Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think if you say phoenix failed at hockey then pittsburgh is right up there too with potentially selling the team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

maloney makes a lot of sense but who knows

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

in "no poo poo" news, naming your team the black knights might run into trademark problems: http://sinbin.vegas/not-so-fast-on-knights-black-grey-and-gold-change-certainly-possible/

also "the creator" is possibly the most annoying way to refer to the owner possible

im looking forward to the GOLDBLACKS personally

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

If they couldnt have black knights then why can they have red hawks? Maybe they should have called the team the blackknights

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i guess The Creator only has enough legal power to go after some dippy rear end school in ohio instead of the US mililtary

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The Las Vegas Legal Prostitution

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Seriously though, why are they not being called the Las Vegas Knights? Do people hate puns THAT much?

they have the london knights in canada and apparently they can't make it work financially/legally/whatever

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

I actually agree but I 100% think this guy is making it up or listening to someone who thought it was funny to lie to him for twenty bucks.

Also if "Black Knights" somehow is a trademark issue with the London Knights I don't see how Desert Knights will go over any better.

black knights is a trademark issue with the army black knights

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they tried black and regular knights and ran into similar problems

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Las Vegas Dry Heat. I'm only semi-joking.

Actually, given the weather patterns here, "Monsoon" might work as well.

You might as well just call them the Vegas Haboobs if you are going to completely copy Arizona

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

http://news.sportslogos.net/2016/08/29/one-more-knight-las-vegas-nhl-registers-yet-another-name/

sand knights! we're getting a little closer to The Las Vegas Craps

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/SinBinVegas/status/770324601054175232

Imagine looking forward to this, lmao

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/SinBinVegas/status/770728540836732929

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Finally detroit (?) can make fun of another team for stupid banners

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Silver something is probably best since it's the Silver State. Even though our silver industry's best cultural export was the NWA/WCW Heavyweight Title belt.

I just don't know why you're calling your team Knights when there's a bigger city with a team called Kings nearby. Is our hockey identity really Los Angeles's lovely less important buddy? We get enough of that in our real lives.

The LV hockey identity is the closest thing The Creator can get to naming the team after his alma mater without a lawsuit

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

On the other hand maybe the thin skinned blog dude will tweet a screenshot of this thread again if we roast him hard enough

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Well actually the official Army Black Knights mascot is a mule so i assume the creator is going to appoint a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Edition for mascot duty

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lmao it looks like a hotel. vegas carpet baby. the la quinta inn knights

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they went to wal mart and didn't know what to get for a hockey team but they knew they were going to need a bunch of folding chairs and some airport carpet.

the medical room has 2 coffee tables and 2 folding chairs. ok, maybe they are going to put the bed in later, that's more reasonable than the carpet, but why even put anything in there then? same thing with the street close changing room, why put 2 dozen folding chairs in there if you are presumable just going to put another set of lockers in there down the road? i hope they donate all these folding chairs eventually

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/SinBinVegas/status/788457152000118785

NO YOU DONT

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Kevyn posted:

What movie, there's a movie? Is it Vegas Vacation?

the ducks movies

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

coyotes possibles:

- jamie mcginn
- chris pronger
- brad richardson
- pavel datsyuk
- ryan white

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this was just a thing i thought of in the last minute, but they should let vegas claim people on waivers. i'm not sure how this works when they don't actually play games right now, maybe let the waiving team have priority if they get sent down during vegas' regular season. vegas gets the option to get better quicker, and players are probably fine with not getting their nuts destroyed in real games

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I clicked through and it's a little less exciting since any signed player counts as vegas' pick for that team. RFAs still get a little leverage over their current club though, which maybe is trouba's strategy all along.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So all jokes about their owner being dumber than a sack of circus peanuts aside, what's the expectation for this team in term of being able to become a playoff squad, timewise? They have advantages not afforded to other expansion squads, and I could certainly see players wanting to play in Vegas, in terms of free agents in general (unless Foley turns out to be James Dolan-like in his ability to alienate athletes).

i feel like 5-10 years isn't unrealistic. maybe they make a first round exit earlier.

having an attractive free agent destination is nice but the pipeline for young talent is the draft and they are just priming that pump, and the nhl gave them decent odds for the upcoming draft but i'd say short of actually winning it (at 10% odds which aren't great), any player they end up with isn't making an immediate impact.

even the bad teams like arizona have top end established guys like ekman-larsson that vegas won't have access to because they can be protected, and prospects like strome that have been in the minors and are automatically protected.

an addendum, someone like drouin or whomever from anaheim might slip through but they are still something like the 9th best player on the team they are coming from.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you should have gone to the event where they threw a ducks jersey under a zamboni and signed a banner sponsored by t mobile to be presented to the creator

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sin bin guy says no jerseys, so lol

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Can we not do national identities anymore, I want an out of left field Scottish based team complete with pipes.

The army didn't let him

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

how do they have 44 podcasts about the las vegas ______'s on the sin bin site already

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Im not a fan of chicago or tampa - blog post from man with trump hat

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yellowcar posted:

Is there a place streaming this shitshow?

nhl network and nhl.com apparently

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

St. Dogbert posted:

This matches up pretty well with the Adidas teaser from earlier today. Either it's a really good fake, or it's the one.

the las vegas GOLDBLACKS

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

haha Bettman can be cool sometimes

Flyers is still the best name because what is a Flyer?

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/on-this-day-franchise-adopts-flyers-as-team-name/c-890534

lol at this

quote:

Although the name was already picked, management needed to find a good way to publicize it. The solution: A “name the team” contest open to the public, with a grand prize to the winner. The contest winners were chosen among entrants who suggested Flyers or Fliers.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Starsfan posted:

well the good news for the Vegas Golden Knights is that the division they are being placed in is a complete poo poo show where Edmonton has a legit argument of being the best team

So yeah.. there's no reason Vegas couldn't be in the playoffs and competing for a Cup very quickly. Basically just add a decent goaltender and a couple of high talent forward draft selections and they are there..

they are going to suck for half a decade at least

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

So the Vegas team is going to take 30 contracts and then waive a bunch of dudes? I'd imagine they sign a free agent or 3 so what is going to happen to all those guys.

ahl players i guess

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0knRN6MaMg

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Makes me wonder how much truth there is to the London Knights shutting down "Las Vegas Knights".

foley ruled it out in an interview

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/las-vegas-nhl-name-search-complicated-london-knights/

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Someone said that's regarding the specific text logo, not the overall thing.

it says standard characters in the original application which sounds like the broadest trademark possible

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-getting-started/trademark-basics/representation-mark

on the other hand, this on a sweater would be sick

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The coyotes' ownership hasn't been great but there's not a lot they can do. They've worked outside of the box on the ASU arena deal which supposedly failed because ASU would rather have some other benefit from the state than a new arena, and they've been dedicated so far to staying in the phoenix metro area. Their salary is still down but they also haven't forced any stupid deals to make it to the playoffs by a shoestring. Fans are bitching about the tippett promotion because of the short term but they're still a young team all around and anyone else probably wasn't going to do any better.

The glendale star reports are looking more and more like a hit piece, apparently nobody from the coyotes was on the list of tours for the seattle arena, and the recent tidbit is that there's only one female spokeswoman for the arena and this anonymous source the paper is quoting is a male. The last one is a little tenuous but nobody in phoenix seems to think it's legit and nobody in seattle seems to think it's legit, and the owners deny it, so there's not really a reason to think it's happening, at least until they actually exhaust their options in phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

http://arizonasports.com/story/1024619/sb-1149-which-would-provide-funds-for-new-coyotes-arena-explained/

this just passed through committee, next step is the senate for debate and then vote, and then the house

• Locked thread