Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Condiv posted:

a perfectly reasonable analogy for a perfectly reasonable strategy. i'm just trying my best to capture the brilliance of expanding the powers of the no-fly list in order to get the public to care about it and push to repeal it. it's not like the american public is nakedly racist towards muslims or anything.

Just like there is not a large and incredibly powerful lobby for muslims in the US, there is also not a large and incredibly powerful lobby for gun owners in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

A Winner is Jew posted:

Just like there is not a large and incredibly powerful lobby for muslims in the US, there is also not a large and incredibly powerful lobby for gun owners in the US.

why is the ACLU so shortsighted? apparently they oppose this measure that will create a powerful lobby for muslims in the near future! can they not comprehend the brilliant 11th dimensional chess the democrats are playing in order to protect our rights?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Condiv posted:

why is the ACLU so shortsighted? apparently they oppose this measure that will create a powerful lobby for muslims in the near future! can they not comprehend the brilliant 11th dimensional chess the democrats are playing in order to protect our rights?

It's not 11'th dimensional chess dipshit, it's a publicity stunt to force republicans to choose between the NRA and national security.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's not 11'th dimensional chess dipshit, it's a publicity stunt to force republicans to choose between the NRA and national security.

i agree! allowing guys like drew griffin, john lewis, and nelson mandela to purchase firearms is a grave threat to our national security.

Condiv has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Jun 25, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Condiv posted:

i agree! allowing guys like drew griffin or john lewis to be able to purchase a firearm is a grave threat to our national security.

Holy poo poo you're a loving moron.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

A Winner is Jew posted:

Holy poo poo you're a loving moron.

what's wrong? i'm just agreeing with you! stuff like this was great and i can't wait till we can stop the republicans from coddling these threats to national security.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Condiv posted:

what's wrong? i'm just agreeing with you! stuff like this was great and i can't wait till we can stop the republicans from coddling these threats to national security.

For starters, John Lewis, the first name on that list was the one that started the sit-in. I mean that should have been clue #1 that you're a massive loving idiot but apparently not.

Secondly, there's this group of people that call themselves republicans... maybe you've heard of them. Well these republicans always talk about how they're both pro-gun and pro-national security. They also made this thing called the terror watch list and talk about how that list is very pro-national security even though it's a very, very bad thing.

So these people called democrats want to pass gun control legislation because of things like mass killings happening to kids, movie-goers, and gays at a dance club, but can't because of republicans are anti gun-legislation.

So what the democrats (re: John Lewis) did was come up with a publicity stunt to make republicans go on record to choose between being pro-gun but being anit-national security, or choose between being anti-gun but being pro-national security.

Hopefully I used small enough words so you can finally understand such a complex and nuanced issue.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

A Winner is Jew posted:

For starters, John Lewis, the first name on that list was the one that started the sit-in. I mean that should have been clue #1 that you're a massive loving idiot but apparently not.

Secondly, there's this group of people that call themselves republicans... maybe you've heard of them. Well these republicans always talk about how they're both pro-gun and pro-national security. They also made this thing called the terror watch list and talk about how that list is very pro-national security even though it's a very, very bad thing.

So these people called democrats want to pass gun control legislation because of things like mass killings happening to kids, movie-goers, and gays at a dance club, but can't because of republicans are anti gun-legislation.

So what the democrats (re: John Lewis) did was come up with a publicity stunt to make republicans go on record to choose between being pro-gun but being anit-national security, or choose between being anti-gun but being pro-national security.

Hopefully I used small enough words so you can finally understand such a complex and nuanced issue.

yes, i fully understand the masterful 11th dimensional chess of supporting/not supporting this bill in order to make the republicans look bad and get more dems in congress so we can get actual gun control soon (well, after we start using the no fly list to block gun purchases cause the protest was to force a vote on this bill, which the democrats don't really support but actually kind of do)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Condiv posted:

yes, i fully understand the masterful 11th dimensional chess of supporting/not supporting this bill in order to make the republicans look bad and get more dems in congress so we can get actual gun control soon (well, after we start using the no fly list to block gun purchases cause the protest was to force a vote on this bill, which the democrats don't really support but actually kind of do)

Yes, I'm sure John Lewis actually supports the no-fly list he's literally been on.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yes, I'm sure John Lewis actually supports the no-fly list he's literally been on.

he must or he wouldn't have tried to force a vote on a bill to strengthen it. likewise, here's another dem who found himself on the no-fly list and loved it: http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a46138/why-we-need-no-fly-list/

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
imo democrats should start supporting good policies and stop these nth dimensional chess games that only ever make them look horrible

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Neurolimal posted:

imo democrats should start supporting good policies and stop these nth dimensional chess games that only ever make them look horrible

Democrats are accelerationists too it turns out.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Neurolimal posted:

Bloody Queef posted:

Democrats are accelerationists too it turns out.

what part of we have to attack our civil liberties in order to protect them do you clowns not understand? the only way we will ever get rid of the no-fly list is by supporting it and expanding its powers. you naive children just don't understand anything

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Dems: actually, I was only pretending to be retarded

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Condiv posted:

he must or he wouldn't have tried to force a vote on a bill to strengthen it. likewise, here's another dem who found himself on the no-fly list and loved it: http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a46138/why-we-need-no-fly-list/

quote:

We've changed what gets people on the list before, so to say we can't both pass a "no fly, no buy" bill and also get people off the list who don't belong on it is dangerous, short-sighted, and a shocking lack of vision.

Yes, he appears to be perfectly happy with the no-fly list as is.

turtle_07
Jun 13, 2003

Hear, hear!
What do you people expect to happen when the Republicans are forced to respond and their hypocrisy is called out? The literal Republican nominee lies constantly about everything all of the time and it never seems to matter. This is worthless grandstanding at best, and legitimizes dangerous rhetoric at worst.

Edit: Why are you arguing that good will come from bad?

turtle_07 has issued a correction as of 04:48 on Jun 25, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

there should be a no-lie list... for politicians. on account of the fact that they lie a lot thanks

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
As if the American public gives a single poo poo whether or not the GOP is caught lying or being disingenuous about something.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Karl Barks posted:

there should be a no-lie list... for politicians. on account of the fact that they lie a lot thanks
looks like those clowns in congress did it again

what a bunch of clowns

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yes, he appears to be perfectly happy with the no-fly list as is.

he liked the line-skipping features of the no-fly list

quote:

Running a few additional personal details through their security system allowed me to board my flight, and for many years after that, I would skip the kiosk, walk directly to the front of the line at the counter, and say, "My name is on the list." Those words always got me instant assistance and on my way.

this no-fly list is sure convenient! everyone should be on it!

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

tranime scholar posted:

As if the American public gives a single poo poo whether or not the GOP is caught lying or being disingenuous about something.

Just as the American public doesn't care when the Democrats are being disingenuous about expanding the powers of a list they originally fought because it was a Bush policy.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Mirthless posted:

Which is why, for the record, I am entirely for using the republican established and supported terrorist watch lists to take away guns for republicans

If they don't want to see their rights get violated without due process then they can get rid of the loving list. If we're paying to maintain it I'd like to actually see it used for something other than harassing people with middle eastern sounding names

Jesus Christ. Two wrongs don't make a right. This is kindergarten stuff. No, this is preschool stuff.

No wonder this country is in such a sorry state. There are no grown-ups left on either side.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did trump break something is warrens brain or has she always been retarded

She used to seem cool when she was pushing for the cfpb but now just she goes on 50-tweet meltdowns @ trump

Kooky and sad!

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

paul_soccer10 posted:

She used to seem cool when she was pushing for the cfpb but now just she goes on 50-tweet meltdowns @ trump

Kooky and sad!

I think it's one of those things where a candidate seems super appealing until they get lots of national attention and then you realize that all along they were an idiot.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Let's give the government more control over our lives, then people will realize that is bad.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
As an accelerationist I think taking away the rights of more people will make them realize why due process is good.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Powercrazy posted:

As an accelerationist I think taking away the rights of more people will make them realize why due process is good.

It's worked out great so far. The fourth amendment is now functionally gone and look how many idiotic liberals are crying for more intrusion!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Condiv posted:

he liked the line-skipping features of the no-fly list

Global entry loving rules, yes.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

A Winner is Jew posted:

None of the proposed gun legislation would have stopped any of the shootings of the last 10 years. realizing that you're more concerned with tribalism and being able to feel superior to your political opponents, this won't change your mind, but fortunately not everyone is a pedantic partisan like you.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

paul_soccer10 posted:

Kooky and sad!

All you need to know about her is that most D&D type leftists like her politics and find her physically attractive

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

gobbagool posted:

None of the proposed gun legislation would have stopped any of the shootings of the last 10 years. realizing that you're more concerned with tribalism and being able to feel superior to your political opponents, this won't change your mind, but fortunately not everyone is a pedantic partisan like you.

:laffo:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
to the dems credit, it only took them 25 hours to realize everybody except the usual cheerleaders were thinking "wtf is wrong with these ppl"

though im sure this is only the first pawn of many, in the game of infinite dimensions

turtle_07
Jun 13, 2003

Hear, hear!

Neurolimal posted:

to the dems credit, it only took them 25 hours to realize everybody except the usual cheerleaders were thinking "wtf is wrong with these ppl"

though im sure this is only the first pawn of many, in the game of infinite dimensions

I so want to believe you, but part of me thinks that they are literally as out of touch as their 'victory' speech made them appear.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

turtle_07 posted:

I so want to believe you, but part of me thinks that they are literally as out of touch as their 'victory' speech made them appear.

When Anderson Cooper is your moral barometer, you can pretty much depend on behind about as popular as he is

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

You're agreeing with me then? If not then explain to me how any of the currently proposed legislation that your self righteous Heros filibustered for would have stopped any of the recent shootings. If you can't do that, then you should probably shut the gently caress up and recognize the reality that you are woefully ignorant of the issue and you really just want to engage in partisan cheerleading. Bonus points if you can explain how destroying due process is good for the republic.

turtle_07
Jun 13, 2003

Hear, hear!

gobbagool posted:

You're agreeing with me then? If not then explain to me how any of the currently proposed legislation that your self righteous Heros filibustered for would have stopped any of the recent shootings. If you can't do that, then you should probably shut the gently caress up and recognize the reality that you are woefully ignorant of the issue and you really just want to engage in partisan cheerleading. Bonus points if you can explain how destroying due process is good for the republic.

He won't. He pretty much toes the dem status quo in every thread and refuses to accept that they are ever wrong.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

gobbagool posted:

I'm :laffo:ing at you of all people calling anyone a "pedantic partisan"

just :laffo: at that poo poo

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Dems just seem terminally retarded when it comes to gun control. I don't even like guns but the second amendment exists and until it does not quit trying to pass unconstitutional bullshit that actually won't fix the problem in any way whatsoever. It's pretty clear this is an us/them in/out group fight though, a culture battle based on emotional response to guns. How and when we have these debates is proof enough. It would be like having a debate on transportation safety when a plane falls out of the sky. It's not the rare, high profile events that are the biggest problem it's the common everyday car crashes. Which is why the legislation proposed is always complete and utter garbage that barely even directly address the event being sensationalized, but more broadly completely fail to address the most commonly used weapons in the vast majority of shootings.

Scary looking rifles are almost never used. Cheap lovely handguns on the other hand... The no fly list is already a complete joke and honestly those people really ought to be ashamed they are using lovely bush era republican tactics to try and push garbage legislation they themselves know is terrible because it scores them some cheap political points. What a loving joke. The only saving grace is that the current batch of republicans are even less capable politicians or we'd be really screwed.

TROIKA CURES GREEK has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Jun 26, 2016

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm :laffo:ing at you of all people calling anyone a "pedantic partisan"

just :laffo: at that poo poo

You're the little skirt pull that's proud of paying super high property taxes for terrible SF schools, if anyone needs any additional evidence of your idiocy, besides your posting in this thread. Virtue signaling is the highest possible calling for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How much money do gun lobbyists throw at Dems?

• Locked thread