Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, the writing in the entire gravure section revolved around a weird kind of criticism of the gravure industry and creepy fans but it fell completely flat on its face because you got to see the female party members in sexy bikinis so tbh them just excising that entire concept is probably an improvement, especially since it clashed kinda heavily with the mood of the game otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oxxidation posted:

Per Nintendo Life:

So it looks like only some aesthetic stuff is being changed.

Fair enough, there's a few screenshots floating around of characters missing from a few scenes which lead me to believe that scenario's are getting rewrites. Most notable one I recall is some dude looming over a girl passed out on the couch, the party moving in to (I'm assuming) save her.

English version from the screens shown the girl on the couch was just gone though the dude was still standing over the couch with his back turned, group still moving in.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think there's something to be said that we shouldn't have these changes in the first place in 2016, but I honestly can't bring myself to care enough.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think there's something to be said that we shouldn't have these changes in the first place in 2016, but I honestly can't bring myself to care enough.

yeah this is about how i feel about it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

on the one hand these changes are unnecessary but on the other hand in some cases they can improve the game? and in some cases i feel like changes are being made between the jp and us version to improve or rebalance the game and people are calling it censorship even if it had nothing to do with that, like the quest changes in bravely second.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The quest changes were mostly misinformation, IMO. When its being spread as just "they removed the different outcomes to not make people sad" it's easy to get annoyed and think theres stupid meddling going on, especially when ontop of that they did stuff like changing an entire job's theme. The quest thing ended up definitely being for the better though, once the truth came out.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So is the whole battle system like the vid in the op? Because that looked kind of tedious, since the player seemingly did one command and then so much happened as a result. Is that what fighting enemies normally looks like?

Endorph posted:

on the one hand these changes are unnecessary but on the other hand in some cases they can improve the game? and in some cases i feel like changes are being made between the jp and us version to improve or rebalance the game and people are calling it censorship even if it had nothing to do with that, like the quest changes in bravely second.

Yeah, if the original stuff was bad then I don't care at all about them changing stuff.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im fine with the japanese version being used as a sort of beta test by the developers, although (and i don't think it's the case here), i would be a little leery of an independent translator deciding what they think is bad and what would make things better

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Momomo posted:

So is the whole battle system like the vid in the op? Because that looked kind of tedious, since the player seemingly did one command and then so much happened as a result. Is that what fighting enemies normally looks like?

It's really mostly just a variation on the Press Turn system, except instead of extra turns you get a few free hits in.

EDIT: How it works: Each character can learn up to 6 "Session Skills", which will be automatically used when an ally's skill hits an enemy weakness. For example, if Itsuki casts Zio on an electric weak enemy, Tsubasa will follow it up with the lance skill Elec-Lunge.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 24, 2016

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

glad to see video games are good now

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's messed up

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Chexoid posted:

#allnighter

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Chexoid posted:

Finally, a game that unlocks the true power of the WiiU GamepAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Was going to exercise some self-control and wait until morning to play, buuuuuut what's an hour or two or four

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

To be fair, the writing in the entire gravure section revolved around a weird kind of criticism of the gravure industry and creepy fans but it fell completely flat on its face because you got to see the female party members in sexy bikinis so tbh them just excising that entire concept is probably an improvement, especially since it clashed kinda heavily with the mood of the game otherwise.

Did it? I just played through that chapter a couple of weeks ago (in Japanese, of course), and it seemed to be a very straight take on gravure modeling. The entire point of the chapter was for Tsubasa to learn how to pose her body and make facial expressions to "capture the hearts" (or some such nonsense) of gravure consumers, which the game all but explicitly says really means making some middle aged men horny. This is presented as a good thing.

Gravure is perhaps the skeeviest part of Japanese idol culture and the only advantage I can think of for keeping it is to perhaps educate the western audience about that aspect of Japanese pop culture.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I'm gonna do it. I will buy the anime game. Wish me luck.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Sam Faust posted:

See you on the other siiiiiiieeeee.....

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm kinda interested in this. I love SMT games and actually own a Wii U already but the battles and story didn't look super great

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I've gotten more interested as I've seen more of the battle system and how light-hearted the story looks.

I did not know that the dual performance things were actually also attacks you can do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Gav2j_DTY&t=59s

It looks really cool.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

I did not know that the dual performance things were actually also attacks you can do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Gav2j_DTY&t=59s

It looks really cool.

For what it's worth, dual attacks are a late game feature. I'm about 60 percent into the game and they've yet to appear.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sam Faust posted:

You're a fool, you'll never make it!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I only had half an hour to play before work, but I got to save during that time so it's already better than Persona 4

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I pre-ordered this a month ago from Amazon UK and they only posted it today. :argh: I've had it posted to work also, and I'm off work on Monday (when it's supposed to arrive).

I would have gotten it locally but it looked like only GameStop had it, and were charging €80 for it (the regular edition). I just checked now and it's showing as "reduced" from €80 to €60, so I may just grab it on the way home.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

orenronen posted:

Did it? I just played through that chapter a couple of weeks ago (in Japanese, of course), and it seemed to be a very straight take on gravure modeling. The entire point of the chapter was for Tsubasa to learn how to pose her body and make facial expressions to "capture the hearts" (or some such nonsense) of gravure consumers, which the game all but explicitly says really means making some middle aged men horny. This is presented as a good thing.

Gravure is perhaps the skeeviest part of Japanese idol culture and the only advantage I can think of for keeping it is to perhaps educate the western audience about that aspect of Japanese pop culture.

okay now i'm even more glad they changed it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sometimes media can be kinda tone deaf, that being said I understand where people are coming from when they're wary of changes.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Inflammatory posted:

okay now i'm even more glad they changed it.

but think about the poor middle aged horny men... :/

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Instead of complaining about censorship, more people should be complaining about the real crime in this game, which is that Barry isn't a playable character,

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Why watch anime when you live in one.

(I love you Barry)

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Wait, Barry isn't playable? And here I thought this would be the game of the year. :getout:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

He's a support and part of the cast, I okay as long as we get more Bears.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

10 seconds in and the characters are screaming Carnage Form and doing magical girl transformations jesus christ what have I gotten myself into with this video game

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

10 seconds in and the characters are screaming Carnage Form and doing magical girl transformations jesus christ what have I gotten myself into with this video game

You've gotten yourself into a good time, brother

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You were warned plenty.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

whaley posted:

but think about the poor middle aged horny men... :/

Hi

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

I will fight for you to the bitter end

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Legit complaint is that there are no subtitles during battles. I had the first boss fight and a unnamed character jumped in and had this long-ish line/speech and literally nothing came up. Killed the boss and he started shouting something or another while stumbling dramatically.

During fights themselves Chrom and the others are jabbering away and they really couldn't think of a solution for this?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I've watched enough anime to get the gist of what was being said but the lack of battle subtitles is a really bad oversight.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

for real, there's no battle subs? That's pretty sloppy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is there a list of playable party characters, also a list of the fire emblem people you can make your fursona/persona/idol

• Locked thread