Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Going with the single biggest difference maker at the position left because I will happily draft any of the guys around him in the second and he definitely won't still be there.

The first four weeeks will be question marks but it's not like Jimmy G will go away from their best player.

Plus I don't need to roll on the whole 3 TE thing later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I don't think I like drafting on the turn and decided to play things safe.

12. Lamar Miller - I have had him on my team the last two years and despite criminal misuse, he has done really well for me. I think the dude is gonna feast in Houston and am willing to bet on him being able to carry the load.

13. Jordy Nelson - Despite the injury last year, I have a lot of confidence that Nelson will return to form this year and has one of the best QB's in the game to throw him the ball.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm trying to start with some WRs and backfill RBs and Evans had 1200 yards last year and 12 TDs the year before. He had terrible red zone conversion numbers. Hoping that changes.

Really hard to not go with Allen Robinson but I think they are going to run more in the red zone which is exactly why they got Yeldon.

Michael Evans, WR, The Tampa Bay Bbuuccaanneerrss

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Luckily you have telegraphed your 3rd round pick :smug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dangit I didn't think Lamar Miller was gonna fall to me, but... well, vainly hoping?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

MrSargent posted:

Luckily you have telegraphed your 3rd round pick :smug:

Or did I

*takes zero RB literally*

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I almost took Robinson or Jeffrey here but decided to go full Adam Dunn. Home run or bust. Jamaal Charles.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Charles should have gone in the first round and you got a bargain.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Charles should have gone in the first round and you got a bargain.

I wouldn't touch him in the first round personally - plenty of question marks on a 29 year old RB coming off of an ACL tear. I wouldn't be surprised to see CharkWare worked in a bit more to spell Charles this year, after both demonstrated success in the system last season after he went down. That said, dude is a PPR beast and should put up a good season.

My first two picks:

1.08 - AJ Green
Green has been a WR1 for 4 seasons running, and should see an increase in targets this season with Eifert hurt and only LaFell and Boyd to really compete for looks from Dalton. I could see him having a career year in 2016 - and have him ranked as my #4 WR after Brown, Julio and Beckham this year. I like him at 8 overall.

2.05 - Allen Robinson
I don't feel comfortable with any of the RBs still available from a value perspective, but luckily, there were some great WRs still on the board. I had a hard time choosing between Keenan Allen, ARob and Jeffrey for this pick, but ultimately settled on the guy who caught 14 TDs last year (though regression is likely). Jeffrey's injury history worries me, and Allen was reliant on extreme volume last season.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Not confused with the Watkins pick but your reasoning was interesting. No run game in Buffalo with McCoy, Williams, and Tyrod?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

MrSargent posted:

Not confused with the Watkins pick but your reasoning was interesting. No run game in Buffalo with McCoy, Williams, and Tyrod?

Buffalo was also first in the league in run attempts as is any Rex Ryan coached team. And also drafted Jonathan Williams.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

MrSargent posted:

Yeah i came here to say this. I'm not hating on the pick because I think Sammy will kill it this year if he stays healthy, but the Bills led the league in rush attempts last year.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
If there's one year to not be worried about QBs, it's this year. What's the worst QB you can end up with? Tyrod? Rivers? Cool, I'm cool with that.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

2.08 Doug Martin

The Muscle Ham - ahem - Douggernaut has been all over the map in his performances over the past 4 years, but I think that 2013 and 2014 were more the product of injury and coaching turmoil than anything else. Dirk Koetter was the OC of the Bucs last year when Martin finished as RB3, and he's been brought back as the HC this year. That coaching continuity and the continued development of Jameis Winston and Mike Evans (and Our Lord and Savior Charles Sims as a fantastic CoP to spell Martin) should keep Martin producing at a high level. Another interesting stat is that Martin was the only RB to finish in the top 10 last season without double-digit TDs (he had 7). Hopefully those TD numbers come up towards the mean a bit more in 2016, but either way, it's nice to pick up an RB who can provide top 10 value without being TD dependent.

I was also choosing between Devonta Freeman and Lesean McCoy at this spot, but I think that Coleman takes a bigger piece of the ATL backfield than people think and that Freeman is more the guy we saw in weeks 10-16 than the guy in weeks 3-9. Meanwhile Shady has Karlos Williams (who could actually be a better back for the Bills' system) biting at his heels.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 26, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
2.09 - Devonta Freeman

I will admit, I am not a huge fan of this guy. I don't like his OC and I think Coleman has a chance to grab some more time. But he's the last player in his tier, even after his monster run he was still a RB1, and at this point I consider the upside to be well worth it.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
2.10 - Brandon Marshall

Brandon Marshall is a beast. He had his best (or second best) season last year and as long as he stays healthy, it's totally reasonable to expect low end WR1/high end WR2 numbers from him. Even with the uncertainty regarding the Jets QB situation, Marshall is going to produce.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

MrSargent posted:

At the time the only one I could remember was Shady and wasn't he kind of lukewarm last year? And Williams is a rookie, who knows what they'll have him doing. All that being said-

89 posted:

Buffalo was also first in the league in run attempts as is any Rex Ryan coached team. And also drafted Jonathan Williams.

I didn't realize that. This is why we slow draft! But yeah, still don't really regret the pick, Sammy's been pretty reliable in the past

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

timp posted:

At the time the only one I could remember was Shady and wasn't he kind of lukewarm last year? And Williams is a rookie, who knows what they'll have him doing.

Shady was an RB1 until his injury and was having a solid season. Karlos Williams was a rookie last year and produced insane numbers on limited carries. Between the two of them, Buffalo is going to run the ball a lot again this year.

Watkins is a good pick though and I think having a balanced offense helps rather than hurts.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

MrSargent posted:

Shady was an RB1 until his injury and was having a solid season. Karlos Williams was a rookie last year and produced insane numbers on limited carries. Between the two of them, Buffalo is going to run the ball a lot again this year.

Not to mention Jonathan Williams, who they drafted from Arkansas who could see work in short yardage and goal line situations.

I think it all probably works in Watkins' favor though, as long as: 1.) He gets healthy, which is becoming a bigger and bigger if (see Jene Bramel's Twitter timeline this morning) and 2.) Tyrod maintains or progresses from last year, which I think is a decent bet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

2.11 Mark Ingram
I was waffling about taking an RB here, and waffling about which one of those left. But I decided not to go with my gut and instead went with FantasyPros, who tell me Ingram is the best RB still on the board. His injury last season was a shoulder injury, so not something of huge concern (like a knee, say). The saints are not a great team but they do tend to run up the scoreboard, so I anticipate a few big weeks for Ingram. We'll see. I'm not getting any of the guys I was really hoping would drop to me here, like Freeman or Miller, so :shrug:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
02.12 - LeSean McCoy
When Shady wasn't injured last year, he was killing it. He's got some problems right now with his ankle that will be more clear when it's August. But, just like we were talking about earlier, Buffalo runs the most in the league. Shady won me some games at the end of the season last year. He's one of the few last RBs left on the board that I'm somewhat comfortable being a RB1. You guys cleaned up on RBs.

03.01 - Keenan Allen
The dude was on pace for 1,400+ yards last year before he lacerated his kidney Week 8. He's the last upper tier WR on the board, so I had to take him. Rivers always gonna be airing it out. I don't anticipate a running game in San Diego this year either.

I almost went WR/WR or RB/RB, but seeing what was gonna be left for me when it comes back around, I felt I had to use my picks on 1 of each.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

3.2 Doug Baldwin
I thought about some of the other top prospects. But I don't have confidence in Denver's new QB situation, some of the others are coming off injuries, and of the top NFL offenses with WR1s still on the board, I feel like Seattle has to be taken into account. Wilson showed last season that he can pass and should be shifting more to a passing game this year, and Baldwin is the undisputed #1 target for him. In the early third round I still want a solid, safe pick like Baldwin.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

3.3 Jordan Reed

On the one hand, this is a homer pick. I think I'm probably reaching a round for him, but dammit, I like him and the way things are moving right now, I'm happy to take him here. Best ball at least means I won't agonize over possible injury status the way I would in a normal season long league. On the other hand, there are some very smart people who are banging the drum for Reed as not merely a great TE talent, but as someone who can really provide separation in MFL10s.

In most of my redraft leagues I'm waiting on TE until after the 10th. If there's a place I'm going to indulge and maybe it pays off it's this draft.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
3.4 - Brandin Cooks

Last year Cooks was the WR12 in standard and WR13 in PPR. While not the sexiest WR his floor is high and he had six weeks last year as a WR1. I also debated going with another RB but I like the depth later on. Hilton, Cooper, and Thomas were also options and I probably would have been okay with any of them.

I am not really liking this draft spot.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

03.05 Eddie Lacy

I have a feeling that Eddie Lacy will have a solid bounce-back this season, and while I will probably pay for going RB-RB-RB, I couldn't pass up the chance to have 3 potentially top 10 RBs on my team.

I was also thinking about Forte or Hyde here, but the myriad of uncertainties surrounding the Jets and the Niners scared me off. That, plus the fact that even if everything breaks in their favor, both of those teams play in tougher divisions and are likely to trail a lot of games this year regardless.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

The fact that Demaryius, TY and Cooper are still available in the third round is criminal!

3.08 - Demaryius Thomas, WR

DT had a down year in 2015, but still finished as the PPR WR 12, and a WR1 on the season. He obviously had some gaps in his mental game last year - but I cut the dude a break as his mother just got out of prison and finally saw him play in the NFL for the first time.

While Denver's QB situation is looking shaky for 2016, it almost certainly will be better than last year: Peyton charted out as just about the worst QB in football in '15. DT is a good bounce back candidate for this year, and I can't complain having him as my WR3.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

03.05 Eddie Lacy

I have a feeling that Eddie Lacy will have a solid bounce-back this season, and while I will probably pay for going RB-RB-RB, I couldn't pass up the chance to have 3 potentially top 10 RBs on my team.

I was also thinking about Forte or Hyde here, but the myriad of uncertainties surrounding the Jets and the Niners scared me off. That, plus the fact that even if everything breaks in their favor, both of those teams play in tougher divisions and are likely to trail a lot of games this year regardless.

Honestly I wish I had done that. For some reason I just can't get enthused about Cooks or Freeman, regardless of what the numbers say.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

3.09 - Jarvis Landry

I was planning on taking Lacy here then thought Cooper when Lacy went off the board. But can't pass Landry up in up in a PPR league even if it is .5. Gase gets the best out of QBs which bodes well for Landry. He also has been practicing this off-season with two other WRs named Odell Beckham and Antonio Brown which can only help.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly I wish I had done that. For some reason I just can't get enthused about Cooks or Freeman, regardless of what the numbers say.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think Cooks will be good this year, but after drafting him on a couple of my teams last year and slogging through his slow start, it's sort of hard to get enthusiastic about taking him at his current ADP. I can't even really explain why I'm down on Freeman except that his meteoric rise last season seemed like such a perfect storm of opportunity that I think it's tough to believe he'll do it again this season.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

TY Hilton - I'll definitely take Andrew Luck's #1 target in the bottom of the 3rd. Despite Luck having a not-so-great season and then getting injured, TY still put up solid numbers with 1100 yds and 5 TD's. I expect those numbers to go up this year but even if they don't, that is not a bad floor to have at all.

Matt Forte - I think Forte was great value here, especially in 0.5PPR. I don't think the Jets QB situation really affects Forte too much and his running style doesn't really give me any concerns over his age.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think Cooks will be good this year, but after drafting him on a couple of my teams last year and slogging through his slow start, it's sort of hard to get enthusiastic about taking him at his current ADP. I can't even really explain why I'm down on Freeman except that his meteoric rise last season seemed like such a perfect storm of opportunity that I think it's tough to believe he'll do it again this season.

I think if I did it again I would have drafted Nelson and then Lacy, but to be honest I'm glad to be drafting in this spot. It's really forcing me to consider what to do and what's going to work. I will say that going RB heavy might be a viable counter-strategy just based on how ADP is going.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
To catch up, I'm going a little in the face of my usual drafting strategy in PPR and am really RB heavy at this point. I generally try to keep things balanced as I go because I've been far more bitten by bad WR in my fantasy career than bad RBs, but hey, it's a mock, lets see how it works out.

At the turn, the new hotness and the old hotness. If AP continues being AP and Elliot comes anywhere near the hype, they should be a solid core.

1.11 - Adrian Peterson
2.02 - Ezekiel Elliot

I'm a fan of the Carr2Cooper pairing, so happily taking Coop here. I also thought about TY a bit, but I just can't root for that big goon Luck so here we are.

3.11 - Amari Cooper

Somehow I ended up with Hyde in both of these drafts. I'm not quite as sold on him as the rest of the rankers are (mostly because I think the 49ers are going to be a garbage fire), but in the 4th I'll pull the trigger and hope Kelly runs a lot of volume through him.

4.02 - Carlos Hyde

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Dion Lewis is a 0.5 PPR monster and in best ball I don't have to worry about Belichicanery

Randall Cobb will end the season as a WR1 :toxx:

(not really toxx)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

4.04 - CJ Anderson

If you haven't noticed John Elway hates paying players. When he matched the offer for Anderson I figure if Elway is going to pay every-down back money for Anderson they will ride him until his legs fall off. Hopefully if it happens it's after I win this league.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

04.08 Julian Edelman

I had to pick a WR eventually, and Edelbro should put out some borderline WR1/2 numbers. Last year he only played 9 games, but in each of those games he was a top 10 WR in PPR. The Pats didn't make a lot of changes on the offensive side of the ball this offseason, so I expect that trend to continue. Obviously Brady's suspension hurts his value a bit, but I don't have to care about that as much because best ball.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I literally had a dream I was waiting for my current pick to come around and you guys sniped me on every single pick I had in mind and I had to keep scratching off my draft pick on my card.

Season needs to get here already :f5:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
4.09 - Jeremy Maclin

I don't hate Maclin as my WR2, and I'm slowly warming up to this team. I think a big part is just accepting that this draft is not one where I can expect a lot of steals. Arguably getting Freeman as late as I did would be one, but so far everything has pretty much been where it's "supposed" to be according to rankings and ADP.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

4.11 Jonathan Stewart
5.2 Frank Gore

Well, oops. I didn't exactly mean to grab two RBs in a row here... I set up some autopicks and then you guys Cam, Maclin, and Edelman all in a row.

But that's OK, really, because I'm now pretty nicely situated for RBs! J. Stew and Gore add to my previous Mark Ingram pick, all with different bye weeks. No doubt I'll need to grab a little depth later. Stewart is set up on a high-powered offense and he's going to eat. And despite his age, Gore is in great shape as the bellcow in Indi, behind a really great new center, and it's not like Robert Turbin or Jordan Todman are going to suddenly become serious competition for carries. Plus he had a nice bonus of a couple catches a game last season, and that's with Luck struggling.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
5.4 - Eric Decker

Eric Decker is a very boring pick. Last season he scored as a WR3 or better in 14 of his 15 games, three of his last four seasons have been 1000+ yards and 10+ TDs, and he's 29 so age isn't really an issue. Not having Fitzpatrick is, but I'm operating under the assumption that Fitz will be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
04.12 - Jordan Matthews
05.01 - Greg Olsen

I'm not trying to make homer picks, I swear. Jordan Matthews is gonna eat this year as he's being taken out of just the slot and being put on the outside. Where he's more naturally gifted to play. The WR1 in Andy Reid-type of offenses usually do well in fantasy. I saw a write up the other day and liked these stats:

quote:

70a. In the first two seasons in which Jordy Nelson had at least 60 targets in both seasons, here are his cumulative stats:

113 catches (6 drops) for 1,845 yards and 17 touchdowns

70b. In his first two seasons, Jordan Matthews had at least 60 targets each season. Here are his cumulative stats:

152 catches (8 drops) for 1,869 yards and 16 touchdowns

71. Last season, no qualified player in the NFL had a higher percentage of his team's goal-to-go receptions than Matthews (60 percent).

72. Here's the entire list of active players with at least 100 targets and eight receiving touchdowns each of the past two seasons: Brandon Marshall, Antonio Brown, Jeremy Maclin, Rob Gronkowski, Odell Beckham Jr. and ... Jordan Matthews.

73. Matthews is currently ranked outside the top 30 WRs; he's being drafted between three and seven rounds after everyone else on that list.

Then, with Greg Olsen, I couldn't pass up having a trio of Antonio Brown, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews at WR and then getting the best TE on the board outside of Gronk. Might have been a luxury pick as I probably could really use a RB....but best ball and stuff.

• Locked thread