Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
After consistently taking a WR/RB for my previous picks on the turn, I decided to look for value at the TE position.

Delaney Walker was unstoppable last year and was a favored target of Mariota. I believe he continues to eat and isn't as susceptible to TD regression like some of the other Tight Ends. Good value in the end of the 7th I feel.

For my second pick on the turn, I looked for BPA with a focus on the WR position. I really like Marvin Jones here as a high upside play due to his vertical ability.

Happy 4th everyone!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
8.08 - TJ Yeldon

It's hard to argue with Yeldon as an RB4 in the 8th round. Sure, Ivory can and probably will take over a sizable part of the backfield including goal line duties, but Yeldon is one of the few remaining RBs that is a starter and not an exclusively change of pace 3rd down back. In this format, I'll be happy if he maintains a floor of 7-8 pts per game with an occasional touchdown.

I'm feeling pretty happy with my team at this point in the draft. Zero RB seems to be the go-to draft strategy this season, so I like that I was able to snag some good value by zagging with Zero WR instead. That being said, all three of my RB picks for rounds 1-3 have serious question marks coming in to 2016 due to small sample size (D Johnson) or erratic past performance (D Martin, Lacy). So while this team could be beastly if those risks pay off, there is probably an equal chance that all three of those guys suck and my team swan dives when this stable of WRs can't compete with the rest of the league. That's fantasy!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

8.08 - TJ Yeldon

It's hard to argue with Yeldon as an RB4 in the 8th round. Sure, Ivory can and probably will take over a sizable part of the backfield including goal line duties, but Yeldon is one of the few remaining RBs that is a starter and not an exclusively change of pace 3rd down back. In this format, I'll be happy if he maintains a floor of 7-8 pts per game with an occasional touchdown.

I'm feeling pretty happy with my team at this point in the draft. Zero RB seems to be the go-to draft strategy this season, so I like that I was able to snag some good value by zagging with Zero WR instead. That being said, all three of my RB picks for rounds 1-3 have serious question marks coming in to 2016 due to small sample size (D Johnson) or erratic past performance (D Martin, Lacy). So while this team could be beastly if those risks pay off, there is probably an equal chance that all three of those guys suck and my team swan dives when this stable of WRs can't compete with the rest of the league. That's fantasy!

I would have taken him in a heartbeat if you hadn't.

This has been a ridiculously tough draft IMO.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would have taken him in a heartbeat if you hadn't.

This has been a ridiculously tough draft IMO.

Agreed on both counts. I had Yeldon on my list.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I almost queued Yeldon instead of Snead. Matt Harmon's Reception Perception sees good things for him & unless Cooks explodes in targets, he should still have his 100 targets from last year. Thomas is likely going to take Colston's 67+ a bit more.

Snead quietly had a really good season last year and I wanted to get a 3rd WR though.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 5, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

8.11 Kamar Aiken
It's probably going to take a while before we can be confident that Steve Smith, Sr. is WR1, or WR anything, in Baltimore. He's 37, coming off an Achilles injury, and has stated publicly that not only is this his last season, his only reason to still be playing is to get to 1000 receptions... and he has 961, so maybe he catches 40 balls and then checks out? So Aiken has WR1 upside, and at worst is one of the better WR2s still on the board. My only other issue here is that Aiken is on bye week 8, same as my WR1, so I'll need to be careful about my next WR pick.

I thought about TE in this spot too, but I think the big names are off the board and there's a ton of TE value still to be had in the next three to five rounds.

9.2 Markus Wheaton
gently caress, another week 8 bye? But Wheaton is a good WR who is probably secure as the #2 in Pittsburgh. Given how much attention Brown draws, I think Wheaton gets open a lot. He has the talent and the upside potential, but boy am I going to hurt in week 8.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 5, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
9.04 - Tom Brady
There's a healthy amount of risk here. Brady is old, and I'm committing to there being four games that he simply won't be there. But on the other hand it's Tom loving Brady, and I'd say there's a healthy amount of value in this pick in the 9th round.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
07.12 - Rashad Jennings
I think this guy's ADP is criminal. He's the #1 starting RB on the Giants. An offense that I disgustingly say is trending up very quickly. He's got Vereen behind him who's always been the pass catching back, but he's more situational. Rashad is a little injury prone, but he's #1 on the depth chart and the goal line back. He's always good for a few 100 yard games and he's helped me get to the playoffs twice. Be aware of the rookie RB, Paul Perkins. If Jennings goes down, I see Perkins taking over that role and he's supposed to be pretty good. I was kind of pissed when the Giants grabbed him.

But yeah, Jennings, they weren't giving the ball much to last year. Usually had about 12 carries a game. BUT, the last 4 games of the season when they finally started giving the ball to him (18+ carries a game)?
Week 14 - 81 yards rush, 21 yards receiving
Week 15 - 107 yards rush, 1 TD
Week 16 - 74 yards rush, 62 yards receiving
Week 17 - 170 yards rush, 1 TD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt1TiaoSvvY

08.01 - Chris Ivory
I know, TJ Yeldon. But they are paying Chris Ivory SIX MILLION. Dude is gonna be the starting back and will hit the numbers he hit last year (over 1,000 yards). TJ Yeldon proved to be nothing special this year, but I expect him to be involved heavily in this timeshare with Ivory taking the hot hand, I'm predicting. Yeldon had the easiest strength of schedule for a RB like ever in the fantasy playoffs month and proceeded to do nothing with it last year. You guys remember that hype? Ivory should also end up being the goal line back.

Ivory for the win. Dude is always under drafted and always exceeds his ADP by like 4 rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6-WXS2lQuk

89 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 6, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I forgot I had gronk and I got Ebron :negative:

Two picks burnt up. Anyway I drafted Ebron because the Lions receiving corps is a bunch of tiny baby receivers and Ebron is going to get a bunch of Megatron's red zone targets.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dang. I saw all the TEs left and figured a good one would still be there at the end of the 10th, but not if you guys all go on a TE run.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

9.05 - Eli Manning

I think Eli has every opportunity to put up a top 5 season this year, but I still think that drafting him in the 9th is too early. The problem at this stage of the draft is that I feel like I would be reaching on a TE and reaching on most of my sleeper picks at WR and RB. So for that reason, Eli it is. If the O-line even sort of shows up this year and Sterling Shepard is Real, then Eli will have a drat fine season in 2016. He's projected to have the easiest schedule in the NFL this year, a potentially great set of receiving weapons, and an offense that should play to his strengths. Not to mention that interceptions don't count against him in this league so yaaaay.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I've got a bunch of picks to catch up on. Here goes:

4.05 Latavius Murray
I'm not a huge fan of Murray, who was pretty ineffecient in his carries last year, but he's likely still the workhorse behind a much improved O-line in Oakland. If his volume is comparable to last year, he should see an improvement this year as Oakland figures to be a more competitive team this year.

5.08 Jay Ajayi
Similar to the Murray pick, I'm on Ajayi more for situation than anything this season. Though Miami did try to bring in CJA and kicked the tires on Foster this offseason, they seem to have settled on Ajayi as their guy, with Kenyan Drake available for third down/change of pace work. I read something on Rotoviz a few weeks ago about how Miami has one of the most valuable RB workloads this year under the Gase regime, so let me go with that as my answer.

6.05 Gio Bernard
Super underrated. Has finished as a top 20 back in PPR every year he's been in the league, and the Bengals just resigned him to a solid contract. With the departure of Marvin Jones/Mo Sanu, and the dubious health of Eifert, someone besides AJG is going to have to catch some passes this year - and I'm more willing to bet on that being Gio than LaFell or rookie Tyler Boyd.

7.08 Torrey Smith
Yep, this was a bit of a reach given current ADP. We already talked about this pick in the thread though, so no need to rehash.

8.05 Zach Ertz
I seem to be ending up with a lot of Ertz in drafts this year, and I think this is a decent place to grab him. Positive TD regression is coming his way, and he's steadily improved his production over the past few seasons.

9.08 Philip Rivers
Rivers to Allen all year long.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
10.10 LeGarrette Blount - I think the only way I'll ever touch this guy is in best ball. That said, 2 or more multiple TD games are a distinct possibility and I don't have to worry about which weeks they'll come.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

10.11 Antonio Gates
Really needed a TE by now, so I filled out my autodraft list with the top five left and Gates fell to me. I had him above Ladarius Green, who got drafted a few spots ahead, so I feel like it's OK. The main knock against Gates is that he's old, but he didn't look too old to perform well last year and on balance I think he should be fine. Whatever, it's a tight end.

11.02 Vincent Jackson
V-Jax never quite turned into the big star he was supposed to be, did he? I think as a result people tend to dismiss him in fantasy. But in the 11th round, come on! OK he was injured and missed like six games last year. He's 33, which is not too old for WRs, more like the prime years. He's WR2 behind Mike Evans, who gets huge volume. The remaining WR options on the Bucs are decidedly underwhelming, and his sophomore year is a good bet for Jameis Winston to settle down and start really producing. All told I like Jackson's floor (uninjured) at probably 60 yards a game ish, and I like his ceiling (2012) of more like 85+. He had 1000 yards in 2014, how many WR2s left on the board have had 1k yard seasons, ever? Jackson has 8 1000+ yard seasons in 10 16-game years. Not too shabby.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I reached on my picks of Michael Thomas and Mohammed Sanu. I needed some WR backup and left better talent on the board. It's getting thin, folks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's only round 11, man. There's still 13 more rounds to go!

...and you get pick #288. You get to decide who is bubble boy.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
poo poo! I thought we only had like 3 or 4 rounds left!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For this format you need to get familiar with the RB4 and WR5s of the league. And probably most of the starting QBs in the NFL will be owned.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have you all right where I want you with my patented no-QB strategy.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Sorry I haven't been doing my updates. My kid decided night hiking is a good idea and fell 100 feet so I've been living in the hospital for the last week. I'll do an effort post with all my guys when I get some time.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

jabro posted:

Sorry I haven't been doing my updates. My kid decided night hiking is a good idea and fell 100 feet so I've been living in the hospital for the last week. I'll do an effort post with all my guys when I get some time.

Holy poo poo man I hope he is ok.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

MrSargent posted:

Holy poo poo man I hope he is ok.

He will be after some time. Right now his mom and I are concentrating in getting him well enough to put him back in the hospital for doing this.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jabro posted:

No worries man, glad your kid is alive. At least until he heals up.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I will go back and do some of my notes for my previous picks tomorrow. I have been consumed by Pokemon Go.

Beer knows what I'm talking about...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MrSargent posted:

I will go back and do some of my notes for my previous picks tomorrow. I have been consumed by Pokemon Go.

Beer knows what I'm talking about...

I walked 3.5km today while chasing virtual monsters. In the summer heat. Fortunately I took my dog with me so I didn't look crazy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am in Portland on my way to wisconsin via montana, drafting using hastily thrown together lists on my kindle, and that's why I got mariota apparently.

Also lol did someone draft josh gordon?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Andy Reid's Auto-Draft

Filling in on my picks:

7.03- Charles Sims
I think he's startable in .5 PPR as is, and if Martin goes down, Sims should become a high end RB2.

8.10- Justin Forsett
He's still at the top of the Ravens depth chart and it's tough to pass up the opportunity to get a lead back in the 8th. Trestman will hopefully get him 40-50 catches again, assuming he stays healthy.

9.03- Theo Riddick
Another pass catching back in a murky backfield situation. Yeah, I don't think there's much chance that Riddick takes carries away from Abdullah (or Zenner) but I also think the Lions are likely to be playing a lot of catchup and I think Riddick puts up at least 60 catches.

11.03- Stefon Diggs
Diggs should be the top WR in Minnesota and while there are a ton of caveats, it's not outrageous to think he could flirt with 1000 yards this season. Not necessarily likely, but as my 5th WR in the 11th round, I'll take the upside possibility.

12.10- Jerrick McKinnon
He's got huge potential if ADP goes down. I know everyone talks about how Peterson is a genetic experiment that escaped from a government lab, but he's 31. I've been 31. It's not great. Even if Peterson stays healthy and doesn't whip any children, McKinnon should have some value on passing downs and as a change of pace back.

13.03- Arizona Cardinals Defense
I just finished All or Nothing on Amazon Prime over the weekend.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Catching up on some picks:

10.08 - Tavon Austin

Tavon Austin is the only real receiving threat on the Rams, and he's been pretty effective out of the backfield as well. I imagine that Fisher will continue to find interesting ways to get him the ball, and he will continue to do some cool things while ultimately being underwhelming and inconsistent as a fantasy asset. Still, in best ball I only need to care about those games where he will catch 5 balls and rush for a TD, so I'm fine with Austin in the 10th round. Also, there is the glimmer of hope that Jared Goff actually creates something resembling a passing attack in LA.

11.05 - Dwayne Allen
Once again I'm all in on the Indianopolis offense and I just can't help it. With Fleener gone, Allen stands to benefit. Luck has thrown something crazy like 33% of his TD passes to TEs, so assuming that the Colts don't acquire anyone else and Allen can stay healthy, he should get a healthy helping of red zone looks.

12.08 - Denver Broncos DST
I felt pretty comfortable with my situation at QB, WR, RB and TE (well not really, but I didn't feel like overpaying for another TE), so I figured it was time to grab a DST. Since I had my pick at any DST, I might as well go with the most dominant in recent history. That being said, there is every chance that the Broncos are "only" a top 5 DST this year. In hindsight, I'm feeling more pumped about the Cardinals and kind of wish I had grabbed them instead. Oh well.

13.05 - Martellus Bennett
Bill Belichick is never predictable, but if there were ever a situation where he was going to revive the 2 TE passing attack, now is the time. Martellus Bennett is the best No. 2 TE the Pats have had since that other guy who is now in jail, and the rest of the receiving corp outside of Julian Edelman and Gronk is dogshit. TE seems to be even more of a crapshoot than usual, but I'm willing to gamble that Bennett breaks into the top 10 at TE.

14.08 - James Starks
Essentially a handcuff in case Eddie Lacy is not a changed man this year. When Lacy struggled last year, they went to Starks early and often.

15.05 - Jay Cutler
I ended up with a QB duo of Eli and Cutler in the last slow draft, and I don't see any reason to let up on that when I can grab Jay in the 15th. These two have relatively complementary schedules, and they are both gunslingers with boom or bust potential. With ints not counting against them in this scoring system, they should both have decent floors and high ceilings.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh posted:

I am in Portland on my way to wisconsin via montana, drafting using hastily thrown together lists on my kindle, and that's why I got mariota apparently.

Also lol did someone draft josh gordon?

Sup driving from Portland to the Midwest buddy :hfive:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

16.08 - Packers DST
There were a few other DSTs on the board which are more highly ranked on paper, but when I looked at their schedules I puked. The Packers have a pretty easy schedule this year and their offense should be clicking again with the return of Jordy and a hopefully improved Lacy. That should translate to longer drives, less opportunity for the opponent's offense, and less time on the field for the Packers D.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Making draft picks from my cell phone on the wifi at the visitor's center in Cooke City, montana. Sprint has no service in this state as far as I can tell. :argh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh posted:

Making draft picks from my cell phone on the wifi at the visitor's center in Cooke City, montana. Sprint has no service in this state as far as I can tell. :argh:

Yeah, I had Google Fi and it was kinda spotty outside of the major metros

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Tim Hightower literally won me a league last year's playoffs so I owed him this pick.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

Tim Hightower literally won me a league last year's playoffs so I owed him this pick.

He's actually a pretty solid option given how little competition there is in NO and Ingram's injury history.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He's actually a pretty solid option given how little competition there is in NO and Ingram's injury history.

I had to go dig up my slight effortpost about Ingram's injury history because while he has had injuries, they have been more random than chronic/targeted.

quote:

I did some research into Ingram's injury history and here is what I found.

2010 - Knee Sprain caused him to miss OTA's as a rookie. Had surgery and missed one game.
2011 - Turf Toe. Underwent surgery and missed last 3 games of season.
2012 - Healthy
2013 - Turf Toe. Missed 5 games in the beginning of the season.
2014 - Fractured Hand. Missed 5 games.
2015 - Shoulder injury, underwent surgery. Missed 5 games.

After 2013, I would have been concerned about re-occurring turf toe, but since then he hasn't dealt with that injury. A hand fracture and shoulder injury in the next two years don't really point to him being "injury prone" as those seem to be random injuries that can happen to pretty much any RB. I do understand the hesitation when you see that he has only had one full healthy year, but I think I am willing to look past that since the injuries weren't really serious (like ACL/MCL, etc.) and haven't shown that they are repeating.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ugh, I didn't realize I was up and close to expiring and auto-drafted. Fortunately, it wasn't a wasted pick as I got a Kicker which I didn't have. I decided to take another RB since I think that is where I am weakest and went with Jonathan Williams. With Karlos Williams suspended for the first 4 games and also fat, Jonathan Williams could see some field time behind McCoy. The Bills run the ball more than anyone else and at this point in the draft I think that makes him a decent flyer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was gonna draft Hightower next. :argh:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Catanzaro and Tucker gonna kick my way to fantasy glory.

Weird Chandler Catanzaro stat: He missed 5 PATs and missed one FG within 49 yards (and that's because he was 6/7 from 40-49)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MrSargent posted:

I had to go dig up my slight effortpost about Ingram's injury history because while he has had injuries, they have been more random than chronic/targeted.

Interesting. I'm still not convinced I would draft him given other options available, but I could see an argument if he becomes a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Prediction: Matt Asiata leads my WR, RB & TE in scoring more than one week. In these weeks he will have 8 carries for 6 touchdowns and -3 total yards.

• Locked thread