Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Radish posted:

This game really looks like budget Persona to me. I kinda want to play it but $60 is really steep. Is there any chance that the price will drop or do Nintendo games just stay at full price? I don't have a lot of experience with the Wii or WiiU to know how Nintendo handles this sort of thing.

The price is never going to drop, Wii U games are rarely discounted to begin with and this is too niche to be the target of a sale. Get it used, if anything.

It's really robust for a "budget" Persona, though. As mentioned above, the combat system can get repetitive towards the end, with your every attack chaining into half a dozen more, but it's got a ton of style, the script is on-point and it's got some of the most delightfully cheesy cutscenes I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It is an Atlus game also and they love doing sales for their 3DS output, but who knows at this point.

I got to the last dungeon before getting a bit bored of regular enemy encounters tho, so it was pretty well paced for me at least. That said, I didn't really use Strike A Pose that much until the final boss since it felt extra cheap.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

What do you mean by "budget Persona"? It's got a mix of some SMT/Persona and Fire Emblem mechanics, but includes its own new ones also to make it its own beast. The setting is closer to Persona than SMT but it doesn't have Social Links or anything.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

The price is never going to drop, Wii U games are rarely discounted to begin with and this is too niche to be the target of a sale. Get it used, if anything.

It's really robust for a "budget" Persona, though. As mentioned above, the combat system can get repetitive towards the end, with your every attack chaining into half a dozen more, but it's got a ton of style, the script is on-point and it's got some of the most delightfully cheesy cutscenes I've ever seen.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It is an Atlus game also and they love doing sales for their 3DS output, but who knows at this point.

I got to the last dungeon before getting a bit bored of regular enemy encounters tho, so it was pretty well paced for me at least. That said, I didn't really use Strike A Pose that much until the final boss since it felt extra cheap.

I forgot about the recent Atlus sales so maybe I'll get lucky and it will show up on one of those. It's been a while since I went into Gamestop but their uses stuff seemed like it was always just $5 off.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It should be mentioned that you can completely skip combat most of the time if you're finding it repetitive. You can attack enemies in the dungeon like in Persona, but simply hitting them doesn't enter combat automatically. You can just stab them and continue on your way.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Complaining about price. Sheesh we should be lucky we got it at all

And to think I complained about a lack of English voice acting

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm a little glad we don't have English voice acting, just because Barry's VA is perfect in every way

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Finally got around to beating this today (having a baby really cuts into gaming time) and I am incredibly satisfied with the experience. This easily has the most absurd premise of a game I've played, but everything is so well done and earnest that it all works.

When I first started playing I felt like it was more Persona than SMT, but my opinion quickly changed. It's only like Persona on the surface because the characters are high schoolers, but it more or less lacks all the things that make a Persona game a Persona game. There are no social links, you don't have to manage your time, and rather than your real life and your secret hero identity being at odds with one another, the two are intertwined in a much more organic way. The game also shies away from having more explicitly deep relationships. You're best buds with all the guys and the girls are all swooning over you, but it never goes any further than that. It's basically it's own thing with a few SMT trappings, namely spell names, weaknesses resulting in chain attacks, and Tokyo on the verge of an apocalypse. But while Unity was an interesting approach to progression, it really isn't anything at all like demon fusion. Basically it's its own game, which I consider to be a good thing since it felt fresh and we have SMTIV:A coming next week and Persona 5 on the horizon anyway.

I enjoyed the battle system well enough, but I definitely was using abilities near the end to avoid as many random encounters as I could. Somehow I beat the level curve or something and entered the Cosmic Egg with all of my Radiant abilities available but with no Performa to make them. So I spent a lot of time on the first few tiers of the Egg grinding out Performa. The last boss ended up being cake as a result.

I'm not entirely sure if there was enough content in the main game. I put about 70 hours into my playthrough, so I can't complain overly much as I feel I got my money's worth. Still, a lot of the requests were just doing the same thing over and over and every sidestory followed the same basic pattern (have a chat with a person, go and kill X number of enemies, fight a boss). I would have liked a bit more variation, but at least the writing in all of the stories was really good. I kind of wish there was just a little more exploration to be done. I got really tired of visiting the same dungeons over and over especially since they all had a gimmick for getting through them and the items or enemies you had to find weren't always in the most accessible of places (looking at you Shibuya camera maze!). Shibuya itself seemed massive when I first went there, but it became pretty obvious how tiny it was fairly quickly and there was only one other area even remotely similar to it and that place was only a single road.

You could basically take out everything Fire Emblem related and the game would be about as good. I didn't recognize most of the characters in it but I was familiar with their classes so I was fine mechanically. In any case, the plot was silly but the developers had fun with it so there's no reason to get hung up on anything.

Overall, it's one of the best modern JRPGs I've played. I'm hard pressed to think of a game I've played recently that I liked as much that wasn't also made by Atlus. I guess Trails of Cold Steel would be the other and it also hits a lot of those "not Persona but basically Persona" beats.

I wonder if we'll ever see anything like this again from Nintendo/Atlus. I'm guess it's one and done, but I thought Atlus did a really good job putting together a more lighthearted RPG than they usually do and I wouldn't mind seeing something with this tone from them in the future.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
After a couple months of playing off and on I finally beat the game. Conquerer pretty much wrecks the final boss.

Any good scenes in the epilogue? I am so burned out on the game that I talked to one team member and just shut it off. If there's anything as good as Yashiro's coming sidequest I'll boot it back up though.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Are there permanent missables in this game/do I need a guide to get hidden side quests?

I'm only two hours in but I love every cast member so far

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think the only thing is a duo session between Itsuki and Tsubasa. You need to be a good enough friend to her throughout the game and you should unlock it once you accumulate enough points with her. Basically, do all of her sidequests and pick the positive options in dialogue when they relate to her and you should get it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

I think the only thing is a duo session between Itsuki and Tsubasa. You need to be a good enough friend to her throughout the game and you should unlock it once you accumulate enough points with her. Basically, do all of her sidequests and pick the positive options in dialogue when they relate to her and you should get it.

Yeah this is the only missable and I haven't actually heard of anyone missing it. You'd have to be a constant consistent dick to Tsubasa to not get it.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah this is the only missable and I haven't actually heard of anyone missing it. You'd have to be a constant consistent dick to Tsubasa to not get it.

It's really fun to be a dick to her though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mamori is 11. I don't care if 'She's going to get dragged into it anyway,' she's 11. She's warming the bench out of principle. :colbert:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mamori is very strong

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bogart posted:

Mamori is 11. I don't care if 'She's going to get dragged into it anyway,' she's 11. She's warming the bench out of principle. :colbert:

Mamori is the best party member in the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bogart posted:

Mamori is by a significant degree one of the very best party members you can have.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bogart posted:

Give her a chance, and she'll warm up your heart with the press of a button! :black101:

... We need a Mamori version of :black101:.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I know she's good. But a 3D man has to stand by his principles. :colbert: Nobody under high school age should be fighting in my video games. I didn't let Ken in my party in P3, I'm not letting Mamori in now.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Let her fight, dog, have you seen that axe? Have you seen Draug? Have you seen the sheer warrior's power of Mamori Minamoto?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tiny girls with giant axes are a proud tradition

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Mamori's defense is so high that she's probably safer fighting Mirages than she would be eating cookies at home.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

How does leveling actually work with stats, I know it's not 100% like Fire Emblem because there's so much variance in the numbers

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

alcharagia posted:

Let her fight, dog, have you seen that axe? Have you seen Draug? Have you seen the sheer warrior's power of Mamori Minamoto?

She's in elementary school.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

She has like twice as much HP as everyone else

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Bogart posted:

She is a very tough elementary schooler.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bogart posted:

She could beat you up

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I am strong.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bogart posted:

I know she's good. But a 3D man has to stand by his principles. :colbert: Nobody under high school age should be fighting in my video games. I didn't let Ken in my party in P3, I'm not letting Mamori in now.

You are dumb.

Put the cute fifth grader in your party.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bogart posted:

She's a child star. There's no way she's in any school. Home school at best.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When I need to exploit axe weakness, I will. But other than that, she's warming the bench. :colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
That's really rude she wants to help.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Am I ever going to get a skill to the +8 maximum they talked about

Do I ever need to worry that I'm going to somehow ruin characters by not taking skills that show up once on a weapon in the early game and then never again

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
No, roughly at the midpoint of the game a mechanic unlocks that lets you get old skills back. The only one you can't get back is Mamori's accuracy passive because it's not on any of her weapons.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Finally got around to picking up this game and it's really exceeding my expectations. I've heard the whole "Persona Lite" thing used to disparage it but I really like it for that exact reason - although I do like the social link stuff in P3/4 it's kind of nice to just jump right into a dungeon and start killing enemies. Feels like the pacing of one of the DS games with Persona aesthetics and it's working really well for me. Barry being literal Marty Friedman is a wonderful hilarious surprise too.

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 30, 2016

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Started up again after getting distracted and boy do I love the look of the latter dungeons

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

brainwrinkle posted:

No, roughly at the midpoint of the game a mechanic unlocks that lets you get old skills back. The only one you can't get back is Mamori's accuracy passive because it's not on any of her weapons.

Cool that gets rid of so much skill build anxiety for me

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
is there another round crystal needed for the 146m elevator in Dolhr and, if so, where the hell is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bogart posted:

When I need to exploit axe weakness, I will. But other than that, she's warming the bench. :colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

Enjoy not using the game's best tank and its only good healer

• Locked thread