Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
An expansion draft is going to be pretty different than the last one for two reasons:
-The salary cap and floor. The new team needs to spend 55m, and competitive teams might want out of the later years of a big, long contract (i.e. Rick Nash)
-Teams are deeper than two lines now. Bottom six are no longer just "checking lines" where guys who aren't good get put, and the decline of the goon has led to more opportunity for the second/third line tweeners who were once top-six-or-bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
You can find the protected lists from the 98, 99, and 00 expansion drafts here:
http://historicalhockey.blogspot.ca/2014/06/1998-nhl-expansion-draft.html
http://historicalhockey.blogspot.ca/2014/10/1999-nhl-expansion-draft.html
http://historicalhockey.blogspot.com/2014/11/2000-nhl-expansion-draft.html

To give an idea of the complete lack of talent available, here's a recap of what the Rangers did:

1998: "Lost" UFA goalie Mike Richter, who they resigned. Nashville got a compensation pick. They protected AHL goalie Rob Stauber, whose last NHL game was in 1994-95, as well as enforcers Darren Langdon and Eric Cairns and AHL defenseman Maxim Galanov.

1999: Lost defenseman Chris Tamer, who played five years for Atlanta. Protected part-time AHL/NHL heavyweight brawlers Jason Doig and Rumun Ndur as well as punchman Darren Langdon. Exempt from exposing a goalie.

2000: "Lost" UFA defenseman Matheiu Schneider (who signed elsewhere) and Dmitri Subbotin, a Russian who never came to North America. Protected Jason Doig again, as well as AHL enforcer Dale Purinton, whose resume included one NHL game and 415 PIM in the AHL that year.

The drafting teams got some sort of compensation pick from the league for the UFAs. Protecting 15 players and rookie/sophomore pros, plus having UFAs available meant there was literally zero talent draftable. Teams were literally protecting part-time AHLers, journeymen, and multiple goons. This time around is much better.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Neodoomium posted:

Man, those links are great. Thanks for sharing them.

Detroit was able to expose absolutely nothing of value for all three of those expansion drafts.

Are you forgetting that Manny Legace is a Stanley Cup Champion?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Call them the Neon Knights. Fits Vegas.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

If they're so sold on Knights, and they're doing anything other than Neon Knights, then get the gently caress out of town.

(Ironically, these guys used to live across the street from the arena site until about ten years ago.)

Dear guy on Twitter who tweets about the franchise,

Please tell THE CREATOR to name the team "Neon Knights" after this. Make the Black Sabbath song the theme song.

Signed,
Rangers Fan Zodijackylite

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I'm amazed/amused that the league couldn't help them get the Canadian rights to the name Knights, a junior team owned by an NHL team executive.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Lessail posted:

Nice moving the goalposts

Moving the goal posts apart is also a bad BettmaNHL idea.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The Las Vegas BLADES OF STEEL!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

If they go with gold, then we can always call them the g'nights.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hifi posted:

Well actually the official Army Black Knights mascot is a mule so i assume the creator is going to appoint a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Edition for mascot duty

Will they bring it to visit the Islanders and their SUV?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

"There's even a separate room for players to change out of their street clothes, to keep their personal possessions and hockey gear separate.

The head coach will have his own office, too."

:aaaaa:

"As head coach, you'll get a say in roster decisions and your coaching staff. You'll even get your own office?"

"My own office? Well, yeah. So, about pay."

"Two and a half per, four years."

"OK, that sounds fair."

*fishes a roll of quarters from desk drawer*

"Alright, two-fifty times four, that's ten dollars. Sorry, but the league didn't let us have slot machines in the building, you'll have to walk across the street to find a slot machine."

*slumps down in chair*

"Not a fan of slots?"

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I don't know who other teams will make available, but the Rangers will probably expose Oscar Lindberg or Jesper Fast. Fast quietly put up 30 points at even strength last year with limited ES minutes. Lindberg put up 13g 15a before his hips blew up. They're both very good role players who could play softer or harder minutes in a middle six.

On the other hand, maybe they protect one of them and expose the last year of Rick Nash's contract. A low-cost RFA role player is probably worth more in assets than an objectively better high-paid 33-year-old.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I suppose that makes sense. If they were going to draft a free agent, it'd be a more pleasant ordeal to both to negotiate the contract first rather than just drafting them.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Hockles posted:

I wonder if he's a thorn in the management's side.

He's trying to put his thorn in management's side, for sure.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

It's going to be interesting once the expansion draft rules are finalized, to see how teams make moves. As soon as we find out who must be protected, we'll start to see some shuffling of goalies and defensemen.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Grubauer seems like an almost certain pick. He's the right age for a building franchise, he has NHL experience and been very good in his backup role. 44 games of experience isn't a lot, but for a building franchise, he's in the sweet spot between the unproven goalies (Subban) and the age 30+ goalies. He'll likely end up in tandem with one of those veterans, but given the GM's familiarity with him, and the Caps ability to protect all of their other worthwhile assets, he's very likely to be picked.

a false posted:

i dont know who the rangers will expose. i dont have anything good to say about this at all but i posted in the wrong thread so now i am editing my post to have something to do with this thread. thanks for listening

F: Pirri, Lindberg, Grabner, either Fast or Nash
D: Holden, McIlrath
G: Raanta

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

a false posted:

is arvidsson really going to go unprotected. also i'd figure they'd pick grabner over raanta

I feel like the Rangers are going to trade a forward, possibly Grabner, simply because his value is going to be really high. Then they'd probably lose Fast, Holden, or Raanta, but the return for a 30+ goal scorer would offset that. Not quite sure how they'll meet this exposure requirement, though:

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

A team in QC does little for growing the fanbase and TV contracts, but it'll still be a goldmine for gate revenues. To compensate for this, Mr. Quebecois billionaire sugar daddy is going to have to pay a higher expansion fee than the $500m that Vegas paid. Just like teams threatening to leave town if they don't get an arena, the league knows what people want and they'll make them pay for it.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

As a Rangers fan, I am glad to see the Islanders making dumb moves.

Looks like CBJ is going to let them pick William Karlsson, which is probably a really good move for their franchise. He's 24, has been defensively responsible in a bottom six role for two years, and has respectable production (25p, 22 ESP in 13:23 ATOI). He's similar to Oscar Lindberg - both are reliable two-way centers on teams with a logjam of forward depth. The expansion draft is thin at center, and the floor for Karlsson is continuing to be a good third line center. Worst case, he's young enough that he'll still have roster+trade value in 3-4 years when Vegas is first getting a look at how their franchise is shaping up.

That being said, with no side deal for the Rangers, there's a high change Vegas takes either Grabner or Raanta and flips them to another team, rather than trying to make the best team they can right now.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

There hasn't been a peep regarding the Rangers othe than Klein's "farewell." They have some real NHL players exposed, and Grabner and Raanta definitely have trade value. I wonder if the front office has just been really quiet and worked out a deal?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Glambags posted:

I thought Brooks said the rangers do not have any deals worked out with Vegas, and it would seem that if anyone would know it would be him. But, Brooks is also a dumbass

I might've missed that. I suppose with Grabner/Raanta/Fast/Lindberg/Klein(?) it would have cost a fair amount (i.e. a 1st+) to protect them, and they'd rather keep that part of the roster together rather than start shifting pieces and lose a good player anyway.

Let's just hope the Knights don't pick Grabner and then send his cheap contract to Chicago for Kruger/TVR/picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/877619251410079744

Berube's confirmed. It'll be interesting to see who the other one is, though.

Probably Lindberg, if he's the guy they took from the Rangers.

• Locked thread