Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Andy Reid's Mustache has a little less than an hour to pick before autodraft kicks in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Something associated with Andy Reid having poor clock management? Who would have thought.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

jabro posted:

Something associated with Andy Reid having poor clock management? Who would have thought.

loving LOL...that's hilarious.

5.07 - Danny Woodhead

I'm not entirely convinced on this pick. I'm following my head rather than my heart. Of the remaining RBs, he was among the highest scoring last year, and his only competition at RB is Melvin Gordon, a rookie coming off of an injury. Melvin could become the lead back and make 31 year old Woodhead obsolete, and I've never been overly impressed watching him play, but I'm going with the numbers here.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

timp posted:

loving LOL...that's hilarious.

5.07 - Danny Woodhead

I'm not entirely convinced on this pick. I'm following my head rather than my heart. Of the remaining RBs, he was among the highest scoring last year, and his only competition at RB is Melvin Gordon, a rookie coming off of an injury. Melvin could become the lead back and make 31 year old Woodhead obsolete, and I've never been overly impressed watching him play, but I'm going with the numbers here.

Looks like you actually grabbed Duke Johnson

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Veritek83 posted:

Looks like you actually grabbed Duke Johnson

Aw what the gently caress.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Maybe it's fate!?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
5.09 - Matt Jones

With the Redskins letting Morris walk and not picking up a RB in free agency Jones is the bonafide #1 RB in Washington. Having seven games against teams that placed in the bottom 10 rushing defense last year helps, too.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

timp posted:

Aw what the gently caress.

I thought I missed something and Duke got traded to the Chargers when I read that description.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If it wasn't best ball I wouldn't have gone Hill here but last season he clustered his TDs so let's see

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I feel like getting DeMarco Murray on the 5/6 turn was pretty solid value. I am certainly not expecting a season like 2014, but he doesn't have much competition in the backfield (Derrick Henry doesn't look like he will challenge much in his rookie season).

People seem pretty down on Sanders given the QB situation. Do I think Sanchez is a good QB? No, but I do think he is good enough to get Sanders decent fantasy points. Let's not forget that Sanders still had 1100 yards and 6 TD's with an awful Manning and Brock Osweiler throwing him the ball last year.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
DeMarco Murray is done. I kept preaching that HEY MAYBE WE SHOULD PUT DEMARCO UNDER CENTER. GIVE DEMARCO CARRIES SO HE CAN WARM UP. Yeah, well, for every -2 and -4 yard carry Murray had, there was two 4-8 yard carries by Matthews and Sproles each. And even when we gave Murray the carries, he could barely touch 100 yards with 20+ carries. Murray goes down in the backfield again! Matthews with a 12 yard gain, 1st down!! That was the Eagles run game last year. They even started playing Barner over him at the end. Maybe it was the offensive line?! DeMarco had 11 yards between both Week 1 and Week 2. What did Ryan Matthews do in Week 3 when Murray couldn't play? 108 yards against the defense that was #1 against the run.

It wasn't the line. It wasn't the scheme.

It was Murray.

The Heisman winner is taking Murray's job.

89 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 30, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Nowhere did I say that DeMarco ran well last year. But here are some points I would like to make:

-The Titans did not give Murray 12m guaranteed to have him sit on the bench
-He is better in pass protection, and I think is underrated as a receiver (300 yards receiving last year and a TD). Titans gotta protect Mariota.
-The first two games you mentioned where he totaled 11 yards on the ground...He ended up with 16 and 8 fantasy points in those games so while those yards are bad, his fantasy points were not.
-He was still the #17 RB in 0.5 PPR last year, despite the usage of Mathews and Barner

I think those are good enough reasons to take him at the bottom of the 5th

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I won't lie.

I do let some personal feelings influence my fantasy footballin' from time to time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MrSargent posted:

I feel like getting DeMarco Murray on the 5/6 turn was pretty solid value. I am certainly not expecting a season like 2014, but he doesn't have much competition in the backfield (Derrick Henry doesn't look like he will challenge much in his rookie season).

People seem pretty down on Sanders given the QB situation. Do I think Sanchez is a good QB? No, but I do think he is good enough to get Sanders decent fantasy points. Let's not forget that Sanders still had 1100 yards and 6 TD's with an awful Manning and Brock Osweiler throwing him the ball last year.

Had Sanders fallen to me I would have picked him up without hesitation.

This is definitely a difficult league to draft for. Nobody's really falling.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
89 have you tried trading your personal feelings

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

How can you put a price on dignity?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Spoeank posted:

...:D

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I think the joke is on us with the Andy Reid account and the timeouts.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

MrSargent posted:

The good thing about this league is that the average fantasy intelligence of the people here is much higher than in my main leagues.

The bad thing about this league is that the average fantasy intelligence of the people here is much higher than in my main leagues.

Just wanted to reiterate this. I feel like I am already better equipped for this year's draft in my main leagues.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
You sniping assholes!!

John Brown is gonna be The Real Deal this year. I'm quoting the same article, but I really dig it's statistical insights:

quote:

84. Antonio Brown is 5-foot-10 and 181 pounds.

84a. John Brown is 5-foot-11 and 179 pounds.

85. In Antonio Brown's first 31 NFL games, he had 111 catches for 1,717 yards and three touchdowns.

85a. In John Brown's first 31 NFL games, he had 113 catches for 1,699 yards and 12 touchdowns.

86. In the final seven weeks of the 2015 season, John Brown ran as many routes as DeAndre Hopkins.

86a. Hopkins led the NFL in routes run last season.

87. The only WRs in the NFL who averaged more air yards per target and saw more than 100 targets last season were Mike Evans and Allen Robinson.

88. Since Bruce Arians became the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals in 2013, no team has a higher air-yards-per-pass-attempt mark.

88a. Last season, only six wide receivers averaged more air yards per target than John Brown.

89 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 1, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

89 posted:

I think the joke is on us with the Andy Reid account and the timeouts.

If it happens again I am going to deal with it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
6.09: Danny Woodhead

Woodhead is another boring player who gets no respect. Although there's a chance that Gordon gets more involved, he had a terrible rookie season and microfracture surgery this year. Last year Woodhead finished as a top 10 RB. He could do it again.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
5.03 Michael Floyd
I like owning a piece of Arizona's passing game. I'd put his floor around 45/750/5, with major upside.

6.10 Tyler Lockett
Is Lockett for real? Can he even come close to meeting expectations? I hope so. A lot of very smart people think Lockett could have a huge year and at the end of the day, I know I should listen to smart people.

I guess it's time to start thinking about taking a running back. Gross.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
7.04 - DeSean Jackson

Reports are that Jackson is taking better care of himself in the offseason, and getting him as my WR4 is a pretty solid play. He's the last player in his tier and I wouldn't expect to see him come around again. I'm definitely going with a strict BPA approach this draft, with no position-heavy strategies and some pretty traditional moves like waiting on TEs and QBs. I considered locking up Gordon here as well, but I like Jackson's value more and between half PPR scoring and being able to take up to 4 WRs I think grabbing the wideout was the right choice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

6.11 Michael Crabtree
I was a Crabs fan when he played for SF, and I'm still a crabs fan with him in Oakland. People seem to be pretty positive about Carr's developing passing game; the team has some good options on running plays, which should take a little pressure off of the wideouts; and Amari Cooper should force cover to pick between focusing on him or Crabs. All of this adds up to a good show for a proven reliable WR. FantasyPros agrees with me and has Crabtree as among the next two or three undrafted WRs in our league. I'm happy to get him at the end of the 6th round.

7.2 Carson Palmer
I wasn't necessarily going to take a QB here, but I think for the seventh round this is a huge value. I see Palmer as a superbowl-quality passer, on a team prepped and ready to make another deep run into the playoffs. He's got tons of good weapons, too... as attested by the last few posts in this thread, praising Floyd, Brown, and Bruce Arians' coaching. Not to mention the team's tendency to rely heavily on a passing game that features both high-volume shallow routes and deep bombs. So I'm OK with grabbing my QB1 here, and honestly a little surprised Palmer is still available. Too many goons are sold on the draft-a-few-decent-QBs-late method, which works best when someone else is blowing early round picks - but in this league, this is the seventh QB off the list at the opening of the 7th round. There's gonna be a rush on QBs through rounds 7 and 8 and I don't want to be picking through mediocre guys at my next spot, 8.11.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
06.12 - Jeremy Langford
I was very indecisive about my picks here. Admittedly, even though I do NOT need another WR right now, I was gonna pick Tyler Lockett. Dude was a beast the last part of the season last year and I think he will be just as much this year. But, I was still only rocking LeSean McCoy, so I went with the best available RB in Langford. He did a great job filling in for Forte last year. Supposedly they are going with a committee in Chicago. But John Fox tends to right the hot hand (CJ Anderson). After games like St. Louis last year (almost 200 overall yards), I think Langford will control the Chicago backfield. There was other RBs I was looking at, but he's in the best situation.

07.01 - Drew Brees
It's best ball and I made a post earlier in the thread about not needing QBs....but when Drew Brees is staring at you in the 7th round, you take the guy. He's averaged over 5,000 yards and over 30 touchdowns a season for ten years. I needed another RB, but I'm cool with rounding out my roster with who I think will be a top 3 QB this year in Drew Brees.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's funny but the only reason I put Palmer into my list above Brees was because I already have Brees in the other slow draft league. It turned out you grabbed him before me so my decision was made anyway. But it's a great pick and I think Brees/Palmer at the top of the 7th is a couple of bargains for both of us.

I also really like Langford but I already loaded up on RBs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If the Andy Reid team misses it's draft again it's going on auto draft.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If the Andy Reid team misses it's draft again it's going on auto draft.

He already is! :rimshot:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Well played sir. Well played.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
And he's on auto draft. RCarr is still welcome to preselect players but his timer is set to 0. The auto draft is using FantasySharks so it won't be terrible like the previous setup.

RCarr shoot me a PM if there's a problem on your end.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So much for Torrey Smith being a value.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

The curse of your pick coming up on a Saturday night and having nothing queued. Go bort silence the haters

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Shrug. Too early to take a QB still IMO and gonna take the guy who is the WR1 on his team, is a big play threat, and will benefit from Chip's increase in play volume.

Im willing to bet his ADP will be seventh or sixth round by the time the season starts.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Spoeank posted:

The curse of your pick coming up on a Saturday night and having nothing queued. Go bort silence the haters

I checked this morning, worried my turn had come up last night and I had nothing queued. Thank you for your sacrifice.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
It's gonna end up being the guy in the slot that benefits from Chip's scheme ironically, cause Gabbert & Kaep can't throw downfield. I don't know this, but it would just be funny after everybody taking flyers on Torrey.

And it's cool having 2 picks right after another at #1 or #12, but drat it takes a long time to get back around.

89 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 4, 2016

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Catching up on some picks here:

5.05 - Donte Moncrief
I fully believe that the Colts offense is being really undervalued this year based on recency bias. A healthy Luck and an improved O-line should lead to some sweet fantasy production, and Moncrief should get the volume to have a decently high floor. An added plus is that TY is a nonfactor in the end zone, so Moncrief should be, at a minimum, the number 2 target behind Dwayne Allen. I'm expecting he will be a solid WR2/3 with upside.

6.08 - John Brown
89 pretty much said everything that needed to be said for this pick. While I usually take Matthew Berry's advice with a mine's worth of salt, we've already seen Brown produce well in his second season and the third season is usually a good bet for breakout potential.

7.05 - Corey Coleman
I made this pick while drunk at a wedding, which is pretty much the only circumstance where I'd ever draft a Brown on purpose. That being said, Coleman will be starting from day 1 and is obviously the most talented WR on the roster. Reports are that RGIII looks pretty underwhelming in camp, but that just means tons of sweet, sweet garbage time.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

89 posted:

It's gonna end up being the guy in the slot that benefits from Chip's scheme ironically, cause Gabbert & Kaep can't throw downfield. I don't know this, but it would just be funny after everybody taking flyers on Torrey.

And it's cool having 2 picks right after another at #1 or #12, but drat it takes a long time to get back around.

Yeah but uhm, have you seen the 49ers WR depth chart.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also the reason 49ers QBs don't throw deep is there's never time. In the last two years their OL has been so porous the QBs have no choice but to fire a quick pass or get sacked on pretty much every passing play. Last year at least Kaep learned to throw it out of bounds rather than force it into a covered man, but he was more than capable of deep balls in 2012-13.

He was sacked 52 times in 16 games in 2014. Last year his play was completely explainable by that one stat. He played like a man with PTSD. His sack percentage still went up: 9.8% of passing plays in 2014, 10.3% in 2015.
Check his advanced passing stats on this page. In 2012-13 his yards-per-attempt ratings were well above league average. They fall in a pretty close lockstep with sack percentage index (lower numbers are worse for that stat).

See, it turns out quarterbacks need to be protected. Who knew?

The niners were 29th in the league for QB protection in 2014, and fell to 31st (tied with the Browns) in the league in 2015. At least this year they bothered to draft a guard.

In 2013 they were 11th. That's quite a fall between 2011 and 2013!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

This is why Kaepernick broke, or at least my theory. He learned the game behind an a great pass blocking line and when that died, he died with it. Now the 49ers could put the greatest O-Line of all time out there and he would still suck poo poo because he's gotten so, so skittish now.

• Locked thread