Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I didn't see anything in the rules that said you can't bribe/threaten the new GM to prevent him from taking your guys like the last expansions so I'm assuming that's how it will go down for most of the guys who are too painful to part with.
"You can have a 4th or we'll never trade with you again and I'll get all my friends to blackball you"

What I'm saying is enjoy your captain Dustin Brown and the MacDonald - Sbisa pairing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Damnit. Eastside Hockey Manager is hardcoded to have 30 teams in the NHL. The game is ruined. :qq:

Hot drat, I really hope they didn't base game logic around that and were smart enough to program that in as a changeable variable or they just wasted a lot of time with that re-write

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

deoju posted:

Somebody posted on the last page of the old thread that the new team would have the same odds in the entry draft as the the third worst team... The NHL should have just said "gently caress it, you go first." The team isn't going to win for a while, give the new fans someone to be psyched about.

It's probably more appropriate that they be indoctrinated into the rest of hockey fandom by being able to bitch about the Oilers winning the 1st overall pick again

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dandy Kaiser posted:

man i really wonder what black knight sports and entertainment is going to name their professional sports franchise

I'd like them a hell of a lot if they went with Vegas Knights because of the play on words.
Vegas Black Knights is way harder to market.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Regardless of what their colors will be. I'm sure the logo will look like poo poo.

Should just borrow from a pinball table. :v:

I would also be okay if they went with "Black Knight 2000s"

Really anything but the Black Knights. You can't have a team of black knights that's not how it loving works.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I could definitely see Fleury in Vegas being like Puppa in Tampa or Beezer in Florida where he becomes a stabilizing force that allows the people building the team to focus elsewhere, so if a blue chip defenceman or forward comes along, you go for them. I mean, you should probably focus on those positions anyways, but removing the temptation isn't a terrible idea.

He is, by all accounts, a locker room favorite. I think he'd be good for a team of rag-tag mercenaries, but at the same time I'd hate to see him go.
I strongly suspect he will be moved though. $9-10 million is a bit much for a goaltending tandem - especially on a team that relies more on offense than defensive prowess.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've got you all covered, the jerseys have apparently leaked.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Coyotes drafted Daniel Briere with their first ever pick and had him wear a jersey with no logo, look at how that all turned out! The Creator is just following a well worn path to success!

Wait it was a weird shirt with the logo.

Briere just lead to me tripping down memory lane to the 2006-07 Sabres. What a weird couple of years for that team.
And also a prime candidate for one of those DownGoesBrown obscure players with fantastic hockey names: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=69022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I hope the Creator can top this though

Looks like a black velvet painting - which gives me an idea.
gently caress the outdoor games - let's have a yearly midnight black-light glow hockey game.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Their first own-goal

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vincent Van Goat posted:

That's not even a loving knight's helmet, it's like a viking one.

This. Also hilarious is the big ado about the "chivalry" and such of the knight, protectors of the downtrodden, when in fact they were just high-rolling mercs who probably couldn't give less of a poo poo about protecting anyone or doing much of anything that wasn't bashing skulls (be they enemy soldier or unruly peasant)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I imagine a lot of that is contracts ending. Daley for instance. Does that count for the team in that case or is the player a ufa?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Krime posted:

:lol:

There it is again... Murray getting picked in the expansion draft.

:laffo:

Never gonna happen. They will buy MAF out and eat the cap hit before they let Murray get drafted.

It's a nice dream for them to have, but even if it got down to the wire and they had no other choice, they could flip Murray to someone for something. There is 0 chance Vegas "picks" Murray. I won't :toxx: that they won't end up with him, but I'd be willing to wager something dire against them getting him for free.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Schlesische posted:

Buying him out is a waste of resources. (EDIT: It's not *as bad* as I thought it'd be. At 1.9m/year for the next 4 seasons if bought out after this season, it's not good especially if the salary cap barely rises)
The closer the expansion draft gets, the worse you're going to get fleeced when you give up MAF. If you're a GM, and you see that situation you're going "I'll have one MAF, two decent prospects and some retained salary in exchange for this <insert massive cap hit here>". Ideally, he'd be gone by now and I don't get why I keep reading "OH BUT GOALTENDING IS A PITTSBURGH STRENGTH!" 'cos in the offseason it's going to be a massive weakness.

It's only $2 million for a few seasons, which they very well could end up having to retain to move the bastard anyway. Not great but still a net $3m gain. There's also the not spoken about option that MAF just agrees to waive and roll the dice on getting picked or not. If he really wants to stay as the back-up I think JR could accommodate that but by all the media account/reading between the lines he still believes he's a starter so I'd say he's going to do what's necessary to facilitate a move to somewhere in his best interest.
Everyone in the org knows Murray is the better goalie now/future of the position for the franchise, so it would take serious incompetence (like hiring Benning) or unknown circumstances to get them to move him over MAF.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Anaheim is going to have to expose one of Fowler, Silfverberg, and Rakell unless they make a trade, too.

Rakell is the right choice but everyone has such a hard-on for Fowler despite the fact that he's platinum-grade poo poo.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Are there any GMs stupid enough to accidentally expose a top player?

Benning (if he had a top player to expose)

(which he doesn't)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh jesus. Yeah they'll have to be offerring a pretty good bribe to not take Mrazek.
Also what does that mean for MAF

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

With Mrazek, Raanta, Grubauer, Pickard etc all exposed why would McPhee take Fluery and not Hagelin or whatever? He can get a better goalie elsewhere, he'd be smart to take one of the Pens forwards

Mrazek/Grubauer is a good tandem to build around. I guess it all comes down to what extra bits are being given behind the scenes though. I'd bet the Wings and Caps are offering something up that we'll find out about later.
Plus how many other goalies have 3 cup rings? People, especially GMs, way overvalue that sort of poo poo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

grack posted:

Is Mark Pysyk any good? That seems like a strange player to protect for Florida over Marchessault, Smith or Demers.

He's not as good as Demers but he's younger and cheaper. If I was Vegas I'd be all over Marchessault though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ah so the worst way possible. Good job NHL.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

McPhee is the worst GM.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

grack posted:

Hahaha that dumb fucker McPhee took Sbisa and the Canucks didn't even have to bribe him.

Ha, Luca? You mean like the name of that lovely defenseman George McPhee drafted from the Canucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kilza posted:

Ignoring the trades, that's the roster from Vegas' picks. $51.1 mil cap hit.

MAF is gonna party on this team like it's 2004

• Locked thread