Goalies can be captain, they just can't perform captain duties on the ice. Alternates have to take over discussing things with the ref.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike Works posted:

I'm pissed that the Canucks are so lovely now, because I should be super loving ecstatic that Sbisa is gone. I've hated him like no one else. But since it took so long to happen, now our team has gone from God-awful to slightly less but still very God-awful.

I know, once I would've celebrated this move, now I can barely give a poo poo. I know that extra cap space will be squandered anyways.

https://streamable.com/yeuc9

This kid nailed it

• Locked thread