Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

Bufu is apparently some variation of a Sanskrit word.

You caught me mid-edit but that one didn't change.

If it is, then it's likely more of them than I recognized were Sanskrit. I only got Agni because of the deity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Prism posted:

They're SMT tradition for literally decades. :words:

Hey they just talked about a lot of things about SMT on Did You Know Gaming! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHYH50gPZVo

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

minusX posted:

Hey they just talked about a lot of things about SMT on Did You Know Gaming! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHYH50gPZVo

Did you know? That video was super boring.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Did you know? That video was super boring.
Ok cool but it was on topic talking about the spell names and Buddhist/Hindu influences?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just got to Chapter 3! I found the prologue and first chapter fairly boring, but the game is definitely growing on me. I like the balance that fixed skill paths and guaranteed player character weaknesses lends SMT mechanics. The second chapter dungeon was also pretty fun. Cheap healing is amazing, but they probably could have dropped EP altogether.

The disc load times are sometimes pretty annoying (3 seconds to load the menu, ugh). It's obviously a B-team game, but it still has lots of polish in the gameplay.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Holy poo poo I got this game at launch, played to the Chapter 2 mid-boss, then didn't touch it for nearly 2 months. :( I picked it back up last weekend and am now on Chapter 3, I spent ages in the Ch 2 Intermission just doing Side Quests.

Ellie seems so bad right now because nobody can session off her arrow attacks yet.

I love the combat system, I think it has some strengths compared to Press Turn, but it's quite similar in that if you don't exploit weaknesses and session enemies to death, they will definitely do it to you. I'd love another game in this style - just pick some other FE characters in each game and run with it as a new spinoff.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Mid chapter 3 and Tsubasa hits like a wet noodle. She was fine in Chapter 2, but it seems like she's getting her moderate damage skills a weapon or two later than everyone else. At least she was my first character to session while not in the active party.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

brainwrinkle posted:

Mid chapter 3 and Tsubasa hits like a wet noodle. She was fine in Chapter 2, but it seems like she's getting her moderate damage skills a weapon or two later than everyone else. At least she was my first character to session while not in the active party.

Her magic is decent early on but later chapters saw her riding permanent bench for me. She's a solid healer in a game where healing is better handled by another character (who is also the best tank).

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Tsubasa is...special. Please respect that.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It's a shame that Itsuki is a required party member because he has the worst costumes.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Saint Freak posted:

Tsubasa is...special. Please respect that.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

brainwrinkle posted:

It's a shame that Itsuki is a required party member because he has the worst costumes.

He wore a track suit for me until NG+. Those costumes are much better.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Tsubasa's texts are better than like 90% of the things she says in-person.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I spent 2 bux on the Atlus costume DLC specifically for Itsuki's DeSu2 costume and never looked back.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

orz is solid why hasn't it become mainstream

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

ChaosArgate posted:

I spent 2 bux on the Atlus costume DLC specifically for Itsuki's DeSu2 costume and never looked back.

Same. I can't bring myself to change Kiria out of her Jojos costume despite loving her EO3 princess outfit too.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Tsubasa=Waifu

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm on what seems to be the final stretch with a gauntlet going on it seems, looks like 2 more minibosses and a puzzle room between them and I enter the endgame. Had a blast with this game, hope they do more, heck maybe not even Fire Emblem, Atlus RPG #NintendoIP would be a good franchise. TMS #F0 would own.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

orz is solid why hasn't it become mainstream

On these forums at least we have :negative: to convey that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like Tsubasa

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I got to the mid-Chapter 3 boss fight last night and...did not do well. It's annoying fighting a boss who can trigger Sessions against the one party member who you can't swap out. :argh: I did go in somewhat unprepared, though.

Is Horseslayer effective against that boss?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Chapter 3 dungeon is kinda short and easy. It felt somewhat phoned in after the mid boss.

I think I got the mid boss on my second try on hard. I found Sukukaja + Sukunda to help tons for avoiding getting sessioned. Kiria also gets a special skill around there that is really powerful.

I think I need to grind out a few skills for the boss of Chapter 3. Wish the second half of the dungeon was longer.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The boss fight has only physical attacks, so it's way easier if you buy some attack mirrors.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Just finished Yashiro's first side mission

How does this game exist

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Oxxidation posted:

Just finished Yashiro's first side mission

How does this game exist

Atlus decided they wanted high school student protagonists, but didn't want to focus solely on daily school life + dungeon crawling the way the Persona games do.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Pastel power is disgustingly good and allowed me to clown on the Chapter 3 boss. I love Mamori's knight outfit.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finally beat the game! Final boss is a bit of a health sponge and i botched myself at the first try when he was nearly dead, but the second attempt was extremely satisfying when I swapped out Kiria (who kept getting killed on my first attempt) for Mamori who just ate stuff no problem and stopped every energy drain Had a great time, but:

gently caress Itsuki! loving child hasn't finished High School and now he owns a talent agency?! an agency that has 7 extremely popular and profitable talents, one of which is a hollywood star that got a worldwide office hit! Itsuki doesn't know poo poo of how to handle this side of the business and he's given essentially a selfsustaining agency that'll make him infinite bucks while he fumbles around trying to figure it out. gently caress, man. I thought he was just gonna become a director or something, not just be handed a spot at the top of a career

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just used Concentrate for the first time to take down the Chapter 4 midboss. They made it even better than usual in this game! Kiria's Pastel Power also combos extremely well with Tsubasa's radiant ability before you know the enemy weaknesses.

Should I be class changing already? I tried changing Itsuki, but it didn't look like it unlocked any new Carnages right now so I reloaded.

I'm not a fan of this dungeon. It's a little confusing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

brainwrinkle posted:

Just used Concentrate for the first time to take down the Chapter 4 midboss. They made it even better than usual in this game! Kiria's Pastel Power also combos extremely well with Tsubasa's radiant ability before you know the enemy weaknesses.

Should I be class changing already? I tried changing Itsuki, but it didn't look like it unlocked any new Carnages right now so I reloaded.

It's a free stat boost even if you can't unlock any of the weapons yet, so yes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

brainwrinkle posted:

There's absolutely no reason to not class change ASAP

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Finally beat the game! Final boss is a bit of a health sponge and i botched myself at the first try when he was nearly dead, but the second attempt was extremely satisfying when I swapped out Kiria (who kept getting killed on my first attempt) for Mamori who just ate stuff no problem and stopped every energy drain Had a great time, but:

gently caress Itsuki! loving child hasn't finished High School and now he owns a talent agency?! an agency that has 7 extremely popular and profitable talents, one of which is a hollywood star that got a worldwide office hit! Itsuki doesn't know poo poo of how to handle this side of the business and he's given essentially a selfsustaining agency that'll make him infinite bucks while he fumbles around trying to figure it out. gently caress, man. I thought he was just gonna become a director or something, not just be handed a spot at the top of a career

I like to imagine the after-credits where are they now section had a "Itsuki crashed the company into the ground and he had to liquidate everything" line but they cut it out to be more cheerful.

It really is hilariously stupid but then again most things in this game are and It's Fine Like That.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Ooof, the wedding dress is truly awful. The other changes were pretty good! Weird that they phoned this one in so much.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
What wedding dress?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tsubasa's ourfit for Fly, You're My Wind, I assume.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

Ooof, the wedding dress is truly awful. The other changes were pretty good! Weird that they phoned this one in so much.

"Just use white paint fill" "Uh you can kinda still see everything, she's just white" "yeah ok ship it"

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm starting to enjoy Ellie's character a lot more now. Also she's my first Fog Breath user so mechanically she is pretty great too.

Mamori is as overpowered as everyone says she is.

I really like the mechanics of this game, and I hope some influences from it transfer to Persona 5. There's kind of a weird uneven level of polish to the game though - load times are long and the menus are kinda clunky, but side stories will have unique music videos. You can kind of tell that it's a B team effort. I'm still enjoying it quite a bit though.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Chapter 5 was a boring slog. I'm kind of burnt out on the game. The final villain reveal was so incredibly weak. I'll try to power through it in the next few weeks to finish the game, but it was just a pretty uneven experience overall. When the characters are having fun interactions, it's very enjoyable. When you're watching the same session attack animations for the 50th time in an hour, it is not.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the final boss segment is amazing but if chapter 5 burned you out i can't imagine the last chapter is going to be pleasant

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

brainwrinkle posted:

Chapter 5 was a boring slog. I'm kind of burnt out on the game. The final villain reveal was so incredibly weak. I'll try to power through it in the next few weeks to finish the game, but it was just a pretty uneven experience overall. When the characters are having fun interactions, it's very enjoyable. When you're watching the same session attack animations for the 50th time in an hour, it is not.

I'm in the same boat, I got to chapter 6 and just haven't touched the game. Bosses used to be the only interesting combat part, but now it's all just Fog Breath->Strike a Pose->Session.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The encounter design was at least a little challenging and fresh early on when you had fewer tools. However, now that I have access to really powerful skills, it's very tiresome. The session mechanics mean they can't design enemies without weaknesses, so everything becomes similar except bosses.

I might just plow through the rest on easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This game really looks like budget Persona to me. I kinda want to play it but $60 is really steep. Is there any chance that the price will drop or do Nintendo games just stay at full price? I don't have a lot of experience with the Wii or WiiU to know how Nintendo handles this sort of thing.

• Locked thread