Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
okay i don't really mean it but im just gonna play something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It pushes you that way because of events. They're really fun events though, you're missing out.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
You might be right.

I just need a breather. My whole playstyle has now been rendered both wrong and impossible. Gonna have to rethink my whole character.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Turns out I lied, the last dlc did apparently add a "loyalty" ending. Googling suggests it's just a conversation option at the end and independent of the path you are on however.

I'd just keep going if I were you, though if you have to restart I'd suggest going with the disfavored and picking the library / skipping lerian's crossing when the choice comes up.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Buying a poorly reviewed DLC for $14.99 just to get an ending that should have already been there is a hard pill to swallow.

I think I'll just re-roll for the Disfavored so that I can at least say I tried to be loyal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sowing chaos is also showing loyalty to kyros.

You know what's disloyal? QUITTING LIKE A QUITTER.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

To be fair, remaining loyal to Kyros and actually consistently upholding his/her laws is basically an impossible task for a multitude of reasons. It is a little odd that the betrayal option for Chorus in the Blade Grave is at the very start though. Saving the daughter and ending the edict would definitely be a more sensible spot for it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

RickDaedalus posted:

Buying a poorly reviewed DLC for $14.99 just to get an ending that should have already been there is a hard pill to swallow.

I think I'll just re-roll for the Disfavored so that I can at least say I tried to be loyal.

You don't need to buy the DLC, that ending stuff was added via a content update for everyone.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

RickDaedalus posted:

okay i don't really mean it but im just gonna play something else

The fact that they stick the betrayal stuff in lovely spots and not where you would want them is dumb BUT Kyros does not generally want you to end his edicts so if you are committed to being loyal I dont know you would have ending them as a goal. They are a symbol of his power and the cost of resistance, a warning to others.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Fruits of the sea posted:

To be fair, remaining loyal to Kyros and actually consistently upholding his/her laws is basically an impossible task for a multitude of reasons. It is a little odd that the betrayal option for Chorus in the Blade Grave is at the very start though. Saving the daughter and ending the edict would definitely be a more sensible spot for it.
Tyranny is a game that has a lot of choice but consistently and surprisingly bad choice design. Obvious path branches (obvious even on first playthrough) are blocked for reasons that are rarely if ever made clear to the player, like an invisible wall in front of a road that clearly leads somewhere. It has the frequent effect of making you feel herded, which is a real kiss of death for a game like this.

Moreover, perhaps because of the developers being less invested in fascist role play than players (which is, frankly, a problem the developers made for themselves), Tyranny shows more dissonance between player concept of character and in-game representation than practically any other RPG I’ve ever seen. Every other player is like “I envisioned my character as X but I couldn’t play her that way.” All RPGs run into this to some extent but it’s really pronounced with Tyranny.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It probably depends, they were all supposed to be ended by design - would depend on if you do it by fulfilling the intent or exploit the wording to find a loophole.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I suppose it’s a cautionary tale - replayability is a cool thing for marketing purposes, but if you’re carving up your content arbitrarily just so that a player can’t jump back to a save a few hours beforehand to see different stuff, and mandating that a full replay from the beginning (not even the end of the prologue, but the beginning) is needed, you really ought to have a shorter game than this, at the very least.

They bit off way more than they could chew, and the intended effect is killed - I go into a game that touts choice expecting the feeling of freedom and being surprised by unpredictable outcomes. When I played Tyranny I felt like I was in a walled garden, and just about every outcome felt mandated.

I mean, whether you love the game or not, can you point to a piece of C&C that makes you go “man that’s clever” as much as, say, goading Marburg, or getting read the riot act by Albatross (or Mina!), or double-crossing Shaheed, from Alpha Protocol? The most memorable bit from Tyranny (for me) is beaning a monologuing enemy with a rock and having him show up later with a concussion in battle. That’s it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tyranny has a problem of being railroady with respect to which of the four paths you picked at the beginning. Nerat is never going to not kill people.

If you want to not be an rear end in a top hat, the rebels are right there.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

I'm hoping for a Tyranny sequel where one of the party members is an Archon because they spread rumors that they're an Archon.

He said he was the Archon of Blockchain and his power went up 1000%

Archon powers are kinda like the stock market in a sense

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
im kinda sad we wont get any more Verse :/

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

wiegieman posted:

If you want to not be an rear end in a top hat, the rebels are right there.

Rebels are also assholes.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

I suppose it’s a cautionary tale - replayability is a cool thing for marketing purposes, but if you’re carving up your content arbitrarily just so that a player can’t jump back to a save a few hours beforehand to see different stuff, and mandating that a full replay from the beginning (not even the end of the prologue, but the beginning) is needed, you really ought to have a shorter game than this, at the very least.

Interesting critique, and not saying I disagree, but this is the opposite feeling of most people after finishing the game. Saying it felt unfinished and wishing it were longer was maybe the #1 complaint I saw.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Both things are true. The game is not substantial enough to cash the checks it writes in terms of story scope and stakes, and it ends on a rising motion without a climax. It's also paced too slowly to capitalize on the joy of C&C the way that Alpha Protocol or Way of the Samurai did.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's weird because the game also teases a load of issues that matter to the setting; 'who built the oldwalls?' 'what is the deal with the bane?' 'are people born as archons (if so why?) or can anyone aspire to that state with enough power of belief?' 'what's the relation between being powerful because people believe in your power, and being powerful because you are channeling raw magical power out of the earth via a huge tower?'

Leaving those as mysteries I think works really well in a short game. In a game that feels like it's missing a middle Act it should have been a place to flesh out.

I seem to differ from most in that I think the game ends at the perfect moment for the story being told - you certainly couldn't continue the story as a party based RPG, but nor do I really think that more needs to be told, just as you don't have to start the story at the beginning of Kryos's conquest.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I finally started on this, months after everyone else is done with it. The combat is definitely fairly weak, but the story stuff is growing on me, I'm in the second act and just got to the point where I can access the DLC area so missives and things to do are flowing in thick and fast. When I arrived at Halfgate I got a little popup that I got a message from Tunon and audibly went "ooh!"

I quite like how tight money is so far, and the dialogue options seem good and broad- I'm predictably siding with the rebels, and I've always got the option to suggest I'm doing it to fight Kyros or doing it for my own ends. Chatting about lore with Tunon and Lantry has been a high point so far, but the most shocking fact came from talking with Sirin: Kyros is a PERSON?! Who hosts PARTIES?!?!?!?!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its less fun when you find out its The Edict of Partying.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
From what I understand, the second act consists of three quest chains where you forge alliances (on the rebel path anyway) and claim spires, and then after act 2 ends the companion quests become inaccessible. Is there a specific "point of no return" to watch out for? I kind of want to do companion quests as late as possible, but don't want to accidentally rush past them.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm pretty sure the Trial of the Archons is your point of no return for Act 3, but don't quote me on that, it's been a while.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You'll get a message that things are going down at the Vendrien's Well Spire once you complete your third quest chain, but I don't know if you have to respond to it immediately or can still do sidequests after. I'd save before handing in the final alliance quest, to be sure.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

So, I'm just getting started with this game. Reading around online, the mood I get is that (a) the ruleset and spell creation is quite well done and interesting, but (b) playing through the actual combat, at the higher difficulties where having good builds matters, is a repetitive chore and not very exciting. I set the starting difficulty at PotD and I think I can glimpse a preview of that - it seems more babysitting cooldowns and aggro and sticking to a single well-optimised plan than reacting to surprises. (Probably relevant: I like tactical games like XCOM or Shadowrun well enough, but I've never particularly enjoyed min-maxxing MMORPGs or action RPGs.)

Has anybody played through the game in Story Mode? Is it fun to stroll through the game by crafting spells and picking abilities for cool effects over actual effectiveness, or did it get boring without combat challenges?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 18, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I haven't played through in Story Mode, but I would say that the combat is largely unremarkable. The encounter design in particular falls off a cliff after Act 1, and the aggro mechanic is dirt simple (literally, enemies will attempt to attack the character with the lowest armour value preferentially, which means evasion or HP tanks trivialise the aggro system, and the intended "armour tank" character isn't very good at his job). Most fights are just having a bunch of guys run at your frontliners - there are almost no surprises, enemy types that require specific reactions, attempts to flank you, or terrain setups that change the tenor or pace of the combat.

There are a couple of cool bossfights though. Two of the endgame bossfights, at least, I enjoyed and found challenging enough.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
As far as Baulders Gate type games goes this one has a similar combat pacing as Planescape: Torment.

The combat is there and inoffensive at worst. I played through as a fist mage and my main character was usually above par if I kept my spells in order. The companions are effective if you pick a direction in their skill trees and pick up on thr synergies.

From the tone of your post. Normal would be best. These things are novels.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The power curve is a little wonky in Tyranny. It starts off quite challenging and then somewhere in Act 2 (probably after your 2nd or third spire, if playing in potd or hard) the player starts crushing everything.

So I wouldn't worry too much- by the time fights start getting repetitive, your party's power will be snowballing. So feel free to start experimenting with the spell system and character builds.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's pretty much your standard RPG power curve, really. Early game can be tough because you don't have much in the way of abilities, and it gets easier as you level up, not helped in this game by the enemy variety basically being Ranged Humans and Melee Humans. I took it down from Hard to Easy for the first Bane boss fight, but I could probably have done it with different party members. Definitely switch it down to Easy if the combat isn't grabbing you by the end of the first act, I think the story is compelling enough to be worth it

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'll start at Normal and if I still find the combat annoying I'll switch to Story and just let it play in realtime.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Do yourself a favor and train Lore every level on every character at least until it's high enough to cast Heal.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Do yourself a favor and train Lore every level on every character at least until it's high enough to cast Heal.

Which is a skill you get by talking to Lantry, which I missed the first time through.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Heh. Must have made the game frustrating.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Heh. Must have made the game frustrating.

You have no idea

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Did you at least get Ebb's sigil? Vampiric weapons do enough healing that I could see that spell and consumables getting you through the game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure you can buy the healing sigil somewhere in Act II. Most sigils can be acquired in at least two different spots, including Terratus if you have Bastard's Wound.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I think Lantry is the only person who can teach you healing. Maybe it's for sale in the DLC, but nobody else cares about healing in the setting. The Chorus is fire and emotion and the Disfavored are Earth and something. It's been long enough I might pick up the DLC and play through again.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Did you at least get Ebb's sigil? Vampiric weapons do enough healing that I could see that spell and consumables getting you through the game.

I know I've used those but I don't think it was on my first playthrough. I recall starting on hard ("I've played this kind of game before") and had to lower it to normal because I kept burning through potions.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ahahaha, amazing amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It did feel a little weird that with high enough conversational skills I could just powerslam my way through most companions' dialog trees in one shot.

Just start out talking to Verse, by the end of it boom level 3 friendship and I'm still on the ridge at the start of the game.

• Locked thread