Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its true im a huge friedman fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Xandu posted:

That being said, I don't believe owning a gun is a right and I'm in favor of any steps that will limit people's access to guns. And certainly if the government is comfortable saying 'we don't trust this person on planes' then not trusting them to own a gun is a no brainer.

Finally some comedy in this bonerkiller of a forum

G.C. Furr III
Mar 30, 2016

but what was his opinion on gun ownership

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lmao tools of self preservation.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fast Luck posted:

Is that the direction you want the "left" in this country to go? can't wait until both parties are in a pissing match trying to be tougher on terrorism than the other, irrespective of constitutionality and due process and any evidence of effectiveness

btw :siren: Dems ended the sit-in http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/house-democrats-sit-in-day-2-224719

got this OP in just under the buzzer

Nice shifting of goalposts, and once again it's not about the bill, it's about making republicans choosing on record between the NRA or national security.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its a freaking deep dish pizza not a hamburger.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

A Winner is Jew posted:

Nice shifting of goalposts, and once again it's not about the bill, it's about making republicans choosing on record between the NRA or national security.
im not shifting goalposts, that's clearly a false choice, the policy isn't even good which is a fine reason to oppose it, and the republicans are just calling it a publicity stunt (which it was)

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
only the rich can own the good weapons (tanks, missile launchers, automatic weapons, large jet planes filled with fuel, private mercenary armies) right now anyway.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
also The One Fried Mans take on guns is probably something like, I was in Bankok having high tea with the CEO of one of the largest slave labor providers in the eastern hemisphere when suddenly he looked at me and said "Thomas, never bring a knife to a gunfight." This stuck with me for a while until one night in Alexanderplatz I realized, my God, he was telling me we need expanded background checks!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fast Luck posted:

im not shifting goalposts, that's clearly a false choice, the policy isn't even good which is a fine reason to oppose it, and the republicans are just calling it a publicity stunt (which it was)

Once again it's not about the policy, it's about getting republicans to go on record choosing between the NRA and national security.

And no loving poo poo it's a publicity stunt. It's a publicity stunt to force republicans to go on record choosing between the NRA and national security.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

if guns are banned we will be limited to more dangerous and less effective ways of escaping this hell-planet and i cannot support this

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

paranoid randroid posted:

also The One Fried Mans take on guns is probably something like, I was in Bankok having high tea with the CEO of one of the largest slave labor providers in the eastern hemisphere when suddenly he looked at me and said "Thomas, never bring a knife to a gunfight." This stuck with me for a while until one night in Alexanderplatz I realized, my God, he was telling me we need expanded background checks!

but who would be able to midwife such a radical idea?

http://thomasfriedmanopedgenerator.com/The+World+We%27re+Actually+Living+In+579ec7

quote:

Last week's events in Canada were truly historic, although we may not know for years or even decades what their final meaning is. It is impossible not to be tantalized by the potential of these events to change the course of Canada's history. What's important, however, is that we focus on what this means on the street. The current administration seems too caught up in spinning the facts to pay attention to how their people are doing. Just call it missing the fields for the wheat.

When thinking about the ongoing troubles, it's important to remember three things: One, people don't behave like computer programs, so attempts to treat them as such inevitably look foolish. Computer programs never suddenly shift their course in order to fit with a predetermined set of beliefs. Two, Canada has spent decades as a dictatorship closed to the world, so a mindset of peace and stability will seem foreign and strange. And three, capitalism is an extraordinarily powerful idea: If authoritarianism is Canada's glass ceiling, then capitalism is certainly its tabletop.

When I was in Canada last month, I was amazed by the level of Westernization for such a closed society, and that tells me two things. It tells me that the citizens of Canada have no shortage of courage, and that is a good beginning to grow from. Second, it tells me that people in Canada are just like people anywhere else on this flat earth of ours.

So what should we do about the chaos in Canada? Well, it's easier to start with what we should not do. We should not ignore the problem and pretend it will go away. Beyond that, we need to be careful to nurture the fragile foundations of peace. The opportunity is there, but I worry that the path to peace is so narrow that Canada will have to move down it very slowly. And of course Ottawa needs to feel like it is part of the process.

Speaking with a small business entrepreneur from the large Protestant community here, I asked her if there was any message that she wanted me to carry back home with me. She pondered for a second, and then smiled and said, reiaya-li-kona, which is a local saying that means roughly, "A gift given in secret soothes anger, and a bribe concealed in the cloak pacifies great wrath."

I don't know what Canada will be like a few years from now, but I do know that it will probably look very different from the country we see now, even if it remains true to its basic cultural heritage. I know this because, through all the disorder, the people still haven't lost sight of their dreams.

i love the friedman generator its great

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

god no let me die with dignity i don't want my last words to be all high pitched

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Thomas Friedman is basically a pug with an op ed column

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Once again it's not about the policy, it's about getting republicans to go on record choosing between the NRA and national security.

And no loving poo poo it's a publicity stunt. It's a publicity stunt to force republicans to go on record choosing between the NRA and national security.

pretty cool that racial profiling = national security. when did the republicans get the democrats to make that choice

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

ahaha

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Thomas Friedman wakes up every morning thinking he just had the most brilliant revelation about international trade but he forgets it when he rolls over and knocks over his globe-shaped lamp. Every. Morning.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

pretty cool that racial profiling = national security. when did the republicans get the democrats to make that choice

when noted democratic president george w bush ordered the TSC into existence

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
wanna drop some molly w/ Thomas Friedman and just talk for hours about how loving amazing literally everything is. youre wearing a shirt that had to come over from india on a boat, thats awesome.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

so it won't pass, and if it does, it will be overturned. And if it does pass, and isn't overturned, it'll suck poo poo since terror watch lists are bogus. That's our democrats!

lol this is like the whole merrick garland crap

trying to troll teh GOP by slowly giving into their demands is a pretty stupid idea. they'll just keep moving farther and farther right, and you'll just continue to follow them down that rabbit hole.

like we all know that the GOP hates the dems no matter what they do. we don't need that point proven time and time again. we get it. there must be a better way to counter obstructionism than to shift rightward to "prove a point"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wanna drop some molly w/ Thomas Friedman and just talk for hours about how loving amazing literally everything is. youre wearing a shirt that had to come over from india on a boat, thats awesome.

I did this and it wasn't long until he started excitedly talking about how you can get hookers delivered from every nation too and by the way do you want to split one so I ditched him and hung out with Karl Rove who was doing blow in the next room

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

zen death robot posted:

It looks like a burger dude

if it makes u feel better i, too, thought it was a hamburger

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Actually this is a great way to prove a point on an election year

evidently the point is: Trump is right about muslims

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Thomas Friedman is basically a pug with an op ed column

plz do not insult pugs like this

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Al! posted:

I did this and it wasn't long until he started excitedly talking about how you can get hookers delivered from every nation too and by the way do you want to split one so I ditched him and hung out with Karl Rove who was doing blow in the next room

well of course if you let him bring Turdblossom Rove along shits gonna get weird.

the other possibility is getting liquored up with Charles Pierce and then we crash Friedmans fussy little townhouse and draw dicks all over everything

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
when trump doubles down on this and decides to use the terror list as the vehicle to deprive all sorts of other constitutional rights from innocent people, are liberals going to realize what they did? history suggests: no

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Your average voter doesn't want to pay any attention to this poo poo so grandstanding is sometimes necessary

the grandstanding is: lets go hog wild with racial profiling in this, the year of donald trump and black lives matter

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

zen death robot posted:

Your average voter doesn't want to pay any attention to this poo poo so grandstanding is sometimes necessary

well i hope they do this grandstanding on other important issues then, with better bills attached to them :)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

People being gunned down randomly daily is a pretty big issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Al! posted:

i didn't say "more important issues" i said "OTHER important issues" fyi~

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

But this sit-in isn't about the police violence. :confused:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

it's good because dylann roof, the aurora shooter, and the connecticut shooter were all on the terrorist list so they would have been prevented

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
much like fiddy in the hit action-adventure shooter game 50 Cent: Bulletproof and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, what really, truly matters to me is that no one try to steal my platinum diamond skull, and sometimes you need guns to ensure that happens and to wear body armor all the time in case people with guns come after your skull. its a vicious cycle, to be a platinum diamond skull-haver.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Remember the same day as sandy hook some guy stabbed a bunch of kids at a Chinese school but none of them got killed? I wonder what Thomas Friedman would say about that

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Karl Barks posted:

it's good because dylann roof, the aurora shooter, and the connecticut shooter were all on the terrorist list so they would have been prevented

Didn't Roof's mom buy him the gun

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Al! posted:

i agree ban the police

edit:beat like powercrazy was a cop

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I agree, we should disarm the police

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i didn't say disarm

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

you know that kickstarter for barkley 2, theres some guy that's designing thousands of gun sprites by hand but as far as i can tell otherwise they've completely stopped working on the game. it's a lot like those clown's in congress!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

And I didn't say what we would do to them after we disarmed them

• Locked thread