Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Jovial Cow posted:

So what are the odds they name themselves the Knights and wear T-Mobile purple or magenta or whatever.

High for Knights/Black Knights I think, zero for the colors. You can probably guess the colors from the official site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

pizza valentine posted:

I've been living here since I was 4 and I turn 28 next week. I've literally waited my whole life for a pro sports team to call my own :3:

:hf:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Put me down for "an NHL team in Vegas will be a disaster and the team will be rumored bankrupt and/or moving before it's a decade old".

You'll feel nice and comfortable with basically everyone not living in Vegas

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I hope we don't have to wait for september for the name :negative:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Hate to break it to you, ,

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'd like them a hell of a lot if they went with Vegas Knights because of the play on words.
Vegas Black Knights is way harder to market.

Yeah I like this as a compromise and it works well with the colors

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Turdsdown Tom posted:

now you're gettin a feel for what the LV jerseys will look like

also not only is assuming the colors will be black/silver/gold because of the website dumb, but black/silver/gold is tacky as gently caress and i guarantee they will not show up in september with anything good to show. i'm putting my money that the colors on the website are to make it look ~luxurious~ like they wish las vegas actually was

Ah ok so I can disregard your posts. Thanks.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

That will also be convenient when the team moves to Quebec in about 8 years

But in eight years the team will be strong and on the verge of their first Stanley Cup win and beloved by all Las Vegas? :confused:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

guys haha here's my thought hahaha it's such a good one hahaha what if, oh man this is so good, what if haha the vegas team has to move hahahahhahahahahahahhahaha

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

They will have bad attendance and lose a lot of money if the team is bad and expansion teams tend to be bad. Literally the only counterexample is the 1995 NFL expansion where they gave extra entry picks in the first two rounds to the expansion teams (in addition to an expansion draft) and made the expansion draft rules favorable. And NHL draft picks don't contribute as quickly as NFL ones. So it's a very real problem that they have to face. It's not an affront to your city, expansion is a bad place to start from.

No everyone would be making the same tired jokes with relocation

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

The team doesn't even have a drat name and you're all "likely event Vegas fails" ffs

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

You need to get some thicker skin, if it surprises you some people don't like the idea of hockey in the desert you haven't paid much attention to what's gone on over the past twenty years or so in the NHL.

I'm rooting for Vegas to succeed.

Maybe you and everyone else should wait for the team to do more than barely exist before writing the obituary

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Do you have any idea how bad they will be the first few years? Maintaining fan support will be a challenge. That doesn't mean it won't happen, BUT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlanta_Thrashers_seasons Out of 12 seasons, two winning ones and the first didn't come until the sixth year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Columbus_Blue_Jackets_seasons Out of 16 seasons, three winning ones and the first didn't come until the eighth year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nashville_Predators_seasons Predators didn't have a winning season for the first six years, they've basically been good ever since though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_Wild_seasons Hey the Wild had only four losing seasons out of 16, two of those being the first two years. That probably had a lot to do with having the right people in place because the state breathes hockey.

Stop crying about the fact that people are skeptical. A lot of us want to see them succeed and hope they do, but it's critical they get on the path to having a good roster soon if they're going to maintain attendance. Attendance issues lead to relocation. Not sure why you're taking issue with that.

It comes up because if the Wild lost every game for fifty years in a row they'd still have full arenas. For Vegas, the team has to succeed, they don't get to just print money because they exist.

It's because it isn't skepticism. They already know the end the day after the team was announced. You say it is critical to get on the path of having a good roster soon? I agree. But we don't even know what path they will take since they don't have a gm or really ANYTHING.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/SinBinVegas/status/746105911131791360

I'm cool with that

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Good. I hope things begin moving really fast so I have actual news to consume

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

Oh my god, it happened. It really happened.

I already hate this team before it's even actually become a team.

Such a low standard if one blogger is what does it for you

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/SinBinVegas/status/754086670253772800

it's coming from inside the thread :eyepop:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

You're thinking too highly of me :v:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It was Lessail the whole time

That would mean I'd actually be employed which would be nice

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/TMobileArena/status/759481447233130496

Hell yeah :cool:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

And now we have the Assistant GM spot filled: Kelly McCrimmon

still waiting on that name tho

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I hope this trial balloon leak poo poo backfires and a better name is picked

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Try Mojave Knights next imo

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Heaf posted:

Use every different Knight from Shovel Knight.

Las Vegas King Knights :v:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Wait I got it: Las Vegas Stardust Crusaders

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

The Las Vegas The Spice Must Flow

Las Vegas Mentats would be cool imo

also Las Vegas Bettman Anti-Fun Name League

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

Come on, fess up Lessail: this is really you, isn't it? :v:

https://twitter.com/SinBinVegas/status/771143678953828356

You can admit it - this is a safespace. You're amongst fellow hockey enthusiasts.

Haha I ain't married

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Only names my imagination could come up with are Experience and Entertainers

Wish we could just get Aces or something :smith:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Las Vegas Neon TIgers

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

The Wild and the Blue Jackets were both officially named around 2.5 years before their first drafts. This team is going to be drafting in 9 months and the owner is still by his account registering fake names to throw people off the trail of what they're actually going to be called.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nhl-vegas/bill-foley-admits-registering-fake-names-las-vegas-nhl-team

This is already the dumbest team in sports.

Maybe the NHL should've allowed Foley to start the naming process earlier

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Did he really need league approval to ask West Point whether it would allow a theoretical hockey team to be named Black Knights? And he couldn't have thought up an alternative in case they wouldn't? This process has been going on for years.

Also it's not just that there's not a name (although he should have had his names picked by now if he's not doing a public vote), it's that he's registering fake names on purpose that makes it silly.

You're really intent on poo poo talking this team

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Your third post in this thread is saying you hope you don't need to wait until September for the name. Now we know the name's not being announced in September and the guy is still registering fake names.

Meanwhile the Raiders are already able to start building their Vegas brand (sure Raiders jerseys sales etc. that Vegas people buy right now will be shared with the league since it's all online, but they'll be building a fanbase at least), it's not good for the something knights. I hope they work out but he's playing this really wrong. They should've been selling jerseys and shirts before the Las Vegas Raiders basically became a certainty.

And you'd be making GBS threads on him if the name leaked from registering only one name

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Also good job of comparing a team moving to Vegas with a team starting here

I guess much like talking about the time frame of naming to draft instead of the time frame of granted team to name, you'll pick whatever lovely angle you can

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

You're right, praise be unto the Creator

Nah nah nah keeping posting about how poo poo everything is with the team but be sure to end it with a "but I hope it all works out" because nobody can comprehend what you're doing if you do so

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

You have incredibly thin skin. I find it dumb that the guy doesn't have his name when it's seemed inevitable he was getting a team a year ago, yes. I dared to make an offhand comment that the team might have issues keeping fans if they were really bad, yes. Those are literally the two things I've ever said against your exalted team. You are holding this grudge like a crazy person. I do hope your team works out because I think it's really cool for Vegas to finally be getting teams but this is not going well and you're stupid if you don't realize they're loving up an important time. The NFL is way, way bigger than the NHL and the possibility of the Raiders moving to Vegas has looked legit for like six months, yet the Creator keeps pushing back his reveal date (it was originally supposed to be September, which you yourself thought was a long time). I mean if you wanna be rah rah and pretend you don't see that this is being handled poorly feel free.

I think you are actually the Sin Bin guy.

Once again you do not consider the NHL dragging their feet nor them not wanting anything official with the team done until they granted it

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

It was stupid for Winnipeg, yes, but the team was already selling a ton of Jets merchandise before it officially became the name, and all of that sold merchandise led to the name of Winnipeg Jets. (The owners wanted to simply upgrade their AHL identity of Manitoba Moose, but the fans wouldn't have it.) That name was basically a fait accompli.

For Vegas, Foley should have had names ready to go. He doesn't have to go through the NHL's process to ask around, get some good ideas, and start working on general branding concepts. Come up with a half-dozen Nevada animals, a couple military concepts, and something Vegasy and slowly eliminate them until you've got a winner. It's not that hard.

Looks like the Vegas team is going to be a hilarious clusterfuck of a franchise, possibly even more than the all new Las Vegas Raiders, a historical clusterfuck of a franchise.

It's not but keep dreaming of that thought like everyone else that isn't in vegas

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

With a very minor percentage but hey that won't keep y'all from jerking each other off

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

Many expansion cities were ready to go right away.

Looks like Minnesota was six months from being granted to official name. Columbus was June to November. Panthers was four months as well.

So, maybe next time don't talk out of your rear end?

Lessail fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 18, 2016

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

And neither of those teams promised to have a name by a certain time, before publicly flailing.

Nice moving the goalposts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

grack posted:

Seriously, why the hell are you being so hostile about all of this?

Ask why everyone else only wants to poo poo on the team

• Locked thread