Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

hifi posted:

i wonder what kind of bonus multiplier canadian cities get from the nhl planning office if they are seriously considering thunder bay (100k) or halifax

Who the gently caress said anything about Thunder Bay? We were almost an AHL affiliate for the Jets but that dried up long ago when we couldn't get money for a new arena. But we cannot support an NHL team and I know that. 105,000 people ain't enough. Halifax is well over 300,000 at least.

iospace posted:

Bring back Hartford

Maybe they can trade a Ron Francis quality player to Pittsburgh for a past his prime forward and an offence first defenceman again

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

hifi posted:

was the "thunder bay-sudbury market" thing a joke? i thought one of the talking heads suggested it

My bad, I thought you were saying I said it. I guess someone probably thinks the amount of NHL players Northwest Ontario has produced means we could make it work, but we have a pop of 106,000 and our main arena sits just under 4,700.

Like Halifax is unlikely, but their pop is 403,000 and it sits a 10, 600. That could host an NHL team.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bettman hates QC because its 100% francophone

This is also true. I think he believes having too much French involvement alienates new fans or something.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I have a really hard time seeing a metro area less than 1 million people, even a Canadian one, being able to successfully support a team. Winnipeg has struggles and they're significantly larger than Halifax.

That's​ because their arenas location sucks, Winnipeg is considered cold by Canadian standards, and their ownership is cheap. They were voted least attractive by a player's poll.

Halifax might be able to avoid the ownership issues, and would give the maritimes their​ own team. They're also warmer. These things matter.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think the bottom line is that some parts of the U.S. just can't/won't give a gently caress about hockey. Carolina's attendance was 21st in the league when they won the cup, and has only gotten worse. Compare that to Calgary, who haven't won a cup since 1989, and haven't been past the 2nd round since 2004, but finished 10th in attendance this season even though I suspect much of their fanbase knew they wouldn't go far in the playoffs. Some fans just care more about their local team and winning will only do so much for that, I guess. Conversely some towns are so entrenched their attendance is gonna be good no matter what. The Leafs and Red Wings come to mind.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 14, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

iospace posted:

I have it for you:
F:
Sedin
Sedin

D:

G:
Luongo (despite him being long gone)

Oh c'mon, Tanev's worth protecting

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Technetium posted:

I mean having a team with no sustained success like Carolina doesn't help. Sure they won the cup, then didn't make the playoffs for two years after and that was preceeded by the lockout and two years of not making the postseason. They've since descended into mediocrity without much in the way of bright spots coming in and well... Of course we're at the point where Carolina might actually be poised for some success with Skinner, Aho, Teravainen, Faulk, Darling, Slavin, Hanifin, Pesce, Rask, Lindholm and the room to make some big splashes if they wanted. It'd be the dumbest time to move/sell the team.

Then you look at a team like Nashville, not a traditional market and don't have a cup, but they've qualified for the playoffs more often than not after the first few years and have steadily improved as the years have gone on thanks to smart ownership, management, drafting, etc. They've given their fans something to cheer about.

With Nashville I think it helps that they have no major sports around them (unless you count the Sounds). As somebody mentioned, The 'Canes have to compete with big time CBB in a CBB-crazy region.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

If someone can list 31 NFL teams, the one they're missing is probably the Titans.

This is exactly what I did, gently caress's sake.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

grack posted:

There are some surprisingly decent defensemen available.

Edit: Wait, why the hell would Arizona protect Johnson over Domingue?

I was quite surprised that Vatanen was available

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

T-Bone posted:

If he's going for value who the hell do you even take? Maybe Lovejoy because his contract is OK and teams love adding bad defensive d-men at the deadline?

Might take Cammalleri and flip him?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

T-Bone posted:

His contract is pretty bad, but maybe.

It is but because there's only 2 years left maybe Phoenix could be convinced to take him so they reach the salary floor.

Edit: Never mind, he also has a modfied NTC (no details but I assume he'd waive to play for a contender or Toronto since he's from there).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 18, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
George's everlasting love of Bobby Lu is fuckin' adorable. I think he might love him even more than I love Kipper.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

grack posted:

I get the feeling that McPhee is having way too much fun with this whole thing.

This is gonna be an uphill battle for him, he might as well enjoy himself

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

eXXon posted:

Taking Kulemin and Grabovski for a 1st seems like a pretty lovely deal when Vegas could just pick Nelson/de Haan and then demand picks for cap dumps anyways. Unless the Islanders are offering a 2018 first...

Maybe they're offering supplemental picks but not a first? Like a 1st this year, plus a 3rd, 4th and 5th in next year's draft?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's something very appropriate about a team from Vegas, which the mafia had a big hand in helping build into a tourist attraction, basically shaking down teams for assets

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

Why do people think Theodore is better than Manson? Manson is really good statistically and they should honestly just select him unless they are getting a haul of picks back.

Probably the assumption that Theodore hasn't peaked yet, I'd think. I thought Theodore looked particularly good in the playoffs. I don't think Manson has either, but Theodore probably has a higher ceiling. Theodore was a beast in the WHL and the World Juniors, also. Good numbers in the AHL, the kid's gonna be a star.

Also do all these deals mean George has EIGHT first rounders this year? Even with a thin draft I have to assume you'll get 2-3 quality players out of the deal.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 21, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I was mildly annoyed that Calgary didn't keep him, good pick imo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Why wouldn't you pick Grigorenko?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Not a bad roster overall honestly. Lacking forwards but there's a lot of potential. MAF and the backups could be decent. I think they're gonna flip a few defensemen too.

I think it hinges on who they keep on D and who they don't. I think they're keeping Theodore (obviously), Miller, McNabb, and Stoner. If they keep both Emelin and Sbisa, yikes. If they only retain one or drop both of them and get a decent asset for one or both (probably won't happen, but then I didn't see the highway robbbery they committed on the Ducks coming, either), it's not so bad. I also think they need to try and find a goalie prospect because I don't think much of J.F. Berube or Cal Pickard. I think you need a solid backup for the nights where Fleury looks like the goalie from the Mighty Ducks movie. I'm getting some Sam Hinkie vibes from McPhee's methods, where it seems like he's avoiding having too many established vets in favour of stockpiling a metric fuckton of assets. Maybe he'll find value in this draft, thin as it is, it's hard to say. We can assume he won't based on the lack of superstars, but if he has 3 or 4 first rounders and it sounds like he has around that many, he can avoid projects and grab NHL ready guys, or, more likely, people who will only need a year or 2. Outside Hischier and Patrick, I've read that people like Cal Foote, Jusso Valimaki, and Owen Tippett are all close, they just need some coaching and development time. Plus if he has late 1st he can coll the dice on somebody like Jake Oettinger. They're not gonna be good but I think it would have been a mistake to make this team overly competitive without having a strong idea of what the draft class is like next year. If they pick #1, and they might, and the draft is even thinner this year, it's kind of important for them to get these early picks right.

I think people's gut reactions are a bit over the top around here at times. I mean it's still the sanest sports board I've seen, and I appreciate the lack of racism.

One guy at HFBoards claimed Patrick is the only guy remotely close to being ready in 1st round, which is double stupid when one considers the hernia situation he dealt with all last year. Plus Hischier might well be better than him both in the short run and long run.

I also think Jason Garrison should pack his poo poo for Toronto. But that's just a guess.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 22, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Can they trade a player back to the team they took him from or are there rules against that? I want him back

No, they have to wait a full year. So they'd have to send him to another contender, but that shouldn't be a hard sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

....sooooo then how much is Vancouver giving up to get Sbisa back?

That implies they have assets to give up

That said, probably Jordan Subban and a pick

• Locked thread