Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the boss of chapter 5 is a bad man please make him stop hurting me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

That's Excellus, right? Magic Mirrors are useful. If he casts an element that he's currently weak to, it can take him out without you having to do anything sometimes. Also, ignore his little assistant. He doesn't really do anything.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
no that was last chapter and he was a clown i'm talking about spooky myrmiman

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can't hit him in a counter state, except aoe attacks are still totally fair game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can use spells even in the counter state. Kiria still dies if the boss looks at her funny so that means it's truly Tsubasa's time to shine

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i just used mamori and yashiro the entire time lol

wait no i swapped in touma once

:v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh yeah I forgot Yashiro was forced and assumed you got to decide on two party members

I still used Tsubasa in my attempt but Mamori is probably the better choice

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
...yashiro was forced?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

alcharagia posted:

...yashiro was forced?

Yes. I mean, you're facing a copy of his carnage form, it's only fitting they'd force him in. Also I feel like there's a missed opportunity that Dark Yashiro wasn't actually Samto or something.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

...yashiro was forced?

You can't start the fight without him in the party and you can't swap him out. It's like a side story battle.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yashiro really doesn't want people thinking he uses boku.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
lol i didn't even fuckin notice, i never tried to switch him out

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
what WAS with that boss, anyway? Why was there suddenly an evil yashiro?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

gamefaqs posted:

Sadly no, I like most every character in this game except Barry; I can't stand listenign to him. The guy is basically the quintessential stereotype of an american in Japanese media complete with this HORRIBLE way of talking and poor attempt at at bad japanese accent (based on an native speaker pretending to have a bad accent). This crops up all the time in anime and I can never stand it - it's lazy writing and borderline insulting.

hahahahaha

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh yeah I forgot Yashiro was forced and assumed you got to decide on two party members

I still used Tsubasa in my attempt but Mamori is probably the better choice

I felt he was tailor made for Touma. Weak to spears, uses sword and fire attacks. Javelin Rain just wrecked face, fog breath was a nice bonus too.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think I spent about seven hours learning the meaning of friendship, love, meat buns and microwaves but now I have done every possible sidequest you can do by chapter 5 and any enemy that's not a boss or a savage just has to sit back and eat ten attacks in a row and die without any input from their part and I feel like a big strong man. Might also be close to the Chapter 5 boss i think? i stopped two of the energy beams (one while messing around with a Touuma sidequest and getting distracted)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think I spent about seven hours learning the meaning of friendship, love, meat buns and microwaves but now I have done every possible sidequest you can do by chapter 5 and any enemy that's not a boss or a savage just has to sit back and eat ten attacks in a row and die without any input from their part and I feel like a big strong man. Might also be close to the Chapter 5 boss i think? i stopped two of the energy beams (one while messing around with a Touuma sidequest and getting distracted)

Yeah, just a boss at Daitou and then one quick fight with no dungeon that's easier than the boss. Just did that myself.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I liked persona 3 and 4, and am looking forward to persona 5. I liked fire emblem: awakening. I watched a video of this and it looked really weird. Would I enjoy this game?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

redreader posted:

I liked persona 3 and 4, and am looking forward to persona 5. I liked fire emblem: awakening. I watched a video of this and it looked really weird. Would I enjoy this game?

Yes

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
this is a proto p5 in style.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

redreader posted:

Yes, you would. I've never touched a Persona and I enjoy the hell out of this game. If you like Persona, you'll love it!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So I just started NG+, what do I need to do to fight the secret boss?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ometeotl posted:

Have every other quest completed, and then trade in detritus to that guy in the arena like 30 times. There's another quest exclusive to NG+ I think you have to do, but it starts in the first dungeon and is really hard to miss.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Just finished Chapter 1 and so far my only major complaint is that I really wish I could mute Tiki, that girl's voice could make windows crack.

Also Kiria's Master getup is dumb as hell but her street clothes own so that's easily fixable.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Oxxidation posted:

Just finished Chapter 1 and so far my only major complaint is that I really wish I could mute Tiki, that girl's voice could make windows crack.

Also Kiria's Master getup is dumb as hell but her street clothes own so that's easily fixable.
Re Tiki: Just mash X.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

minusX posted:

Re Tiki: Just mash X.

You can just hold it (or was it y?) to basically skip all dialogue.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You can just hold it (or was it y?) to basically skip all dialogue.
I meant for cutscenes. For Dialogue yeah do that. You can hit Y for auto but that doesn't help in this case.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

You don't have to do every quest, at least not in one playthrough. I skipped the Frost-Anna requests in ng+ and it was fine. I'm pretty sure you do have to finish the other new quest in ng+ though, in addition to trading a lot of Detritus (30+ incense) and doing the 1st request for the Detritus guy. Also grind like a motherfucker, the Boss is lvl 99 and doesn't gently caress around, even on the easier difficulties.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So the credits are rolling, I like the song, it's good, but...

Did... did they just leave Abel in Tokyo? Is he stuck with Riku?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My stomach, like, legitimately hurts from laughing about this, they just left Abel there. Who cares. Game over. Good end.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I never even considered that holy poo poo :laffo:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Kashuno posted:

I never even considered that holy poo poo :laffo:

Apparently so didn't the devs.

:atlus:

sincx fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 10, 2016

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
They also left behind Lorenz. Oops.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is the Chapter 2 boss supposed to be a bit of a speed bump, difficulty-wise? Because I eked out a win at level 25 but it definitely wasn't a graceful one.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Not really? That's the first fight where you start having ma-attacks so you just use those every turn making sure the primary target is one that will cause sessions. At least on normal difficulty.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Is the Chapter 2 boss supposed to be a bit of a speed bump, difficulty-wise? Because I eked out a win at level 25 but it definitely wasn't a graceful one.
All the fights can kinda be this, learning that status effects make a huge difference in the series helps a lot.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Do the attack and buff/debuff names mean anything? They sound vaguely Buddhist.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sincx posted:

Do the attack and buff/debuff names mean anything? They sound vaguely Buddhist.

They're SMT tradition for literally decades. Some of them are (Agi is probably meant to resemble Agni, for instance), others aren't (like Bufu, or if it is a reference I can't guess to what). There are also a bunch that aren't in this game but are SMT standbys, like Zan (which kind of got pushed out by Garu), while others are new but follow the naming trend (like Tetraguard, which is just Tetrakarn except null instead of reflect). Though I don't know what the origin of all their names is, they generally don't change much game to game, so once you've learned what Rakunda does it's going to keep doing that.

Sorry if you know any of this, I don't know if you've played a SMT or Persona game.

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 12, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

They're SMT tradition for literally decades. Some of them are (Agi is probably meant to resemble Agni, for instance), others aren't (like Bufu, or if it is a reference I can't guess to what). There are also a bunch that aren't in this game but are SMT standbys, like Zan, which kind of got pushed out by Garu. They generally don't change much game to game, though, so once you've learned what Rakunda does it's going to keep doing that.

Sorry if you know any of this, I don't know if you've played a SMT or Persona game.

Bufu is apparently some variation of a Sanskrit word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

SMT/Persona games have always had some Buddhist and Hindu influences (mythological references if nothing else), so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the de/buff names were intentionally pseudo-Buddhist/Hindu.

It isn't in this game, or at least I didn't see it on my playthrough, but one of the high level physical AOE abilities is called Agneyastra, which is a Hindu mythological weapon. There are other similar abilities scattered around as well (Niflheim, the ultimate ice magic, is Norse mythological reference -- again, I don't think that one's in this game).

Zurai fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 12, 2016

• Locked thread