Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i dont know who the rangers will expose. i dont have anything good to say about this at all but i posted in the wrong thread so now i am editing my post to have something to do with this thread. thanks for listening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Zodijackylite posted:

F: Pirri, Lindberg, Grabner, either Fast or Nash
D: Holden, McIlrath
G: Raanta

ok well that's not too bad

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i think the logo is pretty good, the double meaning thing is done in a reasonably subtle yet well-integrated sort of way, the color scheme is fine

the team name is dogshit

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
this is a worse team name than blue jackets

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
is arvidsson really going to go unprotected. also i'd figure they'd pick grabner over raanta

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
dumba, scandella, brodin, and spurgeon are all very good last i checked. minnesota have very good defense men

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Mind_Taker posted:

Nate Schmidt is almost certainly going to be available and he is a good player. Grubauer has also been good but who knows how good goalies actually end up being after two good years as a backup.

i mean, werent most good goalies in the league either backups or in a timeshare before taking over full time starting duties?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
it should have been capuano...

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

pseudodragon posted:

How many cities have the population and fan base to turn vegas games into home games? There's probably a lot of teams that will have fans that will take over when they are contenders, but who's going to send fans regardless of performance (like the Northeast teams in Florida)? I'd guess the 3 Cali teams, Vancouver, and O6 would have enough people to take over year in, year out. Are there enough people in Alberta to invade regularly? Philly?

the rangers for sure. probably montreal and toronto too

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
it seems like there's a better talent pool available now than in previous expansion scenarios so while i don't expect them to make the playoffs i'd guess like, 80

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'm extremely skeptical of the idea that the islanders would leave hamonic unprotected

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jordan7hm posted:

The thought was it would come down to him and de Haan. That's a real tough choice the make. The stat nerds prefer Calvin.

End of the day it goes back to the idea that teams like the Islanders are going to need to make trades.

ThinkTank posted:

Given the value Larsson got and the suggested return for Tanev, I think it's safe to say that the Isles will keep Hamonic simply for his trade value. Right shooting, big minute defensive defencemen are worth their weight in gold. De Haan is probably more effective from a possession perspective, but players like him are ultimately easier to come by.

yeah i've been a big de haan fan for a long time but i'd be shocked if the organization didn't value hamonic more. he's also got the Team Leader intangible which like it or not obviously matters to a team

also it was said after the hall-larsson trade that hall-hamonic was a trade that edmonton would have made (and i recall garth being pretty well lambasted for not having done it especially during the period during which hamonic was asking for a move to western canada) so even though that ship has sailed it seems pretty suspect to let a player with that sort of supposed value walk for free

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't their logo a Tiger with headphones?

no

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Kevyn posted:

Who says they don't sell out? This has them at over 100% attendance... http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

i didn't realize attendance was that dire for carolina. drat

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'd rather see a mediocre team than a trainwreck, and carolina have been a picture of mediocrity while never quite sinking to the depths of abjection. yet they have been vastly outdrawn by teams that have been completely terrible. so i guess my answer would be, maybe?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Rotten Cookies posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLnumbers/status/876546670028177408

Thank god the Isles have a deal to prote-WAIT, WHO?!

Oh COME ON.

hockey sucks

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

if they are actually that loving stupid there is no excuse for any team not to have fixed all of their bad player problems here

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
is this on nbc sports or something. can i watch this somewhere. i don't really want to watch the nhl awards, but my life is very empty and you know what the hell

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Why wouldn't you pick Grigorenko?

he is bad.

i mean so is pickard, but,

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
if you ignore/get rid of all of the bad defensemen they picked, there's actually a relatively decent d corps somewhere in that lineup. some combination of methot, garrison, schlemko, mcnabb, merrill, miller, theodore (who seems like a major coup here), schmidt doesn't seem too bad. but of course methot and miller are probably already gone and sbisa and emelin will definitely play, so yeah it's probably not going to end up being that good.

also this team is going to have a lot of trouble scoring. but i guess for the sake of the future of the franchise maybe tanking the first season out the gate rather than trying to scratch and claw your way to a 5-10-pts-out-of-playoffs-finish isn't the worst idea, especially if 2018 is shaping up to be a strong draft. most other modern expansion franchises were rear end to a historical degree in their first seasons anyway

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

sleep with the vicious posted:

Vgk look terrible and anyone who says different is deluding themselves

why does it even matter in their first year post expansion. they were never going to be drafting a playoff team

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Mike_V posted:

Obviously they were not going to be good, but let's not pretend this team isn't significantly worse than what it could have been.

worse today, yes, but that doesn't matter. so far it's way too early to say that they could have done a better job getting futures. i still think the schlemko deal was pretty close to market value for him.

the emelin pick is the only thing that really confuses me

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i should clarify that if their goal is to tank hard emelin helps, but there's no gm in the world, even in a tanking scenario, who would purposely pick a player that they think is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

JawKnee posted:

for real. Nucks are going to finish bottom 5 again - and probably 31st, barring another Avalanche happening

i'd say there's a good chance of another avalanche happening. to the avalanche.

• Locked thread